Chapter Eleven

A Dangerous Affair

I feel as tough I lingered in the hallway a little longer than I should have. Returning from the hallway I see Hana setting the table and Ji Woo still sitting in the living room watching TV.

“Ms. Lee will your friend be staying for dinner? It's almost ready.” Hana asks.

“Oh uh, I believe so yes.” I nod to her.

It feels a little weird having someone cook for me like this. I call Ji Woo over to the table and she is more than happy to stay for dinner. Jimin comes out to the dining area as Hana is serving the food. We lock eyes for a moment before I turn away avoiding his gaze. I don't want to get caught up in what ever feelings I had earlier.

I try to focus on my dinner as Ji Woo and I make small talk with one another. I feel like I haven't eaten anything in days. I try my best to ignore the awkwardness of Jimin sitting across the table from me, stealing glances here and there. Ji Woo is too involved with telling me the drama of our classmates to notice. I know she wants to ask about Jimin but for obvious reasons she cannot right now.

We finish dinner and Hana comes over to take away our plates and sets down a little cup of medications. This is going to get annoying have to take so much medicine. I really hope to feel better after this, my health is important to me. I take the medicine with a slight grimace and shake my head as I get a small taste of a pill.

“Alrighty Eunji. Dinner was amazing but you need your rest. I'll visit you again soon. I'll drop by tomorrow to bring your school work.” Ji Woo says standing up.

“Eating and leaving I see.” I .

“Stop, you know I'd move in if I could.” She giggles.

“I know you would.” I smile.

“Goodnight Eunji.”

“Goodnight Ji Woo.” I reply.

She gives me a soft embrace before leaving. I feel myself getting tired and let off a small sigh and run a hand through my hair. I look over to see Hana retiring to the service quarters. It's so weird calling it that but what else do I call it? A guest room? If it were a guest room Seojun would have had Jimin stay there. Sometimes I feel like this place is a little too big for my liking.

The small shuffle of slippers pulls me back from my thoughts seeing Jimin walking over to me. I feel my heart start to beat hard as we're now alone together. He sits down next to me setting down a mug in front of me. I look down to see steam rising from the cup and I let off a delighted sigh.

“Thank you.” I smile.

“It's getting late you should go to bed after this.” He says.

“Oh I will. I feel so exhausted.” I say with a small chuckle.

I sip at the tea and it feels so soothing running down my throat warming my body. I can feel the medicine really kicking in the longer I sip at my tea. I look over to Jimin to find him looking down at his phone. He takes a prolonged sip from his cup. His lips are blushed from the heat, his sharp jaw moving slowly. I feel my eyelids getting heavier and heavier. Jimin peers over to me and a smile creeps up on his lips. He puts his phone away and sets the cup down.

“Let's get you to bed.” He chuckles.

“Hmmm.” I nod sluggishly to him.

Jimin helps me to my feet and my body feels really heavy. I take a slow step forward feeling like I don't want to move.

“I'm guessing Hana gave you the muscle relaxer.” Jimin chuckles.

“The wha?” I look over to him.

“It's to help you sleep and relax better.” Jimin says holding me.

“Mmm, I feel like jelly.” I say resting my head on his shoulder.

Jimin seems to stiffen up for a moment before sweeping me off my feet. This sudden action makes me feel a little more awake. I grip the fabric of his shirt as I feel conflicted.

“What's wrong?” Jimin asks looking down to me.

“S-Seojun usually does this for me.” I gulp.

Thinking about him makes my chest hurt a bit and my stomach swirl. I don't know where we stand with one another and I won't know until he comes back.

“He's not here, but I am. He shouldn't have left you alone like this.” Jimin says softly.

There's something about the way he said it that makes my stomach flutter. I bite my lip not sure how to respond to his words. Jimin walks forward carrying me down the hall. I rest my head on his shoulder. I find myself focusing on his arms that are wrapped around me. Jimin brings me to my room laying me down in my bed. I feel my face getting hot with him hovering over me like this. I gulp and avoid looking at him.

