Side 1: The AU - A Preview

Whose Baby are You?

Four families were gathered at the Kim’s residences. Initially, their gathering was because of their monthly tradition - they’d meet up in one couple’s home, according to the order they had agreed on, to spend the weekends together. No agenda planned; they considered each other as one family so it was always a pleasant, lax reunion among family members. 

 

That day had been an exception, however, when a mother found her son missing from their room and cannot be found anywhere. Jeonghan couldn’t be consoled. While her husband, with Seokmin, Jihoon and Mingyu, searched outside for their boy, she was asked to keep base in the house just in case Chan returned. But he didn’t. The sun was going down and still her little boy was missing. She hadn't received any good news from Seungcheol either. 

 

She did try to keep a strong face, her younger dongsaengs needed her. However, she can’t even lie to herself that she hurt whenever she saw them with with their children - when Jisoo would scramble to clothe both of her twins before Hansol would run from her and Seungkwan would go following her brother, when Soonyoung would pace back and forth the room while rocking baby Myungho to sleep, and when Wonwoo would gently caress her swollen tummy and whisper sweet words to baby Jun. She hurt, and her other friends weren’t so dense as to not notice it. They smiled when she tried, but when she would break in tears, they allowed her to grieve, offering their shoulders to her.

 

Seungcheol hadn’t let go of his wife since he, Mingyu and Seokmin returned with no Chan that further saddened her. She cried in his embrace until she had fallen asleep and when she woke up next, she could hear her husband talking to someone on the phone.

 

"Cheol? Who's that? Wait, I can hear Chan! Our baby!"

.

.

.

.

.

 

(Alternate Universe - Kim’s Residences)

 

Jeonghan can’t believe they were in this situation. Her baby leaping through space and time and whatever other physics to land on a different world! But it’s okay! She’s gonna be okay, because her Channie is safe! She’s not bothered that her friends’ experiment got her son; she’s just very VERY relieved that her baby is safe and soon, they can reunite with him again. Cheol must have been the same. Sure his voice resounded in the room when he just bursted at Mingyu (only to Gyu, they had to repeatedly assure Wonwoo who kept saying their apologies), but after the scolding, relieved laughters came from him, hugging the then poor puppy and his wifey as he mumbled his thanks. Their son is alive and safe! 

 

The atmosphere of the home had lightened. The feeling of dread was replaced with determination. They were now on a mission. They’re gonna get Chan back!

 

Wonwoo was on her laptop, typing down the details they were gathering from Seungcheol of the other universe. At her side was Mingyu who was in charge of the call and was asking questions. Now their Seungcheol stood next to their tallest, keeping watch of their work and willingly becoming their runner/helper if they needed anything. He was the messenger of Mingyu and relayed his instructions to Seokmin and Jihoon who offered to help make the necessary adjustments on the machine - flipping switches, pressing buttons and entering some codes, just basic things they can definitely do.

 

Jeonghan could be found in the Lee-Hong family’s room preparing a bag of essentials for the kids. She had prepared Chan’s, then Myungho’s (since mommy Soonyoung was busy bathing him) and currently, she was helping Jisoo fix Hansol and Seungkwan’s own bag. Her friend’s little angels were a handful at times. Jeonghan doesn’t know how Jisoo does it. It must’ve been difficult, caring for two bundles of joy who were just that - always busting with energy like their father Seokmin (thank goodness Hansol was a bit more like his mama, though the boy was just as mischievous as his sister).  Still, despite what she goes through everyday with twins, the smile on her as she chases Hansol and Seungkwan in their room told Jeonghan enough to know that Jisoo was not minding the struggles at all. And she can understand. 

 

She found herself laughing at the cute scene before her. Jisoo ran for the two toddling babies, holding Solie’s tiny socks in one hand and in the other, Kwanie’s clip-on bows. She had dressed Hansol first and was working on her daughter’s hair when she saw her son remove his socks and went happily toddling off towards the door (probably to find his papa). She bolted to keep Sol away from the door because it was dangerous and to her surprise, Seungkwan had also followed. So the mother-son-daughter trio was now playing a game of ‘tag’ (must be in the imagination of the two toddlers). Hansol, on his tiny bare feet, had gotten their hair comb and was clutching it as he ran. Seungkwan ran with him, her hair all poofy in disarray with a single bow that was hanging on for dear life. 

 

“Hani, catch Kwan!” The little girl was going in her direction. She quickly stood, temporarily abandoning the towelette she was folding, to capture the bouncy Seungkwan in an embrace.

