The Story

Your Eyes

--At home--

"~~~~~, please try not to get lost on your way to school," Grandfather tells you.

"I use the same path everyday, Grandfather. I can't get lost."

"But children like you need to be reminded constantly, if not you would just follow a stranger back to their house," your grandmother replies.

"I am 17, Grandmother. I am not that gullible."

"You're independant when I say you are, and right now you are as independant as a newborn kitten. Now you better go to school or you'll be late. But I guess you already forgot that, didn't you?"

"I'm sorry. Goodbye, Grandfather. Goodbye, Grandmother."

You quickly walk out and close the door. You sigh. Talk about encouragement. You've been walking down the same road everyday for years now, but your grandparents think you couldn't ever find the way without stopping to ask for directions.

You suddenly think about your mum, who always had faith in you.

Who always encouraged you.

Who loved you.

You feel your eyes watering and angrily wipe the tears away, remembering your grandmother's words.

"Are you crying? Stupid girl. Death is a part of life, and if you can't accept it, how are you going to survive later on? You need to get out of your fairytale world and start living in the real one."

She's right, you told yourself. Crying is for the weak.

You take a deep breath and continue on to school.

 

-- At the school gate--

Wearing your biggest fake smile, you enter the school compound. The first person you see is DaeHyun, lurking under a nearby tree. You walk on by and can't help feeling that he is watching you, but immediately you forget about it when you see your friends running towards you.

"~~~~~!!!!" they shout in unison. "Did you hear about...." they chatter up storms as they sweep you away to class.

 

You're not happy with your life, are you?

 

-- In class--

With everyone gathered around your table, they start discussing their holiday plans.

You couldn't help but tune out of their conversation. All their complaining about how lame their parents are was giving you a headache.

At least your parents are still alive, you think to yourself.

You begin to wonder. Of all these people sitting here, would any of them still be your friend if they knew about your life? You scan the many faces that surround you. Nope, not one of them would, you conclude.

You suddenly notice DaeHyun staring at you. You quickly avert his gaze and pretend to be absorbed in the conversation. He eventually looks away and starts doing his own thing. What's with him? You wonder silently.

 

You may fool them, but you're not fooling me...

 

--End of school, leaving for home--

The moment you say goodbye to your "friends", you drop your act and begin walking home slowly.

"Home. Why do I call it home? Why SHOULD I call it home? It's my house, but not my home," you think as you walk past the park nearby.

"~~~~~, how long do you think you can keep up that act of yours?"

Startled to hear someone call your name, you spin around to find the unfamiliar voice.

You see DaeHyun leaning against a tree, arms folded, his blonde hair blowing slightly in the gentle breeze.

"I - I have no idea what you're talking about," you reply, still shocked at hearing him speak.

"Come on, ~~~~~. That smile of yours... It's fake. What happened?"

You pause, completely bewildered. How does he know that? You look down at your toes, not daring to meet his gaze.

"T - That's not true... I'm fine. I'm happy." You lie. Even you know that wasn't convincing.

"~~~~~..."

You look up to find him only a ruler's length away from you.

"I can read your eyes, ~~~~~. They tell me a million stories without you saying a word..."

You are too stunned to look away from him.

"They say the eyes are the windows to the soul... and in your eyes, I see sorrow..."

He pauses for a moment to let the words sink in. Then he takes a breath and asks,

"~~~~~, what happened to your parents?"

You look down and a tear rolls down your cheek.

Suddenly you feel DaeHyun wrap his arms around you and hug you.

"I'm sorry..."

Overwhelmed by the warmth and kindness of his hug, you begin sobbing.

No, you scold yourself. Crying is for the weak...  I must not...

Sensing your internal struggle, DaeHyun leans in and whispers, "Only the strong ones know how to cry."

Immediately you hug him tight, crying your eyes out in his shoulder. DaeHyun your head caringly and comfortingly, letting you release the sadness you kept with you for years. Finally, he releases you and you both look at each other. He takes out a handkerchief and dries your eyes.

"Let me be your friend, ~~~~~. I'll help you put a real smile on your face. Okay?"

"What are my eyes telling you?" You look at him and smile.

DaeHyun smiles back and puts his arm around your shoulder.

"Come on, I'll walk you home."

 

I'll be your friend, forever...