Chapter 2

Don't Ever Lie

 

The contents of the black leather bag was tipped  onto the small table. A Nintendo DS, black with several stickers of the South Korean football team. A watch, again with continuing theme of black and leather.

“This can be used to take and send us pictures of any documents or materials you find. The watch is, interestingly enough, a watch.”

The man opened the inside pocket of the school bag. “Here is your phone, it has your ‘parents’ number in it, several ‘friends from your old school’ and a contact named Jack Park. ‘jack’ is your contact to us, he owns a small corner store near your house. Once the first part of the mission is complete you will be contacted through him.”

Taemin nodded. “I’m assuming my ‘friends’ numbers will be viable if I am in need of a back story. When shall I meet my ‘parents’?” He took the phone from the man, it was the recently released Apple iPhone 4S. He opened the phone and flicked through several pages of apps, almost the same ones you would find on any teenage boys iPod/iPhone in the world. Assassin’s Creed, Vengeance, Warrior, Doodle Jump.

The man removed a wallet, similarly branded to the bag from whence it came, he opened it to reveal a credit card, ‘P’ plated drivers license, a Starbucks coffee card, library card, the appropriate amount of cash for an eighteen year old, some receipts and a school timetable. The wallet was passed to the boy.

 

“You will meet your ‘parents’ at 0750, after your plane has landed. They will be waiting at,” the man reached into the pocket  of his dark slacks to remove a small piece of paper. “The baggage carousel nearest the exit. “

He rifled through the sheets in the folder he had passed to the boy. “These are your ‘parents’.” He indicated the adults in a photo-shopped family portrait. This was done so if the boy was caught, it would not be two pictures of individuals- which looks suspicious, but a family- which seems much more innocent.

 

END FLASHBACK

 

 The boy finally saw what he had missed before. That no matter what happened tomorrow he would always have today.

The girl had turned, back facing him once again. He stole up behind her, could smell her rose conditioner, the fresh scent of washing powder on her clothes.

Taemin reached out to touch her arm, the girl spun; shocked that he had managed to get so close. Her foot slipped and he caught her, a smile crossed both of their faces, it wasn’t the first time he’d caught her.

 

 

FLASHBACK

 

‘Lee Taemin’ walked into the front office of Dalton Private Academy.

Back door, five steps. Turn around, three steps. Punch through the window, jump out, scale that chain fence, jump down, twenty-five metres to the car park.  Camera in the right hand corner of the office, blind spot just below and slightly to the left.

 This was all rushing through his mind; exits, cameras, sniper positions. Training becomes a part of you after a while.

 As Taemin’s eyes scanned the office for possible weapons, he was bumped into, head on by a girl.  He managed to catch himself in time and luckily enough catch the girl just before she hit the ground.

“Ahh.” The girl said as gravity pulled her towards the ground. She was caught by a strong hand fighting against this pull and hoisted upright.

“Are you ok? Lee Taemin at your service, I’m new here.” As Taemin’s mouth babbled these words he realized the girl he was looking at was extraordinarily beautiful, and because the world apparently has it out for him, also the target of his mission.

“Agioo, I’m so clumsy. I’m Mia Lenner. Sorry about that, I never watch where I’m going.” Mia stood and dusted off the edge of her dress

 

“Lee Taemin,” An older woman bustled through the office with a handful of paper. The woman stopped in-front of him. “I’m assuming…”

“Yes I am Taemin, how can I help you?” The woman passed him several sheets.

“Here is the map, a second copy of your timetable and a school identification card. I must be off, but Mia would you be able to show this boy around, I believe your classes are the same.” The woman left before Mia could answer.

 

“I’m  happy to show you around, we have Culinary Art’s first. Beware of Park Seongsaeng, she loves to scare new students.” The pair wandered down the hall, Mia pointing the library, gym and bathrooms as the passed.

 

END FLASHBACK

 

“This is how we met, do you remember?” Taemin asked,  one eyebrow raised with a  smile crossing his handsome face.

“Of course I remember. I ran into you in the front office, then showed you to culinary class.” Mia giggled.

“Park Seonsaeng.” They spoke together and sighed remembering happier days.