Chapter 25

It's Always You

'You draw a line, and I'm busy erasing. You draw a line and I'm busy erasing
Between a friend and lover, that boring tug of war, I don't need friendship anymore
I cut the line and you're busy tying it back up. I cut 
the line and you're busy tying it back up

I want to cross the line and look at you right now'
                                                                                            
-- Borderline (EXO-SC)

I was going through their album and came across this beautiful piece that relates so much to my book. 

You might not get hold of things right now (regarding the plot) but I promise everything will fall into its rightful place before you even know it :)                                          

---

"Oh, don't tell me, do you love me?"

"Maybe yes, but would you care--" I clapped my hand over my mouth. My eyes closed shut in embarrassment, trying to block out the image of his shocked eyes at my abrupt confession.

Stumbling back a few steps, I stared at him speechlessly. The ringing silence that followed it almost choked me. Turning away, I rushed down the corridor at a hundred kilometers per hour. Stupid, stupid Mirae. Don't you have any filter? Why do you always have to end up being so embarrassed? I groaned as the cursed words that had left my mouth a while ago kept replaying in my mind again and again. After blurting that out to Jinyoung, Why did I make a run for life? And that means not only did I confess quite bizarrely, I ran away at full speed too. So instead of making a bigger fool of myself, I decided upon hiding myself from my boyfriend for as long as possible. Brilliant strategy of mine, isn't it? I know I'm a genius.

But that wouldn't be so easy. We had History in like five minutes and I would have to face him nevertheless. I walked inside the Prefect's bathroom. Turning on the faucet, I splashed ice cold water on my face. I sighed deeply, preparing myself. Maybe, now is the time to skip class?  

I have pulled out of my thoughts when I heard something scratching behind me. I glanced back and screamed in fright. "Aaah! What the hell are you doing down there?!"

Chanyeol, who was currently slumped on the floor, peered up from his notebook boredly. It makes me wonder how I even missed him sitting there. "Writing stuff." He answered shortly before disappearing back behind his notebook.

I placed a hand on my chest to control my uneven breathing, leaning my hands against the washbasin. I stood there for some while, staring up at my clear reflection, thinking why was I stupid. My eyes were surrounded by dark circles, seems like I have to take care of my sleeping pattern more.

"What's got your knickers in a twist?" He commented, without looking up.

I rolled my eyes. I am NEVER going to tell him what I just did. Never. Nada. Not a chance. He would definitely laugh at my insanity, he will never let me see the end of it, he's going to tease me till I'm breathing my last about how my first-ever love confession got kinda rejected by my own boyfriend. Or maybe scold me for saying it so soon without any consideration?

"Nothing." I cleaned my hands using the towel as the bell rung and I moved for the door. Looking back, I asked, "Aren't you coming? We have class."

He shook his head. "Nah, I don't feel like attending today."

I rolled my eyes, walked closer to him, offering my hand. "No way, you aren't bunking on my watch."

After a moment's consideration, he grinned, taking my hand. "I guess I can walk you to class."

The History classroom was just around the corner. "I guess I am-" As we neared in, I realized that if I kept walking with him, I was most likely to run into Jinyoung which isn't something I look forward to. Plus, Yumi would be there too. I suddenly felt guilty. She would kill me if she finds out how stupid I am.

"You're what? Speechless in my presence?" He smirked.

"Can you do me a favor?" I interrupted Chanyeol.

"Depends. Is it illegal or dangerous?"

"No." I frowned.

"Sorry. Can't help you then." He stated with a grin.

"I'm serious, okay?" I replied, heaving a sigh.

"Okay, and I'm seriously listening." Chanyeol nodded, with a hint of a smile.

"Could you-- I mean, would you mind actually making ordered and detailed notes for me in the History class and bring them to me later?"

"And by that, you mean you'd like to avoid someone?" He said, without an upward lift of his lips this time. He caught on to it so easily, I wonder if my anxiety is that exposed from my expression.

"A couple of someones, actually," I muttered. Sighing again, I added, "I know it's cowardly--"

"No, it's not cowardly." He assured me. I wasn't sure if he meant it or was just saying that, but I appreciated it all the same. "Or we could both skip class and have the time of our lives." He suggested with a wink.

"How so?"

"Is that a yes?" He challenged.

I exhaled deeply. Maybe it could get things off my mind. I sure as hell was going to get back to my room and mule over the consequences of my words for the next hour till the class is over and then think of excuses of why I wanted to skip the rest of the classes of the day to hide. If Chnayeol is there, maybe he'll help me calm down. From the corner of my eye, I spotted our Professor coming and I nodded quickly. Chanyeol and I laughed as we tore through the corridor, out of his sight.

"So, where are we headed?" I questioned him when we reached our common room to get rid of our loaded bags.

"Lunch." He answered smugly.

"What?" My brows knitted in confusion. "But they don't serve for--" I glanced at my wristwatch--"another 2 hours."

