Chapter 9

The Moon Looks Beautiful Tonight

 

TIFFANY


 

We’re currently on our way to drop Wendy and Yeri to their university. Oh gods, I haven’t driven this old four wheeler for a long time.

It’s their first day at school. I don’t know how Seulgi did the paper works, but I think she pulled some strings with the other members of the legion and got these two accepted in here. 

 

“You guys got everything you need? We better hurry, your class starts in 10 minutes. You guys rush to your classes and I’ll take care of your things. I’ll bring them to your dorms.”

 

“Thanks, Tiffany unnie. If only this brat right here woke up early, we wouldn’t be this late.”

 

“I said I’m sorry, okay?! I was having a really good dream when you interrupted! And we’re not yet late, didn’t you hear Tiffany unnie? She said we have 10, well, 9 more minutes.” 

 

As soon as we reached the entrance, the two quickly bid goodbye and ran through the gates.

 

“Hm. Why do I have a bad feeling about this?” 

 

Why am I even worrying? Welp. Wendy’s old enough to live on her own anyway. She can take care of Yeri just fine. Guess I should keep moving. 

 

I watched until the two disappeared from sight, and then got their bags out of the car, taking all their things to their dorm.  









 

WENDY

 

Yeri and I got separated as soon as we reached the corridors. We don’t have the same class anyway. We went off to find our own rooms. I was about to go with Yeri and search for her lecture room first, but she insisted she can do it on her own. 

Something’s weird about that girl these days....

Five more minutes, and here I am still wandering around. Where the hell is N329 anyway? What university labels their rooms like this? Aish. 

 

As I was searching for my room, I got lost and found myself in a gymnasium. A lot of boys and girls around my age are there, all buzzing about some beautiful girl. I roamed around, hoping I could ask anyone where N329 was, but what I found was the girl everyone in the gym was probably talking about.

 

A really beautiful girl is at the far end of the gym, wearing a gray shirt, leather jeans, and sneakers. Her hair tied up in a high ponytail. Her face was full of concentration- so focused on the target board 20 m away. 

 

I didn’t even realize my feet brought me a little bit closer to her. I watched as this girl drew the last arrow from her quiver, fixed it at her bow, and aimed. 

 

This girl looks so familiar tho. Where have I seen her before?

 

As the girl shoots the arrow, I swear I saw her look directly at me, and winked. 

 

Wow, first day at school, and I have someone flirting at me already. 

 

No, no wait. I now remember why she looks so familiar. 

 

Bullseye. 

 

“Good morning, Wendy Son.”

 

1...2...5. Five seconds of staring contest with this girl, before the bell rang, and I was forced to break eye contact. 

 

The girl I’ve been seeing in my dreams. 

 

“That’s North wing, third floor, room number 29 by the way. I’ll see you after class.”

 

N329?

 

“Wa-wait who-”

 

Where’d she go?








 

-----------Hours later, after class---------

 

This girl finally introduced herself. We’re currently at the school’s library, where surprisingly, not a lot of students can be seen after class. She says she’s Artemis, like literally the goddess of the hunt. The moon. The wild? Although her ID says Bae Joohyun. 

 

Why am I not surprised? Well, I live with demigods, how can I be surprised with Artemis being actually in front of me? 

 

No, just kidding. I’m trying to be as calm as possible, because oh my gosh. This girl. The one that has been constantly appearing in my dreams, was Artemis.

 

“So, lady Artemis, may I ask, why do you want to see me and my sister?” It was Yeri who finally asked the question I’ve been dying to ask since early this morning. 

 

“ I’m here to offer you something.”

 

“Yes…?”

 

“Would you two love to join the hunt? Be one of my huntresses?”

 

“Wow.” - Yeri.

 

“Why?” I ask. I think this is the question that summarizes my life so far. 

 

“It’s either me or my lieutenant that wanders around to find maidens who have talent, and is fit enough to join my hunt. It comes with perks you know. You’ll be immortal. You’ll never age. But, you have to swear off love. Men, I mean.” 

 

Suddenly, I was reminded of the person who practically raised me. How I came to know of her story. How she was once an Amazon, but one day decided she just wanted to be normal. How she once was always involved with out-of- this-world conflicts, and finally how she grew tired of it all and she wanted a way out. 

 

After thinking carefully, weighing my options, the pros and cons of my decision, I finally made up my mind. I looked at Artemis sitting opposite me and Yeri, and gave her my answer.

 

“I’m sorry, lady Artemis… but I have to decline.”

 

What is that look? Is she actually sad I turned down her offer?

 

“I see… just out of curiosity, may I ask why?”

 

“Taeyeon… she… she wanted us to have as normal a life as possible. She wanted to keep us away from the chaos in… well, your world. And honestly… just… just thinking about being immortal makes me feel scared.”

 

“Scared?”

 

“Yes… my friends, my family… I can’t bear to watch them grow old, become frail, pass away, while I’ll just be here, still as young as 27.” 

 

“I see, well-”

 

“Sorry to interrupt my lady, but don’t look so sad. You didn’t fail to have a new recruit.” I say, as I look at Yeri with the kindest smile I may have given her all my life.

 

I now understand why she was asking all those questions before. Why she’s been acting kind of weird but in a good way weird these past few days. She knows there’s something more to life, and there’s a lot more she can do. She always wants to be something, something other than ordinary. And believe it or not, I support her for whatever she decides to be. 

 

“Yeri would like to join the hunt.”

 

Artemis turns to Yeri, a smile on her face. “Are you sure?”

 

Yeri gives me a hug, and turns to Artemis, then nods.

 

“Very well, repeat after me.”

 

“I pledge myself to the goddess Artemis, turn my back on the company of men, accept eternal maidenhood, and join the Hunt.”

 

Yeri repeated what Artemis said.

 

“I accept your pledge. Welcome to the Hunt, Kim Yerim.”

 

Okay, I may have shed some tears. I just realized this is the first time me and Yeri would be apart. And I may not see her for a long time. 

 

Looking at my younger sister, nothing much has changed after her pledge, but her skin looks like it’s glowing. 

 

Taeyeon eomma. Yeri grew up well, didn’t she? 

 

And with one last hug to my sister, she went with Artemis, and then... after a small flash of silver light, they were gone. And I have a feeling I would not be meeting either one of them for a very long time...

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uhmm... Hi. Late update, I know, but after the last update, work came running for my and I have to... well.

Anyways, thank you to anyone who enjoys reading this :D Writing actually is one of my ways to destress, and one night decided to make another aff account and upload my piled up fics here, and share it with you hehehe

Keep safe everyone! Wear your masks, practice social distancing and always sanitize!