Fight or Flight

Push and Pull
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Tzuyu awoke, she initially thought she was dying.

When she jerked out of sleep, simultaneously freezing and burning up all at once with a headache painful enough to surpass any she'd had, her first thought was: this can’t be right.

Tzuyu rolled over painfully onto her side, lifting her hand to press the back of it to her forehead. Her skin was practically searing with heat. All things considered, she didn't have enough energy to find the will to get out of the bed: which is a first. Tzuyu is a morning person, always been a morning person. She pulled her blankets up over her body and curled up into the smallest ball possible, shivering even though she knew she had to have been burning up. She had a glass of water on the nightstand, but even the thought of extending her hand to get it made her wince.

She stares on the ceiling, blinking her eyes slowly. She would have liked then to have had someone to give her a paracetamol and some water, to brush her hair back from her sweaty forehead and to take her temperature, -- even just to hold her hand. Huh. She grips her comforter and breathes slowly, closing her eyes tight at the thought. Since when did she ever crave affection?

She didn't want to admit it to herself, but the one person she wanted was the same person she usually yearned for whenever anything happened: anything even slightly good, or anything remotely bad. She was who she wanted to share it with first.

But she could never allow herself to subject her to this blatant expression of fragility and dependency.

She became aware of the little things, first. Like the scent of lavender and fresh tea in the air and the cool washcloth on her forehead. She was covered with a lighter blanket than before, but somehow she'd gotten a pair of warm socks on her feet.

"...Did you cook?" Tzuyu's eyebrow arched, as she tried to sit up and lean against the headboard of her bed, watching the girl as she carefully made her way towards her and sat on the edge of the bed.

"Chicken noodle soup!" Sana said cheerfully, setting down Momo’s laptop table on Tzuyu’s lap, then the bowl next. Sana grabbed the fluffy pillows and used them to help prop Tzuyu up, just to make sure Tzuyu is comfortable.

“I’m gonna… sound ungrateful, but have you… done this before? Is this… edible?” Tzuyu coughed in between every couple of words, as she eyed the bowl of soup warily, and with good reason: Sana can’t cook. Period.

And Tzuyu didn’t expect Sana to.

She remembers calling her, asking her to drop off some medicine for her. She remembers Sana wearing her work clothes in between drifting on and off. And she barely remembers telling Sana she got things under control and trying to make Sana leave the apartment.

But low and behold, here she is. All changed up with Momo’s shirt and pajamas, her hair tied in a bun.

“You can Youtube anything these days!” Sana, ever so brightly says, getting a scoop of the soup, then blowing over it.

“That’s what you said last time,” Tzuyu murmurs as she swirls her spoon, looking at the ingredients carefully. She can’t trust her tastebuds and her sense of smell but, she can remember how Sana loves pouring salt and chili powder for extra flavor in everything.

Sana frowns when Tzuyu sounded like is scratching. And maybe it is.

"No, I’m actually quite confident with this one. Also, I looked at the other recipes Jeongyeon sent and this one looked like something I can do." Sana pouts, handing her patient the glass of water from the bedside table.

You didn’t have to stay, is what she really wanted to say. But Tzuyu went with, “You didn’t have to cook.”

“Momo said you’d prefer home-cooked.” Sana turned to her patient, and immediately broke out into a grin, and then she kissed her forehead, keeping her lips there for a little longer than usual.

It might have just been her illness, but the pink tint to her cheeks may as well have been a blush, seeing as the woman was flustered by the sweet action.

Tzuyu fans herself and looked around the room, “Are you sure we can’t open up some window?”

Sana shakes her head, “Momo said it’s better if you sweat it down as you hydrate. Your fever's down a bit! Still higher than I like to see, but better considering how bad it was when I got here." Then she dispensed pills into her palm. Tzuyu tossed them back into and swallowed them with a mouthful of water. She was feeling a little better, but her head still hurt a bit and she still had the chills.

Sana giggles at her side and leaned into her, “Hey, look at this.” Tzuyu alternated between dozing against Sana, listening to her ramble on, and consuming small amounts of water and bread.

“What? Are you gonna show me another selfie?”

“Good to know you have enough breath in you to joke around in between coughs,” Sana nudged her and pats her head, “And, why would I do that, when you don’t even hit the ‘Heart’ button?”

Sana shows her phone to her and on the screen is a video of a Conservatory of Pandas and in it are the cute whites with black patches tumbling down in their little nurseries.

