Smoke and mirrors

Just Keep Swimming.

 

Ji Soo P.O.V

It was a long time before I came back to my senses. My eyes were left raw from crying. Pain shot up my body as I picked myself up from the floor and limped to the nearby mirror. I was a mess. I grabbed a water bottle and tried in vain to wash away my tears. It was plain as day that I had been crying. I surveyed the room. Evidence of our fight was everywhere. I sat down on the couch as the strength left my body. I stared intently at the dirty floor willing it to give me answers. It did. I discovered a small opening on one of the floor boards. I frowned as I found a secret latch which revealed a small compartment beneath. Inside was a red velvet box. Why does this look so familiar? Without hesitation I ripped open the box and jumped when I saw the contents. If only I had put it back and left it alone. If only I was smart enough to not get involved. If only… if only... my hand automatically reached out for the photo on top. Fresh tears blossomed in my eyes as I surveyed the people. They were in a time that felt like so long ago, their smiles, their innocence’s rocked me to the core. I watched as my mother looked at me with those loving eyes, my father smiling as if he didn’t have a care in the world, zelo pulling the cutest pout I’d ever seen and … Yong gook and I looking into each other’s eyes smiling as if the whole world was ours. For a moment it was. I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry at the bitter irony this photo possessed. It showed me what I had and how I could never have it again. The next item killed whatever hopes I had for the future.

***

Zelo P.O.V

I lost all sense of direction as the car raced down unfamiliar streets. Beads of sweat started to form on my brow. I stared down at cold metal in my hands. I got a head rush just thinking about what I might have to do. Is this really the only way?

-Flashback-

“Joon Hong ah!! Bballi wa~!”

I giggled as Yong Gook hyung wrestled me playfully to the ground. We laid there laughing until JiSoo came to get us with a scowl on her face.

“Yah what are you two doing?”

“Noona~! Why we are just having fun,” I gave her the cutest pout in my arsenal making Yong Gook laugh as her face turned red. She hated it when I used my cuteness to get what I want.

“Aish! Fine,” she squealed as Yong Gook brought her down to us. He managed to get both his arms round us and pull us into a headlock. We were kicking and screaming as his booming laugh resonated around the park. The lush green grass felt good on my back as I lay back beside them watching the clouds go by. I managed to catch two flashes from a camera. I whipped my head round to find its source.  I found my father staring at us with a goofy smile on his face.

-End of flashback-

I shuddered at the memory. I couldn’t believe how one little photo could cause so much trouble. I tightened my grip on the gun in frustration. Why? Why did this have to happen? I knew my duty but it pained me to think about it. I looked up to find Him Chan studying me carefully, with his cold eyes. It seemed as if the whole world had stopped and I was into his gaze. His mouth slowly pulled into a thin smile. I couldn’t help but stare. I can’t trust him, my mind begged me to look away, to stop before he claimed me as his own. I could barely control my own body. I felt myself inching towards him. Slowly. Closer. Until, the car jolted suddenly roughly pulling me out of my trance. I shook my head and concentrated on what I had to do. I have to do this before she finds out the truth, I sighed slowly. I knew that for every day we waited Ji Soo was getting closer and closer to the truth. I cursed as I thought of Yong Gook’s erratic behaviour. I took a deep breath as I faced that familiar door. It led to the very evil that plagued my heart. It led to the sister I loved. It led to the end of everything.

Ji Soo P.O.V

I replayed the recording over and over again. My heart ached with fear every time I heard my father’s tearful voice.

“JiSoo ah, if you’re hearing this then I’m either dead or in trouble. I’m so sorry to have to do this to you and your brother but I have no choice. Yo…”

Yong Gook burst through the door and grabbed my arm mercilessly. I let out a scream as I stumbled to keep up with him.

“WHAT DID YOU SEE?!” He yelled as he shook me violently. I gasped for breath as the voice recorder fell out of my hands.

“Band Yong Gook!” my eyes widened with shock as Him Chan made his way towards us, followed closely by my brother.  I could see he was scared. I wanted to run over to him and take him away from this place. No, why did he have to see this? I was shaking with anger and fear. Him Chan had a plan, I could feel it. Before I even had a chance to protest, Yong gook grabbed me by the neck and held me to his chest. I saw zelo’s eyes widen then narrow with anger. He was the type that never got angry. I felt something cold touch the side of my head. I watched as Him Chan smiled gleefully at me. He’s enjoying this isn’t he? I gulped as Yong Gook slowly my face with the gun.

“Now now, Gook ah, that’s no way to treat a lady.” 

“And what would you know about that?”

Him Chan’s booming laugh echoed within the hall. “I’ll give you that, Yong Gook. I hope you know what you’ve got yourself into.”

Yong Gook spat and looked Him Chan dead in the eye. “Don’t come in here thinking you know everything. I won’t let you take her away again. Too many people have died.”

“Most caused by you if I remember correctly.”

“That wasn’t my fault and you know it.”

Him Chan scoffed, “Is that what you tell yourself? I wonder if you told her yet. The real reason her parents died.”

I felt Yong Gook tense, was the recording really true? The reality hit me as I began to sway on my feet. I felt sick and hurt all over. I vaguely watched my brother run towards me.  I begged him to go home but my words became slurred and inaudible as the world started to spin. I heard two gun shots, then the world went black.

#################################################

Sorry if this chapter is lame, I just got back from school and I'm incredibly tired. I mean it's on 9pm and i want to just curl up in a ball and sleep. hahah well i won't rant. :D I'll update as soon as i can ^^