Aschegeboren (Ash-born)

Aschegeboren (Ash-born)

 

 

Once upon a time a beautiful and majestic phoenix blessed the continent Vernice and its nine kingdoms with peace and prosperity. Deep in the south, on a lonely mountain at the border of Kingdom Crimson, the divine fire bird found its permanent site and nest for its recurring life cycle. The people called it Blazing Mountain for each new life of the phoenix encased the mountain with golden-red flames.

For many hundred years the people of Vernice basked in the warmth and kindness of the phoenix in which the people of Crimson benefited most from its presence. Cheerfulness, happiness, gentleness and most of all peace could never be tarnished in this small kingdom. There was no pain, no illness and close to no sorrow. When death occurred old in age it was welcomed with open arms.

Quite the opposite was to be seen in Vernice’s middle. The Kingdom Ebony, a gloomy and mystical spot of land, was populated with pessimists and a bunch of squabblers reigned by a suspicious and green-eyed king. The Black Emperor, as he called himself, was obsessed with the phoenix on a level that he loathed the divine fire bird and wanted to see it obliterated. He craved for power more than anything else, and the dratted creature was a great hindrance in his want to reign the entity of Vernice. Among the former kings of Ebony, his direct ancestors, he was the most ruthless, devious and atrocious. For the first time of Vernice’s existence weapons were forged and people trained for combat.

With curiosity and wonder the neighbouring kingdoms watched Ebony’s military growth, anxiety spreading among their people on this exceptional progress. The Kingdom Saffron far in the northwest was the first to fall under Ebony’s sheer forces and an unknown wave of agony and despair rolled over the people of Vernice. When Saffron’s temple Goldener Phönix on top of the Sonnenschein Berge lastly gave up its peaceful resistance, an ancient prophecy fell into the Black Emperor’s hands. The few passages his scholars were able to translate fuelled his want for power even more and certified his rightful ownership over Vernice.

Quickly Emerald, northeast of Ebony, and Turquoise in the east were annexed whilst the Black Emperor had his eyes set on Blazing Mountain. The prophecy and its outlook had put him in high spirits and no one was able to stop him. Fortunately for him, unfortunately for Vernice’s people, the divine firebird far in the south had reached its most vulnerable state and thus the Black Emperor waltzed through the remaining eastern kingdoms, keeping him from Crimson, with terrible force. Ebony’s forces caused a swath of destruction from Turquoise over Lavender and Charcoal until it reached Crimson.

Desperately the people of Vernice called upon their phoenix for aid, desperately the people of Crimson tried all in their might to keep Ebony’s forces and the Black Emperor from climbing up the divine mountain. Their calls for aid were in vain. Their resistance was in vain. The ground beneath Blazing Mountain was drenched with blood and tears when the Black Emperor climbed to the top, desperate calls and whimpers echoing in the air.

Only few written records exist of what happened on top of Blazing Mountain, majority solemnising it as Ebony’s greatest triumph. The ever recurring element, however, is a blood curdling scream echoing through the entity of Vernice and an overwhelming sorrow coming over its people with the rising of the sun. The Blazing Mountain never shone in golden-red flames ever since.

And the majestic phoenix bringing peace over Vernice became just a legend.

 

*****

 

It is the year 316 in the age of Everlasting Ebony. We find ourselves in a small and peaceful village near the ancient borders of the former kingdoms Crimson and Charcoal. A little off the usual centre we find a small wooden lodge belonging to the hitherto most famous scholar of Vernice. The old man, mostly known as Mok, was of almost 60 years and regarded as an expert on Vernice’s flora and fauna and the other villagers were happy to have him among their circle. Aspiring young scholars from all over Vernice more than once asked the wise and righteous man to be their master. All their proposals were denied however for he already had a very young, talented and quite inquisitive student for about a decade. Sometimes the 16-year-old lad was quite too inquisitive and nosy for his own good he had to admit. Nevertheless he couldn’t imagine any other scholar but YunHo to entrust with the assignment the aide of the Black Emperor himself shortly before had sent to him.

A hand was buried in his greying hair, his bushy eyebrows furrowed when he read through the assignment yet again and wondered who could join the boy on this journey. Humming deeply he reached for his cup and sipped on his tea. His eyebrows furrowed a little more over the chilled beverage before he put it down. With a sigh he leaned back, arching a little to loosen his stiffened muscles and rubbed over his arthritic thighs. He’d been sitting on his knees a little longer than usual and his ageing joints weren’t the least thankful. Just when he focused on the assignment again in a more comfortable position, a clatter and thumping noises echoed through his entrance. He raised his eyes and wasn’t at all surprised when YunHo waltzed into his study room and immediately fell onto his knees.

“Pardon, Master. I’ve been deeper in the forest than I intended and caused HyunAe inconvenience. I hurried back once she delivered your message.” Breathless after his flood of words, YunHo lingered in his position with his head touching the ground to offer an apology. A soft smile played over the old man’s lips when his gaze lingered on the back of YunHo’s head. Quietly HyunAe shuffled into the study room and brought a new set of warm tea. With a curt nod he acknowledged his housekeeper’s mindfulness and addressed the boy to his feet once she had closed the sliding door.

“Sit up, YunHo. I’ve got something important to discuss with you.” YunHo immediately rose to his knees, his back straightened and hands lingering on his thighs when he looked at him. A curious glint in his brown eyes put lie to his stern expression and the old man smiled softly at the obvious excitement. Shaking his head with an amused chuckle he reached for the assignment and deliberately ignored the furrow of YunHo’s eyebrows.

“You see, just recently I received a letter from the aide of the emperor.” YunHo’s eyebrows rose at that and his steadfast gaze was disrupted by heavy blinking. He continued without giving YunHo the chance to comment, “With this he assigns me to categorise and index the entity of Vernice’s flora and fauna.” At the sharp intake of breath he raised his eyes to look at YunHo. A soft crimson had coloured his cheeks and his hands had balled into fists. “This for sure will be a time consuming and physically demanding mission.” He cast another short glance at YunHo and noticed his furrowed eyebrows. Patiently he waited for the lad to bring forward his obvious concerns.

The 16-year-old fidgeted on his knees nervously, chewing on his bottom lip before he had the courage to look the older in the eye and voice his worries, “But Master,” Mok had to smile at his timid voice and encouraged YunHo to continue with a of his head. A subtle hue of red spread once more over YunHo’s cheeks. “Please forgive my bluntness, but with your current condition it would be fatal if-”

“If I accepted this assignment, I know.” He got hold of his cane and gently rubbed over his arthritic limbs. YunHo fell silent immediately. He smiled at the boy. “I certainly am not in my best condition to accept this mission, but, as you surely are aware, one does not simply decline an imperial assignment.”

A scowl crossed YunHo’s face. “Certainly not.”

“Well, this brings me to you.” YunHo looked at him astonished. “Of course I didn’t call you over and had you interrupt your work for nothing. You’re a very talented young man and have a formidable readiness of mind which is a very useful gift for our field of study.”

YunHo’s mouth fell slightly open and his eyes opened wide when he understood. “Master! Are you – You want me to?” He stared at the old man in disbelief.

With a fond smile Mok simply nodded. “Correct. Of course I will help you with the necessary documents and proper preparations for this mission, but yes, I entrust you with it. Do you think that you can handle this assignment?”

YunHo tumbled onto the table, his cheeks coloured in excitement and eyes shining when he leaned onto it. “Yes! I will not disappoint you, Master!”

A hearty laughter erupted from the older’s lips. “I very much hope so.” With an embarrassed smile YunHo sank back onto his knees and swallowed at the stern expression crossing the other’s face. “I also hope that you are conscious of the danger it might bring when you snoop around things being considered as prohibited.”

YunHo bit onto his bottom lip and lowered his head. He fiddled with his fingers nervously whilst meekly assuring, “I will bear it in mind.”

Satisfied Mok nodded. “Good. Now give an old man a leg-up.” YunHo did immediately as told and helped Mok to stand up. Slowly they made their way through the study room and out into the entrance hall. “I’ll reply to the aide instantly and will offer you as my substitute. In the meantime we will discuss everything in detail tomorrow.”

“Of course, Master. When shall I come over?” YunHo asked when he slid open the main entrance and stepped through.

“The rising of the sun seems to be perfect. I will have HyunAe prepare breakfast for you as well.” He followed YunHo a step outside and was startled a little when he became aware of a black haired youth sitting next to his entrance. A pair of keen brown eyes fell onto him and a wide smile spread over the youth’s lips when he as well became aware of him and YunHo. “Ah, good afternoon, JaeJoong.”

The black haired rose to his feet, a bundle of parchments pressed to his chest, and took a bow in greeting.

“Did you join YunHo in the woods again?” The 16-year-old lowered his head with a meek smile and held his parchments in a shielding manner over his abdomen. Mok laughed heartily at his and YunHo’s meek responses of being caught red-handed. “Oh don’t look at me like that. I don’t really mind if he joins you.”

YunHo smiled relieved. “I’m glad.” JaeJoong as well seemed to relax a little.

The old scholar chuckled a little whilst looking at the two known childhood friends by turns. His eyes fell onto the bundle of parchments in JaeJoong’s hands and his fingers covered in graphite. He caught his breath when he got a glimpse of the top parchment. “May I take a look at that?”