When it brings a smile on her face, Sana grins. “Scooch over?”

Her request was met with a few flails, and Tzuyu sneakily snatching Sana’s phone for better view of the pandas.

"Nooo~~ You’ll get sick," Tzuyu argued. "And I feel disgusting." She rasped, her voice cracking. "I'm too hot and too cold all at once."

“It’s just in your head. I already changed your shirt.” Sana insisted, coaxing Tzuyu up. “I asked so you can have the false pretense that you have a choice because you know I can easily move you.”

Tzuyu groaned into her blanket, but didn’t move. All in her head? “A cold is not something you can overcome with sheer will power.”

Five seconds later, Tzuyu was worming her way to the other side of the bed and Sana going under the covers.

Against her pillow, her voice muffled, Tzuyu says, “You’re bossy. You can’t be a nurse.”

“Is it the lack of costume?”

“More like the bedside manner.” She smiled back at her, suddenly feeling less weighed down.

Tzuyu would blame her cold, but when Sana got settled, she molded herself against her side, throwing an arm across her stomach and holding onto her waist. She pressed her face against her arm and felt warm for the first time since this morning.

"You're funny when you're delusional." The Sana responded. "And presumably quite cuddly. This is much better." Sana whispered against her temple, as she ran her fingers through her hair, almost reverently, and was uncharacteristically quiet.

"Sana?" she asked her, sometime later when she was already drifting into a doze.

"Mmm?" Sana replied as she continues to scroll on her phone.

Tzuyu wanted to thank her then, wanted to thank her for taking care of her. But she couldn't figure out how to say it -- to show how much it really meant to her.

Just when she was contemplating on the words, they heard a faint, “I’m home!” from the living room, undoubtedly from Momo, and foots steps following right after. “Tzuyu, how are you feeling?”

Tzuyu snuggles to Sana one more time, sighing to herself. "I'm starting to feel much better now," she whispered once they pulled apart, half-awake and half-asleep to deliver the words cautiously. She could feel her slight blush beneath her palms that were still holding her face.

Before she can look up, Sana had kissed the top of her head. “That’s what I’d like to hear.”

Momo clenched her hands in fists at her side. She couldn't believe that she had actually agreed to go to an amusement park with her roommate, Tzuyu. She wanted to do something nice for Tzuyu for her graduation: maybe a skiing trip, or a country-side tour. But definitely not a day at the amusement park! But what was she supposed to do, when Tzuyu had off-handedly said she’s never been to one in her adult life and she wanted to try it. Her eyes were b with enthusiasm, and Momo could honestly say that the expression she made was similar to a child's.

It was much easier to get away with things like that.

Tzuyu's eyes light up as she whips out four tickets on her hand, waving it in front of Momo like she'd just won the lottery. The words "amusement park" comes to view once she's positioned it right in front of her face, and she blinks back with obvious nausea.

"Happy now?" Just the thought of all those fast-rolling coasters and towery-heights made her head ache, and the world seemed to be spinning a bit. Clearing , she tries her best to show off her a smile—that came more of a grimace.

Tzuyu, uncharacteristically grabbed both of Momo and Dahyun’s arms, locking it into hers as she grins, "I know you guys would most probably vomit, but… there's no one else I'd rather go with! We're going to have so much fun, I promise!"

Somehow, Momo and Dahyun found it difficult to say no—not like there’s even a small window of escape. It almost felt like they couldn’t put up a fight.

It would just pain them to see her unsatisfied for their sake. Tzuyu doesn’t usually ask for much. And if this is what she wants, then they’d go with her.

It cost quite a bit to get into the amusement park, so Dahyun was happy she didn't have to pay anything – with Momo insisting it’s her gift to them, a fruit of her sweat and labor, taking extra hours and all.

Dahyun looks at the map as she waits till Tzuyu finishes tying her shoes. “I don’t think I can ride 90% of the monstrosity that are here.” Dahyun says, frowning on the map.

Tzuyu stands up and gets her backpack from Dahyun’s hand and taps her back. “You’d live.”

Momo shrugs, as she looks around, looking for their friend always fashionably late. “Doing something right doesn’t always end up profitable.”

Tzuyu tip-toes on her spot, without tearing her eyes from the park map, “I love your capitalism spirit.”

As they wait in front of the gates, Dahyun points to rides she knows she will never ride, and Tzuyu shaking her head, saying she should ‘conquer her fears’. Dahyun pouts and says, “You don’t like your job. You should quit.”