"Who said I am taking you to the school cafeteria?" He led me towards the main lobby.

"Well?"

"Coffee Corner, flower." He replied.

I snorted in disbelief. But Chanyeol just raised his eyebrows. "Wait, are you serious?" I gasped. "But we don't really have time to make it there and be back, do we?"

"Not unless we're planning to skip Physics too in the afternoon." He smirked.

To my utter surprise, I found myself considering his proposal. Even, I was afraid to admit what was going on with me. Would Kang Mirae ever agree bunking school to eat at a restaurant outside campus premises? And Chanyeol was kind enough to rub it on my face.

He smiled wickedly. "I knew we'd make a rebel out of you, Mirae. I knew it."

 

After what felt like about fifteen to twenty minutes, Chanyeol and I were roaming outside the school boundary. If you're thinking that our school is kind enough to let us off the main gate in the middle of classes only because we weren't feeling like studying, then you've got it completely wrong. Chanyeol and I had to go through god know how many cramped paths and passageways until we reached here. I didn't even bother keeping all the twisted turns in my mind because my brain was already too preoccupied, I let him lead.

We headed towards the food street situated on the backside of our campus. As we walked further, trying to hide from the local public, as much as we can, because we certainly looked like some spoiled brats, bunking school while the Head badges gleamed on our chest. "What were you writing in the restroom?"

"Stuff."

"What stuff?" I insisted.

He sighed deeply. "Lyrics."

I gasped. "Lyrics as in....music?"

He threw me a dull look. "Yes, idiot."

"Wow...so you write music too?" I asked incredulously. Is there anything he can't do?

"Only when I feel like it." He shrugged.

"Hmm." I nodded. "I would like to hear it sometime."

He shook his head. "It's just small fragments of nonsense. Nothing big, or worth listening to."

"That's fine with me. I'm not much updated about it either so whatever you sing, I'll be cheering." I said.

He glanced at me and changed the topic instantly. "So, why are you trying to avoid Jinyoung?"

I eyed him suspiciously. "How did you know I'm avoiding him?"

A winning grin crossed over his lips. "Hah! I didn't. It was just a guess but you confirmed it."

I groaned. "Ugh, I hate you."

"My honor." He bowed. "Now tell me?"

"I am not avoiding him," I stated firmly. "It's nothing actually."

"Yeah, right."

He pushed the wooden door once we reached our college's favorite hub and chose a table situated on the far end corner of the hall beside a window, although it was mostly empty since it was day time. I giggled, "Gosh, I feel like we're on a date."

Chanyeol looked up, startled. Then he blinked, still unable to reply. His stare was too uncomfortable and tense.

I cleared my throat. "Umm, Chanyeol that was supposed to be a joke," I spoke unsurely.

He raised a disapproving eyebrow. "And a very bad one." 

I shrugged. "You do that all the time."

 He signaled for the waiter before facing me again. "So? What was that about your boyfriend?"

I sighed irritatedly. "You know, most people, especially friends, would take the hint and stop pestering if somebody doesn't want to share."

"Why would they be friends for, if they stop pestering and give you space. We're bound to squeeze it out of you." He smirked.

He rolled his eyes when I sweetly ignored him. "I brought you all the way here, Mirae, an explanation is a must."

Damn, he's right about that.

I had barely opened my mouth when the waiter arrived on Chanyeol's side. "Hey mate, long time no see!" He did some sort of weird handshake with Chanyeol. The latter stood up and shared a brotherly hug with the waiter, who was shorter than him and had beautiful shapely eyes.

"Skipping school, are we?" The guy smirked.

Chanyeol grinned. "Sort of." Then he turned towards me with a sweet smile. "Remember Mirae? She's our Head Girl now." 

The guy gasped and held out his hand. I don't know but he was too hot for his own good. "Oh, I didn't notice you! Congratulations!" He smiled widely.

Shaking the outstretched hand before me, I threw a questioning look at Chanyeol. "Oh, and yes, this is Minseok hyung, Mirae. He's one of our graduates. You might not remember him, he used to be the former football vice-captain, and a wonderful one too."

I racked my brains but found no memory of this guy in the rattled shell in my head. I smiled sheepishly. "Nice to meet you too." I bowed.

He bowed in response. "I'm going to attend the final match, Chanyeol, see how you've put your team together! When is the big day?"

Chanyeol beamed with pride. "Of course, hyung, that would be an honor. We have a test match on Friday and the final is two weeks later."

Minseok nodded. "I'm looking forward to it." Then he grinned, wriggling his brows suggestively. "So, are you two together or --"

Chanyeol interrupted him animatedly. "Hyung, we'll have two cappuccinos and two plates of Fish n' chips. Thanks. Bye." He quickly gripped Minseok's shoulders turning him around towards the counter, making me laugh.

Before I could say anything, Chanyeol ushered me to take my seat. I knew what Minseok meant and was immensely grateful to Chanyeol for saving us from the awkward situation.