JaeJoong blinked confused and cocked his head. He shot YunHo a tentative glance, his eyebrows furrowed, and pressed his parchments closer to his body.

YunHo shrugged his shoulders. “Do you mean his sketches?” he asked after a while and looked at his master.

The old man nodded. “Only if he doesn’t mind, of course.” He smiled warmly at the 16-year-old who glanced at him and his parchments uneasily by turns.

JaeJoong chewed on his bottom lip in thought and subconsciously shifted from one foot to another. He glanced at the old master of his friend only to shoot YunHo an imploring gaze.

Said one only raised his hands in defence, “Don’t look at me like that. I can’t make that decision for you.”

A scowl crossed JaeJoong’s features at YunHo’s blunt refusal to help him and he huffed at the mocking grin on his friend’s face. He stared down onto his sketches and heaved a deep breath. His hands were shaking a little when he held out the bundle of parchments.

Carefully the old man got hold of the sketches with a word of gratitude and indulged into the fine graphite lines enfolding before his eyes one by one. Astonished he flipped through the parchments containing a handful of detailed sketches of local animals and plants. “Astounding,” he breathed when he came across a very lively sketch of a tiger keelback.

“They’re pretty good, aren’t they?” YunHo commented with a cheeky grin and earned himself a punch onto his arm from JaeJoong. He glared at him with reddened cheeks.

“They’re indeed outstanding.” Mok handed the bundle back to JaeJoong who immediately pressed them tightly to his chest. He smiled at the lad’s obvious abashment. “Why don’t you join YunHo and me for breakfast tomorrow? I’d like to submit a proposal.”

JaeJoong cocked his head in wonder and blinked at the sudden invitation. He flinched at YunHo’s outcry, “Really?!”

The old scholar laughed. “That entirely depends on JaeJoong.” Said one was very confused and stayed puzzled on his way home when YunHo wouldn’t give in to his nagging nudges.

 

*****

 

A week passed with hurried preparations for the upcoming journey and a quick introduction into the field of flora and fauna for JaeJoong. To Master Mok’s delight the boy had agreed to join YunHo on this mission.

On the rise of an already tepid morning, YunHo and JaeJoong entered fully packed the small lodge of YunHo’s master. YunHo was called into the study room while HyunAe led JaeJoong to the kitchen to get a hold of their provisions. He stored the neatly packed servings in his jute shoulder bag near the new stock of parchments his father had crafted for him.

Meanwhile YunHo kneeled before his master and listened attentively to his ever occurring explanations. “As I mentioned, it will be best if you go for the temples first before exploring the regions and their respective flora and fauna. They will be able to help you with their archive and, even more important, might offer you a perfect accommodation for a while.” He paused to take a sip of his tea and watched YunHo by studying his map. He followed the trace of YunHo’s finger and put down his cup. “There’s no need to travel to Town Crimson.”

Baffled YunHo looked up. “Are you sure?”

He nodded. “Of course. All you need about Crimson is stocked in my archive, so you can fully concentrate on the other regions. It’s best if you start with the white temple, Shiroi Otera, hidden in the depths of the white forest, Shiroi Mori.” He leaned a bit forward and traced a path on the map. “You walk through the Ashen Desert and can continue to Shiroi Mori from there. Like this you can process Charcoal’s flora and fauna.” He fell silent and stared crestfallen onto the black spot on the map that once used to be a blooming area. “That is if there is any. I honestly haven’t been there for the past sixteen years to take a look myself.”

A gloomy silence fell over them at the memory of Charcoal’s complete destruction when the Black Emperor had burned it down sixteen years ago. No one knew why he had demanded an entire landscape to be extinguished, nor if it might happen again. Nothing had survived back then. Not a single animal, plant or human being.

Sighing, the old man sat back. “I know it’s not a nice place but it surely is the fastest way. I’m pretty certain that you can reach the white temple by the end of the day after tomorrow. In this case you’d have to spend the night somewhere outside. At least once in the desert, I’m afraid, unless you travel for an entire day without rest.”

YunHo swallowed thickly at the lump the former topic had caused him and sat back as well. He took a deep breath. “We’ll give our best. I’m sure we will find shelter for the night on our way.”

Mok smiled. “I’m certain you will.” He reached for a handful of papers on his desk. “This leads me to another important topic.” He handed YunHo the imperial assignment together with a few other documents. “Make sure to always carry these with you. The original assignment and the validation that you take over this mission on my behalf, as well as the permission to travel with an assistant and the possibility to add a translating party.” Diligently YunHo folded the stack of documents and stored them together with his journal in his jute shoulder bag. The old man sighed. “I really wish I could’ve given you more time for preparations but the aide wouldn’t allow any more postponement. I really hope JaeJoong will be okay. After all I took him quite by surprise with such an imperial mission.”

YunHo chuckled and left the older baffled. “No worries. He will be quite all right.” He grinned. “He actually was pretty excited and couldn’t wait to finally get started.”

“Is that so?” Mok mumbled astonished and scraped through his greying hair. He snorted in amusement. “Well, that’s good to hear. Especially since I know that in his company you won’t do anything supposedly stupid.” He grinned when YunHo flinched.

“Master I-” He halted when the old man raised his hand.

“No need to deny it. I’m very aware of your fascination with the phoenix of the ancient legends. I just want you to be careful if you indeed give in to your curiosity on this topic. It can be dangerous after all, and you are not alone in this.”

YunHo lowered his head with a stern expression. “I’m aware of that.”

A creak caught their attention and both directed their gaze to its origin. JaeJoong had just sunk to his knees and greeted YunHo’s master with a deep bow. A small smile graced his face together with a red shimmer when he straightened on his knees.

Mok shook his head with a smile at the obvious display of excitement and got a hold of his tea. “I take it that you stored the provisions HyunAe gave you.” JaeJoong eagerly nodded and looked at YunHo. His left eyebrow raised when he cocked his head aside.

YunHo waved his hand to and fro in a dismissive manner. “Why yes, I’m done already. No need to rush me,” he muttered and folded his map. Once storing it in his bag he slid back from the table and bowed low. “Thank you, Master, for entrusting us with this mission. We won’t let you down.”

“I’m sure you won’t,” Mok replied with a fond smile when the two rose to their feet. “Well then, I won’t keep you any longer. You’ll be out and about for a while after all. Take your time for a thorough research and don’t rush it.” The two lads nodded sternly and fastened their overcoats over their shoulder bags. “Have a safe journey.”

YunHo had walked over to JaeJoong who waited at the door. They both bowed once more. “Thank you. We’ll be off.” With that they walked into the entrance hall and put on their footwear before they left the lodge and made their way northwards.

 

*

 

They unhurriedly walked for half a day through their domestic forest, a chipper melody on YunHo’s lips every now and then until they reached a stream, that functioned as a border, in the early evening. They stopped in their tracks, YunHo’s melody dying, when the fuliginous remains of Charcoal enfolded its grim entity before their eyes. An eerie silence surrounded the Ashen Desert, as it was now known, and here and there a stump stuck out that had turned into coal.

YunHo heaved a deep breath. “Well, here we go. Our first breakpoint.” He cast a glance at JaeJoong. “You ready?”

JaeJoong’s eyes lingered on the ashen ground, eyebrows furrowed a little and hands clenched on his shoulder bag.

“Jae?” Startled JaeJoong turned to look at him. “Would you rather call it a night for today and continue first thing tomorrow?” He rubbed over the nape of his neck. “I mean, we could rest well in our woods and easily restore our water supplies.” His eyes slid over to the ashen ground. With a sigh he looked at JaeJoong again. “Honestly, I rather not want to pass these lands in the night.”

Relieved JaeJoong clutched the front of his gown and nodded. Quickly they set up a light place for the night beneath a maple tree near the stream and passed the time refilling their water bottles, freshening up after their walk and eating. Huddled together against the tree they quickly fell asleep.

With the first rays of the sun they rose from their slumber and settled for a light breakfast in silence. YunHo was collecting their bags and coats when JaeJoong was still crouched over the stream and washed his face. Time and again his gaze lingered on the other side and the ashen landscape.

“Are you finished?”

Nodding slowly, he rose and dusted his clothing off before he turned around. Grinning YunHo held out his overcoat and shoulder bag for him. A small smile tucked on his lips when he was ready and with a nudge onto YunHo’s shoulder, he shoved the other forward.

YunHo kept looking at him over his shoulder. “You all right?” JaeJoong simply nodded and shoved him further towards the dead land before them. The ground was covered with a black crust and it crunched beneath their feet with every step. It strengthened an oppressive feeling enveloping them the further they made their way through the landscape with passing time and they cast their glances around in the hopeless attempt to find any form of life.

Halfway through the area that led right to Shiroi Mori, YunHo halted with a huff. “This really is depressing,” he mumbled, his eyes set on the coaly remains of a tree.

JaeJoong wandered a little further, each of his steps accompanied by a crunch. This place was drenched with sorrow and he felt pure sadness enveloping him. Anything his eyes touched with their glance hurt him in a way he couldn’t quite understand. He felt the loss of Charcoal even though he had never been there before. He turned around at the crunch behind him and stared at YunHo. The taller extracted a hand and swiftly moved a finger over his cheek.