They were given bracelets so they could go on any ride they pleased for the entire day. Momo was fixing hers on her wrist, when she replied, “But the pay is good. We’re only stressed on every end of the month. The rest are pretty chill. Besides, when Tzuyu starts working, we can look up another place, get a bigger one.”

“I can’t imagine you guys living somewhere that isn’t 43B. I love your place so much.”

“Eh… You don’t love the place. You love us.”

“You may have a point.”

Momo shrugs, “Also, we can have another room for Sana. She comes over frequently anyway.”

As if being summoned, Sana arrives. "Hey bit-" Sana trailed off when her eyes landed on Tzuyu who had just finish giggling at something Momo had said.

"Cat got your tongue?" The Momo asked with a teasing smile as she waits till Sana walked over to them.

For a moment Sana kept quiet, her eyes still fixed on Tzuyu’s head. Then she finally found her voice again, "You cut your hair."

"Uh-huh." Tzuyu confirmed, touching the ends of her hair, smiling cautiously.

"Why did you cut your hair?" The frown on Sana´s face was adorable.

Tzuyu crossed her arms and pouted, "Don´t you like it?"

"That´s not the point," Sana replied irritated. On the top her head is something definitely inappropriate to say out loud. She reminds herself it was her rule not to imply anything, especially in front of Momo. So she opts to say, "Why did you cut it off? Is something wrong? Did Momo do something?"

Momo frowns and looks to Sana quickly, it almost made her neck snap, "No, why would you think that?"

"Because the media and personal experience tell me that woman only cut off their hair if something´s going on. And the something is almost never positive. So what´s wrong?"

"Nothing´s wrong," Tzuyu told Sana with a smile. "We’re graduating,” Tzuyu nudges Dahyun with her elbow, and Dahyun only grins at Sana. “I thought it’ll be fun to do something different for once."

Sana didn´t look convinced, she tilts her head, scrutinizing her once again. "It´s okay, I guess."

"I’m only pretty with long hair or what?" Tzuyu asked frowning.

"No. Even if you´d decided to cut off all your hair, which I would advise against considering the shape of your head, I´d still love you," Sana said honestly, even winking at her. She curls her finger, putting it on her chin, thinking it over: a bald Tzuyu that is. She nods, pouting a little, "I would most probably refuse to be seen outside with you, but I would still love you."

"You are such a ," Momo comments, laughing as she hits Sana’s arm lightly.

Moving past the ticket booth, Tzuyu grabbed Momo by her wrist and dragged her along. Surprisingly, Momo didn't fight it. “I hate you for this. If I die today, let it be written in my grave that it’s your fault.” Momo says as she grips onto her ticket, fixing her bag as they go passed the gate. She complained, but didn't pull away. She was completely oblivious to where Tzuyu was taking her, but once they were in line, Momo wished she had pulled away from her.

“Being dramatic doesn’t suit you, please.” Sana says as she hangs onto Momo’s arm, giggling as she looks around, her eyes twinkling.

"So, which ride are we going on first?" Dahyun asked once inside. They were surrounded by parents and their squealing children, scrambling and tugging on their mother's hands, and couples strolled around hand in hand, taking their time as they sauntered to other rides.

They were heading for a ride that is Tzuyu’s pick, and Tzuyu would subtly look at her hand on Momo’s. She waits for the sudden spike in her heart beat, maybe a flush in her cheeks. But it doesn’t come. In Tzuyu’s defense, when it comes to flirting, her only mentor is Dahyun. And so far, she has been following Dahyun’s cheat sheet. And by cheat sheet, she meant she asked Dahyun for pick-up lines for research, and safe to say nothing has landed as smoothly as she hoped for. There’s also a tell-tale signs of being a blushing mess to Dahyun’s list of ‘couply’ acts.

If someone bumped into her, she'd slam right into Momo without a problem. Their hands brushed every once in a while as well, and that very thought should be enough for goose bumps to form all over her arms.

She looks at their hands one more time and frowns a little. Why does it feel like any other times that Momo held her hand? Shouldn’t it be different? Now after the realization?

Tzuyu just needs confirmation. Something to reinforce this idea that she’s in love with her roommate. That’s all she needs so she can drop it and burn it to the ground, never to be entertained again.

