Autumn

Push and Pull
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For someone who everyone thinks is dense as Platinum maybe, it didn’t take Tzuyu a day or two to figure out that her roommate is smitten with someone new.

The first time she’s heard of Mina was what would’ve seemed like a normal bathroom scene for her and Momo. Momo was telling her about her day, the usual. And then she drops Mina’s name with a smile on her face that Tzuyu got curious who it was.

“She’s cute. She’s newly hired at the Business Planning Team. We eat during together during lunch today! Well, not together-together, you know? I was behind her on the line and then we saw each other’s ID and then decided to eat together ‘cause the cafeteria is packed.” Momo laughs at the recount and continues, “She’s like you. She’s quiet. I feel like lunch was more of me talking and her listening. I think I only know three things about her.” She holds up three of her fingers then points it to Tzuyu, folding one finger down as she counts, “She told me she lives near the office, she likes coffee more than tea, and that she doesn’t know anyone at the office yet so she eats alone.” Momo giggles and flexes her fingers, “I told her we could be friends so she doesn’t have to be alone anymore.”

Tzuyu nods, smiling a little. Yes, that sounds like Momo. She’s the type to feed strays all the time – befriending those who are lonely just like Tzuyu used to be.

“Maybe I’ll introduce you to her when I treat you to dinner on my payday.” It was dropped casually, that Momo forgot to think.

But Tzuyu responded quickly, “Sure, that would be nice.”

They didn’t notice it until it was done.

That they had a conversation without fighting, without someone rolling their eyes making a face. Summer was done, and maybe… the discord was too.

Momo was looking at her, realization hit her that this was the first time they actually have a conversation like everything was back to normal.

Before Momo can panic and say something sentimental, Tzuyu smiles at her. Her kind smile, her usual one -- the one that bears her unadulterated gentleness… the one that is embedded in everyone’s mind who adores her.

She smiles so genuinely, laughing a little, her eyes almost disappearing, as she starts, “I told you I got into Fashion Club, right? We’re doing something for next month right after Midterms. Jennie picked to wear pretty clothes.” She says giddily.

Tzuyu took the invitation for a Non-Aggression Pact, and Momo’s heart swells at the prospect of having each other back. “R-really?”

Tzuyu nods, an unspoken truce was laid. She hums affirmatively and then says, “We’ll take lots of good shots. The Photography Org will help us out. I hope it comes out really well. I get conscious when someone takes picture of me.”

“You’re pretty! Of course, it’ll come out really well! You can’t be ugly even if you tried.”

“Thanks~~. I’ll show it to you as soon as it comes out.”

“I’m looking forward to it.” The pictures… and the prospect that they’re finally back, Momo wanted to say. Instead she keeps it inside. Something’s she’d rather not say to not ruin the moment.

Sana sighed, partly from boredom and partly from frustration.

'What was I thinking?' she asked herself, listening to the loud cracks of the pins as they met the polished wood floor. She nips at her straw, watching as Tzuyu picked up her bowling ball.

Yes. Bowling.

The sport was quickly becoming the bane of Sana's existence.

While Tzuyu had taken to it like a duck to water, Sana had found that rolling the heavy plastic ball to knock down pins was much harder than she had originally thought. Or more like, she didn’t put much thought into it and it’s why she’s in a dilemma.

Weekend after Sana’s payday and as a ‘tradition’, she invited Tzuyu out. Checking her bucket list, she highlighted ‘Bowling’ a day before. Bowling perse doesn’t have an appeal to Sana, but she’s just the type of person to try everything under the sun. However, Sana had never been inside a bowling alley in her life, and her inexperience showed.

While Tzuyu- after a quick warm up- had been hitting eight pins or more per frame, the most Sana had knocked down were seven pins. That had been sheer luck as well- Sana hadn't even been watching where she was throwing, and probably would not have noticed if she had thrown the bright purple ball down the wrong lane.

She had been... distracted. Before she could stop herself, Sana allowed her eyes to study the current bowler at their lane.

She knew it was not the other's intention, but the clothes Tzuyu was wearing perfectly outlined her form. The faded black jeans she wore were low on her hips, clinging to her body in ways that Sana wished she could ignore. The only thing Sana would be thankful of Tzuyu hanging out with Chaeyoung was the girl dragging Tzuyu to Fashion Club. Also, Tzuyu went from being a cute-baby-faced freshman to an elegant-model-to-be senior. No transition, whatsoever. Tzuyu just came back for senior year, all glowed up. Is that what drinking 8 glasses of water, and having 8 hours of sleep do in one’s body?

