D-Day

The Resistance: Rouge Demigod

 

 

Kyungsoo ran up to his friend, untying the noose around his neck and hugging him tightly. While Baekhyun was regaining some of his consciousness back and trying to bring his mind set into reality the general had ordered several demigods to capture Kai and tie him up.

Chanyeol stood in the center of the demigods.

 

“Take no care of what has just occurred. We must prepare for battle. Today is the day. Get your supplies and weapons of choice. The gate to the top of the tunnel will open in the afternoon,” He dismissed all the demigods.

 

Baekhyun could barely walk, but he felt strong hands help him up, Mina, Harmonia and Kyungsoo gathering his shattered soul.

 


 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Harmonia held back tears, “I’m sorry,” 

 

Baekhyun tilted his head in question, 

 

“I lied to you. Last night when I went into the general's cabin...we didn’t do anything rash. I...kissed him and that was it,” She admitted.

 

The son of Aphrodite caught his breath. It was like music to his ears, and yet part of him still didn’t want any of it to happen.

 

“I also...used charmspeak to do so…”she said shamefully.

 

Baekhyun understood. He nodded as if to accept her apology. 

 

“Why?” he asked.

 

“I was envious. You’re so strong and yet...beautiful. I understand why the general likes you. You’re the perfect man everyone women would die to be. I...understand if you don’t want to speak to me anymore,”

 

“Even if I didn’t speak to you, Harmonia, you're still my sister. We are connected by blood,”

 

She cried, more tears. She hugged him tightly, finding solace in Baekhyun’s warm embrace. 


 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

After morning training, he went where no one would look for him. The infirmary gave him solace at times like this. It wasn’t as packed since everyone was gaining strength and trying to keep alive. He sat on the edge of an empty bed thinking deeply.

It felt his plan was going to shreds and yet so easily attainable.

Chanyeol was a strong demigod, weak at heart. It was easy to use charmspeak on someone like him. 

Baekhyun considered going to find him. He wondered if it was appropriate, but he remembered he wasn’t the same Chanyeol and he wasn’t the same Baekhyun to him. He just wanted to wrap his arms around him like he used to. Wanted to take solace in his embrace, for him to tell him everything was alright.

 

“I was looking for you,” 


 

Baekhyun looked up to find Chanyeol slightly tinted yellow iris' staring him down.


 

“I was just...trying to clear my head,”

 

“Usually a hospital isn’t a very popular place to find peace,” He said teasingly.

 

Baekhyun would have probably laughed if it weren't for the lingering thoughts in his head about the upcoming d-day.

 

“Before we go to battle, is there anything you would like to know about me. I can’t guarantee that I’ll be alive by the end of it,” Baekhyun said.

 

Chanyeol raised his eyebrows. He fixed his white robes so they were perfectly falling straight, “What kind of question is that?”

 

“I mean...I’m not as gifted a fighter as you. And considering the fact you don’t believe in working together and it’s every man for themselves it only makes sense that I’ll die in battle-”

 

“I won’t allow it,” Chanyeol said at once.

 

Baekhyun's face flared red. Is this what Chanyeol had been thinking right before he was to be executed? He hadn’t known Chanyeol could be this manly. So demanding, so knowing of what he wanted. He missed old Chanyeol, but he certainly admired this one. It was like falling in love all over again.

 

“You’re just saying things.” Baekhyun whispered.

 

He should thank him. For saving his life moments before, but somehow he knew that Chanyeol did not like to feel indebted. 

 

“No. I’m meaning them.”

 

“Do you...have feelings for me?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“I don’t have to tell a child of Aphrodite how I’m feeling. It’s assumed,” Chanyeol was attempting to sound neutral, but Baekhyun already knew his voice wavered.

 

“So what? You’ve fallen for me so easily,” Baekhyun said in disbelief.

 

“It’s weird. I felt like I’ve known you my whole life…” he said, “I can’t seem to shake the feeling,”

 

“Perhaps that’s how love works,” Baekhyun said, “Are you not afraid?”

 

“Of what?” Chanyeol asked.


 

“Trusting someone? Especially someone like me,” he echoed the words Chanyeol had told him moments before.

 

“I wouldn’t be able to trust anyone else if it wasn’t for you.”

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

War was at the tips of their spears and arrows and bronze swords. Their army was fully equipped which made Kyungsoo, Mina and Baekhyun slightly nervous. They should have been feeling like the others, excited, curious for war, but they knew they were not real traitors they knew they’d have to betray this army at one point.

Just like Chanyeol had told them, the ground above them opened up. Like a pair of trap doors opening very slowly. 

It had been three months since the demigods had seen real sunlight.

Everyone immediately closed their eyes from the sudden flash of light.

 

“Never thought I’d miss something as simple as sunlight,” Kyungsoo sounded like he wanted to cry.

 

Above them, a flight of magical red stairs suddenly appeared. It was like pure magic, which Baekhyun assumed was all cultivated by Hesphestaus. 

He wondered where the god was. If he’d heard about his crimes. Had he forgiven him? Or not given much thought. 

Baekhyun had told the campers what he’d unveiled in his lair, but none of them seemed to believe him save for Kyungsoo and the others. He still had yet to mention this important fact to Chanyeol. Or perhaps he already knew?

 

Once all the demigods had safely reached the surface of the lair, they were surprised to see a calm and mellow countryside. It was similar to that of Adrian’s hide out when they’d met him two years ago. There was no longer a dreaded stuffy environment, only the calm and fresh air. Baekhyun savoured every last bit of oxygen while he could.

All the demigods chatted amongst each other, glowering at the scenery in front of them. Like Christopher Columbus had just discovered a new planet.

Above them was a small buzzing sound which eventually grew to become so loud it caught everyone’s attention.

 

“Is that?” Mina asked, “A ship.”

 

Baekhyun didn’t answer. He could only stare at the gigantic greek-style hull of a ship. On its head was a carved Greek demon. Engraved on the sides of the ship were various Greek scriptures Baekhyun would almost make out, but seemed like gibberish.

 

“Paralus,” Chanyeol explained, was the ship's name.

 

They all boarded the ship one by one. Baekhyun hadn’t ever been on a boat, much less a flying boat. He looked above him watching the purple flag on the mast move rapidly with the help of wind. 

 

“How are they going to get past the barrier?” Kyungsoo pondered out loud.

 

Baekhyun hadn’t thought that far ahead. Of course, all demigods could enter camp half blood, but if it was through a large ship it would be impossible. The barrier accepted half-demigod blood, not objects.

 

The son of Aphrodite held onto the railing of the ship balancing himself so he wouldn’t slip off when it lifted up by itself. He knew the ship was invisible to humans, but it still made him anxious to be aboard a flying monster such as this. 

He took a deep breath, unknown to the general who had found himself beside him.

 

“You said that Hesphestaus was storing the ambrosia nectar in his lair.” Chanyeol said in a low voice.

 

Baekhyun didn’t want to look startled so he didn’t move. Looking straight at the view below him, tiny people walking around like ants, buildings and houses scattered around without cause. 

 

“Yes,” He said.

 

“Is this true?”

 

“Yes,”

 

“Okay,” Chanyeol nodded.

 

The general didn’t say anything else. Baekhyun half-expected him to walk away and go back to his duty of manning the helm, but he continued to stand beside the demigod like it was his favorite spot.

 

“Is there...another question you have for me?” Baekhyun asked carefully.

 

Then, he looked up at Chanyeol who was staring out into the vastness of the sky. He looked calm. He looked...for lack of a better word, beautiful. Baekhyun hadn’t seen him in pure daylight for three months, but now that he did he could feel his body shiver and pulse rise. His face was slightly paler than usual and eyes tinted a shiny yellow. His hair which wasn’t long nor short twisted into tiny brown curls and his mouth curled up into the tiniest smile revealing his small dimple.

He wasn’t wearing those white roman-like robes like before. Instead, he’d resorted to a more western style. A white t-shirt and a oversized leather jacket. His pants were as black as obsidian, just hugging his thighs. 

The man was in serenity. His eyes are glassy and far away. Baekhyun could tell he had been through a lot since he’d joined the underground resistance. 

