Chapter Ten

A Dangerous Affair

“I'll be home in a week.” Seojun says lastly before leaving.

His words echo in my mind, swirling with the looming silence flooding the now empty room. He left without a straight answer, he just left me. What does this mean for us? Should I be gone before he comes back? If I do then what will become of me after? The thought of Mr. Park finding out shakes me to my core.

My stomach swirls with the uncertainty of my future which now hangs in the air. The weight of the situation on my shoulders heavier now more than ever. Helplessness and vulnerability flood my body making me feel at a loss of control. Can I leave? Can I give up on Seojun? All I know is that I cannot let it end like this.

I turn over on my side gently, the pain faint but grounding in a sense. Part of me wants Seojun to come back. I want him to come back and tell me that everything is okay, that we're okay. I want to hear him say that he understands the situation, that we'll get through this together. As much as I want all of this I know that there is only so much that Seojun can handle.

A heavy knock at the door pulls me from my swirling mental state. My heart beats hard, the door opening slowly. My fingertips start to tingle with anticipation, my chest heavy with a held breath. I sit there somewhat hopeful, words making their way through my chest before I can process them.

“Seojun I-” I stop myself mid sentence.

It's not Seojun.

Jimin enters the room stopping at the end of the bed looking down to me. Tension filling the air, a hurt expression growing across his face. The door clicks shut echoing through the thick silence. I feel a tinge of disappointment in my stomach. But also, a sense of relief that he's here instead.

When everything happened all I could think about was him. How he must have felt through all of this. He had to sit and wait for answers that probably never came. I can only imagine how torturous that must have been. It's written all over his face, he can't even look at me fully.

I swallow hard blinking away a few stray tears. His face turned away from me shamefully. A look of distraught on his face. It seems as if he wants to say something but can't find the words. I don't know what to say either, even though I should say something. I should tell him that everything is okay. That I'm okay, that we were never pregnant, that we didn't lose anything.

“I-I'm sorry, I don't even know why I'm still here.” Jimin shifts shaking his head.

He pinches the bridge of his nose wiping his eyes as if to hide the tears that had accumulated. He glances at me briefly swallowing hard, his jaw flexing. There's a sense of pain in his soft tone, his eyes distant as they avoid mine. He turns away his hand lingering on the bed frame for a prolonged moment. There's a churning in my stomach, a tugging in my chest seeing him walk away.

“J-Jimin, I'm glad you stayed.” I manage to say through a knotted throat.

Anxiety burns throughout my body. Jimin stops, hesitating. The earlier tension thicker than before, his back turned to me. His hesitation gives me the feeling that he wants me to ask him to stay. I want him to stay but I don't know if I have the courage to voice it. I feel my body shake my hands gripping the sheets.

“Please stay.” I finally spit out, almost desperately.

Jimin still turned away from me. It feels like forever waiting for him to decide whether or not he wants to stay or leave. A light sigh leaves his lips before looking over his shoulder towards me. His demeanor completely different than I've ever seen him.

“What about Seojun? Does he know?” Jimin asks in a hardened tone, his back still turned.

My gaze becomes unfocused hearing Seojun's name. My chest burns thinking about how he left.

“He left me.” I say dejectedly.

Jimin turns to me with what seems to be an empathetic gaze. He slowly makes his way over to my bedside.

“I'm sorry.” He says in a gentle tone.

“He doesn't know it was you, who I was with before him. He doesn't have to know, I don't think he even wants to know at this point.” I shake my head looking down to my hands.

“After what happened, I'll leave the decision of telling him you were almost pregnant with my child up to you.” Jimin says softly sitting down on the bed next to me.

I let off a small sigh and rest my forehead on his shoulder. I feel relief flooding my body knowing he won't tell Seojun.

“Thank you.” I breathe.

It's strange seeing him like this. I like him more when he's like this. The tension between us seems to be melting away. Jimin places a hand on mine giving me a sense of comfort. The comfort I've been yearning for this whole time. I look up to him and our eyes meet for the first time since he came into the room. His face full of worry with a mixture of guilt and remorse. He nods to me squeezing my hand lightly.

