scary as

Between Scylla and Charybdis

"You can't just abandon me and leave me here to die!", a scandalized Miyeon exclaims.
"Whoa, unnie, not even I'm that dramatic.", Shuhua hides her amused grin behind her hand. "Ok, wait, I am, but that's besides the point right now. I really need new socks. At this point, every single pair I own, is more hole than sock because of dance practice. Besides, Soojin is here!"
"That's exactly why I don't want to be alone!", she hisses under her breath. 
"You literally made out with her two days ago, what do you mean?", Shuhua stares at Miyeon, in slight bewilderment. 
"I haven't spoken to her since then, at least not one-on-one, I'm gonna make a fool of myself and she's gonna break up with me because I'm such a loser, please don't leave me here, Shu.", Miyeon dramatically drops to her knees, gripping onto her girlfriend's arm with both hands.
"Miyeon, do you realize that you're behaving like a loser in front of me, aka your other girlfriend, who could also break up with you, but doesn't because she somehow finds you adorable instead of pathetic?" 
"I-...", she starts.
"You'll be fine, Soojin is much nicer to you than I am anygays. Now I gotta go meet up with Handong to buy socks, so go be a gay mess in Soojin's room or wallow in self pity until I'm back, your choice.", Shuhua pulls the older up and gives her a quick peck, followed by a sweet "I love you" which Miyeon echoes with a pout as Shuhua makes for the front door, grabbing her keys on the way. Half way out the door she seems to contemplate something, the smirk displayed across her face as she turns around making Miyeon raise her eyebrow in dread laced suspicion. 
"Forget something?", the brunette asks.
Shuhua's grin only widens.
"Jinjin-ah! Come give me a goodbye kiss!", she shouts across the dorm.
"YOU LITTLE SHI-...", Miyeon quickly stops hissing as Soojin walks out of her room up to Shuhua wearing an expression of fake annoyance as she kisses her younger girlfriend goodbye, the latter promptly leaving, not before shouting a snarky "Bye my Scylla and Charybdis of idiocy!" and slamming the door shut.


"She is unbelievable", Soojin chuckles. 
"You look so whipped when you say that, it's kind of endearing.", Miyeon comments softly when Soojin turns around, a dopey smile still spread across her face. "Do you look at me like that too, when I leave to go somewhere?"
Soojin, now standing in front of Miyeon, looks at her, puzzled.
"How?"
"Like, all dopey and heart-eyed."
"I don't look at anyone with heart eyes."
"So then what do you call the look you just gave Shuhua?"
"I didn't realize I was giving her a specific look."
"Huh... I guess it's different, when you're observing it, than when you're the one doing it. I don't even know why I asked you that. Nevermind.", the brunette turns to leave, but is stopped by soft fingers curling around her wrist. 


"Miyeon unnie? Hey, look at me.", Soojin cradles her girlfriend's jaw with a gentle hand and looks into her eyes, a hint of worry in her gaze. "Don't compare yourself to Shuhua. I love you both the same amount. And I'm sure, whatever look I was giving Shuhua, Is the same way I look at you when you're with you're back turned to me, because you two are the most important people in my life. Also... I heard you talking to Shuhua earlier..."
"Oh my God, do you have enhanced hearing or something, you seriously don't miss anything we talk about!", Miyeon squeals, burying her reddened face in her hands.
"Sorry to break it to you, but even when you're "being quiet", you two are the loudest individuals I have ever encountered.", the younger chuckles. "My point is, you don't have to be shy or scared to talk to me. Just because we're together now, that doesn't mean we can't talk to each other like before."
Soojin pries her older girlfriend's hand away from her face and looks at her with the most sincerity she can muster. "I love you, ok?"
To emphasize her point she softly kisses the older girl's forehead and takes her hands in her own.
"...I love you too, Soojinnie", Miyeon finally speaks up. The two girls share a sweet moment just getting lost in each other's eyes.


"Hey Soojin?", Miyeon decides to be bold for once. The younger girl hums. "Would you like to go on a date with me?"
"Like right now?"
"Yeah."
"Ok, just let me change into some jeans, 'cuz as comfortable as the sweats are, I'm not having anyone see me like this.", she grins.
"But you look so adorable.", Miyeon teases her. 
"Exactly. I have an image to uphold, and it is NOT adorable. I'm The Fierce y Soojin, not The Adorable Soojin.", she flips her hair for effect and walks off to change clothes, swaying her hips back and forth smugly.
Eventhough the brunettes throat goes dry at the sight she manages to by saying: "You're still cute in those pants Ms. I'm Too y For This World."
"I can't hear you!"
Miyeon laughs out loud. Maybe Shuhua was right. 
______________
"So, where are you taking me m'lady?", Soojin wraps her hand around Miyeon's biceps - a habit she's had since forever and both Shuhua and Miyeon would be lying if they said it didn't make them swoon time and time again.
"Shouldn't I be the one calling you m'lady, since I'm taking you out?", the older giggles teasingly.
"No, because we're woke and empowered women who don't give a about societal norms.", Soojin banters back, making the older girl snort. "Besides, that would make you my knight in shining armor and no offense sweetie, but you'd be the most clumsy knight ever."
"Hey! I'd be better than Don Quixote for sure though!", Miyeon pouts.
"Who now?", the younger's face a has an adorable look of confusion written across her face.
"He's a noble who essentially read so many stories about the typical knight-in-shining-armour romances, that he goes crazy and thinks he's living that life, when in reality he's delusional and thinks es are noble ladies and... yeah, point is, I would be better than him.", Miyeon explains briefly.
"I-... How do you know who that is but not whatever Shuhua meant with Scylla and Charybdis?", Soojin gapes at her incredulously.
There is a brief silence in which Soojin is sure she can see a slight blush creep up Miyeon's face until she clears .
"I'm really interested in spanish literature?"
The fact that it comes out as more of a question than a statement makes Soojin squint her eyes in suspicion.
"Oh really?"
"... Ugh, fine! I may or may not have googled "classics and myths everyone should know" when we went home that day, so I wouldn't be clueless when Shuhua makes another reference like that."
The brunette hides her face in her hands, embarrassed.


