The not so new Kid

Just Keep Swimming.

 

“Jun hong ah! Wake up!! Balli! We’ll be late for school!” I quickly packed his lunch and raced into his room. “Aish! Why aren’t you awake yet ah? Yah!” I ripped the blanket of to expose the lazy body beneath but found nothing.

“Noona.” I turned quickly to the voice behind me. “Stop being so loud.” There he was, just standing there smirking at me. Why in the hell did he get all the good looks, I grunted and finished getting ready.  I jumped in the car and ripped of my blazer .

“kaja!” I smiled and adjusted my mirrors, which revealed the middle of my forearm. Zelo stared and sighed.

“Noona…”

“What?”

Zelo grabbed my arm and lightly touched the purple mark that had surfaced. I whipped my arm from his grip and turned away.

“Let’s go or we’ll be late.”

***

I grabbed zelo and gave him an affectionate squeeze, “Have a good day jun hong ah.”

“You too noona,” he whispered looking at me with those sad eyes. I felt the guilt consume me, if only he had someone who could really look after him. I proceeded to my locker, my stomach twisting and turning with undeniable guilt. Why does this have to happen to him, he is such a good kid. I could feel the tears stinging my eyes. I reached out to the locker for support as I closed my eyes and tried to contain my grief. Then I felt it. A hand placed on my shoulder. I turned to see who it was. What I saw only made me feel worse.

“Hey baby. Did you miss me?”

“A-ah n-ne, oppa.”

“Of course you did.” He smiled darkly at me as he looked me up and down.

“O-oppa I think we should go to class now.”

“I’ll tell you when we do or do not go to class.” He paused and leaded in close. Our noses were almost touching when he whispered.  “Today we’re not going to class.”

My voice faltered as I tried reasoning with him, “Oppa, I don’t think that’s a good idea, we have an exam next week.”

He scoffed and grabbed me by the arm. His grip was so tight I could feel his fingers imprinting into my arm. We were almost outside when a voice called “Bang Yong Gook! Where do you think you are going? Hurry up and get to class! Now!” My homeroom teacher stood with her arms crossed and a stern look on her face. I couldn’t help but breathe a sigh of relief. I was only greeted by a narrowed glare from Yong Gook. I hung my head and scurried to class, dreading the end of the day.

“Ok students we have a new transfer student joining our class. His name is…”

“Yoo Yong Jae” the boy announced with a cute but shy smile on his face. He reminded me of a puppy.

“A-ah ye, please make him feel welcome. Yong jae, you can take the empty seat next to JiSoo. JiSoo if I could ask you to show him around.”

“Ne sonsaeng nim” I smiled at the new student and gestured to his seat.

“How is it I get to sit next to such a pretty girl,” he teased.

“Wait till you see my brother,” I retorted, making the class giggle. Only one person watched with concerned eyes. He shook his head and stared out of the window, anticipating the coming storm.

***

“Well I think I’ve shown you just about everything now.” I declared, clearly happy with myself.

“You were a fantastic guide, thank you.” Yong Jae bowed a full 90degrees.

I giggled at his politeness, “Yong Jae sshi, you don’t need to be so polite.”

“Oh, geurae? Ok then Jisoo ah. You can call me oppa.” He flashed me a huge smile with anticipation in his eyes.

“Hahahahhaa.” I couldn’t help laugh at his childishness. The orange sunlight made his eyes glitter, making me fall deep into his gaze. He took a step forward. I could barely breathe. He came closer still, with a burning passion in his eyes.

“Noona!”

A familiar voice broke my trance.

“Noona, we have to go home, I have homework. Balli!!”

“A-arasseo. Jun Hong ah, go to the car and wait for me.”  I turned to Yong Jae. The setting sun only made him more beautiful. What am I doing? I shook my head desperately trying to clear my thoughts. “Yong Jae Ssi, I-I should go now.”

He was still staring with those perfect eyes. I knew I had to leave before I did something stupid. I turned and ran to my brother as fast as I could.

***

Yong Jae P.O.V

I watched her run away from me again. I bet she doesn’t even remember the first time, I sighed heavily as I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“I hope you know what you are doing,” Him chan breathed on my neck, causing me to shiver. “If you don’t you won’t be able to save her this time.”

I merely nodded and watched the setting sun. He was right and he knew it. Damn, this is all my fault. I looked up at the looming school roof and saw him.  , how much did he see? I started to panic and glanced at Him Chan for help. He just shook his head and walked away saying, “That guy is known for over reacting. You’d better clear this up quick.” Panic had fully set in. My heart felt like it was going to burst. The figure on the roof took out his cell phone and vanished out of sight.

JiSoo P.O.V

I’d just reached the car when my phone rang. My heart sank as I read the text,hey baby, I think it’s time for our next date. The sky suddenly turned dark as I dropped myself into the car.

“Noona?” Zelo’s voice seemed so far away.

“Jun Hong ah, noona is going to take you to Dong Ho oppa’s house now ok.” I did everything I could to sound cheerful but I knew it wasn’t working. Zelo just looked at his feet and nodded. We continued our drive in a stifling silence.

I finally left Zelo and went out into the dark to face my demons.