better run, better run, outrun my gun

let's play pretend, let's act like it comes naturally (we look happy in our family portrait)

Today was definitely not Bora’s day. 

It seemed like the universe was conspiring against her or karma was finally getting back at her.   

From the moment she woke up with the sun filling her room with light, everything started to go downhill: her alarm never rang so she was running late for work, her toaster exploded as soon as she plugged it in, the milk in her coffee was spoiled so she had to pour a seemingly perfect cup of a nearly emptied Ospina Coffe box down the drain and, since she couldn’t function without coffee, ended up on a long line in Starbucks where she couldn’t buy her much needed cup of coffee since a stranger tripped and dumped their Caramel Snickerdoodle Macchiato all over her.

Once she made it (barely on time) to the dance studio, her boss Seulgi didn’t give her any chance to change since she needed Bora to cover Momo’s class, as the woman had a family emergency.

Family emergency my , Bora bitterly thought as she walked into the room with a fake smile in place, if her instastories are any indication, that partied a little too hard yesterday.

Even though Bora had started the class in a bad mood, she felt the bad taste her morning had left her vanish with every beat her body matched. 

Maybe today won’t be so bad afterall , she thought with a smile as she watched the students match her movements with enthusiasm.


“So I am in like...”, the woman in front drawled out her words before pausing to pop her gum, “...a bread and water diet only, it has done wonders to my figure.”

This is the last time I’m letting anyone set me up on a blind date , Bora’s fist clenched under the table.

Bora cursed her luck (and Seulgi, who convinced her to go on this stupid blind date), her day had seemingly gotten better after covering Momo’s class and her own that followed throughout the day, all Bora wanted was to get home and soak on her bathtub and enjoy a glass of wine while folklore played in the background.

But then stupid Seulgi had to remind her of the blind date she had set her on with one of her wife’s coworkers.

To be honest, Bora was this close to canceling, and it must have shown in her face since Seulgi had to threaten her with cleaning the dance rooms for a month -which she could have handled- after the teen groups were done.

(“You also have to be on your best behavior”, Seulgi warned her after Bora had changed into some nice clothes she had lent her, “Ara is kind of Joohyun’s boss’s niece”.

“Why would Joohyun set me with her then?”

“The girl has been whining about wanting a girlfriend for months and his uncle is tired of it, so he asked Joohyun to set her up with one of her... nicest friends”, Seulgi pushed Bora out of the studio, “and since none where available, we had to ask you.”

Before Bora could say something back, Seulgi had already locked the studio’s door and waved cheekily at her from the inside.) 

And that she couldn’t handle, Bora shuddered just thinking about the smell and the sweaty floors the teens left behind after Taemin’s classes.

“Do you think this picture matches my instagram feed?”, a phone was suddenly shoved in her face with no warning, “I’m trying some tips my life coach gave me, that are sure to boost the energy around me”.

I don’t care, Bora wanted to say, but the thought of cleaning after the teens classes kept her on her best behavior, no matter how much she wanted to strangle the woman in front of her. 

And not in a fun way ).

Ara’s focus returned to her phone, “While you’re super hot, you’re also kinda boring so I think I’m gonna go? It’s not you, it’s me”, she stood up from her place and signaled the waiter for the check. “Apparently our signs are not compatible, my life coach says that even though our love could be something, in the end we’ll end up burning up in flames, and I’m not into that.

Before Bora could even process what was said, Ara had already kissed her cheek and started walking backwards to the exit.

“Goodbye, my almost lover”, where Ara’s last words before she vanished from Bora’s sight.

A waiter left the check on her table, and as Bora looked at the total of $895 -since apparently “only bread and water diet” Ara had ordered a lobster, breadsticks, and a bottle of red wine to go - the threads of good mood that she was clinging to vanished.

to: seulbear
Kang Seulgi
I am going to kill you!!!!!

from: seulbear
new phone who dis


If that disaster date wasn’t enough, Bora had the brilliant idea to walk home in an attempt to de-stress.

(Which, considering how her day had gone stupidly wrong from the moment she woke up, was the worst decision she could have taken.)

Her mind was coming up with various painful scenarios of how she could get back at Seulgi when her heel snapped in half; so now she had to wobble down the road while she tried to find a store where she could buy glue to fix it.

Stupid day of hell, is this payback for what happened during Grandpa’s 250th? , so immersed was Bora in her thoughts that she had failed to notice the way she had been headed.

The previously bustling and loud streets gave way to a barely lit road; the empty streets carried an eerily and creepy feeling, that Bora would have noticed if she had been paying attention.

The vibration coming from her purse made her stop and while she took her phone out she finally realized how lonely and dark the streets around her were, it seemed like a ghost town and from experience she knew this kind of places were bad news.

Phone in hand, she took in her surroundings and tried to find the way she came from, but everything looked the same all around her.

From afar she saw a small figure standing near a barely lit alleway.

Maybe they can help me, as she approached she noticed the small figure seemed to be a trembling child holding a teddy bear tightly in her hands. The child’s gaze seemed to be focused on whatever was in that alleway.

With every step she took, an unsettling feeling overtook her; which she should have taken as a warning since her vampy senses (as Minji liked to call them) tingled in an unusual way.

(Had she not been so focused on the child, Bora would have noticed that what she was feeling was similar to what Handong had described she had felt when they had found Minji bleeding out all those years ago).

Bora was near the girl when a gunshot was heard, the girl whimpered and let go of the bear.