"Why is he working here?"

Chanyeol replied. "He's a university student, works part-time here. I hope he's the one who prepares our coffees. Hyung is the best at it."

 "All I remember is that I used to have a crush on him in 8th grade," I declared.

"You what??"

"You heard it." I smiled wickedly and he returned it with a glare. "What? he's hot!"

He shook his head, refusing to accept it. "I can't believe it! I thought you hated football players back then."

"But I didn't know he was a student! or a football player! I thought he only worked here as a barista." I insisted. "Now I wish I had known he was a senior at our campus." I sighed dreamily.

He looked disgusted and offended. "You're ridiculous."

"Come on, it was just a small crush," I explained though I don't see why I have to.

Our steaming order arrived in a few minutes and we dug in like wolves. It's been so long I've had ample fast food. I was pleased that he had forgotten about our previous conversation when he brought it up again. "Okay, tell me now."

"It's nothing serious," I stated stubbornly, munching on a french fry. " And it's personal!"

"Huh, since when did you get this private about your life?" He smirked coolly.

"I'm not telling anyone!"

"You didn't say it to him, did you?" Chanyeol blurted out.

"It?" I asked, perplexed.

"You know what!" He exclaimed.

I gulped, looking around anywhere that wasn't close to his eyes. Because his eyes were accusing like I had committed a crime. Because I didn't take his advice after all and look where it got me. I bobbed my head up and down once. "Uhh yeah... I kind of...told him I loved him."

His jaw dropped. Then composing himself quickly, he fired the next question just as immediately. "And did he say it back?"

I fiddled with my skirt. "I-I didn't give him a chance to, I ran away from there."

He exhaled loudly as a crease appeared between his eyebrows. I risked a glance at his face and my heart dropped. It was worse than anything I'd imagined. He wasn't laughing, he wasn't making fun of me. He wasn't even giving me a piece of his mind.  He was quiet. Emotionless. Blank. 

 I nudged him, timidly. "Come on, say something."

He forced a weary smile. "No, I'm just...I don't know." He picked up his fork again. "You didn't want to talk about it, right? Well, seems like I don't either."

"Okay," I muttered. I was engulfed by the dreadful memory again, how Jinyoung's eyes looked ready to reject my confession, how utterly astonished he was like it was something impossible to happen between us. Chanyeol was right, I should have been completely sure of my heart before saying it. After a moment of thick silence, I started quietly. "I don't think it would make any difference though, he obviously doesn't reciprocate so..."

That caught his attention. Looking up, he exclaimed, "What do you mean? You confessing your love for someone does not make a difference?" He put it like it was impossible.

I shrugged. "He says he doesn't believe in-"

"So, what are you kids doing here?!" A loud voice boomed from behind me. With a loud, alarming yelp, I jumped when I spotted Baekhyun's grinning face near mine. 

Phew, for a minute, I thought somebody from the school caught us.

"How did you know we were here?" I asked as he took the seat beside mine.

He jutted out a finger at Chanyeol. "He texted me. And I figured that I should tag along since class is no fun without either of you." He added, "Told professor I was feeling a bit under the weather, he let me off after witnessing some of my oscar-deserving acting and here I am." 

Baekhyun's hand extended to Chanyeol's plate and the latter pushed it away. "Not my fries," Chanyeol warned.

Baekhyun pouted reaching for mine. After shoving a piece of fried fish in his mouth, he his fingers. Then he winked at me. "I was shocked out of my pants when Chanyeol told me that you agreed to come here yourself and that he hadn't actually kidnapped you!"

I rolled my eyes. "Puh-lease."

"That's going to be a mark on your record, Head Girl Mirae."

"And what about your record?" I asked.

"Seventy-three."

"Er, what?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were asking what my record was for skipping classes without getting caught." My eyes widened. "You have my permission to be impressed."

I raised an eyebrow. "I'm sure I wouldn't be if I knew the other half of the record."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, the number of times you've skipped class and have been caught."

"Ah-- good point, Mirae. "Baekhyun sat back in his seat and thought for a minute. He shook his head. "I've lost count." I grinned in satisfaction.

"Now, what brings you both here?"

Neither Chanyeol nor I replied to him, he was probably expecting me to start and I certainly wasn't in the mood to lay out my embarrassing story again. Baekhyun's tiny eyes darted between us suspiciously as he suddenly froze. "Did I interrupt something? Aren't you both too quiet?"

Chanyeol smirked coldly. "Professions of love."

Baekhyun almost fell from his seat, his eyes bulging out. "What? Did you-"

"From Mirae to Jinyoung." Chanyeol cut him unnecessarily.

"Aahh." He nodded in realization, then threw me a sultry wink. "So, we're a big girl now, are we?"

I rolled my eyes. "Stop it. It wasn't intentional."

"But you did mean it, didn't you?"

His question caught me off guard. I thought for a minute. Now that I had discovered Jinyoung's and my recent clash in our idea of love, I wasn't so sure of my feelings. How can I love him so certainly now? I wasn't even sure in the first place. Coming to the point, had I actually loved him all along? It had been, after all, something that had only slipped out when I was talking to Yumi. "I don't know."

He mouthed a 'WTF' at Chanyeol when he thought I wasn't looking which I pretended I didn't notice. Chanyeol just frowned, shrugging. He pushed his plate at his best friend saying he lost his appetite. 

"By the way." Baekhyun turned to us supporting the most cheerful face ever. "I asked her out."

"Who?" 

He rolled his eyes. "Why do I always have to remind you? The twin, remember?"

"Ahh, okay I got it." I smiled wickedly. "Now which one are we talking about here?"

"Na eun." 

I nodded. "The one who's wearing a bandanna today, right?" Chanyeol guessed.

His eyebrows met in confusion and he scratched his head. "What? Bandanna...no, I would have noticed. I think her sister was wearing one... or was it the other one?"

Chanyeol and I broke into laughter. "Seriously, Baek?"

"You're still confused!" I .

Baekhyun made a face and whined out. "Oh my god....how am I ever going to recognize them?? What if the other one shows up on the date?"

"Ask her to show you her ID!" Chanyeol suggested.

"Or take thumbprints!"

"DNA testing?"

He scoffed, turning on his seat, away from us. "I hate you guys. I should never have told you. You guys always confuse me. I was so happy before--- YAH!" I flinched at his sudden shriek. "Holy ing !" 

Chanyeol and I, totally startled, followed his gaze, leading out the window which looked into another small shop. I narrowed my eyes to focus on the person. Andrew, Yumi's boyfriend of two years, was seated next to the window seat, his hands all over a bare-shouldered girl, kissing her. I gasped loudly.

"That girl is so not who it should be," Baekhyun muttered in disgust.

"No..." I whispered, pressing my eyes tight. "How can he..."

I was confused, saddened by the scene in front of me. Chanyeol on the other hand had a completely different reaction. His clenched fist collided with the table violently. "That piece of !" He stood up angrily. The second I realized he was actually going to confront Andrew, I quickly rose and grabbed his wrist tightly. 

"You're not going anywhere!"

He turned at me with shock. "It's your friend he's cheating on, Mirae! How can you be so calm?"

"I mean, not here!!" I argued.

"She's right, mate. You don't want to make a scene now." Baekhyun added quietly.

"But look at him!" Chanyeol ed a finger at Andrew. "We don't even know how long has this been going on."

I nodded trying to cool him down. "I know. But if you start a fight here, the first thing these people will do is call the school administration. Just imagine how lovely that would be. We're the Heads, for heaven's sake. We aren't supposed to be bunking. Nobody can know about this, Chanyeol, please." I pleaded with him. "This can be settled later."

"Yea, we wouldn't stop you once we're back in the common room," Baekhyun spoke. "You can kill him for all I care."

He sighed and nodded lightly, slumping back in his seat. His frown lightened as he faced me with a hint of a confused smile. "How can you always manage to be so rational in the worst of times?"

I smiled, peeking out the window again but it vanished when I caught Andrew gawking at us. Guilt and fear covered his features and his hands quickly retreated from the girl's figure. I made sure to throw him a deadly glare.

We didn't stay for long after that and returned to the common room. My heart crushed into pieces whenever I thought about Yumi. As we reached, she was giggling at a video Junmyun was showing her on his phone. The three of us exchanged a dark glance when we spotted her happy smile.

"Ah, Mirae! I was looking all over for you! How come you missed History?" She exclaimed as I plopped beside her.

I smiled uncomfortably. Coughing, I excused, "I'll tell you 'bout it later." 

She nodded. "Our History professor paired us for a group assignment, it's really interesting. You'll be working with Jongdae, by the way!"

I smirked. "Well, that would be fun."

Chanyeol nudged me before I could get any more distracted. Honestly, I don't have the heart to tell her. I can't watch her break like that. But being her friend and all, I had to.

"I've got something to tell you." I scooted closer to her on the couch and so did the boys, three faces leaned in closer to us.

She laughed, looking nervous. "Yeah?"

"Umm...I-uh I mean, you.." I took a deep breath. "Nothing actually. How are things with Andrew?"

A wide smile replaced her frown. "Oh-um great! I had told you he was a bit distant lately, right? But he's taking me to dinner tonight. He said-"

"Tonight?" I scowled. Dinner? Oh sure, I am not letting that happen.

I nodded lightly. I signaled Chanyeol to try. He nodded and opened his mouth but only a few broken words came out which made no sense. Great, he doesn't have the courage either.

"Oh, for Lord's sake! Get aside both of you sissies!" Baekhyun yelled at us.

With a large disapproving frown, he stomped forward and crouched below Yumi's knees. "I'll make it simple. Andrew's cheating on you."

We gasped at his blunt words. But Yumi stayed put. Then she laughed. "Yeah sure."

