Testing The Boundary

Love Knows No Boundary

A/N: Hello, Happy New Year! An update is ready. Enjoy~

-----------------

After lunch, Taehyung drives Jisoo back in her car. The guy offers to walk the other back to her office before heading back to his rented apartment. As they are walking to the lift lobby, they bump into Nayeon and Jennie.

"You guys are back for lunch?" asks Nayeon, as she spots her two best friends coming back. Jisoo is talking to Taehyung, who is holding two cups of coffee. Noticing that her intern avoids looking at the two of them, Nayeon decides to in the soon-to-be sticky situation. She goes to Taehyung, pulling the other and says, "Taehyung, shall we go for another round of lunch? Or perhaps dessert?"

She then turns to Jisoo and says, "I will take your cup of coffee. I will get you one later."

This leaves Jennie and Jisoo alone. Though puzzled by Nayeon's action, brushing it off as Nayeon missing the guy, Jisoo is glad that she has her time alone with Jennie. She misses the younger so much that she eagerly starts a conversation, in the middle of the parking lot.

"So, how was your day?"

"It was great. We just came back from a meeting with Once&Twice," Jennie replies. The latter realises that the younger isn't like her usual self. She isn't talking as much, looking a little uninvested in the conversion but brushes it off as the girl being tired. She continues to ask, "have you eaten? You should go have your lunch."

"Ms Im and I have eaten before coming back," the younger gives another short reply, again not explaining much. Realising that her best friend had decided to leave the two some alone time by pulling Taehyung away even though Nayeon already has lunch, she once again thanks Nayeon internally. She then realises what is up with the young girl.

"Jennie is jealous," Jisoo thinks to herself. She then holds onto Jennie's wrist, not caring if anyone would see them together, says, "come on, let's head back to the office together."

As they head into the lift lobby. Jisoo presses the button, entering the elevator. As the door closes, she pins Jennie to the back of the elevator, leaning in for a kiss. As her lips meet Jennie's soft one, she deepens it. As she deepens the kiss, she feels Jennie putting her arms around her, also leaning forward to further deepen the kiss.

The kiss has dissolved any insecurities Jennie has felt with the presence of the guy. She knows that Jisoo is in love with her and her heart only wants her.

"I miss you so much and it is driving me crazy," says Jisoo as she pulls away, barely centimetres away from the other. She stares fondly at the other before placing another kiss on the forehead, this time a soft and gentle one. Soon, their moment is broken by the distinct ringing, 'ding', sounding from the elevator, signalling that it has reached the destination. The younger unwilling unhooks her arms over Jisoo, with the latter also unwillingly letting go of Jennie's arm. She fixes the younger's hair before telling the other, "I will bring you to my home later."

The girl nods before scurrying out of the elevator, leaving the other chuckling in the elevator as the door goes shut, going up to the 18th floor.

-----------------

"Jisoo, are you free today?" asks Jennie entering Jisoo's office after work. The latter is packing up her belongings before leaving. She stops what she is doing to usher the younger to come in, giving the other a hug and a kiss on the cheek. However, she says disappointingly, "not really, I am meeting Tae later."

The younger releases the hug upon hearing the guy's name, trying to mask a frown. She asks, "oh really? It's alright then." The younger then tells the older that she will see the other tomorrow before leaving the office. Before Jisoo could have a chance to ask the other to tag along, Jennie has already left.

Shortly after, Taehyung enters Jisoo's office, asking his friend, "ready, Director Kim?"

The other can only laugh at Taehyung's eagerness before telling him, "give me a moment."

She proceeds to finish packing her things. The guy walks to where Jisoo is, notices the photo frame on her desk. He picks the photo frame and asks, "you still have this?"

The woman replies, "of course, precious memories from back then with you and Nayeon."

This makes Taehyung smile that Jisoo still keeps the gift that he has gifted to her on their college graduation. TThe guy hopes that maybe their long time friendship can still change something.