“Goodnight Eunji.” He whispers before leaving the room.

I curl up under my blankets holding my chest trying to calm myself. I close my eyes tightly and before I know it my alarm is going off and Hana is coming into the room. I sit up feeling myself wanting to go back to sleep. I don't want to wake up, I just want to keep sleeping.

“Good Morning Ms. Lee, I have your morning medicine. Breakfast isn't ready yet so you have time to wash up and wake up more.” She says in a cheery tone.

“Huh, oh. Thank you.” I let out a small groan.

Hana takes my clothing hamper from the corner of the room that had started to get a little fuller than I'd like. I just haven't had the time to do laundry since everything happened. I let out a small yawn and take my medicine. I gather my things for a shower. I slump into the bathroom still a little groggy and set my stuff on the counter. I turn to see Jimin looking over at me with a raised brow. He has his toothbrush in his mouth. Seeing him I wake up instantly.

“O-Oh I'm sorry.” I say reaching for my things.

“Mmm.” Jimin hums putting his hand on mine.

I freeze, and look up at him. He rinses his mouth and puts away his toothbrush.

“I'm done with the bathroom.” He says.

He wipes his mouth, my eyes snapping to the scab on his lip. It looks irritated. I put my hand on his forearm stopping him from leaving. He looks to me curiously. Without thinking I put my hand to his face tracing my thumb across his lip gently. He winces a bit and I see a small amount of blood on my finger. I click my tongue at him and wash my hands. I grab the ointment from the drawer turning to him.

Jimin's arm twitches a bit as if he wants to grab the ointment but stops himself. I put it on my finger and start patting his plush bottom lip. The skin even more blushed with the irritation. I gulp to myself trying not to get into admiring his lips but failing. I feel myself touching his face too long and pull away from him. I turn away looking down at my things on the counter. I have to focus.

“Thank you.”

“Mm.” I nod trying to contain myself.

Jimin leaves and I look at him through the mirror. He glances over his shoulder to me before walking down the hall. I shut the bathroom door and feel my heart racing. What is going on? Why did I do that for him? He could have done it himself, should have done it himself. Ahhh what the heck is wrong with me! I try my best to push all those thoughts out of my head and take a well needed shower.

The next couple days go by in a medicine induced blur. Day time medications, night time medications. Ji Woo stopped by but I was way too tired to even talk with her much. There was a lot of napping on the couch involved. Hana's cooking is amazing, I almost wish she didn't have to leave.

I went to see Dr. Kim later in the week and started my birth control to make sure something like this wouldn't happen again. Since the day we came back I find myself a little too focused on Jimin. Things between us are a little tense. I've been doing my best to avoid being around him. The end of the week is here and Seojun should be home today. Do I look forward to seeing him? I can't say that I do or don't. I don't know what to feel honestly.

I'm in the kitchen trying to prepare food. I'll admit I'm a little awkward with a knife. I hear the sound of Jimin's slippers down the hall. I inhale sharply and try to focus on cutting this damn radish. I glance up to see Jimin walking into the kitchen. He is minding his business, headphones in his ears, he's probably here to get a snack or something. I look to his lips and see the mark, it's faint but if you look hard enough you can tell it's still there. My hand slips while cutting the radish and I feel the knife cut into my finger.

“Ack!” I pull my hand away from the cutting board dropping the knife.

I hold my finger seeing a small amount of blood drip onto the counter. I swear under my breath and Jimin looks over at me curiously.

“Eunji are you okay?” Jimin says coming up to me pulling out his headphones.

“I'm fine, my hand slipped.” I groan.

“Come here.” He says grabbing my hand.

He pulls me to the kitchen sink and turns on the faucet. He sticks my finger under the water and I scrunch my nose at the small sting of pain.

“Stay here.”

I nod to him before he walks off. He comes back swiftly with a small box in hand. He pats my finger dry before putting ointment on the cut. The ointment feels good on the small cut. He wraps a band-aid around my finger.

“There, all better.” He smiles to me. “Do you want me to kiss it too?” He gives off a small smirk.

He pulls my hand towards him puckering his lips. I yank my hand away from him taking a step back.

'N-No, Thank you.” I stutter holding my hand to my chest.

“You should be more careful while using a knife.” Jimin says.

“I know, I just got a little distracted I guess..” I say turning to wipe up my mess.

“Oh? Distracted by what? Or should I ask who?” Jimin snickers.

“Shut up.” I scoff at him.

Damn it, I can't think of anything to say against that. I'm not exactly denying it either.

“What are you trying to cook?” Jimin chuckles.

“I don't know. But I wanted to have dinner ready for when Seojun gets home and I don't know what he likes.” I sigh tossing the hand towel in my hand onto the counter.

“Trying to win him over with cooking? It doesn't seem to be your strong suit.” Jimin teases me.

“I know how to cook…” I shy away from him.

I really don't know how to cook, well I do, but not a ton of stuff. I know the basics. But I'm not going to let Jimin know that.

“Here, I'll help you. Didn't your mom teach you how to cook?” Jimin asks walking around the counter.

“No, she was always too busy with work.” I sigh.

“Really? What about your father? Didn't he work?” He asks grabbing an apron.

“Hmm, they both worked a lot. My mom was around more often than my dad was though.” I say.

“Did your mom not cook a lot?” Jimin ask as he tries to tie the apron behind his back.

“I like to say she did but I never learned from her that well.” I let off a small chuckle.

“What about your grandparents?” Jimin asks.

He looks frustrated with himself as he is still trying to tie the apron.

“My father's parents I never knew. My mother's parents visited as much as they could when I was a baby but they passed when I was young.” I say walking up to Jimin wrapping my arms around him.

He is taken back by this pulling away from me slightly. He then pulls me into an awkward embrace.

“I'm sorry about your grandparents.” Jimin says softly.

“Uh, t-thanks? It's not that big of a deal Jimin.”

“Why did you hug me?” Jimin gulps.

“I…I'm tying your apron.” I feel a blush coming onto my face.

“R-Right.” Jimin pulls away from me.

He rubs the back of his neck avoiding my gaze. I feel my heart start to race and I turn away from him.

“Alright. Let's do this.” I say collecting myself.

Jimin nods and he helps me make a simple meal that Seojun likes. It takes longer than expected as I am a little more clumsy than I thought I'd be. I feel like this is the first time Jimin and I have finally connected with one another. If Seojun and I are going to be married one day I should at least try and get along with his family.

“I'll set the table now. Thank you for helping me.” I turn to Jimin after turning off the stove.

“You're welcome. I'm sure he'll love it.” Jimin says putting his hands in his pockets.

“You know what?” I look to Jimin.

“Hmm?” He hums in response.

“I like it here better when we get along.” I smile to him.

“Yeah, me too.” Jimin gives me a stiff smile.

I walk around him and set the table. Jimin brings the pot of food to the table setting it down. I am setting a place for Jimin to eat as well.

“You don't have to set a spot for me.” Jimin says putting his hand on my forearm.

“Hm? Why not?” I look to him.

“It's Seojun's first night back. You two should have dinner together. Alone.” He says.

“O-Oh, yeah. You're probably right.” I gulp shaking my head.

When I was trying to make dinner earlier I never thought of having it alone with Seojun. I had Jimin in mind as well when I had the thought to make dinner. Jimin pulls away from me taking the extra plates and silverware. I look at the time and decide to go to my room to change. I go into my closet and dig around for something to wear. A skirt? No. Pants? No I'm already wearing pants. Shorts? No, why shorts? I let off a frustrated sigh. I flip through a bit more until I find a casual black dress.