“You’re crying,” was all he mumbled and just then he became aware of the wetness. Crestfallen he turned away and rubbed over his eyes. YunHo patted his shoulder. “We should hurry and get out of here.” JaeJoong barely nodded and sniffed into his overcoat when YunHo gently took him by his waist and dragged him further.

“Unusual to see you like this. Crying and all,” YunHo muttered and scratched his head. JaeJoong shot him a teary glare and swatted his arm away. Piqued he stomped further in hopes to leave this area fast and get rid of the melancholic feelings it was giving him.

YunHo hurried after him. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it like that,” he called out, his voice echoing through the eerie silence hanging over Charcoal. He almost crashed into JaeJoong when the smaller suddenly halted in front of a coaly stump. “What,” he wondered at JaeJoong’s awestruck expression. The smaller crouched down and brushed his hand over a cluster of black crust. YunHo crouched down next to him. “Did you see something?” he asked and cocked his head.

JaeJoong nodded curtly and lifted a handful of crust from around the stump. YunHo audibly caught his breath when a small green sprout surfaced. “Impossible,” he whispered awestruck. Gently he inspected the green leaves and eyed it from all angles. “It’s one of Charcoal’s infamous ginkgo trees. I thought I’d never see one of them.” A broad smile spread over his face when he quickly got hold of his journal and scribbled down a few hurried notes.

By then JaeJoong had already finished his sketch and looked at the sprout. His finger gently traced over one of its fragile leaves. Sudden relief flooded his senses and caused a fond smile to brighten his features.

 

*

 

Lighthearted after their discovery they quickly had wandered through Charcoal’s landscape and had reached Ivory’s forest Shiroi Mori by the end of the day. The thick forest consisted mostly of umbrella-pines typical for Ivory’s landscape.

They spent the second night and most of the next day in the thicket and explored the area with its many ferns and insects attentively. Throughout their walk chirping was echoing above their heads and a breeze rushed through the leafy canopy. Time and again YunHo used his map for guidance to not get lost in the thick forest, though with advancing time and darkness he had trouble to read it. He squinted his eyes to get a closer look on it when the last rays of the sun were slowly but surely slipping past the forest.

Whilst he was turning to all cardinal points one at a time to make sure of their surroundings, JaeJoong was crouched over a shrub and sketched a yellow-black legged spider YunHo had explained to be a Jorō-gumo. The oncoming darkness was only a small hindrance to his eyes.

“Hm, I think,” YunHo muttered whilst looking at his map and westwards by turns. He nodded with a pleased grin. “Yes, that’s it. JaeJoong!”

Immediately said one looked up. His eyes followed YunHo’s outstretched arm westwards.

“There’s a path somewhere over there that leads directly to the white temple.” JaeJoong cocked his head and stared at the direction with furrowed eyebrows.

YunHo rolled his eyes. “No need to be sceptical, okay? If we reach this path I’m pretty certain that we will get to the temple in about an hour or two.” He walked over to JaeJoong and stood behind him. JaeJoong looked up into his grinning face with a scowl when he nudged his back with his knee. “Come on. The sooner we get there the faster we might be able to grab a nice meal.”

It was JaeJoong’s time to roll his eyes. Shaking his head at YunHo’s antics he gathered his sketching utensils and stored them in his shoulder bag before he rose to his feet. He punched YunHo’s upper arm lightly when the taller didn’t stop grinning at him and shoved him westwards through the forest.

YunHo chuckled which only caused JaeJoong to shove him harder. “Okay, okay. I’ll stop,” he gave in with a laugh whilst they continued on their way. It wasn’t much longer that the undergrowth cleared before their eyes and gave way for a sandy path illuminated by the rising moon.

“Ah, there it is!” YunHo exclaimed excitedly and jumped out of the thicket in a single bound. JaeJoong followed after him more calmly and shook his head with an amused smile. The night had embraced the forest, the only light leading YunHo and JaeJoong the way being cast by the moon and a few twinkling stars above their heads. Here and there cicadas chirred, owls hooted and distant yowls of a wolf heralded the end of the day.

“Just like home,” YunHo whispered with a content smile and took a deep breath. He glanced over at JaeJoong to seek affirmation and stopped short at the latter’s completely spaced out features directed at the stars. His lips were slightly parted, wide eyes focused and he could see a red shimmer on his cheeks illuminated by the moon. It was a well known sight to YunHo. He followed JaeJoong’s line of vision and smiled to himself when he indeed found the constellation of the phoenix twinkling bright on the night sky.

He watched JaeJoong a little longer in the moonlight before he called out to him, “JaeJoong!”

Ripped from his trance JaeJoong was startled and blinked heavily when he looked over at YunHo.

Said one smiled softly at him. “We have to hurry.” JaeJoong nodded and hurried over to his side. YunHo left JaeJoong’s former trance uncommented and thus they continued their way in silence. A shimmering light appeared in the darkness with advancing time and intensified the further they followed the path.

“Must be the temple,” YunHo suggested and JaeJoong nodded in agreement. They hurried a little faster towards the light, its glow intensifying with every step. A mound enfolded before them at the end of the path, a row of torches leading to an impressive wooden building which welcomed them with a torii gate of weathered ivory colour.

In awe-stricken silence they scaled the steps leading up the small hill and passed the row of torches they had seen from the distance. Engrossed in their surroundings they didn’t notice the monk standing at the top of the mound.

“Annyeonghaseyo [Good evening].”

YunHo and JaeJoong halted in their tracks and looked at the shaven monk in an ivory cowl greeting them in perfect Ebony. “Annyeonghaseyo,” YunHo replied likewise in stiff Ebony and bowed dutifully. JaeJoong did as well.

A smile spread over the shorter man’s lips when he reciprocated the act. He moved his left arm in an inviting gesture. “Nae an-e oseyo. JongWan-hyeongjega dangsin-eul gidaligo issseubnida [Please follow me inside. Brother JongWan is expecting you].”

Baffled YunHo and JaeJoong shared a glance, both shrugging their shoulders, before they followed the invitation and climbed the hill to the top. YunHo lowered his head when he stood before the shorter monk. “Ulileul jusyeoseo gamsahabnida. Je ileum-eun YunHo-igo ijjog-eun JaeJoong-ibnida [Thank you for having us. My name is YunHo and this is JaeJoong].” JaeJoong lowered his head in greeting.

“JunSu-hyeongje ibnida [I am Brother JunSu],” the monk answered their greeting and with a soft nudge of his head he turned and led the two through a huge wooden archway adorned with a bird and hibiscus blossoms of white colour. Ancient letters of the ivory language labelled it as 白いお寺 – Shiroi Otera. “Dangsin-eun maseuteo Mog-i geuui pyeonjieseo eongeub han cheongnam-ieoyahabnida [You must be the young men Master Mok has mentioned in his letter].”

YunHo had easily closed the gap on JunSu and looked baffled at him. “Ju-in-i pyeonjileul bonaessnayo [My master sent a letter]?”

JunSu nodded. “Mullon. Geuneun dangsin-eul wihae doum-eul yocheonghaessseubnida. JongWan-hyeongjega geu munjeleul seuseulo haegyeolhal geos-ilago hwagsinhabnida [Naturally. He asked for assistance on your behalf. I’m certain though that Brother JongWan will bring the matter forth himself].”

Falling silent YunHo and JaeJoong followed JunSu through a well-tended yard framed by hibiscus trees. Somewhere in the still yard a stream was purling and the soft murmur of praying monks was echoing in the night. Once they reached the main entrance, JunSu slid the door open and paid his respect with folded hands before he took off his zoris to enter the hallway. YunHo and JaeJoong followed him suit.

“JongWan-hyeongjega keun hol-eseo gidaligo issseubnida. Geuleul delyeoda julge [Brother JongWan is waiting in the great hall. I’ll take you to him].” Not waiting for a response JunSu turned around, still smiling, and made his way through a wide hallway. They passed a sliding door on their left and a kitchen to their right until they neared the end of the hallway. A vast open hall had enfolded before them on their left and revealed a gigantic wooden statue of a majestic bird. Eyes wide open YunHo stared at the impressive embodiment of the legendary phoenix he had always found fascinating and stood still in reverent silence. JaeJoong to his right was awestruck as well.

Almost without a sound JunSu moved over the timbered floor towards the phoenix statue. An aged monk sat cross-legged to its feet and was absorbed in a prayer. JunSu knelt down next to him. “JongWan-hyoengjega, Mog-sanim-ui hagsaeng-gwa chinguga dochaghaessseubnida [Brother JongWan, Master Mok’s student and his friend have arrived],” he said softly and bowed when the older opened his eyes.

JongWan set his sharp eyes on YunHo and JaeJoong with a mild-mannered smile. “Gamsahabnida, JunSu-hyoungje. Chinjeolhago sonnim-eul-wihan jamjalileul junbihasibsio. HaeChan-hyeongje nim-i sigsaleul junbihage haejuseyo [Thank you, Brother JunSu. Be so kind and prepare a sleeping place for our guests. And let Brother HaeChan prepare a meal].”

JunSu bowed low. “Mullon [Of course].” He rose immediately after and hurried back to YunHo and JaeJoong who had not dared to enter the vast hall. “JongWan-hyeongje nim-i jigeum dangsin-eul bad-a deul-il geos-ibnida [Brother JongWan will see you now].” With a nod he stepped past them into the hallway. The pitter-patter of his feet echoed through the hallway when he made his way towards the kitchen.

