Pumpkin & Princess

Love me the Same

“I have to tell my mum.”

 

    “About what?”
 

    “Tiffany.” Jessica bites her lip, “I asked Soojung to keep quiet, but I can’t just go there without letting them know. Too much room for them to make comments that could make her uncomfortable.”

 

    “Look at you, worrying about your girlfriend. Such a cute couple.”

 

    Jessica rolls her eyes at Chaelin incessant teasing. But to be honest she does worry about Tiffany, the woman has quickly earned a special place in her life and she will do what she can to make sure she is welcomed by her family members. If this makes them a cute couple, then so be it. 

 

    Chaelin’s smile fades into a softer one, the kind of smile she has in the rare moments when she expresses her real feelings. “I’m happy to see how much you care about her. Tiffany is a good friend and I know she looks like a ball of sunshine that’s always happy, but being here all alone affects her a lot more than she shows.” She locks eyes with Jessica, “And I know that you are fine on your own, but I think having her in your life has a positive impact as well. Not to mention how nice it will be to have someone there for you when you guys go on this trip.”

 

    “You’re a good friend, Chae. Thanks for looking out for the both of us.” Chaelin shrugs at Jessica’s compliment, back to her usual self, “And you’re right, I think being in each other’s lives has been positive for us. I know Tiffany is a lot more sensitive than one might think at first and I’m happy she trusts me enough to be there for her when she needs me.”

 

    “What will you guys do when you come back to Seoul?”

 

    “What do you mean?”

 

    “Your relationship. Are you going to keep being together or will you break up after the family trip is over?” She considers the quick changes of emotion on Jessica’s face and realises something, “You haven’t talked about this.”

 

    “It didn’t occur to me and Tiffany didn’t say anything, but I guess breaking up is what makes the most sense.” As she says this there’s a feeling in the pit of her stomach, something she chooses to ignore for now. There’s too many things to be stressed about as it is, once all of this is over she can allow herself to ponder about this. 

 

    “You think so?” Chaelin’s teasing smile is back, “I think Tiffany has grown quite fond of you, and I’m willing to bet she would like to continue being your girlfriend.”

 

    “That’s nonsense, you’re just trying to annoy me again.”

 

    “You can think that if you want, but I’ve seen you guys together. Maybe it’s time for you to give her a real chance.”

 

    “Chae, I’m not even into women.”

 

    “If you say so. I’ll go finish this in my office.” Chaelin gets up from her chair, taking a folder from the desk. Right before walking out of the office, one hand holding the door open, she looks at Jessica, “You might not be into women, but you’re definitely into Tiffany.” And with that she walks out, closing the door, and leaving a flustered Jessica behind.

 

    Chaelin has the habit of teasing her to this point, it’s frustrating because even after years she still gets affected. It’s harmless and Chaelin never crosses the line, but it’s embarrassing how easily she gets flustered over her teasing. She is a full grown adult, not a teenager. Her phone screen lighting up distracts her from the previous topic.

 

    Tiffany: I need to ask you something

 

    Jessica: Shoot

 

    Tiffany: Can I tell people that I have a girlfriend?

 

    She was expecting something more serious, like asking to give up on their plan. Telling people about them shouldn’t be a problem, is not like it’s a secret relationship anyway.

 

    Jessica: Of course you can

 

    Tiffany: Thanks! And another thing

            I might have already mentioned I was dating someone and my coworkers told me to bring you to our Christmas party. Do you want to?

 

    This is new, she didn’t consider they could be doing something else as a couple. Jessica stares into nothing for a couple of minutes trying to decide if she should go. Tiffany is saving her life by doing all of this for her, it would be fair to do something for her as well. 

 

    Tiffany: Also, I think I’ll tell my family so they don’t worry about me being all alone 

 

    Jessica: You should tell them, I’m sure they will be happy to know you’ll have company

 

    Tiffany: It’s fine if you don’t wanna go with me, no pressure

 

    She ponders on whether she should accept the invitation. Chaelin’s words on how she never does anything outside of work ringing in her head push her to make a choice. It is outside of her comfort zone by a lot, but Tiffany will be there with her so it can’t be that bad.

 

    Jessica: When is it? I would love to go with you

 

    She sees Tiffany start typing a couple of times before her phone rings, it seems that just a text wouldn’t be enough. As she picks up, the other woman doesn’t give her time to say anything before she starts shooting words like bullets.

 

    “I’m so sorry for calling, I didn’t even ask if you were too busy to talk. This was so rude of me, but then I was already calling you and it felt like it would be even worse to drop the call, and I didn’t know what to do.”

 

    “Fany, breathe.” She hears the woman take a deep breath, “It’s okay, I would let you know if I couldn’t talk. I assume you called to talk about the party.”

 

    “Yes! It will be on the 18th and it’s a casual thing, we just meet up after the last Friday of work before Christmas every year.” Tiffany is talking so casually that it sounds forced, as if she is trying really hard to be nonchalant about it all.

 

    “And you just happened to mention me to your colleagues?”