We eyed her weirdly. She immediately sobered when she noticed I wasn't equally amused. "Come on, Mirae, you're in the prank too?"

I sighed, taking her hand. "It's not a prank."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"We saw him."

She threw me a confused look. "Where? When? Look, he asked me out last night himself, alright? You guys are probably mistaken-"

The common room banged open. Andrew entered, he was breathing heavily like he ran all the way back. His steps froze when he spotted us beside his girlfriend. Yumi stood quickly, "What's going on, Andrew?"

He hesitated before answering and his guilty expression told everything. "Look, it's not as bad, I was about to tell you tonight--" Chanyeol charged at him, grabbed his collar landing a punch on his right cheek, Andrew groaned in pain. I didn't stop him at all. For the first time, I didn't care about his Head Boy image. Yumi had grown close to him and his friends a lot over the year too, and none of us could let it go so easily.

Yumi gasped, her eyes were glossy now. Andrew didn't even try to fight back. Chanyeol raised his fist again but halted abruptly. "I would have beaten you to a pulp if I didn't need you alive at the match in one piece, !" He spat, his veined fist was shaking furiously.

The second he released him, Andrew left the common room, Yumi following him outside.

-

In the light of recent events, my dramatic episode with my own boyfriend totally slipped my mind. Not until a knock sounded on the door. It felt weird to have him in my room, I realized this was the first time he came here. 

Jinyoung asked about random things before bringing up the topic I was keen on avoiding. But it didn't turn out to be so horrible. I calmly asked him not to bring up my confession again and that I'm still thinking it over, that it was just a meaningless slip-out. He nicely agreed. He didn't stay for long after that.

I was unable to produce any rational work after he left. My mind kept reeling with everything that was happening to us, my thoughts utterly disoriented. Another frail knock echoed in the room. Outside, stood Yumi who looked prepared to cry her eyes out.

"Oh, Yumi." I quickly pulled her inside, holding her tight and her loud sobs burst out. "Shh..." I patted her head as her body trembled against mine.

"He-he's been seeing her for months!" She whimpered in my shirt.

I sighed and forced her to lie down on my bed. "He's a piece of . I'm so sorry."

She wailed. "Why did he even do it? I had never even thought of any guy aside from him, how could he?!" A painful cry emitted from . There's nothing more distressing than seeing your best friend hurt like that.

I scooted closer and hushed her. She was broken, truly broken. And I hated to see my cheerful friend like this. When it got late, I told her to sleep beside me. Yumi and I were comfortable on the single bed as we held each other close, both distressed over our failing love life.

-

The two of us decided to stay in for the match on Friday because neither of us felt like attending. Not to mention the fact that that I am always like that. When the crowd returned, we were shocked to meet the gloomy, dejected faces.

Soon enough, Baekhyun, Jinyoung, and Junmyun joined us in the common room looking like a bunch of pissed-off woebegones. "I hate football!" Baekhyun declared loudly.

I grinned. "Welcome to the club."

Jinyoung shook his head tiredly. "Today was a disaster, I don't know what went wrong with us. Our practice was always flawless."

I his hand. "I'm sure you'll do well in the Final."

"I hope so. Chanyeol will eat us otherwise."

I suddenly realized he wasn't here. "Where is he anyway?"

"Trying to drown himself in the shower." Junmyun joked sarcastically, earning a few grins from the rest of us.

"He must be very upset," Yumi mumbled.

"He is, I don't see what's the point though," Baekhyun remarked. "I mean, with the amount of practice, our chances of losing the Cup are close to zero."

"But he's under the pressure of the whole school." I pointed out.

"Yeah!" Junmyun exclaimed. "And he completely lost it when Sungho passed the ball offside instead of kicking it towards left..."

They began to discuss the tactics again and I lost interest immediately. From the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of Jinyoung slipping out from among us. He departed from the common room, hanging a sling backpack. I followed him until we were outside.

"Are you going somewhere?"

He whipped around facing me. "Oh, I didn't see you!"

I smiled. "That's okay." I pointed my head towards where he was heading. "Are you busy?"

He nodded slowly. "Umm...yeah sort of. Why?"

"No...I just thought maybe we could hang out, it's been quite some time since we hung around..." I suggested timidly. 

Jinyoung came closer, clasping my hand tenderly, and continued apologetically. "I'm so sorry, but I need to be somewhere right now."

I frowned. "But aren't you going to be busy with practices from now on?"

He sighed deeply. "Yea, that's true. But we'll find some time for both of us soon, okay? I promise."

I pouted. "What are you doing now?"

He opened his mouth but stopped abruptly. "Oh, um, remember that History project?"

"Great, we can work together!" I exclaimed happily.

"No, we're supposed to do that with our assigned partners."

"Oh yeah," I nodded. "Who's yours?"

"Dunno, some guy from Arts club." He replied.