“I'm so sorry this happened.” Jimin says in a lightly strained voice.

“You don't have to be sorry.” I shake my head. “Seojun was right. I was careless and got myself into this mess.” I look down to our hands.

Tears slip from my eyes dripping onto the bed sheets covering my lap. My heart hurts, this pain is worse than any I've ever felt.

“Eunji, why are you even with him?” Jimin asks lifting my chin.

“You know how arranged marriages go.” I say dejectedly.

Jimin's hand drops to his side as those words leave my mouth. I turn away from him unable to face him in this moment. Jimin pulls his hand from mine and I feel my eyes go distant. I want to tell him the truth about my engagement. But would he understand? Would he believe me? Or would he be upset at the fact that my engagement to Seojun is about money. There's another knock at the door making Jimin jump up from my bed side. He runs a hand through his hair letting out a deep sigh. A nurse walks in the room with a bright smile.

“Ms. Lee. I've got some discharge papers for you.” she says in a peppy tone.

“Discharge? I thought I was being kept for observation?” I shake my head in confusion.

“Your fiance requested for you to be monitored at home.” She says looking at the chart. “He had a nurse sent to your home.” She smiles.

“O-Oh, okay. Thank you.” I gulp nodding to her.

I feel bashful looking down to my hands. Seojun may have left me but he still wants to take care of me. I bite my lip a bit before noticing Jimin leaving rather abruptly. The nurse checks my vitals one last time. She takes out the IV from my hand that had run out a while ago as well as removing the other monitoring devices before leaving. She comes back swiftly carrying a small bag of my clothing setting it down on the bed for me.

I let out an exasperated sigh seeing my clothing. I cannot wear any of it and I run a hand through my hair in frustration. The nurse brings me a clip board to sign. I give her a stiff smile and sign the clipboard handing it back to her. I open my phone to Ji Woo's contact, my finger hovering over the call button.

Should I call her? I know I should tell her what happened but I don't want to make her worry. Ji Woo is a very passionate woman and I know that she will overreact. I feel like I am at a crossroads right now. I want to call her and ask for her help. But asking for help has always been a problem for me. I have conditioned myself to take care of things myself as my mother had before me.

There is a swift knock at the door startling me lightly. I look up to see Jimin entering the room once again. He left so quickly before, it felt so cold. The expression on his face is hard to read as he holds a bag out to me. His eyes avoiding mine, his expression hard as if he wants to appear uncaring. I take the bag hesitantly before he leaves abruptly once again.

I grip the bag tightly as the door slowly clicks shut echoing through the room. Everything about Jimin baffles me. When I feel like I can read him and that he is being himself it's almost as if he catches himself and changes completely. I look down into the bag to find a change of clothing sitting inside. I know this is such a small act but why does it make me feel like this? Did he do this because he wants to look out for Seojun's fiance. Or did he do this because he cares about me?

The thought of him doing this for me because he cares sends an unexpected rush through my body. Why do I feel like this? Why should I care about the things that he does? Why am I reading into it so much? My face feels hot and my chest burns. Jimin shouldn't be making me feel like this. He has been nothing but unkind to me this whole time…but when he isn't…it sparks something deep inside me.

I shake my head and slap my cheeks gently trying to clear these impure thoughts about Seojun's cousin. I shouldn't think like this. I take the clothes out and change as quick as I can as I feel like I am taking longer than I should. Walking out to the lobby of the hospital I go to the front desk to pay for my treatment.

“Mr. Park paid for your treatment and medications. He picked them up on his way out. You're all set to leave Ms. Lee.” The desk nurse says to me kindly.

I nod to her and take my leave. I turn to look out the front doors in which I came in just hours earlier. I gulp to myself as the memory floods my mind. I shake it off and walk out of the hospital. I find Jimin waiting outside in the car on his phone. Jimin is such a mystery to me. He acts like he doesn't care but then he does things like this. What are you hiding Park Jimin? I get in the car and I let out a small sigh looking over to him. It feels good to be out of the hospital.