I guess this will have to do? Seojun is always wearing dark colors. I put on the dress and rush out to the dining area hoping to see Seojun. He isn't home yet. I check the time and sit down at the table. I let off a small sigh as I wait. I flip through videos on my phone for a while. I look at the food and worry that it is going to get cold. My phone pings and I nearly drop it grabbing it eagerly.

 

Seojun

-My trip was extended.

 

I look at my phone and let out a frustrated sigh. I set down my phone and stare at the screen. I don't know what to say back, or if I should even reply to his text. What would I even say? Oh that's fine, I'll just have dinner alone. Or maybe, should I just move out now? Ahhh! I stand up my hands balled into fists. I worked hard to make this dinner! I even put on this stupid dress thinking he'd like it! Only for him to tell me last minute his trip got extended?

I hear the shuffling of slippers from behind me and I freeze. I look down at myself and want to hide. I can't let Jimin see me like this! What will he think? Will he tease me? Oh god. The shuffling gets closer and I feel myself panicking. I spin around my dress twirling with me and I see Jimin stop in his tracks. Jimin looks lightly shocked as he gulps to himself.

“Oh hey! I uh, wh-what are you doing out here?” I say awkwardly smoothing out my dress.

I am mentally cursing myself right now.

“I-I came out to get something to eat. Where's Seojun?” Jimin swallows hard.

I blink a few times and look to the floor not knowing what to say. I put my hands behind my back rocking back and forth.

“H-He…His trip got extended…he just messaged me.” I say in a desolate tone.

I glance up to Jimin who seems sympathetic towards me. This is new, and kind of weird coming from him. He walks over to the table and sits down at the spot I set for Seojun.

“Wow you made all of this? It looks amazing.” Jimin says in a slightly exaggerated tone.

“A-Ah, you don't have to do this. It's probably cold by now. I'll clean it up.” I say going over to the table. I reach for the pot only to have Jimin grab my hand.

“You worked too hard to let it go to waste. I know I'm not Seojun, but I am hungry.” Jimin says pulling my hand away from the pot.

My heart starts to pound, my body feels hot. Jimin's hand is warm against mine. I feel my face getting flushed. I sit down in the seat next to him and he serves me first. Jimin takes a bite of the food and looks over to me.

“Wow this is really good.” He smiles.

“Thanks, I had some-maybe a lot of help from a friend.” I let off a chuckle.

“Oh? A friend?” Jimin raises an eyebrow at me in amusement.

“Stop it. We should at least try to be friends if we're going to be family one day.” I say turning to my plate.

Jimin's expression changes hearing this.

“You still want to be with Seojun?” Jimin looks to me.

“I-…It's what my family wants.” I look down to my plate.

I know I shouldn't lie to Jimin. If I can even call this a lie. My father wants me to marry Seojun, because it gave him more money to gamble with. It's only a matter of time until that runs out and then what?

“Let's not talk about this right now. How does a glass of wine sound?” Jimin asks.

“That sounds great actually.” I sigh.

“What kind would you like?” Jimin asks.

“Ah, a rose would be nice.” I look over my shoulder to him.

Jimin goes to the wine fridge grabbing a bottle and walking back over to the table. He sets down two cups and pours my glass first.

“Thanks.” I nod to him.

I take the glass and take a long slow sip from it. The bittersweet taste is refreshing and lightly floral and it goes down smoothly. I let off a small sigh letting my eyes flutter closed. I enjoy the subtle flavor for a moment more before opening my eyes. I see Jimin looking to me with a small smile.

“You must really like wine.” He says.

“Wine reminds me of my mother. She loves it and we would go to tastings together. She's a little too busy these days though.” I look down at the glass.

The memories of my mother and I together flash through my mind. It's almost as bittersweet as the wine. Jimin and I finish our dinner talking about lighter subjects. After dinner we clear the table and wash the dishes together. Jimin puts the last plate away and pours another glass of wine.

“Would you like another glass?” Jimin asks.