 

    “Well, I…” She sighs, “They were trying to set me up with one of the guys. And I tried to just say I wasn’t interested, but they kept insisting… so…”

 

    “So you told them about me?” Jessica decides to help her finish the sentence since clearly the woman was having difficulty finding the words.

 

    “Yeah.” She replies weakly, “Are you mad?”

 

    “No, of course not. I guess this relationship can help the both of us.”

 

    “Would you be mad if I said something along the lines of ‘I don’t wanna go out with him because I have a really hot girlfriend.’?”

 

    “You didn’t say that, did you?” Jessica really hopes this is just Tiffany trying to . Meeting her work friends is nerve wracking enough without a comment like that preceding their encounter.

 

    “I might have,” Tiffany giggles, “Don’t be mad. I was annoyed at them and I do have a really hot girlfriend, it kind of just came out.”

 

    “I’m not mad, but…” Jessica groans, “It’ll be so awkward to meet them now.”

 

    “I promise to take you out on Saturday as an apology.”

 

    “Did you just turn this into an opportunity to ask me out?”

   

    “Maybe.” Tiffany says, dragging the word a little. Which is something that Jessica learnt she does when she is smiling. It’s one of those things you notice on people around you and over time you can see it even if you’re not in their presence.

 

    “Fine. We’ll have lunch on Saturday and you can go get some last minute gifts with me.”

 

    “Perfect! That means our date will last longer.”

 

    “You’re awfully flirty today.” Jessica squints, “Are your coworkers around and you want to prove that you really have a girlfriend?”

 

    “God, no. I wouldn’t do something like that. I’m just happy you accepted to go out with me twice in the same week. It seems that I show happiness by flirting.”

 

    “And here I thought I was special.” Jessica pretends to be offended.

 

    “You are quite special, dear. I never said I flirt with anyone. One could even say it’s something I save just for you.” 

 

    Once again, Jessica is cursing herself for being so easy to fluster. Tiffany’s words successfully turned her into a blushing disaster that can’t think of a way of teasing back. “I’ll go back to work. Talk to you later.” The giggles on the other side are the last thing she hears before hanging up.



 

    The party didn’t start out bad at all. They all met at a pub downtown, a cozy place that Jessica had never heard of before tonight. There’s probably around 30 people in their group, but they ended up in smaller groups, as it happens in these events. The only thing bothering her is this guy who keeps staring at her since they got here. At first she thought it was just her anxiety making it feel like everyone is looking at her, but it’s not that. 

 

    “You okay?” Tiffany asks when her friends get distracted in an argument over a series that Jessica never heard of.

 

    “Yeah, sorry I’m not talking much.”

 

    “Don’t worry about it, I’m just happy you came.” Tiffany loosely holds her hand, caressing her knuckles, “Are you sure you’re okay?”

 

    Jessica sighs and discreetly looks at the man who’s been staring at her. His eyes still glued at them. “Why is that guy looking at us?”

 

    Tiffany follows the direction Jessica looked before and her expression hardens, this is the first time she sees Tiffany looking angry.

 

    “That’s Henry.” She looks back at Jessica, her face becoming immediately gentler, “He is the one my coworkers wanted to set me up with, it seems that he wanted that as well. I’m sorry he’s making you uncomfortable. I’ll talk to him.” She makes a motion to walk over to the man, but Jessica holds her hand.

 

    “Don’t.” She pulls Tiffany closer, “I mean… unless you want to talk to him, of course. I wouldn’t be in the way—if it’s what you want.”

 

    “You’re not in the way. I really wouldn’t want to be here with any other person besides you.”

 

    “I thought that, maybe, if I hadn’t showed up in your life you could have accepted going out with him.”

 

    “No, no, don’t even think about it.” Tiffany moves closer to her, hands resting on her waist, “He’s a nice guy, but we have nothing in common but work and the fact we both speak English. I wouldn’t say that’s enough for me to want to go out with someone.”

 

    Jessica feels weird about their proximity, she wouldn’t say she’s uncomfortable. Tiffany enjoys physical contact and it isn’t a problem for her. She doesn’t know how to describe how she’s feeling right now, but it’s odd.

 

    “I much prefer being here with you, Jess.”

 

    The remainder of their night is pleasant, Henry leaves not long after that. Everyone else is nice and friendly towards Jessica, making her feel welcomed in a way she didn’t expect at all. 




 

    On Saturday morning Jessica has a less positive view of the previous night. She is not used to going out, and having to wake up before noon the day after seems like torture at the moment. 

 

    Tiffany: Good morning! I’ll pick you up in an hour

 

    She groans reading the text. Maybe a warm shower and a cup of coffee can get some energy into her body. 

 

    Jessica: Fine, I’ll get out of bed

 

    The shower did wonders, she feels less like a goblin now. After she gets dressed in something warm and dries her hair there is still enough time left to enjoy a cup of black coffee while mindlessly scrolling through social media. The small joys of a lazy morning.

 

    Tiffany: I’m here

 

    She grabs her things and walks out of the apartment, feeling a lot better and ready to meet Tiffany.