- Flashback -

As he is driving Nayeon for their second lunch, Nayeon started to speak as soon as they stopped at the first traffic light.

"Taehyung, do you still like Jisoo?"

"I still love her, Nayeon."

Taehyung doesn't want to deny. He always has feelings for Jisoo ever since he was a little boy. The feelings intensified over the years. They have tried to date a couple of times throughout their early years. However, Jisoo would always be the one who ended the relationship, the reason being was that they were always better off being friends. He knew that Jisoo doesn't reciprocate the same amount of feelings as compared to his feelings towards her but his relentless pursuit always made Jisoo accept his heart, even for a brief moment.

However, their relationship turned awkward when their fathers have arranged for them to get married. It was said that his father would make a huge investment in Blackpink Inc and that would allow the company to expand in the medical field. Even if it is an arranged marriage, Taehyung was always excited about it, to have Jisoo formally as his wife. However, Jisoo thought otherwise. She was against the arranged marriage but she wanted to be in favour of her father. She accepted nonetheless, albeit unwillingly. As the wedding day approached, the two got into an argument. Taehyung had to confront the other after Jisoo's attempt to avoid him.

"I don't get it. Is it so bad to get married to me?" He asked Jisoo as soon as they met.

Jisoo looked at him in the eye, articulated with barely any emotions that signalled that they were a couple.

"Tae, we have tried to date a few times. This relationship just don't work."

Taehyung was frustrated. How could Jisoo not like him even a single bit? He did everything he could to make the girl fall in love with him, even if it meant giving her everything in the world. He replied with evident frustration in his tone, "you are the one who always ends the relationship!"

The next response from the girl he loves was even harsher.

"This is because we are better off being friends. I just don't love you as much as a lover."

The guy kept his cool, then held onto the girl's hands, and said, "the wedding is tomorrow. Let's just get through it, ok? For the sake of our fathers."

He had to bring this up. The only way for Jisoo to stick through the whole arranged marriage was to bring up her father. But still, in the end, it did not work. Jisoo had left him all alone at the altar on their wedding day, being humiliated in front of their relatives and close friends.

Nayeon asked, breaking his train of thoughts, "even after what she has done?"

Taehyung could only nod but that was enough to indicate to Nayeon his still unwavering love for his best friend, Jisoo.

"Tae... I don't want you to get hurt but, Jisoo is... you know..."

Nayeon found it hard to reveal the fact that her best friend is attached. That made Taehyung sigh, he then proceeded to finish her sentence, "attached right?"

Nayeon couldn't mask her expression of shock. She asked, "she told you about it?"

Taehyung shook his head, replied sadly, "I know Jisoo since I was 5. I can read her like a book. It is that girl right?"

Nayeon nodded in response and that made Taehyung grip onto the steering wheel, hard.

- End of Flashback -

After Jisoo is done packing her things, she tosses her keys to Taehyung and the other gladly catches it. He follows the other out of the office and drives both of them to their next location. Their destination is not really far, about 30 minutes drive. On the way there, Jisoo often questions about their next location, but none of the guesses is correct. Soon, they pull over in front of an MMA gym.

Jisoo comments, "I thought we would be eating first."

A little disappointed that they are not having dinner. She definitely needs some food to cheer her up after a long day of work. Taehyung opens the door for her, then says, "let's burn some calories first. It is better to burn off steam this way rather than eating."

Entering the gym, bright pink lights greet them and the place looks really classy, like an expensive gym.

Jisoo says, "wow, fancy gym." This makes Taehyung nod in response and tells the other, "do you remember Seokjin Hyung? He owns this place."

Jisoo definitely remembers the captain of the MMA club while they were both freshmen. She says, "who would forget Seokjin oppa? He is the best captain we had. He showed mercy to back then. Glad that he didn't throw our asses to the ground our first day of training."

