i didn't get much sleep last night but that's alright

let's play pretend, let's act like it comes naturally (we look happy in our family portrait)

Bora was in a trance watching another episode of Legends of Tomorrow, when someone sat down next to her, but she paid it no mind, her eyes focused on whatever shenanigans the Legends were getting on in that episode.

“What are you watching?”, a small voice said next to her.

Bora rubbed her eyes and looked at Hyejoo sitting next to her.

While she didn’t necessarily need to sleep (unless she hadn’t fed well in days or something as crazy as the last few days happened) like a regular human, Bora was like ninety nine percent sure children need to sleep more than a regular adult; so seeing Hyejoo looking wide awake made her a little bit worried.

“Shouldn’t you be sleeping?”

“It’s already eight in the morning”, Hyejoo’s ‘are you serious’ tone made Bora chuckle, it seemed like the kid had really taken a liking to her if she was already using that tone on her.

Seeing as Bora didn’t tell her to get lost or something similar like others had done with her in the past, Hyejoo took it as a sign to get comfortable, so she laid her head on Bora’s lap. 

It seems like I spent the whole night binge watching this, Bora stretched her arms before changing the show to something more child friendly.

“Why did you change it?” Hyejoo whined as she burrowed further into Bora’s lap.

Bora laughed and ruffled Hyejoo’s hair, pulling another whine from the child.

“You’re like five? You can’t watch the show I was watching”, her eyes pursued Netflix Kids’ catalog, trying to find something suitable for Hyejoo that wouldn’t bore her to death; if only she could contact Handong, she could ask her what Shuxin was into these days.

“I’m almost six and a half!”, Hyejoo lifted herself up from Bora’s lap and crossed her arms in defiance.

Bora chuckled, this kid was something else, “You can’t watch Legends until you’re like…”, she paused dramatically, “...twenty or something.”

Hyejoo started counting with her fingers how many years it would take her to watch whatever Bora was watching, when she ran out of fingers to keep her count, she took one of Bora’s hands and kept going till she reached twenty.

“No fair! That’s like so many years!”, the child pouted and threw her arms up.

Siyeon, who had been watching the exchange from the staircase, decided to intervene before Hyejoo’s stubborn self would escalate the situation.

“Hyejoo, you know the rules.”

Hyejoo dramatically dropped back to Bora’s lap and mumbled, “No TV before breakfast”.

Siyeon raised an eyebrow at Bora, who was watching her with an amused smile on her face, and nodded the kitchen’s way before heading over there; getting the hint Bora turned off the TV and put a hand on Hyejoo’s shoulder.

“C’mon kid, something tells me your mother is not someone to be messed with.”

Groaning, Hyejoo got up from the couch and grabbed the woman’s hand once she had stood up too; thinking that maybe Bora could convince her mother to have something sugary for breakfast instead of their usual healthy food.


The sight of Siyeon hard at work greeted them, it seemed like she was making an omelette with what little she could find in the fridge.

Hyejoo tugged on Bora’s arm and asked her to help her sit on the counter, where she immediately sagged in defeat when she saw her mother making something healthy, her hopes and dreams of maybe having pancakes or some cereal gone as fast as they came.

“We should ask Agent Lee if we could go grocery shopping soon, it seems like they forgot to restock the fridge”, Siyeon said without looking up from her work.

That reminded Bora of something very important.

“Maybe I should ask Agent Lee if she wants to join us! I don’t think the guest house has a kitchen”, not waiting for an answer, Bora headed to the guest house.

The vampire whistled in awe as she took in her surroundings, while from the outside the house didn’t seem to be that big, the sight that greeted her was completely different to what she had expected.

The yard was huge. There were even some fruit trees scattered around, a swing set on one side and a decent sized pool on the other, and right behind it was what seemed to be a tool’s shed and the guest house. 

When she had first thought about Witsec, she had imagined a run down house in the middle of nowhere, not this. At least their time in the program would be a little bearable while living here.

Bora approached the guest house and knocked on the door, as soon as the door opened, a purple travel mug was ed into her hands.

“Something tells me you’re going to need that”, Yubin said before getting out of the guest house and locking the door behind her, a folder held tightly in one hand and a similar travel mug like the one she gave to Bora -a yellow one though- in the other.

Bora eyed the agent with distrust, while it seemed like Yubin was here to help her, she still wasn’t trusting the agent’s intentions. Not after everything they had been through.

“It’s not poisoned”, Yubin rolled her eyes and took a sip from her own mug; and after she swallowed, she discreetly showed the other vampire her teeth.

Oh, Bora thought as she looked at the reddish tint on Yubin’s teeth; without wasting another second, Bora opened her travel mug and started drinking as fast as possible. The taste of blood made her sigh in relief, it had been longer than it should have been since she last fed; another day without blood and things would have started to get ugly.

Or well, uglier than they already were.

