rookie of the year

Engagement | Park Jimin

now playing: i give you my heart - iu

 

Anmok Beach 안목 해변, Gangneung 강릉시, Gangwon-do 강원도, Republic of Korea 대한

 

Year 2014

 

"Sara-yah." Park Jimin's velvet voice called which made the girl look away from the night sky.

 

"Hmmm?" the girl whispered, as her gaze shifted towards her suitor's affectionate brown eyes.

 

"Thank you..." he quietly said with a grateful smile. "..so much."

 

"For what?"

 

"For constantly reminding me to keep going."

 

She let out a laugh and softly hits his shoulder with her elbow. "What's with the sudden deep talk, huh?" she asked which caused him to let out a chuckle. 

 

He lets out a sigh and looked away from her. "It's just.." he started sadness evident in his tone, his gaze far towards the sea. "..what if you never pushed me to join the auditions? What if I had let my insecurities consume my system that day? What if you weren't there and I backed out?"

 

"Yah, you guys just won Rookie of the Year, and without those moments you wouldn't be here celebrating and you wouldn't have met six amazing people." She told him as a matter of fact. 

 

It's never wrong for Jimin to reminisce at the circumstances that brought him to where he is now yet she's worried that if he talks about those difficult moments he had to endure just to get to where he is at the present time, he will be reminded of his insecurities. She's worried that instead of feeling hopeful he'll just trigger his insecurities and return to a downhearted state. 

 

She smiled and scooted closer to him, her long skirt dragging the sand along with her. She stared at Jimin intently. "I've always known you're going to make it big, Jimin." He smiled to himself upon hearing those words from her and he shifted his gaze from the sea towards the girl's doe eyes. He almost gulped at the closeness of their faces. 

 

He hesitantly reached for her left hand that was resting on her lap. He held her hand gently with both of his and brought it up towards his lips. He looked at her expectantly and asked, his breath bringing warmth to her fingers, "You really do?" 

 

She genuinely smiled and nodded, "Yes, Jimin. I really do. That Rookie of the Year award is just the beginning, I promise you."

 

He smiled back and she almost swore she could see happy tears welling up in his eyes. He held her hand tighter and kissed her knuckles with his eyes still fixed on hers. "I love you so much, Kang Sara."

 

Her smile turned into a sad one. "Jimin, you know I can't-"

 

"Shhhh.. Baby, please just.." He pressed her palm on his cheek. He exhaled deeply and closed his eyes as if he's in pain. "Don't say anything instead if you're not going to say it back." 

 

She bit her lower lip and stared at the ground instead. She couldn't bear seeing him in that state, her hand on his cheek with his hand pressing on hers as if he wants to feel her warmth on his cheek forever. She wants to say it and he knows she feels the same way. 

 

Through the years, Jimin has always respected everything related to her. Most especially her decisions. That's one of the things that show how much he loves her. He'll tell her how he feels about her and she would just say 'Jiminplease don't' and remind him that she's meant to study overseas, or tell him any other set of words that implies she doesn't feel the same, even though her eyes say she does.

 

Jimin cleared his throat and gently dropped her hand. He noticed she couldn't look at him so he brought his fingers to her chin, forcing her to avert her gaze from the sand below. "Babe, it's okay." He forced a small laugh. "It really is. I know you have your reasons why you couldn't say it. I'll always wait."

 

She wanted to cry and when Jimin noticed tears welling up in her eyes, he gently her cheek with his thumb. "Kang Sara, remember this.." he softly started. "..you of all people have already seen me almost giving up on a lot of major things in my damned life but you have never seen me almost giving up on whatever this is that's between us."

 

"Jimin, I-"

 

"You know I never asked or forced anything from you. You know that, right?" 

 

She slowly nodded. He smiled and continued, "Will it be okay if tonight I ask a promise from you?"

 

"What promise, Jimin?" 

 

He cleared his throat and pulled a small black velvet box from his pocket. Sara gasped when she saw the box. The girl started to panic and quickly stood up from the sand. Jimin, who had already predicted her actions, was quick with his reflexes so he immediately stood and blocked her way, her head almost colliding on his chest. 

 

He placed both of his hands on her shoulders and slowly leaned in. Her breathing almost stopped when she felt his plump lips on her cheek. "Listen to me first, Kang Sara. Please.." He whispered, breathing heavily with the tip of his nose touching her forehead, his face dangerously close to hers.

 

Jimin let out a heavy breath and gets down on one knee. He looked up at her, his eyes filled with determination. "Don't panic and just trust me.." he started. "I know I haven't achieved anything big yet in my life and asking for a promise from you right now would seem too much. I don't have a bright future ahead of me yet, either, and I feel like I've never done anything right."

 

A tear fell down Sara's right cheek but she quickly wiped it away. 

 

"Kang Sara, you know I've never been very self-assured but for the first time in my life I am confident about this goal and that is to make you happy. I am confident that I can do it."

 

He smiled up at her and she couldn't help but smile back. He opened the black velvet box and it revealed a heavy-looking ring that features an onyx stone set in sterling silver with the capital letters of the words 'TAEKWONDO BLACK BELT' surrounding the black stone. 

 

"Jimin..." she gasped and this time she didn't bother wiping the tears falling down her cheeks. 

 

"My father gave me this ring after I attained my official black belt in Taekwondo. This is all I can give you right now, but I promise I'll work so hard until I'm capable of getting you ten diamond rings for each of your beautiful fingers."

 

"Jimin, this is..." too much, she wanted to finish but she couldn't say it.

 

"I know the reason why you couldn't say it back. It's because you still want me to achieve big things and follow my dreams... and I love you for that. You know I never asked for anything from you but please allow me this one time to demand anything. Kang Sara..

 

If I make it seven years from now, will you marry me by then?"

 

____________________

 

Hi, this is Garnetcloudss!

I know this book is not as popular as the others but I would really appreciate it if you'd leave an upvote, subscribe, and/or a comment!! That would really motivate me to continue writing the chapters~ 

If ever you reached this early part of the book, thank you for giving this story a chance and for giving it a try!!