They proceed to purchase a set of gym clothes, also renting the necessary gear before getting changed. After changing their clothes, they head off to the ring they have rented, then proceed to put on the necessary gear.

"Let's practice first. You go first," says Taehyung, as he holds onto the boxing pads, ready to receive some punches and kicks.

Jisoo first throws light punches and then finish it with a right kick before shuffling on the spot. It has been years since she last practised and is trying to gain both the momentum and feel before going all out in their practice session.

"Yah, what is this? Too light. You definitely rocked a few asses. You managed to beat Jiminie previously," Taehyung tries to psych the other up. Jisoo cracks her neck by moving it left and right, soon feeling the competitiveness kicking in. She first throws a few light jabs before increasing the intensity. With every punch, Taehyung is taking a few steps back because of the force. Next, a right kick sends the other tumbling backwards.

"You've found your momentum. Keep going!"

They guy cheers on and Jisoo continues to throw punches and kicks that help her blow off some steam from the stressful corporate life. They continue for a while more before changing roles, with Taehyung practising his punches and kicks while Jisoo holds onto the boxing pad.

Even though Taehyung hasn't been practising much, Jisoo can tell the other is holding back.

"Yah, practise properly. Just go all out. I can handle it."

"You were weak when you first started. Give me some time to get into the feel too," the guy complains before starting to throw punches that were stronger than before.

After dinner with Taehyung, they both part ways afterwards. Instead of heading back home, Jisoo decides to find Jennie. She doesn't inform the other, hoping to give a surprise visit. First, she tries her luck by going to Jennie's dorm, hoping that the other would be there. While pulling over, she notices Jennie with a guy at the lobby. She quickly gets out of the car after parking it, hiding behind the pillar to observe and also to eavesdrop the conversation.

"Now that we had dinner together, you won't bother me any more right?"

"So, I have been bothering you all this while... Are you not slightly interested in me?"

"Kai, I am already attached, if you have not realised. Sorry about that."

"We can still be friends, right?"

Jisoo smiles, glad that the guy isn't clingy as she sees the tall guy returning the handshake that Jennie has offered. Making sure that the guy has left, Jisoo creeps towards Jennie from behind, giving the other a back hug. This makes Jennie startled and almost wanted to scream. But Jennie relaxes as she recognised the familiar scent.

"Jisoo?" Jennie asks, holding onto the arms that are wrapped around her waist tightly.

In response, Jisoo replies, "yes, it's me." She then gives a kiss on the cheek to reward the other for making the right guess.

"What are you doing here?" asks Jennie as she turns slightly, seeing the person she missed for a few hours.

"To see you and say goodnight," replies the older. She then starts to rock their bodies left and right slightly, to enjoy the short moment.

"Silly you, you could have called," says Jennie, as she releases the arms around her waist, turning around. As she speaks, her right hand cups Jisoo's left cheek before leaning in for a kiss on the lips.

-----------------

A few weeks passed and that Jisoo has invited her colleagues, Seulgi and Chaeyoung to her penthouse to discuss some matters at work. She also wants to take the moment to introduce Jennie to Seulgi, who has been a great aide to her at work. Seulgi is one of the senior legal consultants of the company and often handles legal matters for her department.

While Jennie is busy in the kitchen preparing something light for Jisoo's friends, Jisoo starts to discuss work over a glass of red wine.

Jisoo asks Seulgi, "so, what is the odds of me inheriting the company?"

"The evidence looks good and besides, you have signed more major deals as compared to Director Mino," replies Seulgi, as she passes the documents to the other.

The director teases the other, "you know, all this is thanks to Jennie. I get more information from her about what Irene is busy with. This makes it easier to predict what the old man is working on."

Not affected by the teasing, Seulgi replies, "Oh right, she's Hyun's cousin. Hyun did mention about it when she bumped into Jennie at the lift lobby."