Soon, Tzuyu brought the black ball up, feet stepping quickly as she drew her arm back and whipped it forward, her legs slanting backward as she glides. The ball rolled smoothly from her fingers, hurtling down just left of the center of the lane to strike the side of the head pin.

With a loud crash, each of the white pins fell down.

Tzuyu smirks proudly, pumping her fists towards the air. “Strike!”

“You mean stress?” Sana jokes, as she glanced at the small computer screen that showed them their score. Seeing her name highlighted, she groaned. She knows she’s not gonna ace it, but how is she falling behind Tzuyu so bad?

“You said you wouldn’t tease me.” Tzuyu whines, walking past Sana and sitting down in one of the hard, scarcely padded chairs the bowling alley provided.

The first time Tzuyu had hit all the pins down, she excitedly shouted ‘Stress!’, confused what it was supposed to be called. And even though Sana had been hitting 6’s and mostly gutters, the sudden exclaim made Sana rolling on the floor laughing. Maybe it’s why she loves hanging out with Tzuyu so much. The girl is funny without even trying.

“I said I won’t tease you after everyone knows. Jeongyeon hasn’t viewed my video yet.” Sana says, smiling, as she picks up her ball.

“That’s how I can have fun. You’re the only one having fun.” Sana’s frown resurfaces, while she is standing up on the raised platform, trying to figure out how to roll the damned ball so it would hit the pins. She tried to remember what Tzuyu did, recreating it in her mind. She’s not that competitive and she thinks the only way to win is if Tzuyu hits the drain in the last three turns, but she’s a sore loser so she’d still try her hardest to not embarrass herself.

Her feet began moving quickly, brain scrambling to remember everything she was picturing as she drew her arm back low, then released it to fly down the lane.

Her aim left a little to be desired, but her first ball struck down six pins- more than she had claimed with a single strike before. An elated smile made its way across her face as she turned back to the proud face of her companion.

“Nice.” Tzuyu cheers, raising her cup towards Sana.

Sana jumps from her spot, moving both of her arms in joy. She dances a bit before grabbing another ball. Unfortunately for her, she had only managed to hit two pins next. She pouts petulantly at a laughing Tzuyu.

“That’s 8! That’s the most you scored!”

“Only you can manage a compliment and an insult at the same time.”

Tzuyu shakes her head as her hand closed on the bowling ball- one hand with fingers in the small holes, the other supporting the heavy sphere. “I’m cheering for you.”

After a loud clash of pins, A sudden sinking feeling hit the pit of the older’s stomach as Tzuyu hit’s all-8 in one turn.

“How come I’m paying for all of this and you’re not even letting me win?”

Tzuyu hits just one pin on the next, but is still satisfied. It’s a sure win for her at this point. “You won’t take pride in a pity victory.”

“Who cares about pride? A win is a win.” Sana mumbles. “Jihyo rejected me. Cheer me up like a normal person. I’m pretty bummed about it.” Sana says, shoving herself out of her chair. She walked up to the ball return, grabbing her tacky purple ball.

“Oh?”

“Wait, you didn’t know? I thought you’d be the first to know ‘cause you’re buddy-buddies.”

Tzuyu laughs, “I know she’d reject you. I didn’t know you would really ask her out.”

At the comment, Sana loses her focus and drops the ball a little too quickly. She closes her eyes, looking up as her ball inevitably misses the pins. She groans, stomping her feet in front of Tzuyu. “Why do I love you is what I ask myself when you let your demon speaks.”

Sana whines then hits Tzuyu repeatedly, “This is the opposite of cheering me up! Stop being mean to me, you ingrate!”

Tzuyu raises her arms to defend herself from Sana’s slaps, “I’m not—” Tzuyu laughs a little more at Sana’s distress. “Okay.” She concedes, “What do you need me to do?”

“I don’t know. Baby me~~”

“…”

“…”

“How about I teach you how to get a Strike instead?”

Sana scoffs, crossing her arms, “Just because you’ve got 3—”

“4 on my first time.”

“Hmpf!” Sana looks sideways, “Four on your first time.” Sana says in contempt, “Doesn’t mean you get to teach me anything. You’re just lucky!”

