2) The Window

A little push

Unnie! Come here quick I need your help.” Yonghee slowly got off her bed and walked to her sister’s room. She could hear hear the blonde grunting as she tried to push her bedroom window down. It was day two of that window being stuck open. However, Yongsun said it was fine. Yonghee knew this was a lie. The weather was getting cold and even a hot blooded Kim couldn’t withstand the cold all night.

“Ahhhhgggg” the youngest grunted with a push. “Please help me unnie we can do this!” The eldest just watched her determined sister push more and more with no success.

“I’m going to call a repairman. This has gone too far” but the youngest stubbornly kept pushing. Yonghee got out her phone and searched the nearest repairman. She dialed the number

“Moon’s Manual Maintenance what can I do for you” said the womanly voice on the phone

“ Yes I have a window that’s stuck and won’t go down. Is this something you can do?”

“Of course, I can fix anything. Where do you live?” Yonghee gave the woman her address and waited for her to give a time of arrival estimate.

“You live in apartment 619 in Seoul Towers?”

“Yes”

“I’ll be there in 1 minute if that work’s for you?”

“I doubt you’ll come that quickly but yes anytime soon is fine”

“Alright. See you soon” The oldest hung up the phone and returned to her sister’s room where the girl was still in a battle with the window.

 

Ring ring sounded the door bell. Yonghee has a shocked expression. There is no way she got here in less than a minute she thought. Yonghee went to the door and opened it. The slim woman was wearing baggy clothes, had her black hair tied back in a ponytail, gold framed glasses. Her face slightly looked like a hamsters because of then goofy grin she was giving.

“ Hello, I’m Byuli from Moon’s Maintenance. I told you I’d be here in a minute.” The woman stood there with a great big grin like she accomplished something amazing. Yonghee could only respond with “how?”

She chucked “I actually live two doors down from you in 617. I just moved in a few days ago. So I am sorry I look a little unprofessional.” The cute woman rubbed her hand behind her neck. “So where is this window?”

“Ahh follow me.” They walked to Yong’s room where the girl was still struggling.

“Here you are. My sister has been trying for awhile now with not success”

Turning around to defend herself Yong replied “Hey I got it to move I swe…….” The blonde looked at the woman next to her sister. This woman had to be handcrafted by the gods and Yongsun was trapped in her gaze. Byuli seems just as smitten. So, Yonghee just leaned back and watched the show unfold.

“Hi I’m Byuli, I’m here to fix your broken window” she said with a soft look in her face.

“A…..o..okay” YongSun mumbled

Byuli walked over to the window and gave it a look over.

“How long has it been broken?” Byuli asked. Her long delicate fingers traced over the frame of the window ledge. There was no way those fingers belonged to a maintenance woman. Yongsun got lost following her hands.

“Ahhh…Almost three days” the blonde croaked out

“It’s been a little chilly lately.

“Yeah”

“I bet I could keeps you warm” Byuli winked back and yongsun

Yonghee coughed in surprise. This Byuli had game and was coming for her sister. Now just for her sister to noticed. I bet she won’t notice she thought. She waited patiently, “What was that?” She heard her sister reply. Yonghee almost smacked herself in the face. There is no way her sister didn’t hear that standing right next to Byuli.

What Yonghee didn’t understand was Byuli’s reaction. She looked proud like she cracked her sister’s hard shell. Like there was something she saw Yonghee didn’t.

“Ah! This is it! This latch is a little stiff. The changing weather can cause it to become stuck. I’ll loosen it and it should be be a problem in the future.” Byuli reached in her took bag and started fixing the problem.

“Ah that’s too bad.” Replied Yongsun. At this moment, Yonghee perked up a little. How should she judge this moment? Was Yong fully not paying attention? She was obviously staring at Byuli working.

“Well that should do it.” Byuli pushes the window down and back up. It worked like a new window on a brand new house. She turned to Yongsun and reached into her pocket. She pulled out a small leather case and fished out a square piece of paper. Next she pulled out a pen and scribbled on the back. “Here is my business card. This number is my personal cellphone. Please don’t hesitate to call or message me if you need anything.”

Yongsun took the card and looked into the woman’s eyes. They were the warmest and softest brown. She quickly averted her eyes and looked at Yonghee. “Aah.. we need to do the thing.” She said.

“What thing?” Yonghee replied.

“The….the payment thingy”

Shaking her head Yonghee asked Byuli how much her services would be, but she politely declined. Byuli told the sisters she’d be happy to come and help them with odd house jobs here and there. Yonghee tried to decline such an offer but Byuli refused. Before making her way out she turned to the youngest sister.

“How about you take me to coffee someday. When you’re able to. It’ll be a good pay back.” Yongsun mouthed a small okay. Byuli smiled and left the apartment. The youngest turned around and went to sit on the sofa in the living room. She leaned forward and out the business card in the coffee table.

Yonghee stood in the foyer and looking at her un-phased sister. “So?” The youngest the tv and took a deep sigh. Yonghee noticed her sister wasn’t looking at the tv but the little white card Byuli have her. At that moment she was stuck with a brilliant idea. The final straw to her sister’s problem. Or at least she hoped.