I scowled. "Okay." I made a face but agreed. Why do I feel like he's not being entirely honest? He grinned, gave me a long kiss, and left in hurry. I stood there dazed for some time. 

I contemplated on whether I should check up on Chanyeol or let it be. In the end, I proceeded to the conclusion that maybe it wouldn't hurt to see how he's doing. That idiot does take football too passionately. I strolled towards the other side of campus to the locker room finding the door half-open.

It's odd for a girl to come here since it was basically a kind of men's washroom, just furnished differently and used for more professional reasons. Nevertheless, it's a private place. A little uneasily, I peeped inside when I heard a noise inside and the sight before my eyes was mind-blowing.

Chanyeol stood there like some mighty king, his wet hair hanging stylishly on his forehead. As my gaze traveled beneath, I was dumbfounded to find him shirtless. My hand clapped over my mouth and I couldn't stop myself from staring at him. Oh god, his skin. It shone so gracefully in the sunlight, droplets of water sprinkling on his abdomen. I noticed he wasn't so pale-skinned either, a warm ivory shade embraced him. His chest heaved up and down making me slightly breathless. Then his abs... are all men so well built?

He, sure enough, looked as if he had just stepped out from a modeling shoot. The way his muscles flexed was enough for me to blush red. I had this sudden urge to touch him but I, thankfully, had better control of myself. I hope nobody sees me this way, I appeared like some erted stalker right now. 

One thing was sure, it's impossible to talk to him when he's looking this...this hot. No way. And he knows the kind of effect he has on girls, so he would act all high-and-mighty. If I let him know that I'm affected too, he'll tease me so much. Maybe I could ask him to wear a shirt first?

My thoughts were interrupted by a girlish laugh echoing inside. All of my crazy fantasies flushed away as I backed away intuitively, my hands still quivering over the doorknob. Something large and heavy dropped in my stomach. Is somebody already there? I allowed myself one last, close glance.

Hyori

Ahn freaking Hyori walked elegantly towards Chanyeol, wrapping a pair of slender hands around his strong neck, leaving a wet kiss on his ear. And he seemed to enjoy it which was evident from the way his lips curled into a satisfied smirk.

I shook my head vigorously, unable to admit the scene in front of me. But the more confusing was how I felt something so unreasonably strange. A mount of unsettling emotions seeped inside me, growing its roots. It wasn't like his actions were new to me. I marked this feeling as anger and left the corridor as hurriedly as humanly possible before I could become the audience of their make-out session. Is that how he releases tension? I thought he would be sad, disappointed but the intimate scene before my eyes showed anything but.

Huh, very smooth, you thought you were the only one to comfort him? He's got better ones.

-

I couldn't focus on work. It's been two hours of struggling to get something inside my head while I waited for Jongdae in the library. I don't know what was truly distracting me. Chanyeol and his girl kept popping in my mind. He had never been the type to go snogging girls just for the hell of it, only to cool himself down without any intention of starting something with them...that was much more Baekhyun's territory.

And realizing this made me more irritated, and quite frankly disappointed me. 

But Jongdae joined me and I found myself cooling down. We were supposed to work on any desired topic and prepare a 15-page elucidating analysis of its evolution and progression in the South Korean community. 

"Drugs?" He suggested, nibbling his pencil. "Pollution?"

"Nah, I bet half of the school is covering that." I shook my head.

"How about music? Jongdae asked. "Evolution of Music?"

I pouted. "That sounds good but I'm afraid you're going to be the only one working on that." I grinned, holding up my hands. "I'm not very updated."

"Ah no, we both should be well informed." He refused.

We kept proposing ideas that were either too stupid or too common. It was getting late and I was getting frustrated by the rate we were going with. Instantly, out of nowhere, a small something popped in my head. 

"Okay, I can sense something brilliant going on in that head of yours," Jongdae smirked, quickly sitting up in his seat.

My eyes lit up. "Um, yes actually. But I'm not sure, it's very boring so you can definitely say no."

He nodded to encourage me. "Just go on."

"How about South Korea's constitution? All the charters, covenants, and amendments made over the years including the events that influenced them. I mean I--uh, I'm interested in studying law so--"

"Oh Lord no, seriously?!"

"I'm sorry-"

Jongdae cut me off again. "No, no I meant that in a good way. I want to be a lawyer too!"

I squealed. "Woah, that's awesome!"

"I know! Have you chosen any college?" He beamed with that bright smile of his.

"Yes, Seoul National University!" 

He gasped, holding his chest. "Me too."

I raised an eyebrow. "Okay. This is scary." I whispered.

"Yep." He commented. "And I'm good with that plan. Let's do it, Kang Mirae!"

The next two hours went by smoothly. I have never had so much fun working with anyone. Our ideas, prospects, and concerns were too matching and I already felt like he is some old buddy. You know that feeling when you find someone with similar interests and then you can't stop fangirling!

He offered to walk me to the common room. We were just chatting about college entrance exams when he congratulated me on something I hadn't even wind of.