“Ready to go home?” Jimin turns to look at me.

In this moment all I can give him is a small nod. A faint smile creeps upon his lips before he starts driving. The fact that he called it home for the both of us makes me feel, almost happy. I wish I could go home. Seojun's house doesn't feel like home. The drive back feels like nothing as I am trapped in my thoughts the whole time. I look down to my phone as we're pulling into the driveway to see Ji Woo had messaged me.

 

Ji Woo

-Jihoon and I dropped by to check in on you. Why didn't you tell me you were in the hospital?

 

The car door opens snapping me out of my daze. I look up to see Jimin standing before me. The night air brushing across my face. The soft glow of the street lamps illuminating his face. His skin has a sort of golden glow to it under the soft night light. I unbuckle my seat belt and he holds out a hand to me.

“You should take it easy when moving around.” Jimin says.

I nod to him, lightly gulping to myself. I take his hand his grip firm and steady. He pulls me to my feet effortlessly making me stumble forward into him. My hands finding their way to his toned chest. I look up to see his features softened by the glow of the street lamps. His hands rest on my arms holding me steady. His hands slip around them to embrace me fully but only for a moment.

“T-Thank you.” my voice hitches before pulling away from him.

I can feel my heart beating hard.

“Let's go inside before it gets too cold.” He speaks up.

I nod in agreement avoiding his eyes. I walk around him taking extra distance trying to calm my racing heart. Jimin closes the car door before catching up to me putting a gentle hand on my lower back. I feel my face getting hotter and hotter the more he touches me, the closer we get. I can't let this happen can I?

Part of me wants to stay strong and stay away from him. Another part of me is melting under this sudden soft side he is showing. At this point I want to say I don't know which part of me is winning. But I would be stupid to say the part that wants to stay away from him is winning. I can't let this happen but why am I?

“Eunji!” I hear Ji Woo's worried voice as we walk through the front door.

I peer around the corner to the living room to see her jumping up from the couch. She runs over to me wrapping her arms around me for a tight embrace. I let out a small grunt of pain feeling her squish my abdomen a little too hard.

“Ji Woo you need to be careful with Eunji.” Jimin scolds Ji Woo sternly pulling her away from me.

Ji Woo looks thoroughly confused and surprised giving me a strange look.

“What happened?” Ji Woo asks looking between the two of us.

I put a hand to my stomach not knowing how to explain what happened. Jihoon is behind Ji Woo and sees me holding my stomach. I look at Ji Woo who look mortified for a moment audibly gasping. Jihoon looks furious and turns to Jimin.

“What the hell did you do to her!” Jihoon grabs Jimin by the collar of his shirt.

Jihoon shoves Jimin into the wall behind him. The sudden raising of voices startles who I assume to be the nurse in the kitchen.

“It's not what you think!” I yell holding up my hands.

Jihoon seemingly ignores my plea his fist connecting with Jimin's face. Jimin falls tot he floor and the nurse rushes over to us. Jihoon is ready to swing on Jimin again. I feel a rush of adrenaline and I push myself forward.

“Jihoon stop!” I raise my voice putting myself between the two.

Jihoon takes a step back looking to me his face full of shock. I kneel down to Jimin and I feel a sharp pain in my stomach. I let out a small groan of pain holding my abdomen before falling to my hands and knees. Jimin looks worried as he comes to my side. Jihoon kneeling down to me as well.

“Eunji you need to take it easy.” Jimin says putting a hand on my back.

“Get your hands off of her.” Jihoon snaps at Jimin brushing his hand away fro me.

The nurse comes to my side next helping me to my feet. Jimin stands up glaring at Jihoon.

“I think you should leave. Eunji needs to rest.” Jimin says sternly.

The pain in my stomach becoming more prominent and I feel a cold sweat coming on. My head feels light and I'm dizzy. I look over to Jihoon and his gaze catches mine. There is a sense of guilt rushing across his face. I want to yell at him for hitting Jimin. I want to be mad at him, but I can understand his feelings.