Yes. Tzuyu is apparently lucky in sports in general. It’s probably her athletic body that contributes to that, but that’s besides the point.

“Do you want to be the girl that was dumped, lost and paid in bowling and didn’t get a strike or…?”

“Wow. There’s no limit with your mouth, is there?”

Tzuyu shrugs, sipping back on her drink.

“Alright. Teach me your ways.”

With no warning, Sana nearly jumped as an arm nearly wrapped around her, Tzuyu's slender hand covering her own- the one holding the bowling ball. Unused to the proximity initiated by Tzuyu, she felt heat flood her face as the taller girl moved even closer to her.

The supposed bubbly girl and master of skinship did jump as Tzuyu's other hand settled at her hip.

"Relax- you're just making it harder by tensing up. Your muscles have to be relaxed if you want to do this properly." Tzuyu was speaking quietly and calmly, very matter-of-fact. Even so, Sana's mouth went dry as the warm puffs of air caressed her ear, the words taking on an almost inappropriate tone as her imagination moved them from the noisy alley to a more... private setting.

It didn't help that- when taken out of context- Tzuyu's words could sound very suggestive, especially when spoken so intimately into her ear... “That’s usually my line.” Sana says by instinct.

“What?”

“Ignore me.”

Tzuyu's hand was sliding over her own, fingers adjusting her awkward grip and showing her how to properly throw the ball down the lane. Sana wasn't sure how much about bowling she actually learned in the few torturous minutes, but she would never forget to follow through- every time Tzuyu demonstrated the 'follow-through' (which she emphasized a lot), she had to press quite close to Sana's back in order to extend Sana's arm all the way.

In each demonstration, they were pressed so close together you couldn't fit a hair in between their bodies. If Tzuyu noticed Sana's tensed form and shallow breaths, she didn't say anything. If Tzuyu knows any better, then she’d tease it’s funny to make Sana taste her own medicine.

As soon as it started, it was over, Tzuyu stepped away from the brunette, placing a hand on the blue-clad shoulder to turn Sana around and face her.

The brunette's eyes narrowed in a puzzled manner.

"Do you get it now?" Tzuyu asked. Sana nodded, and Tzuyu removed her hand. Then Tzuyu went back to her place by the chairs. Sana would chuckle, thinking to herself. “Ignorance is a bliss”

They were arm to arm, walking to their next destination when Tzuyu remembers, “I didn’t know you like her that much.”

“Hmm?”

“Jihyo. You said you asked her out?”

“Ahh.” Sana shrugs, “Not much, I guess. But isn’t that what’s dating is for? Getting to know them intimately?” She puffs her cheeks, remembering the rejection. Even from the start, she liked how ballsy Jihyo was to Tzuyu. She even liked how smoothly her lines are landing on Tzuyu and Sana had thought maybe it’d feel nice to have those land on hers instead. She had a crush on her, but both had known it would never amount to anything. While Sana likes to think she had quickly gotten over it, as she looks back to it, it’s slowly stinging a bit. She doesn’t take rejection quite well because she rarely gets it.

 “I got tired of meeting new people, starting over. I feel like I’m not putting the same effort I used to put.” She’s been dating around from quite some time. But just like realization hit Momo right after graduation, Sana thought she should level up to. Gone are the days she’d hit someone up just because she looks cute in her display picture, or tap someone’s shoulder on a bar, inviting them for a dance. Maybe she’d try Tzuyu’s route: organic dating as she once said. She just hasn’t been lucky finding anyone that excites her enough for her to take seriously.

“Isn’t it the other way around? Shouldn’t you know someone first before you date them?”

“Is that what happened with you and Chaeyoung?” Sana noticed the grimace on Tzuyu’s face and continues, “Oof—sorry, too soon?”

Tzuyu rolls her eyes, “You’re not even sorry.”

Sana laughs, “We told you she doesn’t deserve you. Instinct, sweetie.”

“Say what you want but I don’t regret it. She made me happy—”

“And then she broke your heart.”

“Not as bad as when you and Momo-unnie threw me under the bus and then running me over.”

“Wow. Acing Lit, I see.” Sana took a look on Tzuyu then nods appreciatively, “We were looking out for you.”

“Excuses, excuses~~.” Tzuyu huffs, —“It didn’t feel that way. To me, you were just antagonizing. For someone so b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter