ᴛ ʜ ʀ ᴇ ᴇ·°

kalon | choi san

"Ugh, you really should learn to do your makeup you prick," Haneul whined as she gave some final touches to her best friend's elegant features. Byeol and Haneul have been friends since middle school yet, she couldn't even put on lipstick properly without Haneul's help. 

"Why should I when I have you? You know my preferences really well and whatever you do to my face always turns out amazing," Byeol said, sounding as if Haneul was the best artist of the century. "People always say that I look good!"

"Well, true that. If you did it with your non-existent mediocre skills, you'd probably look like a chimpanzee." Haneul's teasing was something very usual that happened around there.

They both burst out laughing. It reminded her of the old times when they would go to school together. They would have endless fits of laughter together and didn't worry about a thing in the world. 

Haneul used to think Byeol was a total before they became friends. Turned out, she's just like her. 

Byeol's like the bright stars which shine in the dark canvas of the night sky. She certainly is the brightest star in Haneul's sky. Just like their names, she says they're soulmates. Haneul always wondered how on earth she found someone like Byeol. She had always been there for her, without ever failing her.

She remembers the times when her, Byeol, Haru and Bom used to hang out together. Bom was the mom and they, her children. Their favorite snack was gelato and would always stop by the shop close to school after the classes ended. 

Sometimes they would even sneak out of school just to see that one cute part-timer at the shop who Byeol had a tiny crush on. Byeol used to get mad whenever they but it would always end with them laughing a bit harder than yesterday.

Now, Byeol and Haneul are the only ones settled in Korea. Haru and Bom are living in the USA. Although, Bom's supposed to come visit us sometime next year. 

They used to live a few blocks apart in Busan. Both of them wanted to go to Seoul National University. That's how they ended up in Seoul. Now they've been living here for over 6 years.

"There, you're done. Now move you peasant. Time for the queen to glow." Haneul said as Byeol playfully pushed me. Still laughing, she sat down in front of the mirror to get ready.

Haneul scrutinized her outfit in the mirror, thinking something was missing. Opening the jewelry box, she picked up her favorite pair of heart-shaped earrings and wore them.

"Byeol, I think I should just change my dress." She raised her voice a bit since Byeol was in the bathroom. The door behind her creaked open a bit and Byeol's head with an irritated expression popped out.

"Oh would you stop with that obsession of yours? You look absolutely perfect."

Haneul sulked. "Okay mom. I'll stop." 

 

They arrived a little late and the wedding hall was already packed and bustling with people. Kids were running around, giggling and playing. It had been a while since Haneul's been to a wedding. She almost forgot how beautifully the halls were decorated on special days like this. 

Byeol being a rising writer, she had a lot of new friends. One of those was the one getting married that day and Haneul couldn't help but say that she had good taste. The whole hall was filled with thousands of flowers and the sweet smell from them was intoxicating, putting Haneul in a better mood instantly. You see, she had this thing for flowers. They made her really happy. The bride probably loved the fall. Because the room certainly looked straight out of it.

They took some pictures then stood by a table. Haneul was admiring the flowers on it when Byeol suddenly wanted a drink. "Hey, you want anything?" 

"Cola would be fine." She answered. "Okay, I'll be right back," Byeol said as she got lost amongst the crowd in the hall and went to find them some drinks.

While Haneul was waiting, she saw a familiar figure pacing a few meters away from her. For a fraction of second, she thought it wasn't him. But then she realized, it really was San. His physique was something that stood out from everyone else.

He cocked his head to her side and caught her staring. Then started to come towards her with a big grin plastered on his features. 

Haneul became a little flustered as she did not do well with people she knew less. But nonetheless kept her cool.

"Hey Haneul! Fancy meeting you here!" San beamed, dimples showing.

"Hi San. How's everything?" Haneul tried putting on a friendly smile to hide the awkwardness that was starting to grow visible.

Being an introvert and lacking communication skills can sure be a handful at times. Once Bom had told Haneul that the key to having a good conversation with someone new is cracking some jokes. But most of the times, she would turn herself into the joke. 

Nice. 

Let's just hope she doesn't mess this up and embarrass herself.

Word count: 892