Time froze for a second for Bora, but it sped up as she heard a buff voice yell “ Get that little girl ” in the distance. 

In any other situation, Bora would have probably thought twice about what she was about to do; but the heavy sound of nearing footsteps made her act instantly; she let go of her things and ran as fast as her powers let her towards the girl.

Bora had forgotten about the broken heel though, so she stumbled right in front of the child; in any other circumstances she would have taken on the threat, but the child’s whimpers and the sight of two burly men in red coats coming right at them -and the body bleeding out in the alley- spurred her into action.

She took the girl into her arms and ran as fast as (humanly possible) she could with a broken heel, which she finally discarded a couple of steps in. The girl was trembling in her arms and extending a hand towards her fallen teddy bear.

Bora didn’t have to look back to know the men were gaining on her, she ran through the dark streets and thanks to her superior vision she spotted what seemed to be a good hiding place: a small square with stores under construction.

She entered the first store she could and hid herself and the girl behind some pillars and construction materials.

Big brown eyes full of tears met hers; Bora put a finger in front of her lips as a signal to keep quiet, she needed to be sure the men wouldn’t find them before anything else happened. 

I should call the police , Bora thought and reached for her purse. , I dropped everything back there.

Arms wrapping around her and a head burying into her neck stopped her train of thought.

It wasn’t an unfamiliar feeling, since Bora was used to Shuxin doing the same thing when she was tired, scared or sad; but the fact that it was coming from a stranger while they were escaping some bad men gave her pause.

“Look over there!”, a voice was heard from afar.“They couldn’t have gone far!”

The girl in her arms tensed, so Bora ran her hands up and down her back in an attempt to calm her down.

As the men’s voice started to sound nearer and nearer, Bora’s mind started running wild with possible escape plans. 

I could leave the girl here and lead them through a wild chase before ending their miserable lives, the memory of their red coats have her pause, what if they are armed and ready for me? If I leave, this girl wouldn’t have a fighting chance, her eyes ran over their hideout place, searching for another way out.

Her planning came to a halt when the sound of a siren carried down the street.

Some swear words were heard followed by the sound of retreating footsteps, and from the corner of her eye Bora saw the street be painted by red and blue hues.

Even though it seemed like the men were gone, Bora refused to move from their place.

“Is someone there?” a voice called out from outside the store and a light started shining outside the place. 

“The report says the alarm was activated from store D”, a set of footsteps approached. 

“Police!” a yell was heard before their hidden place was lit with several flashlights, Bora was momentarily blinded and it took a few tries before her eyes could focus on the people in uniform in front of them.

A small woman in uniform radioed in, “We found a woman and a child huddling inside store D, they match the description given by the anonymous tip. The other suspects are nowhere to be seen”.

“Ma’am, we’ll take you and your child to the station.” 

Bora wanted to say that the child in her arms wasn’t hers, but as soon as she opened no words came out and her eyes rolled back, maybe it was the stress of this horrible day finally piling up that made her pass out for a few seconds.

It wasn’t the shouts of the officers calling for the paramedics that brought her back, but a little hand pulling on hers.

Once she got her bearings, ignoring the officers' helping hands, Bora stood up with the girl in her arms and followed the rest outside; she couldn’t explain exactly why but there was something inside of her telling her to protect the child, whatever it took.

The trip to the station passed in a blur and before Bora knew it they were being interrogated about what had happened that night and the men responsible for the woman dying in the alleyway where their things had been found.

Once the officers had found out the child wasn’t Bora’s, they had tried to pry her off her arms but the girl screamed as soon as anyone else touched her and buried herself deeper into Bora, who had taken to glaring at anyone that tried to take the girl away from her arms.

Hours had passed before they could locate the child’s mother -who was now sleeping on her lap-, and they had been moved to the chief’s office and told to wait for further instructions there. 

I don’t think this day could get any worse, Bora hoped the woman could show up soon so they could get on with their lives and forget about this horrible ordeal.

While Bora fantasized about that bottle of that 2008 Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Spätlese Riesling she had been saving for a special occasion, a woman that seemed to be in the edge of having a breakdown showed up on the doorway and sobbed when her eyes settled on the child.

The sound woke the child up, who rubbed her eyes and yelled “Mommy!” before launching herself into her mother’s arms.

Bora felt a thug on her heartstrings at the tearful reunion, her eyes connected with the child’s mother and the world seemed to stop on its axis.

Before either of them could say anything, the police chief walked into the room with a tall intimidating woman.

“This is FBI Agent Kim Sojung.”, the man walked around his desk and took a seat, “She’s gonna be the agent in charge of the investigation.”

“In-investigation?”, the child’s mother tried to seem strong but the worry was evident in her voice.

The same instinct that made Bora want to protect the child seemed to extend to the child’s mother, but before she could think about it any further the agent’s words brought her back to the room.

“...we would have to put you under witness protection until the investigation and trial are over”.

“ WHAT?! ?”

 


this ended up being longer than what i was expecting lmfao
thank you all for liking this fic so far, i hope you'll keep on liking what i've in store for this fic.

you can also find me on tw: @anothershipper
cc:/anothershipper

btw i know i at updating but imma try my best to be more constant. tbh before joining kpop stan twitter i had written 0 fics in years cause i had lost all motivation and confidence in my work, but kpop gave it back to me haha
please bear with me while i try to get back into this rodea called writing fanfiction uwu
also, sorry for any mistakes this has been proofread like once (and written while i was in a trance haha) but english aint my first language u.u

(yes, i did kinda copy the note from my other fic lol)