Jisoo replies, "I never expected them to be related. Even Jennie told me that Secretary Bae has never once revealed which company she worked for until that day when she bumped into Irene. I think it's fate. Even God knows that you aren't that useful. A college kid beat you in getting information from Irene."

This makes the legal consultant roll her eyes before replying, "come on, Hyun knows that we are friends. Hyun almost broke up with me for helping you to get information about CEO Kim."

Chaeyoung sides with her cousin to join in the teasing, "you are just whipped for Irene. I am amazed that you are here with us. Don't you need to go back?"

Jisoo can only laugh while Seulgi almost wanted to leave with all this teasing. But still, she speaks up in a joking manner, "oh man, you guys are getting mean. Besides, Jisoo, I can't believe that you made use of your girlfriend."

The director denies the accusation that Seulgi brought up jokingly almost too seriously. The director defends herself, saying, "I didn't make use of her. She just so happens to be Irene's cousin. Besides, she doesn't know about it. I try to be very subtle when asking about Irene's work. The kid just tells me everything. She is definitely a valuable asset, brings me so much closer to inheriting the company."

Unknown to Jisoo, the person that she least expects has heard the entire conversation.

"What is the first thing you would do when you inherit the company?" asks Seulgi, before sipping on her glass of wine.

"Probably fire Mino. He is too incompetent," Jisoo replies almost too quickly as if this is always at the back of her mind.

"You really hate him to guts, don't you," states Seulgi, throwing a smirk at the director, who is enjoying her wine.

"Rivals since unnie's birth," Chaeyoung chimes in.

"Can't wait for him to beg on his knees to have his job back," replies Jisoo, almost to sinisterly.

Her voice is filled with so much hate and how much hunger she has for power. This scares someone terribly.

After the short discussion, Chaeyoung decides to head into the kitchen to help Jennie. As she walks towards the kitchen, she notices the college girl turning her back, walking back into the kitchen. Not curious as to why Jennie is walking back, she asks the girl, "Jennie, do you need any help?"

"Erm yea, I got to go to the store. Kinda run out of some ingredients."

"Alright, I will just take over the chopping," says Chaeyoung, walking towards the kitchen counter where the chopping board is. As she is about to ask Jennie how she would like it to be cut, the younger has already left the kitchen.

-----------------

It has been an hour since Chaeyoung is in the kitchen. Wondering as to why the younger is still not back in the kitchen, she goes to the living room, asking her cousin, "is Jennie not back yet?"

Jisoo stops her conversation with Seulgi before asking, "she left the place earlier?"

Chaeyeoung replies, "she left about an hour ago, saying that she ran out of ingredients."

This makes Jisoo frown. They went shopping for this get-together yesterday and the older swear that they got more than enough. She then asks her younger cousin, "Chaeyoung, did you notice anything strange before Jennie left?"

"Not that I know off but while I was walking to the kitchen, she seemed to be turning back. I thought it was nothing."

Jisoo begins to be worried and decides to head out to look for Jennie.

"You guys call take-out or something. I will go find her. Chae, can you give me Lisa's number? Just in case."

-----------------

Jisoo has been looking for Jennie about an hour, heading to grocery shops, convenience stores and shopping malls around her residence. However, she hasn't managed to find the college girl. She stops to think for a second. Since it has been 2 hours since Jennie has left her place, she decides to head off to the dorm to find the other. Before heading off to the college dorm, she decides to give Lisa a call.

After reaching the dorm, she meets Lisa at the lobby. The first thing that Lisa do as soon as she spots Jisoo is to confront the older woman, "what did you do to Jennie?"

The Thai girl almost wanted to hold Jisoo by the collar but she refrains herself since she is still within the school compound. Jisoo shrugs before telling the truth, "I don't know. She just left my place without notice."

Jisoo continues, "just let me into the dorm. Also, help me to knock on her door, please."

"I doing this for Chaeyoung and if you do hurt my best friend, I swear that I will make your life hell."

Lisa lets Jisoo into the college residence as she taps her access card while they are in the elevator. The elevator ride is filled with awkward tension. Jisoo doesn't care, all she needs is to find Jennie to make sure she is safe and that there is nothing wrong with the other. Once the elevator doors open, the older quickly walks to Jennie's unit, urging Lisa to hurry up to knock on the door.

"Jennie, I've got something for you," says Lisa, almost unwilling to help Jisoo.

-----------------

Jennie hears the doorbell and walks towards the door. As she approaches, she hears Lisa's voice, she wonders what the latter is doing at her unit. She opens the door and to her surprise, she sees Jisoo instead. On reflex, she quickly closes the door but the older quickly stop the door from shutting, trying to squeeze through. She makes it safely into Jennie's apartment, although clearly not invited as Jennie has her back turn towards her.

"What is with you? You left halfway," asks Jisoo carefully. She hopes that Jennie can at least tell her what is wrong. One thing for sure is that she has something to do with Jennie's early departure with how the girl is acting towards her.

The question makes the college girl walk towards the living room, with her back still turned towards Jisoo. Without any response, Jisoo clearly does not know what she has done wrong to make the other mad at her.

"Say something please, I really have no idea what I did to make you mad."

She approaches Jennie and tries to give the other a back hug but instead, the girl tries to push her away. What comes next hurts her like a knife stab into her heart.

"Don't touch me... I'm scared."

Soon, the younger breaks down into tears, legs give way, collapsing onto the ground. Jisoo is flustered but gives the other space by taking a few steps back. Remembering what Chaeyoung had mentioned earlier, she realises that Jennie could have overheard their conversation.

"I'm sorry, but believe me, I didn't intend to make use of you from the start," Jisoo explains, almost desperately.

Jennie then asks a question that she has been dying to ask, "is status really important to you?"

"I'm sorry? What?"

"I am giving you an option, the company or me. Pick one."

"You can't make me choose between the things I love. Come on, you are too young to understand all this. I've apologised already, so let's just makeup and forget whatever happened earlier."

Jisoo suggests but she is still not getting any response. She desperately pleads, "please?"

Jennie sighs, then turn around. She musters the courage to speak to Jisoo.

"Jisoo, I may be young but I am mature enough to know what is wrong and what is right. Not that I want to be involved in your family or work affairs but whatever favouritism that your father had shown doesn't mean that you could make use of me to get information from Irene unnie or to fire your brother once you have inherited the company. You are capable, Jisoo, everyone sees that. But, power isn't the way to show how capable you are to your father."

"You are not me. You don't know how I felt growing up. My mom is my father's second wife. She is a legal mistress but I am still a mistress' child. No matter how hard I try, my brother is the one that gets all the recognition and praise from everyone. He gets to be the second in command right after college. I had to work my way up to be where I am! I work harder than him. He sits back to boss people around and throws all his projects to me. I deserve more than this. I deserve to have the company!"

Jennie walks away, back facing Jisoo, not satisfied with the answer.

"I want the company..." Jisoo voices out with clear conviction. She then confesses in a softer tone, "but I want you too."

Jennie almost breaks down when she manages to hear that soft confession. However, Jisoo's hunger for power makes Jennie feel scared. What else can Jisoo do? She loves the other but she doesn't want to be used or to be kicked aside once she has no value to Jisoo. Looking at how the older woman wants the company so badly, Jennie is still firm on her decision that the other have to make a choice. She wipes her tears before turning to face the other, giving the final ultimatum.

"You can only have one. Me or the company."

After how much Jisoo has explained, she couldn't believe that Jennie doesn't understand her. She is unable to make a decision. Instead, she turns around to leave, slamming the door shut in the process.

-----------------

A/N pt 2: After all the fluff for the past 7 chapters, finally an unexpected and long-awaited turning point. Somewhat unresolved conflict but not a sad chapter right *inserts a half-smile, looking unsure emoji*. Bye, seeya in the next chapter!