Misery Managed

Maybe We Should(n't) Be Together

Seungwan met Chanyeol again at an old friend's party where they were both invited. Although it was fun, she had to admit, she was a tad bit uncomfortable being around him. Seeing him still stung, and brought back unwanted thoughts.

 

She felt pathetic, and she could only watch him, adding to her misery.

 

After all, it had only been a few months. It is hard to get over someone, specifically someone you weren't officially with.

 

She was fine, really. Until she saw him make his way to her and talk as if nothing happened. She was enraged, yes, but she smiled back and told herself to calm down.

 

"Hi. Do you mind if we talk?"

 

Yes, I mind, now off.

 

"No, it's okay. We could go outside if you want?"

 

And so, they went outside to talk. It was all small talk at first until they started to have this passive-aggressive tone which ended up with them screaming over this repressed argument over feelings and certain misunderstandings.

 

This was a mistake. 

 

Seungwan couldn't believe she let herself fall into his trap. She shouldn't have come, she shouldn't have said yes.

 

"Do you still have feelings for me, then?" Chanyeol said, incredelous.

 

"I liked you." Seungwan said.

 

She turned around to face him and in a low voice she repeated it again, but this time slower. "I liked you."

 

She came closer with her hands gripping the ends of her hand painted bag, her eyes trembling, her heart about to leap out of her chest with an irrecognizable feeling.

 

Was it the anger she was bottling up after all these years?

 

"I don't ing get you. Sometimes you're nice, and you can be really sweet, and then you ignore me? You act like this--this cold person the next ing day and we're doing it again and again I'm so sick of it!"

 

Chanyeol was about to say something when Seungwan looked him in the eye with anger and fury, as she inched closer and closer.

 

"So no, Yeol. I do not."

 

She was about to leave when Chanyeol shook his head and pulled her back to him. He put his hands on her shoulder and he bent down a bit to level his eyes with her short stature.

 

"No, Wannie, I liked you. I ing liked you, and I--I was just scared, I didn't know how to tell you."

 

Oh my God, the audacity.

 

Seungwan closed her eyes, controlling the urge to beat this man up. Who did he think he was?

 

"That's supposed to justify your treatment of me? You're funny." She scoffs.

 

"Do you honestly expect me to just be at your call and you return my feelings just when it's convenient?"

 

The anger in her doubled as she resisted the urge to just punch him in the face and call it a day. They didn't need to talk about it, she thought.

 

"I was just confused, with Sooyoung in the picture, my mind was a mess. But I know now, and I'm not confused anymore. I choose you! I have feelings for you, Wannie. I'm sorry, and I want you back. Please. "

 

"No."

 

you.

 

Seungwan stepped back and removed his arms from her shoulder. With her hands into fists, she bit the insides of her cheek and sighed.

 

"You don't even know half the pain you've caused me. I have no words for your--whatever this is you're doing, Chanyeol. Pure ery, I tell you." She laughed bitterly.

 

She was finally going to end it. 

 

She was finally going to let go.

 

"I liked you, Yeol."

 

Seungwan saw the bewilderment in his eyes as she began walking back to her car.

 

"But not anymore."