A little flustered they entered and every now and then the timbered floor groaned under their steps as they neared the aged monk. With a gentle smile on his lips he gestured for them to sit down across from him.

“JongWan-hyeongje nim, ulileul jusyeoseo gamsahabnida [Thank you for having us, Brother JongWan],” YunHo replied and bowed low on his knees in gratitude and greeting. JaeJoong followed him suit. YunHo straightened. “Jeoneun YunHo-igo ijjog-eun JaeJoong-ibnida [I am YunHo and this is JaeJoong].”

JongWan lowered his head in acknowledgement. “Mannaseo bangabseubnida [Pleased to meet you].”

“Uliga keulimseun-eseo iyagihamyeon gwaenchanh-eulkkayo [Would it be all right if we talked in Crimson]?” YunHo inquired after quick consideration and looked the kind monk in the eye.

“Of course,” JongWan replied fluently as his gentle smile broadened.

A relieved smile tucked on YunHo’s lips. “That’s very kind, thank you.”

“You’re very welcome,” JongWan muttered and waved his hand slightly in a dismissive manner. “You look though as if something is bothering you.”

YunHo startled and blinked heavily. “Well, that,” he stammered and swallowed, “please forgive my bluntness, but has my master messaged you about our coming?”

“He did, indeed. He asked for assistance in your mission to categorise Vernice’s flora and fauna and for possible accommodation. You of course are more than welcome and may stay as long as it fits your purpose. Our archive is available for you and holds many records. Brother ChangMin is in charge of it and will be of assistance to you. I will introduce you in the morning.”

A little flustered YunHo could only bow again in gratitude. “Thank you so much for your generosity.” He barely registered JongWan’s gentle smile when he straightened and had his eyes immediately drawn to the impressive statue towering behind him. Its outspread wings were stretched across the entire width of the room and YunHo could make out the feathers carved into the wooden surface. Its throat was bent a bit backwards and held its head up with the delicate beak being slightly ajar. It was as if the phoenix’s long forgotten serenade was on the top of its tongue.

“I see that you and your companion are fascinated by our phoenix.”

JaeJoong and YunHo jerked at the calm statement. A subtle redness crossed both their cheeks when they looked at the monk sheepishly. YunHo’s right hand rubbed over the nape of his neck in nervous circles when he chuckled bashfully. “I know it’s frowned upon to even mention it, but I really find the ancient legends of the fire bird very intriguing.”

A hearty melodious laughter erupted from JongWan’s lips and he had to hold his chest in amusement. YunHo and JaeJoong were more than just baffled at the sheer joy and couldn’t resist a smile themselves. “Your master already mentioned that you’re confident about your fascination with the phoenix, but I didn’t expect you to be so blunt about it.” He chuckled a little more. “Just make sure to watch out when you speak so openly about it.”

YunHo bit his bottom lip. “That’s what he said as well.”

“And you better listen to him.” Albeit glancing at him with seriousness he still kept a gentle smile. His gaze darted to JaeJoong and he looked the lad over thoroughly. His keen brown eyes were trained once again on the phoenix, a crease between his eyebrows and head cocked sideways. “What’s on your mind, young friend?”

Startled JaeJoong turned to look at the monk. Shyly he bit onto his bottom lip and twiddled with his fingers. He shot YunHo a side glance who had his eyebrows furrowed in thought when JaeJoong subtly pointed at the phoenix and gestured a question mark with his finger.

JongWan observed their silent conversation attentively until YunHo seemed to grasp whatever his friend tried to tell him and caught JaeJoong nervously glancing at him before lowering his head to concentrate on his twiddling fingers.

“I hope it is not too insolent of us, but he is wondering why the phoenix is still existing here. As I recall, my master once said that all temples had to get rid of any sign of its existence when it vanished 300 years ago and that they had to rename as well. Both the temple and themselves.”

Pondering about his reply, JongWan hummed deeply. He shifted a little sideways to glance at the statue towering behind him. “Your master is right, of course. As the other temples we did change the name of our temple and opted to change our religious names as well. Others opted for more traditional and approved names for that matter. As for the phoenix, our honourable brothers fought well to keep our chosen tutelary deity. The other temples always had secondary deities next to the phoenix so they surely opted for the safer alternative, but since the beginning of time the phoenix had been the sole deity for the Kingdoms Ivory, Saffron and, as you surely know, Crimson.”

YunHo nodded. “I know. The crimson temple was destroyed in the wake of Ebony’s reign. Please forgive my bluntness, but why is yours still existing and that with a phoenix deity no less?”

“I wish I could provide you a satisfying answer, but over time it seemed to simply be of no further interest to the upcoming generations of the king. We keep our phoenix a secret outside these walls and the king keeps a blind eye to us. For now that is. We never know when his mood changes in that aspect.”

Reflecting on JongWan’s words YunHo and JaeJoong lowered their heads and were each engrossed on their thoughts. Subtle clattering echoed through the hall and a pleasant fragrance of rice and roasted fish wavered through the air. A creaking of the timbered floor signalised the arrival of another monk.

“Ah, Brother JunSu. I take it that everything is prepared?” JongWan inquired when the younger halted a few steps into the room. He lowered his head in response and had his hands buried in the depths of his wide sleeves. JongWan smiled when he turned his attention once more to YunHo and JaeJoong. “Brother JunSu will bring you to our dining hall for a warm meal and lead you to our sleeping quarters afterwards. We will continue our conversation tomorrow.”

The two bowed in gratitude. Until then they hadn’t really registered their empty stomachs nor their tired muscles.

 

*****

 

The next morning came quickly and during a light breakfast YunHo and JaeJoong got introduced to the monks residing in the temple and very closely to a young monk of 15 years by the name of ChangMin. He was as tall as YunHo, very tight-lipped and unlike his religious brothers not very fond of smiles.

Right after breakfast he led YunHo and JaeJoong to the archive nearest to a small garden and directed them to a pair of working desks before sliding open all doors facing the garden. A faint scent of old and yellowed parchment hung in the air and, the garden’s natural sound aside, it was completely still. Determined and organised he led them through the stored documents and introduced them to the storage system. Promptly JaeJoong was more drawn to the garden and grasped his utensils to follow his curiosity while YunHo trusted ChangMin on his selection of notes.

A few hours in YunHo was crouched over a stack of bound parchment and jotted down a few notes into his journal. Time and again he straightened his stiffened shoulders and let his eyes wander over to JaeJoong who was deeply immersed into the garden and his sketching.

Shuffling was audible when ChangMin moved over the tatami covered floor and brought another set of parchments and pells. His eyes followed YunHo’s line of vision. “Your companion is not a friend of much words, is he.”

YunHo turned at him blinking. “Neither are you, to be honest.” He wordlessly accepted the new documents and put them to his left.

ChangMin shrugged. “Indeed.”

YunHo ce more to look at JaeJoong who was standing beneath a hibiscus tree and was deeply engrossed with one of its blossoms. “He cannot speak,” was his only response when he focused once more on the record of Ivory’s flora dated a century back.

Taken aback ChangMin blinked at JaeJoong’s back. “Cannot as in he didn’t learn to? He is able to listen though I noticed.”

YunHo shook his head lightly. “It’s got nothing to do with hearing or learning. He simply can’t because he is voiceless.”

Silence came over them in which only the subtle scratching of YunHo’s quill was audible. “Are you serious?”

YunHo looked up at the notch in ChangMin’s voice and stared into the other’s widened eyes. He furrowed his eyebrows. “What do you mean?”

It was ChangMin’s turn to look baffled at YunHo. “You can’t be- Don’t tell me you travel through Ebony’s reigns even though your friend is voiceless?”

YunHo cocked his head. “I don’t understand what you mean.”

Grumbling ChangMin buried his face in his hands in frustration. Several minutes of confusion for YunHo went by before ChangMin crouched down next to him. “The voiceless are not safe around Vernice, these days. You surely must have heard about that?”

Eyebrows furrowed in concern YunHo pondered for a moment before shaking his head. “I can’t recall hearing any of this. I am sure if my master had known of it, he wouldn’t have asked JaeJoong to join me.”

Sighing ChangMin leaned onto the desk. “That’s not good. It will get dangerous once you just cross the borders of Great Ebony.”

“Why is it that much of a problem that JaeJoong can’t speak?”

ChangMin glanced at him and registered genuine concern in YunHo’s features. He leaned back in deep thought. “Well, I’m not certain of why the voiceless are targeted by the king. Rumour has it though that the voiceless are connected to the king’s future doom in some ancient prophecy. Brother JongWan was awfully tight-lipped when I once asked him about it though,” he mumbled and cocked his head a little. He quickly got to his feet when he became aware of YunHo’s expression. “Well, this is all just a rumour. Better not think too much about it.” He scattered back to collect a few more documents with a red shimmer on his cheeks.

YunHo was left behind engrossed in his thoughts. “A prophecy,” he mumbled to himself and stared down onto his journal with the quill resting innocently on top.

 

*

 

Swiftly JaeJoong moved his graphite pencil over a parchment, a soft scratching accompanying every line he added to the sketch. Accurately he brought every detail of a musk beetle with a bluish shimmer on paper and was so caught up with it that he didn’t notice any attempt of a monk time and again trying to address him, both in the ivory and crimson language.