I know I shouldn't, I really shouldn't.

“I'd love another.” I nod.

Jimin pours another glass and we sit in the living room.

“So, I know I shouldn't be saying this but-” Jimin trails off looking to me.

He has an amused smirk across his face.

“Yeah?” I say intrigued.

“Did you really think putting on a little black dress would have Seojun melting for you?” Jimin says in a mocking tone.

“Hey, I wanted to look somewhat nice for him when he came home.” I say looking down at the dress.

“Have you seen the way you dress every other day?” Jimin laughs.

“If I dress nicely every day then it's not as special. Besides, it made you stop dead in your tracks.” I say before taking a sip of my wine.

“I'll admit it caught me a little off guard, that's it.” Jimin says.

“Thank you.” I say feeling good about myself.

“But if you're trying to seduce your way into Seojun's heart, that's not the dress for it.” Jimin says before taking a drink.

“What? I'm not trying to seduce him.” I let off a small scoff.

“Oh right. I know.” Jimin teases me.

“I mean, I'm not trying to. I could if I wanted to.” I say fidgeting a bit.

“Seojun likes his women a little more confident.” Jimin grins.

“I-I can be confident, yeah.” I lie through my teeth.

Seojun likes confidence? I am literally anything but that. I am too anxious and awkward and I over think way too much.

“Oh yeah? Well let me see it then.” Jimin smirks at me.

I bite my lip blowing air out my nose cursing myself. I should have kept my mouth shut. But I'd be damned if I let him win.

“Okay.” I huff.

Jimin looks to me with an amused grin on his face. He doesn't believe I can be confident? I'll show him…

I take a gulp of my wine before setting it down on the table. I feel my blood rushing as I scoot closer to him and rub my leg against his lightly. He covers his mouth trying to contain his laughter.

“Stop it.” I whine smacking his chest.

“Here, let me help you.” Jimin says turning to me.

He sets down his cup getting close to me making my face get hot. He lets off a small sigh looking at me.

“W-What?”

“I like seeing a little color on your face for a change.” He says rubbing his index finger across my heated cheek.

“S-Stop it. Just help me.” I say pulling away from him.

He chuckles nodding to me sitting back.

“If you want to get his attention.” Jimin says grabbing my hand. “Place your hand right here casually while talking.” He says putting my hand on his mid thigh.

“O-Okay. Th-then what?” I stutter.

I've never been one to make the first move. I'm not that bold what so ever. I don't really know how to properly flirt.

“While you're talking to him, keep his gaze.” He says looking straight into my eyes. “You'll want to turn away but don't.” He says catching my chin just before I turn away.

“Mm.” I nod feeling my heart pound.

“Seojun likes women who challenge him, listen to him, and surprise him.” Jimin says his index finger leaving my chin.

If that really is the kind of woman Seojun likes. Then I am no where near what he wants. How am I suppose to have a successful marriage with him if I'm the opposite of everything he likes? I'm a nervous wreck, anti-social, and a people pleaser.

“I-I'm none of those things.” I shake my head.

“Mm, I think you're exactly what he likes.” Jimin says putting a hand on my leg.

“I really doubt it.” I let off a small scoff rolling my eyes.

“You're stubborn as hell. You care way too much even when you shouldn't, and I can't tell what is going on in that head of yours.” Jimin says getting closer to me.

“W-What doesn't any of that have to do with what Seojun likes?” I ask shaking my head.

“It means you're challenging, you listen, and you're unpredictable. Everything he likes.” Jimin says softly.

I feel myself being pulled into Jimin's gaze. Something about him right now makes me feel so comfortable.

“What about you? Are those things you like too?” I ask.

I know that isn't something I should have asked but I did. Jimin's eyes linger down to my lips my eyes following his. His beautifully blushed lips are calling me. I know this is wrong, I know I shouldn't be doing this. But I can't help myself.

I lean forward getting into the moment and press my lips to Jimin's.