"Oh my, Mirae. Congratulations! I'm so sorry I forgot it, it slipped my mind--" He started.

"What?" I asked, puzzled.

He looked at me incredulously. "About Jinyoung!? He even tied at his audition--"

"Audition?" I frowned. 

"You don't know?" He frowned back. I shook my head quietly.

"Jinyoung gave audition at JYP Entertainment about three weeks ago. And he's a trainee there now."

What.

Oh.

Just great.

Is that where he keeps disappearing to?

I forced a smile. "That's so--um nice." 

"Why didn't he tell you?"

"I'm sure it was supposed to be a surprise." I lied blatantly.

"Oh . I'm so sorry for ruining it." Jongdae looked genuinely guilty.

"No that's fine," I reassured him. "Um, how come you know about it?"

"Because we're Arts students." He shrugged. "For Science students, the biggest honor is to get into a college. But for most of my classmates who are interested in entering the entertainment world, we want to pass auditions or get cast or anything to pave the way into our area of expertise. So when Jinyoung was admitted to that agency, I found out immediately. My friend's a trainee there too and he confirmed me."

"I see." I nodded. "I should get going, thanks." I smiled and left without giving him a chance to speak anymore. Tears welled up in my eyes, but I tried to force them down by taking large breaths to compose myself. I still have a big part of the day left. My head was reeling with questions. I have always supported him with his passion for singing, why did he have to hide it from me?

My disappointment only heightened when I returned to the common room, and it took me more than a moment to locate the Head Boy. I scanned the room for Chanyeol, Baekhyun, or Yumi, wanting to ask if they knew about this Jingyoung business. When I did find the first one, I wanted to rip my hair off. He was once again cuddling with Hyori. He was leaning against the wall next to her, twirling her hair around his finger. 

I turned to Junmyun irritatedly, "Look, can you do me a favor? if Chanyeol's ever...free, will you remind him that we have rounds tonight? And tell him that I'd greatly appreciate it if he, one, actually show up, and two wasn't completely smashed."

Junmyun smiled. "Sure, where are you going?"

"Upstairs--homework," I explained briefly.

As expected, I couldn't focus on work again. Seriously, I need to set my mind right. I'd fail this year if I keep getting distracted like this. However, an hour later, I returned to the common room, sweeping my gaze around the room. When I did find him, I let out a frustrated sigh. He was kissing a brunette this time, probably Hyori. No, wait--this wasn't Hyori. It was an entirely different girl this time whose name I didn't bother coming up with.

Making a noise of disgust at the back of my throat. I marched angrily towards them, my blood boiling by this time.

A hand shot out and grabbed my arm, halting my progress. "Aww, Mirae come on, have a heart," Baekhyun called after me, his hand shot at me. "Don't disturb them."

I snatched my arm out of his grasp. "Unfortunately he has other things to do." I snarled at his friend. "Rounds." I elaborated when he looked at me in confusion.

"Ah, bad luck for him." He said in mock sympathy.

I continued, pulling Chanyeol none too gently from the girl he was snogging. She shot me an affronted look, that I ignored, while I dragged him outside.

"I'll be right back, jagi." He called over his shoulder. To me, he added, "Really, Mirae you could have just gotten in the line, it's courteous."

I glared fiercely at him. "I'm not amused."

"Well, that much is pretty obvious." He looked around his surroundings as we exited the bustling common room, wobbling at his feet but keeping pace with my long, angry strides. "Wait, hold on, where are you taking me?"

I stopped dead to face him. "You're kidding, right? You promised you'd never forget again."

Comprehension dawning, he said, "Rounds, right. Damn."

I left him to follow me, I think my brain is going to explode with everything wrong going on here. From Chanyeol to Jinyoung. None of these men were being they should be, how they used to be. He kept on rambling, evidently, he hadn't noticed my anger at all. I met his gaze suspiciously. "Seems ing unfair to me. That we still have to do these. I have half a mind to ask Madame Jung to let us have these days off, at least when we've lost a bloody match!" He stumbled again.

I exploded. "Are you-are you drunk?"

"What, no ' course not." Chanyeol collected himself quickly. "Maybe a little." He whispered after a second.

I gaped at him for a moment, tried to say something but only a strangled noise came. I whirled around crossing my hands over my chest tightly.

"Come on Mirae, it's not--" Chanyeol started, hurrying after me once more.

I faced him, his eyebrows shot up in surprise seeing my furious expression. "It's not what? Not that bad? Because that's complete bull. It is that bad-- you're just--you don't even realize...Look I don't care if you think this Head stuff is stupid, or if you want to prove Baekhyun that you don't take the responsibility seriously--"

"Oh, here we go." Chanyeol rolled his eyes, scoffing. "Another lecture on bloody responsibility. Honestly, is that all you can think about?"