When Chanyeol had said okay a few minutes before, did that mean he believed Baekhyun? Was it that easy? He presumed no. 

 

“I never got to thank you,” Baekhyun said, his voice almost a whisper.

 

“You’re a valuable member to this team, Baekhyun. It would have been my loss if I let you die.”

 

It was almost like Chanyeol had planned to answer the unnerving question. Besides the fact that he’d half-confessed his feelings, he also had some explaining to do. Up until last week it seemed that all the general cared about were his rules and restrictions, the policies put in place to defeat camp half blood and receive revenge from all the gods.

 

“Do you hate the gods?” Baekhyun asked.

 

It came from nowhere, but it was necessary. Chanyeol had no recollection of who he used to be or where he came from. If he could answer this question, part of Baekhyun believed that perhaps he would remember something.


 

“I’ve come here to fight on behalf of the many campers who feel betrayed by them.”

 

Baekhyun opened his mouth to speak, but caught himself quickly. He was about to say how there was no reason to hate the gods, that they’d keep doing what they’d do and go on with their life. It was no use fighting a huge war against the very people who would have protected you in battle. But, he couldn’t bring himself to say any of it, because he knew what Chanyeol may say, Campers like you

The son of Aphrodite had forgotten he had also joined the resistance and if he were to argue against it, this would give him away. 

 

“So you don’t even have a personal vendetta against a god?” 

 

“Now I do,” Chanyeol sighed.

 

“Who?” 

 

“Hephaestus.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

Baekhyun explained to his friends as their ship continued to sail across the mediterranean sea what his conversation with Chanyeol was like. That he’d believed him when he said Hesphestaus had taken all of the demigods ambrosia. That he wasn’t fighting this war for anyone else, but him. It all made sense. Chanyeol, even in a drunken or hypnotic state, would have never started a war that easily. Something must have pushed him forward.

Prometheus came to mind as soon as he remembered this. Prometheus was a titan they’d fought last year. He was the one who’d given Chanyeol a mysterious ambrosia that he’d drunk out of desperation. Little did they know that liquid held the powers to erase Chanyeol’s memories and hold him hostage.

Baekhyun still remembered the titans words, 

 

Even if I vanish today, my legacy will still remain. 

 

It sent chills down his spine simply because it was true. It was the reason that demigods, one of the same kind, were going to war with each other. 

 

“Attention! The ship will descend soon. Everyone acquire their weapons shortly!” Chanyeol yelled from the top deck.

 

The three demigods who weren’t meant to go against camp half blood ignored the order, 

 

“What are we going to do?” Kyungsoo asked, “Won’t they be suspicious that we aren’t fighting the campers?”

 

“Of course they will, but we just have to...trudge on and somehow get to Alec’s cabin and explain everything.”

 

“Can we really do this?” Mina asked.


 

“Kai is locked up now, we don’t have to worry about someone keeping a special eye on us,”

 

Kyungsoo looked at him wearily at those words, “We should let him go,”

 

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow, “Why? He was about to execute me,”

 

“His father got the best of him. Haven’t all our parents done the same every now and then. We should give him a chance,”

 

Mina looked between the two, sensing for the first time, a small disagreement between the two friends.

 

“Why would you want to help him? He’s been born to believe resistance is his ultimate life goal.”

 

“He’s naive, I know...but if I can explain to him just-give me ten minutes. I swear.”

 

“Kyungsoo what you’re choosing is a dangerous path,”

 

“I know,”

 

“Fine. Last I saw he was put into the lower deck. If you can change his mind...then free him.”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes glittered with hope, “Thank you,” He ran off.

 

Mina looked at Baekhyun in question, but didn’t have time to ask when Chanyeol came up to them, throwing them some weapons.


 

“What are you doing here? The ship is about to land?”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Mina awkwardly held on to a dagger, while Baekhyun firmly held on to his bow and slung his arrows along his shoulder.

 

All the demigods walked over towards the front of the ship, watching below at the forcefield surrounding the camp perfectly lit up a periwinkle blue bubble.

Baekhyun didn’t question how they’d get through the barrier. He watched.

Chanyeol walked up from behind him, throwing him one small glance before standing right infront of him to cover his view. 

