1) So obvious

A little push

In a restaurant in Seoul, two sisters were enjoying a lunch together. The oldest sister, Yonghee, was biting her lip in frustration. This had been the third time she had to stop their conversation. Their mom’s birthday was soon and gift wasn’t decided yet because the youngest, Yongsun, was clearly distracted.

Yonghee felt her sister was a lost cause at times. She didn’t deny her sister was beautiful and attracted the attention of many people, but the youngest never realized or didn’t care. Yongsun always loved woman but never noticed when they flirted with her. The men she just laughed at when they flirted. This whole cycle would always end with Unnie why don’t woman ever approach me?

Today, the final string was broken. She couldn’t take her sisters oblivious attitude and decided to give her a push. “Yong! Go ask for her number or stop staring. You’re starting to drool and its not for the food.”

The youngest Yong snapped out of her gaze, gave her sister a glare and shoved a piece of kimbap in . Being openly gay to her family was one thing, but flirting in public could be dangerous. Korea wasn’t a friendly place to the lgbtq+ family.

“I doubt she’s gay. No one is gay in this town except me. Otherwise, I would have a girlfriend already.” Yongsun replies in a sad tone.

Yonghee knew the waitress girl showed interest in her sister. She talked to her cutely while taking the order, returned her looks bashfully, and even gave her sister a free snack. But she knew her younger sister didn’t notice any of those signs. Yonghee waived over the cute waitress. As she got closer, Yongsun stiffened up and froze.

“Can I help you with anything?”

Although it was Yonghee that called her over, the waitress only looked at Yongsun. She had a shy smile and played with her fingers nervously. Yonghee could clearly see this young girl took a liking to her sister.

“Yong? You said you wanted something right?” Yonghee looked at the waitress and read her name tag. “Please, tell Ms. Wheein what you’d like. Its not nice to make her wait.”

Trying to find her words, 1 minute seemed to feel like an hour. Yongsun’s internal monologue was stopping her from speaking: Do I ask for her number? She can’t be can she? She so pretty. Looking at the waitress, Yongsun noticed the girl was shy looking and playing with her hair. Maybe it’s her first day? I shouldn’t stress her out by asking for her number thought Yongsun.

“Ummm, can I have some water please?” She finally spoke. The waitress’s face changed slightly into disappointment but still kept a smile. With a slight bow, she turned to get the water and left.

“I can’t believe how oblivious you are” Yonghee said. “Hurry up and finish so we can go and buy that gift already.” Both sisters sat in silence for the rest of their meal and continued with their day.