 

    “No one should be allowed to be this beautiful in the morning. I don’t feel worthy of being in your presence.” Tiffany has her back resting against the car, a Slytherin scarf covering her chin and even with sunglasses on Jessica can tell her smile is turning her eyes into little crescents.

 

    “I looked like Gollum when I woke up. If I look decent now you must know that it took effort.” 

 

    “I’m flattered.”

 

    “I didn’t say I put in effort on my appearance for you.”

 

    “I’m still flattered just for being blessed by your presence.” Tiffany moves away from the car, “We should go, I’m starving.”

 

    After a few minutes of driving towards the restaurant and talking about their plans for the day, Jessica decides to bring up something more serious.

 

    “I think I should tell my parents about us before the trip.”

 

    “Oh? I thought you wanted to make it a surprise so it would be more shocking to them.”

 

    “I did.” She looks through the window, lost in the blur of the city as they move, “But I realised that making sure they will have time to process can help avoid any uncomfortable situations for you—for us.”

 

    “I’m sure it won’t be that bad. They seem lovely from what you told me.”

 

    “They are, they are some of the most amazing people I know.”

 

    “So why?”

 

    “Even nice people say bad things sometimes. Being nice sure doesn’t keep them from making comments about my love life—which is annoying in itself—but I’m used to it. If they were to make comments that don’t affect just me… I want to avoid it. Not sure if it makes sense.”

 

    “I get it.” 

 

    They stay quiet for a few minutes, Jessica still looking outside and focusing on nothing in particular. As they stop on a red light, Tiffany breaks the silence. “You care about people a lot, I admire that and I like being one of these people you care about. I just wish you’d take better care of you as well.”

 

    “Making sure you’ll be comfortable around my family is a part of taking care of me. I wouldn’t be happy if they made you upset, even without meaning.”

 

    “If you think telling them before will help, I’m okay with it.”

 

    “Should I call my mum now?”

 

    “We have like 10 minutes before we arrive. You can call her if you want.”

 

    “Okay.” Jessica takes a deep breath unlocking her phone.

 

    “Hi, mum… I miss you too… Sorry, I know… I know,” She rolls her eyes, “Listen, I need to tell you something… No, it’s not that… Yeah, I know… I’m taking someone with me for Christmas and I…”

 

    Tiffany chuckles at the loud noise coming from Jessica’s phone which she assumes it’s her mother’s reaction.

 

    “No… mum, listen… we haven’t been dating for long so please don’t scare her off, okay?” She sighs, “Soojung already knew… yeah, I told her a few days ago… I gotta go now… I love you too. Bye.”

 

    “So?”

 

    “She got a bit excited.”

 

    “Oh, so it was excited loud and not mad loud?”

 

    “Definitely. Weirdly enough she didn’t seem very surprised about your gender. She promised to behave around you, but I’m sure I’ll go through a lot of questions once she can get me alone.”

 

    “What if I never leave you alone?” Tiffany parks the car in front of the restaurant, “I can act like a clingy girlfriend for a few days.”

 

    “Tiff, you wouldn’t have to act. You are a clingy girlfriend.” Jessica says and gets out of the car.

 

    Tiffany quickly follows, “I wanted to cuddle once and suddenly I’m clingy?”

 

    “I’m not complaining. You can be as clingy as you want, especially around my family.” She reaches for Tiffany’s hand, “They annoyed me about my love life, I might as well give them a lot of PDA as revenge.”

 

    “Who says I’m okay with that?” Tiffany says in a serious tone, “We never agreed on any pda.”

 

    “You’re right… that was so insensitive of me… I…” She sees Tiffany smile as she can’t contain it anymore, “You’re just messing with me, aren’t you?”

 

    “A little, yeah.” Tiffany leads them inside the restaurant, “But I think we should discuss how we’ll act.” 

 

    Once they are at their table and the waiter leaves them alone, Jessica decides to bring up the previous subject. “Maybe we could define some ground rules?”

 

    “For lunch?” Tiffany looks up from the menu raising an eyebrow, “Oh… you mean decide whether we should make out in front of your grandparents.”

 

    “That’s a no. But you got the general idea.”

 

    “Okay, so what should we do?”

 

    “Anything you’re not comfortable with?”

 

    Tiffany ponders for a moment, “I guess kissing would be weird.”

 

    “I don’t think we have to worry about it. Other than that, what do couples usually do publicly that we don’t?”

 

    “We have enough physical contact for you to call me clingy, so I guess there’s not much left, unless…” She looks directly at Jessica, “Pet names?”

 

    “Oh, God. Aren’t pet names too cheesy?”

 

    “Yeah,” Tiffany grimaces, “especially when they don’t come naturally, but it would be a great way of stepping up our annoying couple game.”

 

    They spend their lunch coming up with the most obnoxious pet names. The final list is: sweet pie, pumpkin, princess, and muffin. All of them seem like good options to make anyone want to be a mile away from them. This trip will be amusing at the very least.

   


A.N: Happy holidays, everyone! I wanted to have the Christmas chapter out this week, but then JeTi decided to do other things first.