He raised his arm and moved in such a way that it was beckoning something forward. Almost immediately, something fell from the sky. No. Not something, things. 

Monsters. Of probably the thousands came raining down on the forcefield. Baekhyun could make out some cyclopes, several hundred minotaurs and several other monsters even with his seven years experience fighting them couldn’t identify.

 

The monster did their job quickly. They were used as bait. They thrashed against the barrier, some flew off with its power to deter monsters. 

After several monsters had perished from the force of the barrier, a new round came through and inch by inch with his own eyes Baekhyun saw his home being torn apart.

He wanted to yell and scream. To tell them to stop, but he knew if he gave up his identity now the camp wouldn’t fare well. Baekhyun’s hidden identity as well as Mina and Kyungsoo’s were the one thing he believed could stop this war. 

Baekhyun was so stunned by how easily the camp barrier broke he didn’t realize how close Chanyeol was standing in front of him now. He’d pulled out a shield too.

 

“Stand behind me,”

 

“Why?”

 

It felt like an earthquake at first, then like a tsunami of wind. The force field had broken. Into tiny shards of glittering glass. Baekhyun couldn’t see everything because the general stood in front of him, but to his left and right he saw thousands of pieces, pieces of monsters and glass and magic blasting towards them.

 

Clank. Clank. Clank.

 

Bakehyun heard the glass hit Chanyeol’s shield. 

 

When it had ended, Baekhyun moved the general aside to see what had happened. He looked down to see the camp. Campers gather around the training field looking up at their ship. His eye sight wasn’t great, but he could see Alec from the distance, holding a spear, his expression unreadable. 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Camp-half blood came with a peace offering first. Baekhyun was timid at first, but he felt strength standing beside Chanyeol, walking alongside his cause. 

Sebastian who he hadn’t seen in a while had his leg bandaged from last time. He held up a white truce flag, it was several feet above him.

No one had questioned where Kyungsoo had been, but all the rogue demigods had left the ship. Mina stood behind him, looking around the camp to see if anything had changed.

 

“Although not a very friendly entrance, we welcome you,” Alec’s voice boomed. 

 

He came to stand in front of all the campers who had their weapons drawn and faced fierce with violence. They wanted to fight. Alec had told them they would. To what extent? Baekhyun wasn’t sure.

 

The general who had no clue camp half blood had been his home for years lifted his chin in pride.

 

“I understand that one must play the good guy, but let's cut this short Centaur. You want no peace from us. We are resistance fighters. We come to get one thing and one thing only. Revenge.” Chanyeol announced.

 

If Alec showed any hint of emotion it was unclear.

 

Baekhyun’s eyes found Alec whose expression slightly softened. A thousand questions were perhaps running through his mind, or Adrian had told him everything and he was aware of why the son of Aphrodite was standing beside rouge demigods. 

But then he remembered a month ago when they’d left Junmyeon and his careful words with them. He’d known about their plan originally and he’d probably explained to Alec what was happening and why on earth four campers had disappeared and more importantly why they’d suddenly joined a rouge demigod force. 

It was no mystery at this point that Chanyeol was part of this resistance force, but he saw the faces of all the campers. They were shocked.

 

“Your cause is flawed,” Alec said, “You seek to destroy the kingdom of the gods, but you’ve come to camp-half blood. You’ve come to kill people who are innocent.” 

 

“You are wrong. We have not come to kill anyone. We are here to let you join us first. Join our cause and go to mount olympus and destroy that which has caused this very war.” Chanyeol seethed.

 

“How can we trust you?” Another voice from the crowd.

 

Baekhyun felt a sudden rush of sadness when he saw his long time friend, son of Poseidon look at him with distaste in his eyes.

 

“Junmyeon-” He started, but Chanyeol interrupted him.

 

“We will not spill blood without reason. “ The general said sternly.

 

“Very well, let us discuss this in more detail. Campers. Back to your cabins. And…”

 

“General Chanyeol,”

 

Alec nodded hesitantly, his nerve tingling after hearing the long-lost name.

 

“General Chanyeol, come with me,”

 

------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The campers dispersed, mumbling amongst themselves. Mostly they kept glancing back at Baekhyun and Chanyeol whom they felt had betrayed them. The two had been the camp's dearest for a long time. It was like one of your greatest heroes turning out to be scum. 