“Eunji, I'm sorry- I just-” He doesn't know what to say.

Ji Woo looks to me, concern washing over her face before turning to her brother. Anger and annoyance overtakes her as she walks over to him.

“Eunji just got back from the hospital and you cause a scene in her home? She clearly doesn't need anymore stress right now!” Ji Woo scolds Jihoon harshly.

Jihoon looks distraught, like he wants to say something but he stays silent.

“You need to leave. Now.” She says harshly.

Jihoon's jaw flexes as he glares at Jimin before turning back to his sister and nodding. Ji Woo walks with Jihoon out of the house and the nurse helps me to the couch in the living room. I sit down and let off a small sigh as it feels good to sit down. The nurse returns to my side with a glass of water and some medicine.

“What is this?” I ask taking the water and medicine from her.

“It's a pain reliever. You need to avoid stressful things while you heal.” She says.

“Thank you, uh- I'm sorry I didn't get your name.” I say.

“Oh no worries. My name is Kang Hana. You can call me what ever is comfortable for you.” She smiles to me.

I nod to her and she goes back to the kitchen. I take the medicine and drink the whole glass of water. I let out a sigh of relief. I sit back and try to relax a bit. I look up and see Jimin standing there. I want to say something before I see Ji Woo coming back into the house.

“I'm so sorry about my brother Jimin.” She apologizes to him.

“It's okay Ji Woo. You don't need to apologize for your brother.” Jimin says wiping the corner of his mouth.

There is a small amount of blood on his finger and he grimaces at the sight. He turns and walks away towards the hallway. I look to Ji Woo with visible guilt on my face.

“It's okay, I'll wait. Go take care of him first.” She says softly to me.

“Thank you.” I nod to her.

I get up as Ji Woo sits on the couch turning on the TV. I walk passed the kitchen towards the hallway as fast as my body will let me. I see the bathroom light on and I hear the faucet running. I walk up to the door to see Jimin splashing water on his face. He pushes his hair back frustratedly and slaps his hand down on the counter. I jump a bit pushing the door open enough for him to notice. Jimin looks up at me through the mirror. I grip the fabric of my shirt tightly.

I bite my lip lightly before stepping into the bathroom. I grab a wash cloth putting it under the running water a bit. I turn to Jimin water dripping from his messy hair, he turns off the faucet. Frustration spread across his face as he stays silent looking to me. I inhale sharply before putting the cloth to his bloodied lip. He winces pulling away from me a bit.

“I'm sorry.” I say breaking the silence.

“You're not the one who punched me.” Jimin says sticking his tongue in his cheek.

“I didn't think he'd hit you.” I shake my head.

“It's fine. I deserved it anyway.” Jimin says pulling away from me.

“Why would you say something like that? You didn't deserve to be hit.” I say stepping towards him.

I put the cloth to his lip once more trying to clean it up the best I can. Jimin grabs my hand pulling it away from his face. He pulls me closer to him his other hand touches my abdomen. The back of his index finger rubbing my stomach gently.

“I hurt you.” Jimin says his voice full of remorse.

I swallow hard my heart racing with how little space there is between us.

“I can't say that you didn't, but that doesn't mean you should hurt too.” I look at him.

I feel tears welling up in my eyes. The thought of Jimin getting hurt makes my chest tight. Jimin lets off a small chuckle gazing down at me.

“I really don't understand you sometimes.” He says before letting me go.

I take a step back feeling my legs get weak. He grabs the cloth from my hand and gives me a faint smile.

“Go. You shouldn't keep Ji Woo waiting for too long. I'll be fine.” he says putting the cloth to his face.

“R-Right. Don't forget to put ointment on your cut.” I say grabbing it from the drawer and setting it down on the counter.

Jimin nods and I walk out into the hallway. He closes the door behind me and I lean up against the wall holding my chest. I stare at the door seeing the light flickering under the door. What is going on with me? Why do I feel like this? I shouldn't feel like this…