"When you're acting like this, yes!" I raised my voice. "I mean, what were you thinking? Really, Chanyeol, I'm curious what exactly went through your head. Did you sit there and go, 'Right so I can afford to skip rounds, they are stupid anyway, Mirae will always cover for me anyway because she has nothing else to do, so I might as well get drunk and make out with every girl in the room while--"

"Ah, so that's what it is about?" Chanyeol interrupted. "You're jealous?"

"What?" I gasped incredulously. "No! For once, your idiocy is not my primary concern-"

"You sure? For someone who gets such good grades, I think you're pretty dense about the feelings of people around you!" Chanyeol shuffled away leaving me to run after him this time.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing." He replied shortly.

I demanded. "There's obviously something you wanted to--"

"You really want to know? It's you." He whirled to face me again.

"What's me?"

"My problem."

"I'm your problem?" I repeated. 

Chnayeol let out a frustrated sigh, letting his hand through his rumpled, unkempt hair. "It's--you're---you're just--"

"I'm what? 

"So goddamned judgmental! All the time! You just have these--these impossibly high standards for everyone, and if they don't measure up, oh well, it's too bad for them, isn't it? They'll have no position in your life. But you know what, not everyone's perfect. Hell, you sure aren't perfect! You think that doing the right thing, always following the rules is what you're supposed to do, but really it just makes you boring!"

I blinked, stunned to silence. His outburst had blown my mind. But then what he did surprised me even more. His expression, so angry moments before, sort of crumpled, and he groaned loudly. Chanyeol slid down the nearest wall, elbows on his knees, his head in his hands.

Without hesitating, I crouched down beside him. "Chanyeol, what's wrong?" I asked quietly. Because somewhere in the middle of his ranting, I'd realized I wasn't the one he was angry at.

"I didn't mean it." He mumbled through his fingers.

"I know. What's going on?"

He raised his head, His eyes were red and lacked their usual shine. "My...my mother wouldn't let me enter the tryouts."

I knew it. I knew he wanted to join that football club!

"What does she say?" I made myself comfortable on the floor too.

He sighed. "She thinks there is no future in it but I know I could be so much more if I join the national team. I just want to try! I've dreamt of this moment since I was a kid! I can't let go of my passion but I don't want to make her unhappy too, I--I don't know what to do. Time is running, if I don't hurry up, the deadline for tryouts will pass."

"Oh, Chanyeol I'm so sorry." I reached for his hand. I gave it a quick squeeze, but as I made to let it go, his fingers tightened around mine, and I let my hand rest in his grasp.

"No, I am the one who should be apologizing. It's no excuse for me to act like a git." He said.

I shrugged. "I don't mind. I've been screaming awful things at you for five years, so what's a few minutes from you, right?" I joked.

Chanyeol cracked a smile at that. "You're bloody amazing, you know that?"

I smiled modestly, but my heart's thumping accelerated. "Yeah..."

"I mean it." He insisted. "I would have just punched me in the face and left, but here you are..."

"Wait, so, you're saying that the next time I yell at you for no reason, you're going to punch me?" I asked.

Chanyeol laughed. "No, I mean, probably not."

After a pause, I added. "All things considered, I still feel obligated to tell you this isn't exactly the healthiest way to deal with...everything."

"What isn't?"

"You know." I jerked my thumb at the common room.

"You mean, getting drunk and snogging all the girls?" He grinned.

I nodded.

"Never can resist a chance to lecture me, flower?"

I eyed him carefully, his grin slipped slightly at my considering expression.I replied with a question. "You really think I'm boring?"

"'Course not, flower, where would you get such a silly idea?" He looked amused.

"Straight from that excessively mobile mouth of yours."

He just laughed. "But seriously?" I pressed. "How ridiculous of me. It's....just that.. sometimes anger makes people...force the truth out." I finished in a whisper, determinedly not looking at him.

I could feel his eyes on me as he answered seriously. "I hardly ever mean anything I say, when I'm angry."

"Okay." I looked up to see him gazing at my face with an unreadable twinkle. I smiled back.

His phone buzzed, bursting our peaceful little bubble. He dropped my hand, shoving his hand in his pocket. He frowned as soon as his eyes fell on the screen. "Yeoboseyo?"

The call didn't last long but it was long enough to wipe away any sign of relief from his face. His mouth parted in shock as he hung up. His eyes stared into nothing, trauma was written on his face. I touched his shoulder.

"What's the matter?"

He faced me, snapping from his surprise. "Mirae, I-I have to go, I'm so sorry. I have to--oh my god, how am I supposed to tell him!" He stood up on his feet.

"What?!" I asked.

"Baekhyun's brother..." Chanyeol gulped. "He-he attempted suicide."

------------------

Hehehe *evil laughs*

For those who don't understand what 'tryouts' Chanyeol is referring to, you might want to take a look at Chap 24. I explained everything there.
The lack of response I get from you guys is really demotivating. Please try to make your presence known, leave a vote or a comment. I'll be truly delighted!

See y'all next year!