His legs were slightly shaking from squatting and his back was already stiff from staying in that position for what seemed to be hours. When his empty stomach rumbled he realized that he needed a break. Swaying a little from side to side he stood up, straightening his maltreated back and limbs while making sure to not let his sketching utensils drop.

He turned around and let his eyes wander to the open archive. He found YunHo still crouched over a stack of pell and bound parchments. With a light prickling in his right foot he slowly walked over to the timbered patio. He slipped out of the temple’s zoris, massaging his right foot to stimulate its circulation, before going inside. Carefully he moved over to YunHo who was still engrossed with the documents and attentively took notes in his journal and silently crouched down next to him. Out of curiosity he got hold of a pell in front of him and skimmed through the documented records. He didn’t quite understand the ivory written language but by the sketched outlines it seemed to be about a wolf species typical for Ivory.

“Are you hungry as well?”

Surprised JaeJoong let the pell drop onto the desk and looked puzzled at YunHo who leaned onto his left arm and looked right back at him.

“What? You think I didn’t notice when you came in?” He grinned at JaeJoong who snorted with a smile and slightly slapped YunHo’s knee. Both turned their heads when the sliding door of the archive opened.

ChangMin blinked at them and cocked his head. “Seems like the two of you are now addressable.” They cocked their heads at him. “Brother JongWan would like to see you in the phoenix hall. Your lunch will be served there as well.” Without another word he left the archive and slowly made his way into the hallway. YunHo and JaeJoong got up and followed him suit.

ChangMin excused himself and went into the kitchen whilst the two continued their way to the great phoenix hall. JongWan was already waiting for them, a small table in front of him with a handful of bowls filled with steaming food and two sets of chopsticks on top. He was reading a small book of poems and looked up when he became aware of their presence. With a gentle smile he gestured them to sit down. YunHo thanked him and both started eating right away.

“I’m glad to hear that our archive is of good use to you,” JongWan muttered in between the clattering of their bowls and chopsticks.

YunHo swallowed a serving of rice. “Yes, the records in your archive are really helpful. Thanks again for letting me use them.”

JongWan laughed softly. “You are very welcome. If there is anything you want to know, just ask.”

YunHo nodded and continued eating. Lost in his thoughts he sipped on his miso soup. Chewing on a serving of rice JaeJoong glanced at him with furrowed eyebrows whilst ChangMin carefully carried a tray inside. Empty cups and a teapot were softly rattling with each step.

YunHo raised his head. “Excuse me, Brother JongWan.” The old monk hummed in response when ChangMin put down the tray onto the floor and filled the cups one by one. “Brother ChangMin mentioned a prophecy. Can you tell me about it?”

ChangMin halted in his every movement to put a steaming cup in front of JongWan, his cheeks colouring softly at the glance the older monk was eyeing him with whilst accepting his tea. “Did he now?”

ChangMin knelt down and lowered his head. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have-”

The older monk shook his head with an amused smile. “No worries. I’m not really surprised that you shared your theories with a fellow scholar.” ChangMin fell silent and bashfully continued to serve the tea. YunHo didn’t dare to press any further and continued to eat his rice.

Sighing JongWan leaned a bit back and sipped on his tea. “Written records mention a prophecy dated back to the ancient legend of the phoenix and its disappearance. Certainly you are familiar with this legend?”

YunHo swallowed. “I am, yes.” He put down his chopsticks and listened attentively to JongWan’s words. The monk glanced at JaeJoong who had stopped eating as well to sip on his tea.

“Are you familiar with it as well?” JaeJoong nodded and put down his cup. JongWan hummed in thought and shifted into a more comfortable position. He folded his arms over his chest and let his eyes wander from YunHo to JaeJoong and back with a side glance to ChangMin.

“You need to know that the topic of the prophecy and the phoenix in itself is a dangerous field. Be careful where and with whom you share it.” The three young men nodded whilst listening attentively. Satisfied JongWan curtly nodded before he continued, “We have records in our archive that link the disappearance of the phoenix, Ebony’s forceful takeover and the prophecy together. None of them have a full record of the actual prophecy or where to find it, but all mention the existence of a passage that declares the Kingdom Ebony as Vernice’s owner and the legendary phoenix vanishing from Blazing Mountain. Rumour has it that sixteen years ago the former Kingdom Charcoal fell victim to this prophecy as well when the current king became aware of the prophecy’s existence.”

JaeJoong’s head drooped at the mention of the extinguished kingdom and the melancholic feelings, enveloping him back when he and YunHo had entered the ashen remains, clutched on his heart once again.

“Isn’t the pursuit of the voiceless connected to the prophecy as well?” ChangMin fell silent when JongWan shot him a stern glare. JaeJoong jerked from his melancholic thoughts and stared at them with parted lips.

“I really need to tell Brother DongHae to stop discussing these things with you.”

“Is it true though?” YunHo interrupted the beginning quarrel impetuously. His eyebrows were furrowed and hands balled into fists in anticipation.

A little taken aback JongWan blinked at him and grumbled under his breath. He closed his eyes and sighed to clear his thoughts. A few minutes passed before he took a deep breath and looked YunHo in the eye. “It might. Brothers from the turquoise temple once mentioned it many years ago. It is rumoured that a voiceless will bring doom over the Black Emperor. Naturally he wants them all gone.”

YunHo’s fists tightened, his lips pressed together and teeth gritted. A side glance displayed a JaeJoong that had gone rigid and somewhat pale at the revelation.

“You didn’t know.” YunHo could only shake his head at JongWan’s declaration. “And now you’re worried about your friend.”

Sighing heavily YunHo buried his face in his hands. Gently a hand brushed over his knee and shaking fingers gripped onto his gown. His gaze turned to JaeJoong who’s eyebrows were furrowed in concern. He took JaeJoong’s hand into his own. “Maybe you should go back. I couldn’t bear it if something happened to you.” Chewing on his bottom lip JaeJoong shook his head.

YunHo furrowed his eyebrows. “Don’t even try. I won’t let this mission endanger your life. You will go back to Master Mok and your parents.”

JaeJoong’s grip on his hand only tightened when he shook his head vehemently.

“Damn it, JaeJoong! This is no time to be stubborn! You could get bloody killed!” YunHo’s chest was heaving from his outburst, his face reddened in fury and tears of frustration had gathered in the corners of his eyes. Defiant JaeJoong turned from YunHo, arms crossed over his chest and flushed cheeks puffed.

Astonished JongWan and ChangMin had watched them. Tentatively ChangMin raised his right hand to calm the situation. “I-I don’t want to cause any more trouble but there might be something.” He fell silent when YunHo glared at him.

JongWan pondered about ChangMin’s hesitant suggestion. “Ah! You mean the vow of silence.” Immediately he gained everyone’s attention.

“Yes!” ChangMin exclaimed excitedly. “If JaeJoong-san is so determined to follow YunHo-san, it might be the only safe option he has.”

JaeJoong’s face lit at that. YunHo however was anything but happy. “What makes you think he is any safer with the vow?”

ChangMin grinned. “Well, for one, it’s the only form of voicelessness that is still legit all over Vernice. Second, even the king can’t oppose this ancient tradition. He added restrictions, yes, but he can’t get rid of it.”

Pondering over ChangMin’s words YunHo looked uneasily over his shoulder. JaeJoong was eagerly listening and fidgeting on his knees.

“I believe your companion is eager to hear more about it,” JongWan chuckled a little amused and YunHo could do nothing but sigh.

“Seems just like it.” He looked at JaeJoong sternly who immediately sat still and looked right back at him. The smaller couldn’t suppress the smile tucking on his lips nor his cheeks flushing from excitement. “You really won’t give in, will you?” Grinning JaeJoong shook his head. YunHo smiled as well. “All right. Do whatever you want.” JaeJoong pounced on him and wrapped his arms tightly around his shoulders.

“Say, Brother ChangMin,” the young monk hummed in response when he looked at JongWan, “why don’t you join these two on their mission?”

ChangMin’s eyes widened and YunHo and JaeJoong likewise stared flabbergasted at the older monk. “Are you sure, Brother JongWan?” Said one nodded with a gentle smile. ChangMin furrowed his eyebrows. “But I’m not old enough to go on a pilgrimage yet. Shouldn’t a much wiser and older Brother join them?”

JongWan laughed softly. “How unusual of you to sing small.” ChangMin blushed. “I could indeed ask another Brother, but your broad knowledge of seven of the nine ancient languages of Vernice is of much better use than Brother DongHae’s knowledge of herbage or Brother KiBum’s of wickerwork. Besides, travelling with these two young men will be a great experience for a monk so young.”

Thus YunHo and JaeJoong gained a new companion on their mission to categorise and index Vernice’s flora and fauna. (And maybe a chance to gather more information about this ominous prophecy.)

 

*****

 

YunHo and JaeJoong stayed a few more days in the white temple to collect as much information on Ivory’s and Charcoal’s landscape and thoroughly spent a lot of time with their new companion ChangMin. The younger made very sure to explain JaeJoong his appearance as a monk living under the vow of silence. Thus JaeJoong’s black hair had to be shortened drastically and his gown matched to one of a Brother from Crimson on pilgrimage with a lotus symbol to indicate said vow.