“Take it easy”, Yubin put a hand on Bora’s elbow to stop her from drinking too fast, “If you keep going like that, you’re going to peak and fall fast, and you know that’s never pretty for you”.

Bora growled at Yubin’s interference, but as much as it pained her to admit, Yubin was right. If she kept drinking at a stupidly fast pace, she would get a sudden burst of energy for a few minutes and then get knocked out cold for hours while her system processed all that sudden blood intake after being dry for days. 

Cleaning her lips with the back of her hand after Yubin gave her a sign to, Bora put the travel mug down and closed it tightly.

“I’m stopping because I don’t want a blood rush, not because you said so”, Bora glared at Yubin, trying to get her point across. 

“A thank you would have sufficed”, the agent rolled her eyes, “I have a few blood bags in the guest house for you, but we’ll have to think about you having a stock somewhere inside the house, that way you won’t have to rely on me whenever you need to feed”.

“The less I have to interact with you, the better”, Bora crossed her arms in defiance.

“Hey!”, Siyeon yelled at them from one of the kitchen’s windows, “Breakfast is ready!”

With their conversation coming to an end, Bora headed first inside the house, not bothering to check if Yubin was following her.

The agent just sighed, it seemed like this job was just going to get harder if her and Bora didn’t patch things up sometime soon. 


“Agent Lee! I’m glad you’re joining us for breakfast”, Siyeon said as soon as the two other women walked inside.

Bora suddenly remembered she was supposed to ask the agent to have breakfast with them; she looked at the agent with wide eyes and thought loudly to follow along, knowing the other vampire would hear it in her mind.

Yes, thank you for the invitation”, the agent sat on the table opposite Hyejoo, who eyed her weirdly, the child’s face devoid of any feelings.

Seeing her daughter looking weirdly at the agent, a flustered Siyeon quickly said, “Sorry about her, she’s a little bit shy around strangers”.

As if to prove her mother wrong, Hyejoo looked at Bora and said, “I want Bora to sit next to me, mommy”.

Bora smiled mockingly at Yubin, rejoicing in the victory of being liked by Hyejoo even if she was also a stranger.

“It’d be my honor”, she took a seat next to Hyejoo, whose previously impassive face transformed into a smiling one once Bora was next to her.

Siyeon just shook her head, wondering what made the other woman so special to her daughter, as she put a plate with food in front of everyone before taking her seat on the chair opposite to Bora. 

As they ate, Siyeon saw Bora sipping from a purple travel mug that she hadn’t seen in the pantry when she had checked it the previous night. 

Bora saw Siyeon eyeing the travel mug, and before the other woman could question it, she said “Agent Lee gave me a protein shake, since she thought I looked too weak yesterday”, then she whispered behind her hand, “You’re lucky you didn’t get one, it tastes so bad”.

Siyeon giggled at Bora’s remark, side eyeing the agent sitting next to her, who just pretended she hadn’t heard Bora’s words.


Once they were done with breakfast, Agent Lee cleared and put the folder she had been carrying in front of her. 

“As you know, you’re now part of the Witness Protection Program until the criminals we’re after are sentenced and put behind bars. Since protecting you is our priority, a set of ground rules will be established; we’ll do everything in our hands to keep you safe, but you’ll also need to do your part.”

Bora figured that whatever Yubin was going to say next was going to be along the don’t do anything that’ll blow your cover and get yourself killed lines, so she just tuned out. After all, she was almost a century old vampire, she could take care of herself and the little family she had found herself in.

Yubin extending her full hand over her and giving her something snapped her out of her thoughts; the sight of a set of documents with her face on it surprised her. It was weird seeing a picture of herself -with shorter hair that was a different color to the one she was currently sporting- next to a foreign name.

Amongst the set of documents was an ID, a driver’s license, a passport, a debit and credit card, a birth certificate, a work permit, some education degrees, and other official documents, all under the name of Sua Hye.

Sua Hye?”, Bora scoffed as she looked everything over, “Who picked this ridiculous name?”

Knowing Bora hadn’t been paying attention to her, Yubin said, “The kid did”.

Trying to hide her embarrassment, Bora turned to look at Hyejoo and out a hand on her shoulder, “I-I me-mean”, she stuttered, “It’s a, uh, a terrific name! Great job kid!”

Hyejoo just looked confused at Bora’s words, and it took a few seconds, plus Siyeon barely containing her laughter to realize she had been played with.

“Ha.ha.”, she ironically laughed while looking at Yubin.

I knew you weren’t paying attention, the agent projected into her mind.

“So, uh, Agent Lee”, Siyeon interrupted whatever the agent was going to say next.

“You can call me Dami”, the agent gave the mother a soft smile that didn’t go unnoticed by Bora, who could only clench one of her fists under the table at the sight.

Siyeon nervously chuckled, a light pinkish tone adorning her cheeks. “So Dami, I was wondering if Hyejoo was going to be able to go to school or if she had to be homeschooled?”

“Well, the agency has decided to enroll Hyejoo into the local elementary school to not arouse suspicion from the locals. And since we want to keep you all within the same environment, you and Miss Kim will be working at the high school joined to the elementary school”.

“What will we be doing?”, Bora asked.

Even though she had experience teaching teens to dance, it was something that she had hated with her whole being. High schoolers could be down right mean and annoying, that’s why she always taught the adults’ classes.

“Since we want to keep your identities safe, you can’t do anything related to your previous life. That means no accounting gigs for you Miss Lee, and no dancing for you Miss Kim”.

At those words, Bora would have had a heart attack if she only had a functioning one and wasn’t technically dead. Dancing was basically her whole life, the thing that kept her going as the years passed her by; and while she could still dance inside the house, it wasn’t the same feeling as dancing in a studio or on a stage, there was no way in hell she couldn’t dance like she wanted to while stuck in this hell.

Seeing Bora was about to protest, Yubin immediately interjected, “It’s for your own safety, the criminals we’re after will surely look all of you up and try to find you based on your habits.”

Maybe I should have thought better before agreeing to this, Bora thought to herself. Maybe if this weird feeling of protectiveness she felt over Siyeon and Hyejoo wasn’t messing with her head, she would have thought about a better solution for their predicament.

“That being said, Miss Lee you’re going to be the high school’s new music teacher and Miss Kim you’re the new secretary.”

“But”, Siyeon protested, “I don’t sing, there’s no way I can be the music teacher!”

The agent just raised an eyebrow, “Even if you try to deny it, the agency knows everything Miss Lee, they wouldn’t have given you something that could blow your cover up”.

She didn’t know if she was imagining it, but Bora swore Siyeon was getting paler by the minute since she heard her job title, that and the mother’s rapidly beating heart were a sign that being the music teacher was something the woman definitely dreaded.

Trying to distract the other woman, Bora exaggeratedly whined, “A secretary? Why do I get the most. boring. job. ever!”.

It seemed like Bora’s pout and her dramatic whining had successfully distracted Siyeon, who snorted at the other’s antics.

“It’s something that’ll give you a little freedom to check on Hyejoo over in the elementary school”, Yubin pointed out. “Moving on, we gave you each a credit card so you can buy whatever you need until you get your first paycheck. Whatever you earn will get deposited into your joint savings account and that’s what you’ll use to pay for your living expenses, the credit card will be left for emergency use only.”

While Siyeon looked over the documents in front of her as the agent went more into detail over the rules, Bora rested her head in one hand and stared at her.

There was something about Siyeon that she just couldn’t exactly point out, the woman was absolutely gorgeous that’s for sure, but something about the way she behaved puzzled Bora.

She had met a lot of beautiful women in her lifetime, but none had ever been like Lee Siyeon. The other women she had met craved the attention they got with their looks, and while some of them had been rather introverted, they were still aware of the effect they had on people and relished on it.

But Lee Siyeon? She was definitely something else. For one, the other woman seemed to make herself smaller, like she wanted to be invisible to the world, there was also the fact that she seemed too young to be a single mother; Bora wondered where the kid’s father was, and if he had anything to do with Hyejoo’s wariness with strangers and Siyeon’s closed off vibes. 

“...once we get all of you makeovers and go shopping, you’ll have to start introducing yourselves to your neighbors and establishing yourselves as a family and part of the community.”

A family?, that caught Bora’s attention. She discreetly peaked at Siyeon’s documents in front of her, seeing both Siyeon’s and Hyejoo’s new file upside down faces with what would be their new looks, and right next to them she saw their new names: Monica and Olivia Hye.

Oh, we’re sisters, I guess?, Bora thought to herself as she tried to read Siyeon’s file as best as she could upside down. 

(There was something that rubbed her wrong about being seen as sisters, but that was something Bora refused to unpack right now.)

Agent Lee’s chuckle got their attention.

Bora, you should really stop zoning out as much as you do, Yubin’s mocking voice sounded in the back of her mind.

“Uh, I’m guessing I’m the older sister?”, Bora asked and instantly regretted it when Siyeon looked at her like she had grown two heads.

Confused at the other’s statement, Siyeon asked the agent next to her, “I thought Agent Kim said we were going to be wives?”

“Oh, you are”, the agent tried to contain her smirk when she saw realization dawn into Bora’s eyes; she then gave each woman an engagement and a wedding ring. 

Wives?”, Bora whispered as she looked over the gold rings nestled in her hand.

The last thought running through her mind before she passed out from shock was that she really should have paid attention to Agent Kim back in the office and to Yubin a while ago, the rings falling out of her hands as she fell from her chair.


title taken from: gum - moose blood
thank you all for liking this fic so far, i hope you'll keep on liking what i've in store for this fic.

you can also find me on tw: @anothershipper
cc:/anothershipper

also, sorry for any mistakes this has been proofread like once (and written while i was in a trance haha) but english aint my first language u.u