For a moment the younger of the two just gapes at her. Then, the corners of her lips tilt upwards and her eyes darken with that familiar glint of mischief, Miyeon has known long enough to dread what's coming next.
"OH MY GOD, THAT IS HILARIOUS BAHAHAHAHA!", Soojin falls to her knees, clinging to Miyeon's arm for support as she wheezes on the ground gasping for air.
"YAH! EONNIE, WE'RE IN PUBLIC, STOP IT!", the older girl whines as she pulls her girlfriend up, making her hang onto her shoulder while wiping away a tear that has escaped her eyes in her fits of laughter.
"You're so mean...", Miyeon pouts once the younger girl has calmed down and they can continue their walk.
"I'm sorry but you have to admit it's funny!", Soojin takes a quick look around to make sure no one is watching as she pulls down her mask to place a quick peck on her girlfriend's cheek.
"Better?", she smiles innocently.
"Whatever.", Miyeon says nonchalantly, but her red cheeks betray her.


"Sure... Hey, so, since you read up, wanna tell me what the hell Scylla and Charybdis are?"
"I-... First you tease me for being interested in learning and now you want me to tell you?", Miyeon gasps, fake upset.
"Just tell meeee.", Soojin whines.
"Fine.", the older concedes, intertwining their hands as they stroll down the street. (Rumors say she has been dying to show off her newly acquired knowledge anyway, but rumors are just rumors). "Essentially they're two sea monsters on either side of the strait of Messina; that's where the part of the ocean separating Sicily from the mainland of Italy thins out the most. 
Scylla, on the shore of the mainland, is sort of like a woman with six dog heads instead of a body and a scaled tail. Charybdis, on the Sicilian shore, essentially just swallows huge amounts of water and spits them out again creating a whirlpool effect. That means, there is no safe way to pass between the two; either Scylla will eat you or Charybdis will swallow you. That's why nowadays we use the phrase "to be caught between Scylla and Charybdis" when we're in a dilemma situation."
Soojin comes to a halt.


"Everything ok?", the older girl turns to face her.
"... that was way to attractive for no reason.", the dancer huffs, a lingering darkness glinting in her eyes.
Miyeon blushes furiously and she thanks whoever is listening that they wear masks to hide their faces in public. Unfortunately the mask doesn't prevent her from stumbling over words which she hasn't even registered are falling from .
"I-.. Tha-... told you, I-... r-ead up unf-...air, YAh stop it!", she eventually manages to whine at Soojin's amused giggle.
"There's the cute Miyeon we all know and love.", she laughs, pulling Miyeon onwards.
"Also, Shuhua's such a little for that comparison.", this prompts the older to snort in agreement as she feels her face returning to a normal temperature.
"Oh, we're here.", she realizes.


Silence.
Then a squeal.
"You brought me to a CAT CAFÉ!?!"
Miyeon can't tell if she's happy or horrified.
"...Yes?", she fiddles with her bracelet nervously, suddenly overthinking her decision, when Soojin leans close to her as if to tell her a secret. 


"Don't tell Shuhua, but you have been promoted to the position of best girlfriend ever as of right now.", she whispers, a smile evident in her tone.
Miyeon's heart flutters at the unexpected words and she has to bite her lip, because...


"Wait, why are you crying, what did I do, did I do something, PLEASE DON'T CRY!", the younger panics.
In an attempt to end her rambling she takes her hand and leans their foreheads against each other. (She would have used her words, but she's kind of all choked up).
The brunette takes a deep breath in to steady her voice.
"I love you.", she breathes so softly, Soojin can just barely make out the words, but it's enough.
"... Don't get me wrong, I like your cat café idea a lot, but right now, the dorms seem really appealing.", she husks, their eyes meeting in a passionate lock.
And Miyeon really doesn't need the clarification, but she still asks.
"What do you mean?"
"I really want to kiss you right now.", Soojin's fingers move to interlace with hers.
"I never thought I would prefer the dorms to cuddling with cats", Miyeon giggles.
It breaks the tension and she's kind of grateful, because she doesn't know how much restraint she could have mustered before she would have inevitably torn away the younger girl's mask to kiss her the way they both wanted her to.
 Soojin pulls ways. 
"Come on, let's go cuddle some cats."
With a wink she adds. "We can always cuddle each other when we get back home." 

_____________

Ok, so I was gone for... a hot minute, sorry, I had a lot of things going on with uni and my mental state was not the best. I'm gonna be on summer break soon tho, so I hope that means more time to write.

As for this story, since there was never supposed to be much of a plot, I'm thinking one more chapter and then it's a wrap. 

Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments, I love reading them :)

Stay safe and healthy everyone!

--Monkee