Cloud 9

Meet Me at the Call Room

An omelet. A ing omelet.

This is...this is probably the most on-brand thing he has done to me.

My heart is pounding.

 

I jump up and down in the call room. Holy . Holy ing .

I read the ketchup-y writing again word by word.

I. like. you. too.

I gasp and cover my mouth.

“I can’t believe this is happening!” I say to myself. 

 

I grab my phone to text Kyungsoo.

Wait, no.

“Should I wait for him? I should just wait for him.”

I take a seat to try to calm myself down.

“I like you too.” I keep staring at the damn omelet.

“I want to eat it. I’m starving.” My stomach growls. “Okay, I’m eating it.”

I take a picture of it first before eating. It’s not everyday your dream guy confesses through an omelet.

The omelet was so so good. How can Kyungsoo make something so simple yet so...divine? I fell in love even more.

I first ate the part where “too” was written. “I like you” said the omelet.

I chuckle.

“You’re crazy, Kyungsoo.” It’s a weird way to confess but also so endearing. Only Kyungsoo can probably think of doing that. I was over the moon. My exhaustion from the previous night was completely wiped away.

 

I finish the omelet then I went to the ORs to try to look for Kyungsoo.

What happened to waiting, Jongin?

I scan the OR board for his name.

“Assisting surgeon...there! Doh Kyungsoo.” He’s in OR 6 for a tumor resection.

“That could take hours...” I just had to see him.

I peek through the small window on the operating room’s door. I see him.

The love of my life.

The OR lights reflect on his glasses so I can’t see his face clearly. But I know it’s him. No one else wears thick black frames in the department. His glasses are taped to his nose so they won’t fall off when he bends his head. He looks so ing cool but also so so cute.

“I wonder if he’s also stepping on a stool?” I hide a laugh under my surgical mask.

He’s not that small, Jongin.

I look at the clock. Only two hours into the surgery. I go back to the call room and force myself to sleep.

“Doh Kyungsoo!!” I shout while I curl up in fetal position being all giddy.

“Gosh, I love you so much...you’re crazy.” I put my arm behind my head.

I try to think of what to say when I see him but my exhausted eyes give way.


I wake up in a daze. I must’ve been really tired. My phone says it’s 6 PM now.

I roll around my bed to face away from the wall.

Kyungsoo’s there.

He’s sitting on a chair having coffee.

I jolt up from my bed. “Doh Kyung...ow!!” My head hit the bed frame.

Kyungsoo lets out a hearty laugh. I wouldn’t mind if he’s the one laughing at me.

“Kim Jongin...”

I walk towards him and give him a hug. The bear hug I’ve been longing to give him ever since. He was startled but hugs back. 

“Doh Kyungsoo...you’re crazy...” I say to him, close to tears.

Kyungsoo chuckles lightly. “Did you see the omelet?” he asks.

“Of course I saw it. I wouldn’t be hugging you like this if didn’t.” I reply, still not breaking the hug. “I ate the entire thing.”

“Did you like it?”

“The omelet itself? Loved it. The confession written in ketchup...”

He pushes me away lightly. “Yah! You didn’t like that? It was better than you confessing without a shirt on...” Kyungsoo teased.

I giggle. “I loved it. So so much. It was very you.

We hold hands. I dreamed of this moment for years, and I can’t believe it’s finally happening.

We smile at each other. Those damn heart shaped lips making the best smile in the world.

“Can I have this dance?” I ask him.

“Suddenly?” Kyungsoo replied while laughing.

I choose a song on my phone.

“We could leave the Christmas lights up ‘til January...”

“A Taylor Swift song? What a romantic...” he’s teasing me. I blush.

He puts his hands around my waist and places his head on the crook of my neck. I place my hands on his waist. We close our eyes and start swaying to the song.

“Have I known you 20 seconds or 20 years?”

This moment. Just me and Kyungsoo. In our hospital-issued scrubs. In the middle of this dingy call room. Our own world.

“Can I go where you go?

Can we always be this close?”

It was pure bliss.  

“Forever and ever

Take me out, and take me home”

I start whispering the song to him.

“You’re my, my, my, my...”

He whispers it back.

 “...lover.”

*BEEP BEEP BEEP* Reality bites. It was Kyungsoo’s pager.

“Ah...” we break away from the trance.

“I’m sorry. You should go home, Jongin. Get some rest. I’ll call you later.”

“Don’t leave me...” I say to him with a pouty face.