The rest of the group were oblivious to Tzuyu’s inner struggle and to their destination. But the latter becomes obvious when they reach the start of the line and Momo and Dahyun had the urge to throw up just looking at it. “Air Race” is what the park had named it. A ‘plane’ ride that can hold 4 passengers – 2 in each row, that rotates 360 degrees while it revolves around a central tower.

Momo thinks it’s probably worse than the roller coaster.

Almost sharing the same brain cell, Dahyun appears on Tzuyu’s other side and clings into her arm desperately, “Shouldn’t we try something… tamer?”

Tzuyu grins excitedly, “This is the newest ride at the park! Besides, it is packed today. We can only ride a handful, so I think we should maximize—”

“You mean give me a heart attack?” Momo interrupts, following the movement of the planes. She can hear the scream of riders and imagined flames from hell appearing and thinking it’s what the purge would look like. “Newest? So if we die, we’ll be the first.”

“Fortune favors the brave.” Sana says, squeezing both of Momo’s shoulder, shaking her excitedly. “It says here in my Hersheys.” Sana hands Momo her chocolate.

Momo looks at her aghast, “This early in the morning and you’re munching on sugar already?”

“So?”

Since Momo and Dahyun were a pansy on that one roller coaster, they mentally decided it would be best to stay away from those… for now. The four decided to head down to the water park section of the amusement park, as Dahyun suggested.

“Wanna bet who’d get the most wet?” Sana dares as she locks her seatbelt.

“I hope it’s you so I can have something to laugh about.” Momo comments, her hands gripping the safety car uncomfortably.

“Hopefully it’s you so we can dry ourselves at the rollercoaster next.”

Momo didn't reply, because she was hoping Sana is wrong. So very wrong.

"GET READY!" The speakers boomed, "HERE WE GO!"

Just like that, Momo started relaxing. This is one is probably the most tamed ride, if you exclude the ones solely for children. They were seated on a 8-seater wheel that rotates on a river-like slide, with the risk of getting wet every wall-bump and waterfall.

Once the first splash had hit Sana, Momo and Dahyun  cheered loudly, finally loosening p, laughing happily. Tzuyu couldn't help but notice how Momo's hair was flying around like crazy. She inwardly laughed at how silly it looked.

Dahyun grips Tzuyu’s hand like her life depends on it. “I’m gonna die in here. Please.” Dahyun pleads, looking up to Tzuyu who’s smiling at her.

“There, there. You’ve said that in about every ride and you’re still here.”

Sana was giggling, dragging a screaming Momo, “Momo, you are embarrassing us. Please, get a hold of yourself.”

This, Momo reflected, was probably the biggest mistake of her life… Why the hell did she agree to this?

“Get a hold of myself? We told you Dahyun and I will be happily waiting for you at the sidelines while you and Tzuyu plunge to your death, but did you listen to me? No! You and Tzuyu manhandled me and trapped me in here.”

“WE can die together like soulmates, like that ones we envisioned since we were in kindergarten.”

“You are not bringing that up right now.”

Momo thought she wouldn’t be a buzzkill. She knew what would happen that moment she agreed to go to the park, even so when she volunteered to split the expenses with Sana. But experiencing the first ride, her insides rotating at the same time as the ride, she would screamingly admit she was scared of the damn things. She shares the same struggle as Dahyun, but Dahyun is still falling in line for the roller coaster. And if she doesn’t join them, she knows she’ll never hear the end of it from Sana.

She can count at least five loops, and three steep drops. She wanted nothing more than to wait for the trio to get off of the roller coaster at the exit, but to do so would be to admit that she’s a quitter. What is safety when you don’t have pride?

The unique thing about this roller coaster that had made Sana practically fly over to the line for the ride, was that it went forward and backwards. No matter where you sat, so long as you were on the end, you would either be at the very front, or the very back.

Sana loves rollercoasters, and being in the front was the absolute best. Sana made her way to the line for the front of the coaster, oblivious to the terrified expression that Momo wore (or she knew-- she had always known Momo hates these things, it's actually a miracle she even said 'yes' in the first place. She's just wondering how far she can push her). They can hear Dahyun telling Tzuyu she would close her eyes the whole ride, and Tzuyu promising she’d hold her hand the whole time. They agreed Tzuyu and Sana would switch partners at every ride, and now it’s Tzuyu’s turn to console Dahyun.

With that, the line began to move forward, and they head towards their seats inside the cart. Before they can take their seats, Dahyun squeezed Tzuyu’s hand, urging her to move forward, even narrowing her eyes. Tzuyu looked unsu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter