Good Intentions

Innocent Intentions

This was kind of the last place you wanted to be. You didn’t have anywhere else to be and the idea of coming up with an excuse to not be here never crossed your mind.

It wasn’t like you weren’t happy for your friend; she was ecstatic to be going out on a date, so you were supportive like a good friend was supposed to be. Somewhat. It was kind of hard to be supportive when you didn’t agree with the method that in which she gained said date.

“Who is this guy again?” you asked, sitting up on Kendall’s bed after staring at the ceiling for the last hour while she put together her hair and make-up.

Checking the hair that was currently wrapped around the curling iron, Kendall rolled her eyes. “Do you selectively erase information that I’ve told you a hundred times? His name is Tao. He’s in our graduating year.”

Wyatt snorted from his spot in Kendall’s papasan chair. “With the things I’ve heard about this guy, Ken, I think you should cancel.”

“I am not canceling,” she snapped as she moved on to a new section of hair. “He’s too hot to ditch.”

You closed your eyes, massaging your temples with your fingertips. “I’m sorry. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that you met this guy at a bar and immediately agreed to go out on a date with him?”

“Yeah, why not?” Putting the curler down, Kendall swiveled in her chair to face you. “It’s our last year of college and I think we’re entitled for a little bit of fun before graduation.”

“What if he’s a serial killer?” you lifted your hands, palms facing up, as if that suggestion was actually a strong possibility.

“He’s not,” Wyatt intervened. “I know this guy. But he is a dog.”

You frowned. “What?”

That got you a heavy sigh. You weren’t sure why Wyatt was being so dramatic. Deep down, he loved the fact that he was given the opportunity to dish out the drama he had filed away in his head.

“That boy is a down right mutt.” Wyatt adjusted his position in the chair before continuing, “He’s slept with at least half of the volleyball and who knows how many sorority sisters. And none of them stick around for long. I’d say any girl he gets with last one – two weeks tops and then he’s on to the next one.”

“Everyone knows this and girls still go out with him?” you sneered. That was just setting yourself up for failure. You didn’t care how pretty a guy’s face was, if he was a jerk who got bored of girls so easily, then you wanted nothing to do with him. How could someone be so heartless?

“Trust me, (y/n),” Kendall turned back to the mirror, dabbing at her eyelid to really smudge in the shadow, “if you saw this guy, you would understand. He just oozes iness; not to mention charming to the max.”

“Hot or not, I wouldn’t touch that with a ten-foot pole,” Wyatt insisted. “He doesn’t ooze , he oozes player. No, thank you. I prefer my guys to actually have a heart. Cold tin men aren’t my type.”

Kendall rolled her eyes. “You are so judgmental.”

Before Wyatt could let out one of his signature sassy comments, Kendall’s phone chimed. As soon as she saw the screen, she squealed, jumping up from her chair and hurrying to slip on her heels.

“He’s here, he’s here, oh my god!” she ranted excitedly. Just as she hit her bedroom door, she turned and saluted you and Wyatt. “See you later, losers!”

You simply waived goodbye to her as she left. It wasn’t until the front door was closed that you turned to Wyatt, “You agree with me that her going on this date is a horrible idea, right?”

Wyatt smirked at you. “Yeah, I do. But I think our reasoning for it are two completely different spheres.”

“Why do you say that?” You were sure whatever Wyatt was about to say was going to rub you the wrong way, so you picked up your still somewhat full glass of water and headed for the kitchen.

Quick to follow you, Wyatt hopped up out of the chair and stayed close on your heels.

I’m concerned because I know this guy’s reputation,” he explained over the ice maker on the fridge pouring into your cup. “You simply think she shouldn’t go out on a date at all.”

“That’s a bold assumption.” Taking a sip of water, you turned around and leaned up against the fridge. “I am genuinely concerned about her.”

“I never said that you weren’t,” he countered. “But your genuine concern comes from some deep rooted hatred of men.”

You scoffed. “I do not hate men. I’m friends with you, aren’t I?”

“Like I count.”

Okay… he had a slight point.

“I still don’t hate all men,” you argued. “I just happen to know that there is a huge portion of college boys that treat the girls they date like crap and it’s not worth it to me.”

Leaning his elbow on the counter, Wyatt plopped his chin into his palm. “Oh, girl. What horrible member of my burned you so badly?”

You flicked his forehead, yearning a loud yelp from him. “No one burned me. I’ve just been witness to way too many games to be fooled by the players.”

“So sour.” Wyatt tapped his chin. “Maybe if you went on a date, you wouldn’t be so bitter about the idea?”

“I do not need a guy to be happy.” You couldn’t even believe you were having this conversation with your friend who always told you to stand firm in who you are. “I am happy. I’m very pleased with the direction my life is going. I don’t have any plans to change that in the impending future.”

“And I agree with that whole heartedly,” Wyatt nodded. “I practically sell t-shirts with that motto. All I’m saying is that you shouldn’t knock someone who might come along. And that Kendall’s a little right. Some fun our last semester wouldn’t hurt.”

You threw your hands up in the air. “Fine! I’ll try to keep an open mind!”

Practically ignoring your declaration, Wyatt pursed his lips. His eyes were getting that terrifying look that told you an idea was brewing in that scary brain of his. You’d seen it one too many times to think anything good or logical was about to come from his mouth.

“What are you thinking about so hard?” you asked cautiously. If you tried to ignore your friend, he’d just keep sighing or clicking his tongue like a bored puppy until you finally acknowledged him.

“I was thinking about what you said in regards to watching the games and ignoring the players.” Straightening up, Wyatt started to head for his shoes located by the front door. “Admittedly, we’re both worried about Kendall’s date, so why don’t we just go keep an eye on them?”

Your jaw dropped. “You want to go spy on Kendall? Do you realize that if we’re spotted, she will kill us?”

“I’m highly aware of that fact.” Wyatt didn’t seem the least bit worried. Of course he didn’t. Nothing scared him.

Oh, you wanted to try and talk Wyatt out of this idiotic idea any way you could, but nothing that you knew would win him over came to fruition. And… well, you were kind of curious about this Tao character and what made him so “irresistible”.

Holding up a finger, you warned, “If we’re spotted, I’m telling Kendall you blackmailed me and dragged me along in this fiasco of a plan, got it?”

Wyatt rolled his eyes as pulled on his jacket. “You are so dramatic. Just come on. Kendall told me this morning which restaurant the dog is taking her to.”

You chuckled. “Are you just going just refer to him as ‘the dog’ from now on?”

“Do you think if I held out a biscuit, he lie down and roll over?”

That comment did not deserve any response.

Even as you slid into Wyatt’s car, you debated on whether or not you should bail. To you, this fell into the territory of invading privacy and telling Kendall that you didn’t trust her make her own decisions. But something about this Tao piqued your interest and that kept you from running away before Wyatt could catch you. It wasn’t any sort of interest that veered into the lane of romance or attraction. More so, you were just intrigued by what kind of guy could build up a reputation like that and still get girls to trot after him.

Wyatt pulled up at The Hurricane, a beach-themed bar and grill that was a popular starting point for most of the university students before they got going on their until-three a.m. binges. With a firm grip on Wyatt’s hand, you let him lead the way into the restaurant. It was open seating tonight, giving you the ultimate cover. You kept your face hidden anyway, hoping that you didn’t accidentally trip or run into a waiter and bring the attention of the entire room onto you like in the movies.

By a miracle, you made it to the table Wyatt had zoned in on without any sort of incident. However, even after taking a seat, you didn’t dare look up, keeping your eyes glued to the laminated menu in front of you.

“We’re not exactly here to eat, remember?” he said as he tapped on the menu.

“We’re taking up seats so we might as well,” you countered.

“No, because if they suddenly leave then we have to as well.”

“We’re stalking them the whole night?”

Wyatt threw you a look. “If need be, yes.”

Grumbling, you threw down the menu.

“Oh, he is such a smoozer,” Wyatt whispered harshly.

Following his line of sight, you finally looked over at the couple.

Kendall’s back was to you, so all you saw of her was her hair and the occasional profile. Tao, however… you got a very good look at him.

And, okay, you got it. He was handsome – not even that conventional handsome that was all too common and boring, but an intriguing sort. The kind that made you double take just make sure you were actually seeing what your eyes were telling you. His tanned skin seemed to glow under the high lighting and there was something about the way he smiled-

No, (y/n)!

You curled your hand into a fist on the table to keep from slapping yourself. Not only was this guy a notorious playboy, he was on a date with Kendall, your best friend. Get a grip on yourself.

Something funny was going on with your heart and you didn’t like it one bit. Since when did it beat so fast for a decent face? Maybe something else was going on and the timing was just coincidence? Maybe you should go to the hospital. At least that would get you out of this mess.

For most of their dinner (and your drinks since one of the waitresses told you and Wyatt that you either had to order something or be forced to leave), everything seemed to be going fine. Kendall was laughing and genuinely looked like she was having a good time. Tao treated her with nothing less than respect.

Just as they were finishing desert, Wyatt sighed. “Okay. I’m bored. Let’s get out of here.”

Finally.

There were absolutely no arguments from you as you jumped up out of your seat, ready to head for the door. Just before you could step outside, you glanced behind towards Tao and Kendall one more time and instantly regretted it.

Tao was staring at you, eyebrows pulled together so tightly only a harsh line separated them. His mouth was hanging open slightly. Seeing the change in her date, Kendall turned in her chair just in time to see you duck out of the restaurant.

Perfect. Just perfect.

Back in the car, you gave Wyatt a heads up about Kendall spotting you. He didn’t seem that worried, but even as he dropped you off at your house and you goodbye, you were dreading the guillotine that would waiting for you tomorrow.

Your parents were watching TV when you stepped into the living room from the dropping temperature outside. On the screen was just another sitcom about a dysfunctional group of friends, but it caught your attention anyway, making you round the couch and take the empty spot next to your mother.

“Hey, sweetie,” your father greeted. “How was your day?”

You shrugged. “It was fine. How was yours?”

“Pretty good.” Your dad was smiling so that must have meant it was a very good day at the office.

“Kendall’s date was tonight, right?” your mother asked. “How did that go?”

You lifted your shoulders and dropped them, trying to act as nonchalant as possible. “Yeah, it was. And I don’t know. I haven’t heard from her. I’m sure she’s enjoying herself, though.”

Tao’s face crept up in your mind; the way he was laughing, the way his striking blonde hair matched his confident smirk perfectly, the way he-

Smack!

This time, you couldn’t stop from slapping yourself. Both of your parents looked at you like you’d gone temporarily insane.

Pointing to your stinging cheek, you chuckled, “I thought I felt a bug.” They still stared at you without changing their expression, so you hopped up off the couch. “I’m going to get ready for bed. I’m exhausted.” You even threw in a fake yawn and stretched for good measure.

“Okay,” your mother said warily. “Good night.”

You nearly ran up the stairs, hurrying to lock yourself away and just be alone.

Getting your pajamas on turned into a slow affair. You got distracted by little things in between picking out a clean shirt and pair of shorts; from poking and pulling at your face in the mirror to picking a simple song out on your phone to drown out the silence.

Finally, you considered yourself dressed for bed and quickly brushed your teeth in the bathroom before hustling back across the hall and jumping between the covers. The act of actually falling asleep turned into an ordeal within itself.

No matter which way you turned it, flipped it, or spun it around, you couldn’t make heads or tails of why in the world you would be remotely interested that kind of guy. You up shot in bed.

You were not interested!

A momentary lapse of reason. That’s all it was. You were just in a little shock because he didn’t fit the typical frat boy stereotype you’d been envisioning, the kind that Kendall usually went for. Those guys wore t-shirts with the sleeves cut off, backwards hats, and socks with Nike sandals. While you couldn’t really understand the appeal of those kinds of guys, you didn’t say much to Kendall because, hey, everyone had a type.

If you had to pin down your own kind, you could say that it was the artistic kind of guy. Sensitive, sweet, strumming a guitar mindlessly as he searched for the right tune to go with his lyrics. Someone who wore a genuine smile, not a smirk that made you roll your eyes. Someone who looked at you with soft eyes, held you gently, closely. You needed someone serious, who would take your relationship serious, and not be afraid to be honest. You wanted vulnerability, but – according to your own experience – no one did that anymore.

Falling back down on the bed, you sighed. If there was one thing you knew for sure it was that Tao was not the vulnerable kind.  

Vrrmm. Vrrmm. Vrrmm.

Don’t answer it. Don’t answer it.

When your phone stopped vibrating against your night stand, you sighed in relief. You knew exactly who was calling and, honestly, you didn’t want to deal with that at the moment.

Vrrmm. Vrrmm. Vrrmm.

Kendall was not going to give up.

Whimpering, you managed to get yourself back up into a sitting position while grabbing your phone. After taking a deep breath, you swiped the little green icon and answered the call.

“Hey….”

Alright.” Kendall’s voice was walking a fine line between snapping and remaining calm. You were so in for it. “I will give you one chance to explain yourself.”

“It was all Wyatt’s idea!” you blurted out. How loyal you were.

No, , Sherlock. You’re not brave enough to suggest that on your own.”

As much of a stinger that one was, you decided to let it slide given the circumstances. “We were just a little concerned. After seeing that everything was fine, we left. We didn’t do anything.”

Are you sure you didn’t do anything?” Kendall asked in a very accusing voice.

“Yeah, I’m positive,” you argued. “We sat a few tables away, had a drink, saw that you were fine and left. Why?”

Kendall huffed. “Because after you guys left, he just ended the date.

Wait. What? “What do you mean he just ended the date?”

I mean he paid the check right after you guys left, dropped me off at home, and just left,” she explained. “So something happened. Did Wyatt say anything? Did he make any sort of face at Tao?

“No,” you insisted. “I swear, Wyatt didn’t do anything, but complain to me about how boring the stakeout was. I’m sorry, Kendall. I have no idea what happened.”

A high pitched whine screeched in your ear from the speaker on your phone. “He was so cute. And funny. I thought we were having a good time!

“I’m really sorry, Kendall. Maybe something just came up and he’ll make it up to you?”

You actually did feel bad for your friend. Kendall had been looking forward to this all week and to have her night end just like that…. You felt partially responsible that it didn’t go the way she wanted it to. Why it was kind of your fault, you didn’t know. You just felt like it was.

After another a five minutes of Kendall ranting on about her date, she finally let you go. A little twinge of guilt still sat in your stomach as you laid down and closed your eyes. That is, until a stupid, blonde haired boy’s face floated behind your eyelids. And then you snapped your eyes open.

With a groan, you grabbed an extra pillow and shoved it over your face in a sad attempt to squish away the sight.

It didn’t work and you hoped that by the time you woke up the next day, you would be back to your normal self.