YunHo was still a little uncertain with JaeJoong’s disguise but at the same time thankful that his friend would still join him on this journey. Having ChangMin with them as well eased his tension. And thus came the day of their departure from the white temple.

Packed up with provisions they made their way eastwards to the former Kingdom Lavender with the rising of the sun. The white forest ranged over the ancient borders of the two kingdoms Ivory and Lavender and thus Lavender’s landscape became of interest to YunHo once they left the thick forest behind them after a span of three days and followed a trade route through a handful of farmed fields.

Time and again they had to stop for YunHo to take notes on the plants and animals he encountered and for JaeJoong to quickly sketch an interesting object. In the meantime ChangMin would keep an eye on their surroundings, the position of the sun and look for possible accommodations for the night.

“If we keep our pace like that we won’t reach Town Lavender before another three or four days. I’d even say a week.”

Crouched over a thorny shrub YunHo didn’t look up from his notes when he replied, “You’re awfully hasty, you know. If it’s such a bore to wait for me and JaeJoong to collect our notes and sketches you just might as well join.” He stopped taking notes for a moment to rummage in his shoulder bag before he handed ChangMin a parchment and a spare quill. ChangMin raised an eyebrow. “If I’m not mistaken the field behind you consists of lilac delphinium. Be so kind and note down any characteristics.”

Baffled ChangMin got hold of the utensils YunHo held out to him. “You sure are rigorous and precise.”

“Indeed.”

Shrugging ChangMin turned to the flower field and got down to business. A few minutes in, YunHo’s shadow fell over his notes when he came over.

The older hummed. “Be so kind and write a little more legible.”

Irritated ChangMin looked up into his grinning face. “My handwriting is neat, thank you very much. I can just as well not help you at all.”

Laughing YunHo waved his hands. “No, no. I really appreciate your help.” He looked around with furrowed eyebrows. “Have you seen JaeJoong by the way?”

ChangMin rose from his crouching position. “Last time I saw him he went that way.” He pointed to a narrow trail between two farmed fields a little off their side. “Guess he went to the river that should be somewhere behind the crops.”

Without another word they followed the mentioned trail and reached a peaceful riverside shortly after. Looking for JaeJoong they turned up and down the river and scanned the entire area.

“Ah! There he is,” YunHo exclaimed when he found JaeJoong sitting beneath a tree. By the looks of its pastel blossoms it seemed to be an apple tree. Laughing softly he shook his head when he neared his friend. “Can you believe it? He’s actually fallen asleep.”

Perplexed ChangMin followed YunHo and indeed found the older youth slumbering without a care. Steadily his chest moved up and down, his head tilted a little to the right with his eyes shut tightly. His hands were folded over his parchments in his lap and the graphite pencil was still resting between his fingers.

YunHo crouched down. “JaeJoong,” he called out softly and gently nudged his shoulder. JaeJoong’s eyebrows furrowed, a gurgling sound passing his lips when he shifted his head to the left and simply continued to sleep. “Oi, wake up!” YunHo nudged his shoulder a little harder.

JaeJoong’s eyelids fluttered when he peered sleepily at YunHo. He hid a voiceless yawn behind his right hand whilst rubbing his eyes with his left.

YunHo poked his forehead lightly. “Don’t just fall asleep like that when neither of us is around. You know that we can’t hear you if something was to happen to you.”

Pouting JaeJoong swatted YunHo’s hand away and rubbed his forehead. Stifling another yawn he nodded before he struggled to his feet. Grinning YunHo ruffled through his cropped hair.

Silently ChangMin watched the scene with a raised eyebrow. “I thought you can’t speak?” JaeJoong turned towards him and cocked his head. “Well, that sound you made before.” Confused JaeJoong furrowed his eyebrows. A soft blush crept over his cheeks when he realized and waved about his hands before he hastily collected his dropped utensils.

“Don’t mind him. He’s just embarrassed of the sounds,” YunHo explained when JaeJoong hurried over to the river where he last had left his overcoat. “To answer your question though, the sound doesn’t have anything to do with his ability to speak. Or lack thereof. Auntie,” he halted a moment, “his mother I mean, always said that he wouldn’t even cry properly as a baby but make gurgling sounds instead.” He shrugged. “It actually never mattered to anyone in our village whether he could speak or was adopted. He always spread joy wherever he was going.” He smiled when JaeJoong waved grinning at them and gestured eastwards. “Well, let’s continue our way along the river for a change.” Lost for words ChangMin barely nodded and ambled after the energetic duo.

The sun was already way past its peak when they decided to rest for a moment. In the distance they could make out a range of mountains on the other side of the river when they sat on the grass and ate their rice balls.

“This should be Syrinbjerge if I’m not mistaken,” ChangMin muttered and pointed at the towering range of mountains.

“Syrin- what again?” YunHo asked confused before he took another bite and rummaged through his shoulder bag.

ChangMin swallowed. “Syrinbjerge. It’s the lavender term for Lilac Mountains. This range of mountains used to be a natural border between the kingdoms Lavender and Ebony. The ebony pendant would be Jajusaek-san mostly because of the submontane lilac blossoming on both sides.”

YunHo quickly scribbled down a few notes during ChangMin’s explanation whilst JaeJoong listened attentively with his eyes focused on said mountains. A distant neighing reached their ears together with thudding gallop and caught their attention when it came closer. A figure drew nearer fast and when they recognized a horseman they quickly jumped to their feet.

Snorting a puce horse came to a halt in front of them, prancing restlessly from one side to the other whilst its rider drew the reins to calm it down. A proud figure towered the impressive stallion, long light brown hair tied back and sharp green eyes were staring down at them. On closer examination the rider turned out to be a young woman.

“Hvem er du?” she asked with her eyebrows furrowed in suspicion.

YunHo and JaeJoong looked puzzled at her and lifted their hands in defence. ChangMin stepped forward. “God dag,” he replied fluently and bowed. “Mit navn er Broder ChangMin. Det er YunHo,” he gestured to the older who immediately bowed when he heard his name, “og det er Broder JaeJoong.” JaeJoong folded his hands and bowed to her as well.

The young woman hummed with a raised eyebrow and curtly nodded in acknowledgement of their greeting. “Jeg er Hanne og du er i min families jord. Hvor kommer du fra, og hvad er dit ønske?”

“Jeg kommer fra det Shiroi Otera og de to kommer fra en landsby i Crimson.”

The young woman paused whilst gently rubbing her horse’s neck. “Shiroi Otera og Crimson? Så taler du Crimson, korrekt?”

ChangMin nodded. “Korrekt.”

“Then we very well can talk Crimson. It will be much easier on your companions, I believe,” she declared fluently and glanced at YunHo and JaeJoong with an assuring smile. “Unless you prefer Ebony.”

Relieved YunHo sighed. “Thank you for your thoughtfulness. Crimson will be just fine.” He bowed low with JaeJoong following the act.

“You’re welcome. Now be so kind and explain why you are here.” She hushed her horse by gently rubbing its neck when it became edgy.

“I’m on an imperial mission to categorise and index the entire flora and fauna of Vernice and these two are my companions,” YunHo explained and rummaged through his shoulder bag. “If needed I can show you the assignment I was given by the emperor’s aide.”

Hanne waved her hand dismissively. “No need to. You don’t appear to be armed, so I trust that your mission is not of military purpose. Especially since you are in company of two monks.” She turned her attention to ChangMin. “You come from the white temple led by the honourable Brother JongWan. Naturally I suppose you to be of the gracious kind.” ChangMin lowered his head in gratitude before she set her eyes onto JaeJoong. “By the look of your auburn cowl, you belong to the Crimson Brotherhood. Frankly I am not very familiar with your kind, but considering the lotus on your chest I assume you are of calming nature. At least the sisters I know of our Sisterhood under the vow of silence are.” With a bashful smile JaeJoong lowered his head. “I assume you are on your way to Town Lavender and the purple temple.”

YunHo nodded. “Yes. We’d like to restock our supplies in town and rest. Our main focus lies on the purple temple though.”

“You could reach the purple temple in two days from now if you don’t travel to Town Lavender first. Reaching it will cost you at least four days, especially since you are on foot.” An objection lay on YunHo’s lips but she only waved it off. “Don’t worry about your supplies. My family can provide you with accommodation and enough food for quarter the price it would cost you in town.”

“That’s very generous of you, thank you.” The trio bowed in gratitude.

“You are welcome. I’m afraid though that we won’t reach my family’s house before tomorrow. Our land is quite amble.”

YunHo waved it off smiling. “That’s no problem. If possible I’d like to ask you a few things about your beautiful stallion and this landscape.”

Hanne laughed softly. “Be my guest.” She slipped from her horse and took the reins. “If you’d just follow me.” She led them along the river with YunHo following after her with his journal and quill in hand.

ChangMin and JaeJoong ambled after them in silence. JaeJoong got hold of some parchment and his graphite pencil and scribbled something whilst walking. Biting his bottom lip he tapped ChangMin’s shoulder.

The taller hummed when he turned to look at him. “What’s the matter?” ChangMin raised an eyebrow when JaeJoong tentatively shoved the parchment his way. Blinking he got hold of it and looked at the fine lines of JaeJoong’s neat handwriting.