Baekhyun felt for them. He wanted to yell that he was on their side, but he knew he’d have to stay under this rouge demigod identity for a little longer. 

The resistance demigods on the other hand went back to the ship that had landed just outside camp half blood. Mina retreated back, realizing she couldn’t go back to everyone thinking she was a traitor.

 

Chanyeol followed Alec to his cabin shortly. He turned around to find Baekhyun was not following him.

 

“Come,” He gestured.

 

Baekhyun felt surprised, “Me? He pointed at himself.

 

“You can accompany me,” Chanyeol said, before turning around knowing that Baekhyun would follow.

 

The cabin was just as he remembered. Warm, cozy smelling of fragrant green tea and small water lili’s Alec would water in his free time. He glanced towards the staircase where he knew the oracle resided. He wondered how she was doing. Had she spoken a prophecy?

 

Alec made a motion for the two to sit down. Baekhyun comfortably took a seat on the two seated couch, crossing one leg over another. Chanyeol watched him carefully. Has he caught on that he’s been here several times now? If he did...did it matter? He used to be a camper. That was common knowledge.

 

“I want no war, like many others.” Alec began.

 

Chanyeol who was sitting uncomfortably on Alec’s couch frowned, “Wars happen  for one reason only and that is because of the gods above our heads,”

 

“You preach about a cause that you so blindly agree upon. Yet, you have no recollection of who you are. Where were you born and how were you brought up?” 

 

Beside Alec stood Junmnyeon. His face said it all. He seemed hurt and broken to pieces to see some of his closests friends go against the camp. Even though he knew the truth, it wasn’t so far off to suggest that perhaps they’d joined the resistance for real. He kept glancing over to catch Baekhyun’s expression.

 

 

“I do not need to know my past,”

 

“Our past is what shapes us. It is the very reason so many rogue demigods have joined you.”

 

“This is nonsense,”

 

“Do you not ever stop to wonder where you come from, Chanyeol. I can show you,” Alec said.

 

Baekhyun nervously felt his hands curl up to stop himself from finding a weapon. He could feel Alec’s strong attitude, Junmyeon's anger. They were angry. And they would tell Chanyeol who he was and his lost memories. But the general wouldn’t believe them. 

 

“Stop this,” Baekhyun stood up,


 

Alec crossed his arms. He looked at Baekhyun with those same eye’s he’d seen a relentless amount of time in his dreams. I’m disappointed in you.

 

“Don’t you dare even speak!” Junmnyeon suddenly stood, his weapon drawn in a rash manner.

 

Baekhyun blinked slowly, but was too naive to realize the son of Posiden was going to attack him. Chanyeol was the one to draw an arm in front of him.

 

“Do not talk to my army in such a way,” Chanyeol clenched his jaw

 

“Baekhyun, you swore your life to this camp. You can’t seriously be leaving us in the dirt for so many years. Think about us. Think about...Jongdae.” Junmnyeon's voice broke at the last word.

 

At the sound of the name, Baekhyun felt his anger rising then too. This was no place to bring Jongdae, a man who was resting in the underworld to be brought back into present affairs. He greatly wanted to take out his arrow and threaten the demigod from speaking any further, but Chanyeol's expression caught him off guard. He looked curious and confused at the same time.

 

“Don’t…” Baehyun took a deep breath, “Don’t bring him into this.”

 

Furious, face growing a cherry tomato red-Baekhyun was appalled by Junmnyeon behavior. He knew out of everyone that wasn’t actually a traitor? What was making him believe it otherwise? 

 

Alec held his hand up to silence all of them.

 

“What is your general decision? We can end this war right now and all your campers are welcome to live at camp half blood.”

 

“And live under the rule of the gods? You’ve mistaken my sentiment.”

 

“I am showing you an easy path,”

 

Chanyeol sighed. It was a tight strained breath of a person who no longer felt they could argue any longer. He was done. That was it. They’d be going to war and Baekhyun would have to join him.

 

“I give you this night's rest. By morning we will attack the camp. I bid you farewell,”