 

“Seungkwan-ah, that’s not very lady-like at all. No princess runs like that, and look at this! Your hair’s still a mess! Tsk Tsk, what will prince Chan say?” Jeonghan playfully scolded the squirming child in her arms who was squealing in laughter. At the mention of her friend’s name, she became still and had looked up adorably at her. 

 

“Channie? Kwanie Pwetty!” The girl looked like she was proving a point, even patting her cheeks. She chuckled at the adorableness of it and couldn’t help to break a big smile as she lifted the girl in her lap. 

 

“Of course you are, Kwanie! But I’ll make you even prettier, okay baby? Hmm… how about we do an apple hair tie for now, while your mom gets the comb from your brother.” 

 

The twins were a handful, but definitely sweet little angels that make Jisoo very happy. 

 

Just like how her Chan makes her very happy too. 

.

.

.

.

.

 

Jeonghan smiled at her master piece. Seungkwan was looking like an adorable apple! She had put her down and almost immediately, she ran towards Hansol who was no longer bare-feet (thanks to his mom). Jisoo plopped tiredly beside her. She chuckled at the tired mother and led her friend to lean on her.

 

“You okay? Want me to catch them?” 

 

She returned a chuckle and gave Hani a smile. “Mmh mmh, I’m great. They’re good exercise for me too. Just let them run for now. They’ll get tired soon and it’ll be easier to put them to sleep later.” 

 

A knock then came from the door (more like a foot hitting it), that got the attention of both women. “Hani? Soo? I’m carrying Hao.” And that was enough for one of them to get up and meet Soonyoung at the door and the other to prepare a small bed for the coming baby.

 

“Here comes Hao-Hao!” At the cheer of his mom, the baby boy squeaked and wriggled. He was only in a towel, still a bit damp from his bath. Soonyoung must have rushed them to their room but little Myungho was just enjoying it, especially when his friends were coming to play with him. The hamster chuckled at the two bundles huddling at her to touch Hao’s chubby foot. The interaction made the baby wriggle his legs more and was bouncy in his mother’s hold.

 

“Wah! Smelling so good, Hao! Hao-Hao’s a very clean baby!” Jisoo chidded in. She took the baby bag from her friend and had her kids make a bit of room so their auntie Nyoung can reach the bed and lay Myungho down.

 

On the bed, waiting for the wriggly baby, was a small blanket and pillow printed with bunnies. Jeonghan guided the small head to land on the soft pillow, and once settled, she pulled the two bolsters closer to him for more security. 

 

"Unnie, his onesie is in the bag. Can you please get it for me?" Jeonghan nodded and immediately went for the request. Jisoo was again with Hansol. The boy was excitedly babbling to his mommy how they're gonna 'pway' with Hao. , Seungkwan, on the other hand, followed her. She seemed to have caught her attention (well she is favorite aunt). She beckoned the child to come closer to her, and together they opened the baby bag...

 

Jeonghan can’t keep a chuckle. 

 

“Tger?” said the little girl beside her, and she laughed, nodding at the child and pulling her to a hug. “Soonyoung-ah! This… I can’t believe…. *chuckles* Jihoon will be mad! *chuckles*.” She held it up - a tiger onesie for Myungho. She can’t believe her friend is letting baby Hao to her Tiger agenda. Jihoon was obviously whipped for his wife to just go with her love for tigers, but to also see it on his son. Oh, Hoon will definitely have something to say on this.

 

“Isn’t it cute, unnie? Mommy tiger and her cute little cub Hao. Jihoon won’t be able to say no!” Soonyoung took the small clothing from Han and gently put it on her baby. Once fully dried and clothed, she held the baby up to present to her friends her tiger cub. The way she was recreating that Lion King scene at Pride Rock made it more amusing. Jisoo stared at the mother-baby (tiger?) duo and was also amazed with Soonyoung. 

 

“Soonyoung-ah… *chuckles* well, can’t deny it. Hao’s so cute!”

 

“Right, right? My baby’s so adorable!” She lifted the baby higher before finally landing him back to the safety of her cradle. Jeonghan saw how Soonyoung cuddled her Hao-Hao, pressing her nose to the chubby cheeks of the baby.  From the side, Jisoo was being sandwiched by her own babies, and she was happily kept busy trying to keep up with their babblings. 

 

It was an endearing sight… that made the longing in her grow.

 

Jeonghan sighed and silently went over to Chan’s bag. She’ll be with her baby soon, and she can also embrace him so tightly in her arms again.