“Oh, that. She wanted to know who we are and what we are doing here. I introduced us and told her, that we’re from the white temple Shiroi Otera and Crimson. That’s all there is to it, to be honest,” ChangMin explained and handed JaeJoong the parchment back. “Her name is Hanne, by the way.”

JaeJoong’s face lit in understanding and he thanked ChangMin with a curt nod of his head and a small smile.

With advancing time the group closed in on the Syrinbjerge and prepared their place for the night under the covers of apple trees.

 

*

 

With the beginning of the next day they quickly continued on their journey. Leaving the impressive range of mountains behind them, they reached the property of Hanne’s family by afternoon.

The 19-year-old woman left her stallion in the care of a stable boy and led the trio inside her family’s house. Her mother greeted them warmly in a great living room that was so differently furnished compared to their own homes.

After a round of introductions, YunHo, ChangMin and JaeJoong bowed on their knees. “Hanne was so kind to offer us accommodation. We are very thankful for your hospitality,” YunHo declared when they all rose.

“You and your companions are more than welcome,” the aged woman replied before she turned to a little girl of barely ten years. “YoonAh, vær så god og tag hende til værelset.”

YoonAh nodded. “Ja.” She hurried over to the trio. “Follow, please,” she muttered a little clumsy and stepped into the hallway. With a word of gratitude they followed after her and grasped a little of a discussion enfolding between Hanne and her mother.

“Hanne, hvor mange gange skal jeg fortælle dig, det du ikke bør bruge dette navn udenfor? Og derefter foran fremmede!”

“Mit navn er Hanne og ikke HanEul!”

“Vent, Hanne! Kom tilbage. Hanne!!”

Hanne stormed into the hallway and quickly dashed into the other direction of their own destination. Without a word YoonAh led them to a spare room. “Will prepare bedding. Toilet there,” she explained and pointed at the end of the hallway before she left them to themselves with a small bow.

Once she had closed the door behind her, YunHo turned to ChangMin. “Did you catch their discussion? They both sounded upset. I hope it’s not because of us.”

ChangMin shook his head. “Not directly. Apparently Hanne is not very fond of her ebony name and her mother is worried about her usage of her lavender name in front of strangers.” He glanced over at JaeJoong who had already stashed his belongings on a bed and stared out of a window next to it. “I believe in her company we can actually be a little carefree as well, in that aspect.” With a small smile on his lips YunHo agreed.

 

*****

 

A few days passed in which Hanne gave especially YunHo an understanding of Lavender’s landscape and its excess of fruit-bearing trees. They were walking along the paddock when she gestured over the vast scenery and the Syrinbjerge in the close distance.

“You may not notice it, but our landscape is blessed with mild weather throughout the year which is a perfect nutrient medium for fruit-bearing trees.” She turned to look at the range of mountains. “Thankfully the Syrinbjerge keep changes in the weather pattern coming from the Sapphire Sea away from us.”

YunHo hummed when he let his gaze wander over the landscape towards the paddock. “It has a positive effect on your horses as well, I assume.”

Smiling she followed YunHo’s line of vision towards her family’s flock. “Indeed. You won’t find them anywhere outside these reigns. We take great pride in them as a remainder of our ancient kingdom.”

“As you should. Such a magnificent breed,” YunHo replied awed when he had his eyes on Hanne’s stallion.

“I’m amazed at your friend over there,” Hanne announced when her eyes fell onto JaeJoong surrounded by a mare and its foal. “Cayenne has more of a fiery temper, especially now with her foal. He really must have a calming nature to him if she allows him to be so close.” fell open in awe when the puce mare nudged JaeJoong’s face lightly and in return was gently patted.

“He’s always been on good terms with animals, to be honest.” He grinned when the foal nibbled on the stack of parchments in JaeJoong’s lap and had the black haired silently protesting in vain. ChangMin’s laughter erupted loudly and echoed through the warm afternoon air. Amused YunHo and Hanne walked over to them.

“You want to leave tomorrow, right?” she asked when they neared a still snickering ChangMin and a flustered JaeJoong trying to make him stop.

“First thing in the morning, yes. I believe we shouldn’t take up any more of your hospitality. There is still a long journey ahead of us after all.”

“Well, in that case I would like to come along. Our supply of apples and millet is just about right for sharing it with the Sisterhood.”

“In that case I hope you don’t mind if I draw on your knowledge of the landscape,” YunHo declared and earned a reassuring smile. He turned to ChangMin when they reached the quarrelling pair. “Cut it out, Brother ChangMin. He’s furious already.”

ChangMin tried to stifle his snicker when he looked at JaeJoong’s flushed face. “It’s too funny though.”

Puffing his cheeks JaeJoong turned from ChangMin with folded arms and managed to ignore the younger for the remains of the day.

 

*

 

Early the next morning the quartet took off and bid Hanne’s mother goodbye. Hanne took her stallion by the reins, a great amount of supplies carried on its back, and led her three companions towards the river running through Lavender and Ivory westwards to merge with the Sable Torrent enclosing Ebony’s reigns.

“Once we’ve passed the river, it will be one and a half days before we reach the Kirsebærblomst Tempel, or Temple of the Cherry blossoms. That’s the original name of the purple temple and it lies in the depths of Cherry blossom Grove. I’m sure that the honourable sisters will welcome you with open arms and offer you assistance.”

“Thanks for all your help, Hanne. It’s really kind of you,” YunHo declared when they neared the river branch.

Hanne smiled. “You’re welcome. Oh, you might want to get rid of your footwear before we wade the river.”

Without a response ChangMin quickly got down to business. YunHo followed suit and gave JaeJoong a helping hand when the latter struggled with his cowl. Hanne mounted her stallion once everyone was ready and trotted ahead through the river. The clear water was cool to their skin and here and there they had to watch out for stones.

It didn’t take them long to reach the other side where they paused for a moment to dry their limbs. Hanne descended and nuzzled her stallion’s neck in gratitude.

“Do you prefer a direct way to the temple or rather an official one?” she asked YunHo while the younger smoothed out his garments.

YunHo hummed. “Is there much of a difference?”

“Well, the direct way would lead you through the landscape and you might be able to catch a glimpse on the more reclusive animals. To reach the official trade route would as well lead you through the landscape, it however would take us about six hours to reach it. And then we’d need about two days to reach our destination,” Hanne explained when she pointed eastwards.

YunHo cocked his head when he thought it through. He glanced at JaeJoong and ChangMin. “What do you think?”

JaeJoong flashed him a hesitant smile and nodded North. He scowled when ChangMin leaned onto his shoulder and tried to push the younger away.

“You two definitely want to find some of these animals, naturally we take the direct way,” he declared. Grinning he cocked his head. “Unless you’d like to spend more time in Hanne’s company, of course.” He laughed a little when JaeJoong managed to slap his arm from his shoulder.

The two blushed. “What on earth is that supposed to mean?” YunHo asked and looked after JaeJoong when he angrily stomped from the scene.

ChangMin shrugged in amusement. “Oh you know. You two seem to get along well is all I say.”

Hanne snorted. “And that from a monk so young.” She shook her head and stemmed her hands into her hips. “Are you jealous, perhaps?” YunHo stifled a laugh.

“I’m not, of course!” ChangMin huffed and gaped at her baffled. “If anyone is jealous, it would surely be him,” he exclaimed and pointed at JaeJoong who stood a few feet away from them.

The black haired flushed and immediately turned away from the scene. Embarrassed he veered away from them just a tad bit more and crouched over a field of yellowed flowers in the distance.

Lost for words YunHo blinked at the back of his sulky friend and cleared his throat softly when Hanne silently turned from the scene and walked over to JaeJoong. “Brother ChangMin,” the younger turned to him with a hum, “do me a favour and stop picking on us, and especially him. I don’t like seeing him in a bad mood. And you really don’t want to push his limits.” Sternly he looked ChangMin in the eye. “Trust me. I’ve seen him really mad just once and it was not funny.”

ChangMin raised an eyebrow at that. “What did you do?” Hanne tentatively had crouched down next to JaeJoong and gently bumped his shoulder. They weren’t able to make Hanne’s words out but after a while she gestured over the field of flowers and westwards to the Syrinbjerge.

A fond smile spread over YunHo’s lips when JaeJoong nodded at her explanations. Relieved he continued, “Well, he had a very bad hiccup when we were little and in my childish foolishness I mocked him for the tiny sounds he made even though I knew he hated it. He got so angry that it only worsened his hiccup and I made it even worse by laughing through it. He shoved me away in the end and didn’t talk to me for three months.”

“You mean he ignored you, you sweet talker.” YunHo simply nodded. “And how did you manage to get over it? You’re literally inseparable now, so obviously you did.”

YunHo hummed and started to move over to JaeJoong and Hanne. “I’m not sure whether in the long run it would have settled by itself, but back then I was really worried. Since he was so determined to ignore me I simply didn’t see any possibility to apologize. The turning point actually came with an accident. I was a little off and careless when I was on an exploratory trip with my master and fell into a canyon near our home. I broke my right foot and hit my head.”

“And became unconscious,” ChangMin concluded and set his eyes onto JaeJoong’s nearing back.

YunHo nodded. “Naturally. When I finally came to myself, he burst into the infirmary at the same time and collapsed at my bedside. I’ve never seen him so hysterical either,” he mumbled when he thought about that moment.

