ғ ᴏ ᴜ ʀ·°

kalon | choi san

Conversing with San wasn't that hard considering how awkward Haneul became around new people.

"You're hometown is Busan? I'm from Busan too!" Haneul exclaimed. This had to be a coincidence.

"Yes. And perhaps you don't remember, we actually went to the same school." San spoke as he drank from his glass. She arched her eyebrows in slight surprise.

Then it hit her. Why it seemed like she had seen him before. 

Oh.

"Yes! Now I get why you looked so familiar. I had been wondering this from the day we met." For the first time that day, she was speechless. 

She couldn't believe she was this bad. She couldn't even remember the people she went to school with. Something seriously had to be done about this goldfish-like memory of hers. This didn't happen only today but several times before.

She shook her head. "I'm sorry I didn't recognize you."

"It's fine. I almost didn't recognize you too. But then when you told me your name, I remembered. It's been a long time anyway." San lied. How could he not recognize her? He just couldn't bring himself to say the truth right away.

He peered at the drink that was in his hand. "It's funny how small the world is." A soft chuckle left his lips.

As he spoke, Haneul noticed his chiseled jawline, dark eyes and his plump lips as he spoke. He was handsome. Just a tiny bit maybe. 

She was starting to lose focus until he averted his gaze towards the stage and she snapped back into reality.

He was right. The world is in fact, very small. Haneul never imagined herself running into him in a place like this.

"Hey they're taking pictures with all the girls. You want to go?" San asked as the stage filled up with the bridesmaids and the bride's friends.

"Actually, I don't personally know the couple. I'm here with my friend Byeol. She's close with the bride. So I don't think I'll go." 

She glanced at the couple as they laughed through the pictures. The bride, didn't know what her name was, looked really beautiful in that white wedding dress, which was studded with the prettiest gems ever. And the groom seemed to be incredibly in love with her. The way his eyes went to her every time she smiled, told many stories. It's a sight that is truly rare now amongst humans.

"Who's side are you from?" She inquired, looking back at him. She realized that she was zoning out.

"Groom's. He's a friend from college." He stated. Haneul noticed San was wearing a white shirt and black pants. She never knew people could look this good in such simple clothes. 

"I wonder where Byeol went off to." She mumbled. He didn't hear her, rather continued sipping the drink from his glass.

The time passed like that, them casually talking. Byeol finally had come, with two drinks in her hand. She explained as she gave Haneul one how she got occupied while talking to some people. Haneul introduced her to San and Byeol recognized him almost instantly, making Haneul the clown. 

After a while, Byeol went to the restroom as a girl accidentally spilled her drink onto her hand when Haneul's phone lit up. Her brows slightly furrowed, as she read the text. It was from work.

"What is it? Everything okay?" San inquired as he caught the slight change in her face. 

"Yeah everything's fine. It's work." Haneul explained.

"Duty calls?" San asked. 

She nodded. "Yes. I need to leave. They caught a suspect from one of my cases and I have to interrogate him now."

"That's a bummer, " He said, a small pout forming on his lips. "I wanted to catch up on more. But it's fine. We can always do it another time." 

"Yeah sure. Why isn't Byeol coming out? Guess I'll just check up on her and then leave." She told him before bidding goodbye. "I guess, I'll see you around?"

He set aside the glass from his hand on the table and took his phone out. "Give me your phone, " he said as he stretched his arm out. Haneul looked at him, amused by what he was doing. She didn't think much and just handed her phone over to him. He typed away something quickly.

"Here, I saved my number on your phone." He called the number and handed it back to her. "And now I have yours. Let's meet up sometimes."

Haneul had this look of uncertainty on her face but he didn't catch that. Maybe this is good for a change. Making a new friend wasn't on her bucket list especially after what happened back in high school. But maybe, just maybe, this is something that'll help her get over that trauma. 

"Sure. I'd love that." She bobbed her head and glanced over at her phone. He had saved his number under the name Choi San. 

"Haven't made any new friends in while. I hope it turns out well, " she added. He knitted his brows ever so scantily, probably from not understanding what she had said.

Just then, Byeol came out of the restroom. And they both left the premises together after bidding goodbye to San. Byeol left after dropping Haneul of at her office. The whole ride had been uneasy for Haneul. She couldn't stop thinking about San and the fact that he wanted to be friends. 

It's totally normal, Haneul. He's not like the others. Quit overthinking. I mentally chided myself.

 

-

 

Word count: 910