“You’re too cute.” He pinches my cheeks. “I’m sorry, Jongin. Duty calls...” he says with a sigh.

Kyungsoo grabs his white coat and heads towards the door.

“I love you!” I shout at him.

“I love you too.” he replies while smiling.


I went home and threw myself on my bed. I wrap myself in my blanket. It was warm and cozy, just like Kyungsoo’s embrace.

“So, that means we’re together now, right?” I ask myself.

Oh , I forgot to ask him that. I just wanted to make sure this this wasn’t a dream.

I open Kyungsoo’s Facebook profile. As any person with a huge crush would, I’d look at pictures of him from time to time.

The class presentations. The time he sang for an event in school. I stumble upon a picture of him and his friend during our graduation where I was accidentally caught in the background.

Who knew, Kyungsoo?

I definitely didn’t. I couldn’t even talk to him in med school.

An hour had passed when I heard the doorbell. I wasn’t expecting anyone.

My heart jumped when I opened the door and see Kyungsoo.

“What are you doing here?!” I ask.

“I’m going to have dinner with my boyfriend.” He lets himself in.

My boyfriend. My. boyfriend. Did that answer your question, Jongin?

I was so caught off guard I couldn’t say anything. My mouth was hanging open, too.

“I bought pork belly, with all the side dishes. I hope you have rice though!” He takes out the containers from the plastic bag he was carrying. “Yah! What are you doing? Close the door...” he tells me while laughing.

“Uh, yeah...I have rice.” I close the front door and get the rice from a cupboard. “So, uh...is this a date?” I ask him.

“Do you want it to be a date?”

Inner Jongin just had a nosebleed. “Yes. It’s a date!”

We set the delicious spread on the table together.

We sit facing each other. We’d eat together in the hospital, but this was special since we were actually together.

“Thank you for the meal!” I shout happily. Kyungsoo look pleased.

We didn’t talk during the meal. I guess we were both hungry. Aside from the delicious food, seeing Kyungsoo eat also makes me so so happy. My boyfriend. I still can’t believe it. My boyfriend.

Kyungsoo wanted to watch anime after dinner.

We were on the couch, and I lay my head on his lap. Kyungsoo chuckles.

“You’re cute.” he says while playing with my hair.

I was looking at him while smiling. “Did you like me even before residency?”

“I did. I just couldn’t act on it because...I didn’t really have any experience in that department.”

How I wish we became together in med school.

“We wasted so much time, Kyungsoo...but I couldn’t even talk to you back then.” I say to him.

“Same here. I guess I was just too shy.”

“You just looked so...intimidating? I don’t know. Maybe I just didn’t have the guts.”

“Me? Intimidating?”

I smile shyly. “Well, you just kinda had that vibe around you. But I realize now that you’re a smol. Smol with an O.”

“Who are you calling small? I’ll break your kneecaps!”

We laugh together.

“I wish you came to me after our class performances. You watched every year, right?” Kyungsoo said.

“Hm, how did you know that? Did you hear me that one time in the callroom?”

“I did, yeah.” he said while smirking. “I heard everything, Jongin.”

I cover my face with my hands. “I’m sorry, that was so embarassing.”

“No, no...not at all.” he replies, continuing to through my hair. “I watched your performances in med school, too. When you would dance during those organization recruitment festivals. You were president of the dance society at one point, right?”

“I was.” I blushed even more because he knew that about me. “Did you know I was going to SGH for residency?”

“I didn’t, actually...I guess it was...destiny?” he smiles at me. “When they wanted to fire you...I was so scared. I didn’t want you to go.”

I can see the concern in his eyes. I became silent.

“But I knew you could do it. You just needed a little push.”

A person who believes in you. The best feeling ever.

“Are we keeping this a secret at work?”

“People are going to find out eventually, but...we’ll figure it out. Don’t worry.” he says while fixing his glasses.

“We’ll figure it out...together.” I smile at him.

“Together.” He smiles back.

“Hey, do you want to cuddle?” I ask him.

“Okay.” We shifted positions.

“Big spoon or little spoon?”

“I’ll be little spoon then. I want to see the TV.”

We lie down on our sides on the couch. Kyungsoo was in front of me, and I put an arm around his chest.

“See? You’re a smol.” I .

“Don’t make me crush your balls.” He says jokingly.

In that moment, everything just fell into place. The longing turned into warmth. The doubt into certainty.

“Is your pager off?”

“It is. Just you and I tonight.” He holds my hand wrapped around him.

Let’s just stay like this forever.