ᴛ ᴡ ᴏ·°

kalon | choi san

"So how did the trial go?" Jaeson began as he chewed the food in his mouth, "I heard the guy murdered his wife?" 

Haneul ran a hand through her hair, clearly frustrated. "Don't even get me started. That guy is a huge jerk. He admitted to killing his wife without even batting a lash! How do you do that? You just killed own wife for heaven's sake!" 

She was visibly getting angry Jaeson moved his hands and gestured her to calm down. But oh well, these kind of jerks always seemed to get on her nerves pretty well. 

"It's totally normal. We've dealt with even bigger jerks. Don't you have that elevator case's final trial today?" He inquired. 

Not that case. It's the biggest case she has worked on till now. And there is a fair amount of chance she might lose. 

As Haneul glanced over at the side, she noticed San perking up a bit at the sound of the trial and looked at her with curious eyes. He had food stuffed in his cheeks. Cute. 

"Yes, I've been working without sleeping at all for the past four days. I better win. Wish me luck," she said as she got up with the food tray in her hands. "Gotta go now. Bye folks."

"You are gonna win, you always do. And don't worry, I'll come by." Jaeson was always like that. A caring big brother that she didn't have. 

"Best of luck, Haneul. I'm sure you'll do great." She was about to turn her back on them when San spoke up, munching on his his apple.

He was smiling up at her like a little boy. She couldn't help but smile back at him as she felt this weird connection between them.

"Thank you." Haneul said politely, bowing a little. Then quickly marched off without looking back knowing she was heating up. She couldn't understand why she was getting a little jittery and sighed.

Even though she was walking, a pair of eyes was following her. San didn't once take his eyes off of her back till he saw her walk out of the cafeteria. A deep sigh left his lips. Again, he had missed the chance. But this time, he was determined. He wasn't going to let her go.

-

She came out of the trial room with her hands full of papers from this case. Being utterly exhausted, she just wanted to go home. But then Jaeson approached her, followed by a quiet San who kept on lookimg around.

"That was a tough one," Jaeson said as he high-fived Haneul's free hand. He was quite strong and as a result the papers from her hand almost fell but she saved it at the right moment. 

"But see, I told you were gonna win!" He beamed. 

Haneul breathed out a chuckle. "I won but the sentence isn't long enough," she sighed. "He deserved a full 15 years of jail considering how the victim became brain dead from the fall and then died."

"Still, 12 years isn't a short period." Jaeson tried but obviously, Haneul wasn't satisfied.

"Yes, you handled the case really well," San spoke, "Not everyone can convince the judge like that," he seemed genuinely impressed. It kind of made her happy. Instances like this is what made her choose this job. 

"Thank you, San. That's really nice to hear." She smiled.

"Now go home, quickly. I'm sure you're tired." Jaeson said. "Tomorrow's our day off, so have fun resting for two whole days."

"Yeah, thanks. I'll see you again on Monday." Haneul left shortly after that and as soon as she reached home, her phone lit up. It was as if all of her tiredness was gone seeing that her best friend, Lee Byeol was calling.

"Wassupp , how was the trial?"

"It was okay. Since that stupid mofo got 12 years instead of 15. Totally not fair ugh!"

"Ayy it's fine. 12 years is still a very long time, well at least in jail. We've been friends for 10 years too but it feels like the time passed away so quickly."

She hummed in response.

"So," Byeol began, "do you have a dress ready for the wedding? I still don't know what I'm gonna wear." Oh . The wedding, Haneul had totally forgotten about it.

"Let's see. I think I'll wear that black dress. You know, the one with the gems on the sides." 

Saved it. 

Byeol would've totally given her an earful if didn't she say anything. Haneul kind of tends to forget things, you see.

"Okay. Wear that. It looks good on you. Maybe I'll wear something black too. Oh and don't forget, you're doing my makeup."

"Yup, I'll be there on time."

"You better be, you're always late."

"Hehe, sorry." Haneul sheepishly chuckled.

"Okay, now go rest. I'm sure you're tired."

"Yes ugh. Byeee~"

-

 

 

Word count: 809