Chapter 4

Untainted

I hold a small cup filled with hot latte in my left hand. Been two hours and the coffee shop noona still unconscious. How tired can she be that she fell asleep on the road. This is my third cup and I hope I don't pass out like she did.

Ahh...matda...I should have gone back home to pass Hongjoong's money.

I sat on a bench right next to the automatic entrance door to the emergency area. The breeze outside is so cold, but thank goodness I'm wearing a thick jacket..The hot coffee helps too.

"Excuse me", I turn my head to the left, a nurse walking out through the entrance door. "She's awake".

I put down the cup from my lips and wonder how to react. How should I react? I don't know who noona is. Does she even want to see me? Should I just leave? If I go see her, what should I say?

I look up to the nurse and nod my head. "Thank you", and she left. I stand up and take another sip of my hot coffee. Enjoying the scalding liquid in my mouth, I stand up and make my way to the door.

I take a glance at a clock hanging on the wall while walking along the emergency area. It's almost 3am. I'm sleepy.

I reach the coffee shop noona's bed but curtains around it covering the area making me hesitate. Should I push open the curtains or just let them be? If I push them open, would it considered rude?

"I got your details and seems like you have an open file under Dr. Matthew", I hear a stern female voice. I'm guessing it's the same nurse that came to me earlier. Their voice sounded the same.

"Can I go home now?"a deep husky female voice asking. It's the noona's voice. She sounded like she just woke up from a sleep.

"It's getting worse,isn't it? You also missed an appt as recorded in the system. I will give your details to the nurse assigned at Dr.Matthew's office and let her set another date. Dr. Matthew will do a further checking on your condition..."

"What for?"

"For Dr.Matthew to check further..."

"I mean, what for? What are the checkings for?"

Her voice getting sterner. It starting to scares me. I never heard any female use that kind of tone before. Halmoni always speaks softly to me and always remind me to speak softly to other people. Never use a hard tone. 
 

"What are the appointments are for? What are the meds are for? I'm dying anyway, aren't I?!"

My eyes widens. Her voice sounded angry and sad at the same time. Dying? What does she mean by that? She just fell asleep on the road. People don't die by that, right? She can't die. Die is bad. Halmeoni died a few years back. Eomma and Appa died too. 

"What are you doing here?", a male nurse stands next to me with him holding a tray asking making me jump a bit.

He then pushes open the curtains and reveal two sets of eye looking straight at me.

"Here are your meds. After you consume them, you have to rest for about thirty minutes before you can go. Or nurse Choa can advise you further later after check-ups" he places a small plastic bowl with three different colours pills in it and a small plastic cup filled with water. He then left, leaving us three.

"Who are you?", coffee shop noona asks. What should I answer? I don't even know her name. Should I call her noona?

"He's the one who brought you here", the nurse named Choa replied on my behalf. Thank you Nurse Choa

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
"Hey...wake up"

I feel something poking my shoulder many times before I open my eyes.

"You okay?" Nurse Choa asks. 
I look around as saw the dawn breaking. I must have been too tired that I fell asleep.

"She left already. I thought she told you. You should go home" she gives a small smile before leaving.

I quickly reach for her hand. 
She turns to me with a puzzled look.

 

"Is she dying?"

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
The walk back home wasn't easy. I'm still leepy and my eyes won't open wide. I keep rubbing my eyes till it felt like falling out of their sockets.

I really need a deep sleep after this. I rustle the pocket of my pants feeling pieces of paper.

Ahh...I forgot. Hongjoong's money. I better get home quickly. 
 

I pushes the gate open when a fist reach my face. I fell on the ground from the sudden attack. The pain is killing me.
 

"Yah, Park Seonghwa. Where did you go with my money?" Hongjoong stands right next to me massaging his fist. I'm still trying to get my head together on what just happened.

Hongjoong then squat down and start pushing his hands into my pockets.

"Where's my money?" 
He keep feeling the pockets and pulls out some cash.

He gives out small giggles starts counting the papers. "I tol you, you only take four notes" he then throw four notes onto my face.

"Next time you do this again, I don't know what I will do to you.And clean up...you're bleeding"