“Thus you made up.”

“Yes, thankfully.” YunHo smiled when they reached JaeJoong and Hanne. The former looked over his shoulder at him. “I still like to but I know when to stop and to not touch that topic again.”

JaeJoong raised an eyebrow sceptically and cocked his head when he caught a few of his words. He narrowed his eyes in on him and ChangMin and swiftly turned around when the latter looked him in the eye.

ChangMin snorted. “All right, all right. I’m sorry. I won’t do it again,” he gave in and gently nudged the back of JaeJoong’s head before he joined Hanne who had risen at their approach and had wandered a little off.

Confused JaeJoong rubbed over the back of his head as he rose to his feet and turned to look at YunHo. His eyebrows were furrowed and lips pursed when he elbowed YunHo’s arm.

YunHo elbowed him back. “I just told him to stop picking on you. Nothing more.” JaeJoong narrowed his eyes and leaned a bit over to look him in the eye. He raised his hands in defence. “I didn’t say anything else. I swear.”

Contemplating about YunHo’s answer JaeJoong stared at him for a while longer until he pulled back. He squinted at YunHo when he noticed his grin.

“So, you’re jealous?”

Flushed he pummelled YunHo’s chest and turned flustered away to follow after ChangMin and Hanne. YunHo laughed heartily whilst closing in on his companions.

 

*

 

Evening befell them quickly when they wandered through a valley and in the secure outlines of a rock formation they sought shelter for the night. Exhausted JaeJoong sank down against one of the rocks and rubbed his temples. YunHo offered him his water bottle.

"Are you okay?" he asked when JaeJoong accepted the opened vessel.

The smaller nodded and eagerly gobbled up the fresh water. A thin trail ran from the corner of his lips over his chin. With his sleeve he rubbed over his mouth when he held the bottle back up.

YunHo shook his head. "You can have it. I know you've already emptied yours and I can refill it later at the runlet." Gently he ruffled through JaeJoong's cropped hair. "Get some rest. We'll take care of everything else."

An appreciative smile scurried over JaeJoong's lips when he closed his eyes and relaxed a little more against the rock. He leaned into the soft touch of YunHo’s fingers on his cheek and took a deep breath.

YunHo lingered a brief moment and thumbed over JaeJoong’s cheekbone. The black haired relaxed noticeably under his caress and soon even breathing reached his ears. A fold smile lay on YunHo’s lips before he rose to join ChangMin and Hanne in front of the cavernous formation.

“Is he all right?” Hanne asked, her eyebrows furrowed when she looked back at JaeJoong.

“He will be after a good rest. He can’t handle muggy weather that well, you know. And the long journey over the past few weeks is probably catching up with him as well.” YunHo glanced at the darkening sky. “We better hurry. Looks like there’s rain coming down tonight.”

“You’ve got a good intuition,” Hanne complimented and led her stallion towards their shelter. “I’d suggest we find some kind of firewood. The night will be chilly once it rains,” she muttered whilst freeing her horse from the stack of supplies.

“Count me in,” ChangMin offered whilst helping her.

YunHo shook his head. “If possible I would like to ask you to keep an eye on JaeJoong.”

ChangMin turned to him with his eyes wide open. “Me? I thought you would-”

A strained smile scurried over YunHo’s lips. “I honestly can’t handle it when he is in such a state. I just need something to do, you know?”

ChangMin sighed. “Got it.”

“Thanks.” YunHo patted his shoulder before he pulled off his overcoat. “Be so kind and refill both of our water bottles. And give him my coat if he falls asleep.” Wordlessly ChangMin accepted the garment and shortly after waved the two off.

“Well, might as well make our shelter a little cosy,” he muttered when he turned towards the rock formation. He carefully took the stallion by the reigns and led it inside, the impressive horse huffing and throwing its head from side to side.

“I know, I know. I won’t hold you too long, so will you just please move under these rocks to not get wet?” he complained and let go once the proud animal complied. Sighing he shook his head when he turned around to check up on JaeJoong. The smaller’s head had slumped to the side and even breathing was audible.

“So much for falling asleep,” he mumbled and crouched down. He gently nudged JaeJoong’s shoulder. “Don’t fall asleep in the entrance.” JaeJoong’s eyebrows furrowed before he peeked at ChangMin. The latter smiled softly. “Let’s move a bit deeper into this cave, hm?”

JaeJoong blinked languidly at him and nodded after a moment. ChangMin helped him up and led him further inside the rock formation where it turned out to be a little bit warmer.

“Guess this will do,” ChangMin mumbled when they were still able to see the entrance. JaeJoong rubbed over his eyes and disposed of his shoulder bag and overcoat whilst stifling a yawn.

“Ah, wait. YunHo told me to give this to you,” ChangMin exclaimed when JaeJoong spread his coat on the ground and already got comfortable on his chosen place to sleep. He blinked at the garment ChangMin was holding and held out his hand. The taller handed it to him without another word and silently watched the smaller snuggling down in YunHo’s overcoat. He turned to the side, eyes already closed and head resting on his bag, when he buried his face into YunHo’s garment. His legs curled up under the long clothing and a shiver wrecked him before he fully relaxed.

Blinking at the scene ChangMin realized that he had forgotten about the water bottles and sighed relieved when he found both near JaeJoong’s head. Carefully he got hold of the two vessels, tiptoed out of the cave and made his way to the runlet near their shelter.

By the time he was finished with refilling, the first raindrops fell from the darkened sky and coerced YunHo and Hanne into hurrying back with a load of firewood and a few dried leaves. A crackling bonfire kept them warm throughout the rainy night and let them rest safe and sound.

 

*

 

Recovered from their journey’s strain they continued their way to the purple temple when the sun was reaching its peak. The nightly rain had gradually cooled down the muggy weather and made way for a pleasant day.

To everyone’s delight JaeJoong was in full spirit and more than once they had to catch up to him. YunHo’s journal gradually filled up with information and JaeJoong’s completed sketches on the way that he soon would need a second one whilst JaeJoong’s stack of parchments never seemed to dwindle.

With advancing time the silhouette of a forest grew in the distance and immediately caught Hanne’s attention.

“Kirsebærblomst Skov,” she breathed in awe and a smile spread over her lips.

ChangMin startled. “So this is Cherry blossom Grove,” he muttered and YunHo’s face lit in recognition.

He chuckled. “Once we reach it, we’ll have to take a break. I for one would like to note down a few things and I am pretty certain that JaeJoong would like to sketch the scenery.” Eagerly JaeJoong nodded with a wide grin and clasped his parchments tightly to his chest.

Barely an hour later a sea of white and rosy blossoms enfolded before their eyes and a light wind brushed through the canopy. In awestruck silence they neared the sweeping grove.

“Magnificent,” YunHo breathed and pulled out his quill and journal.

Hanne smiled when she caught up with him. “It is. Many come here just to walk through this forest.”

“I can imagine.” YunHo smiled at her and stopped short. “Let’s take a break,” he muttered when ChangMin neared them.

Hanne turned around when YunHo looked past her and found JaeJoong a few steps behind them. He was literally frozen to the ground, his wide eyes set solely onto the cherry blossoms and mouth slightly agape.

He remained unmoving whilst the others moved just a bit closer to the trees and settled for a rest. Hanne had let her stallion loose after freeing it off the supplies for a moment, and ChangMin had made himself comfortable for a short nap. She joined YunHo at one of the trees when the latter called her over to answer a few of his questions.

“Ah, he started,” YunHo exclaimed when JaeJoong seemingly had come over his stupor and knelt onto the ground before he lost himself in his sketching. He watched him for a while, a gentle smile scurrying over his lips when he let his own task at hand aside.

“Say,” Hanne interrupted his reverie and he turned to her with a hum, “your next destination will be Town Turquoise and the turquoise temple, right?”

YunHo nodded. “Yes. I figured it might be our best option to cross the Verdant Current instead of the Sable Torrent. Besides, my master told me of a very rare flower and I really would love to see it myself.”

Hanne smiled benignly. “You mean Bleu Nuit, the night blue roses of Turquoise.”

YunHo looked at her astonished. “Yes, that’s the one. You know it?”

She laughed. “Oh yes, I do. I also know where exactly to find it.”

“That’s perfect!” YunHo exclaimed overjoyed. He immediately pulled out his map. “Can you show me?”

Hanne gazed a little onto the map before she pointed at a northern area on the right side of the Verdant Current. “There’s a huge flowerbed right here. You will also find a lodge near the river. The owner is a fisherman and caretaker of the roses.” She hummed in thought. “He’s a bit of a recluse and not very fond of people, but I’m sure that he will ferry you across.”

“How can you be so sure?”

She grinned. “I’ll write a letter. Just give it to him.”

YunHo furrowed his eyebrows. “If you say so.”

“Aren’t you hard to convince,” Hanne chuckled and brushed a long strand behind her ear. “Well, to ease your concern a little, his name is TaeYong and I’ve known him for many years.” Her eyes drooped a little and her smile faltered. “He’s become very gruff over the past four years but I can assure you that he is a sweet-natured man. Your friend actually reminds me a little of him.”

YunHo looked over to JaeJoong who was deeply indulged into his drawing. “Did something happen to him?” he asked softly while he couldn’t take his eyes off of his friend.

Hanne sighed. “This is not my place to share, to be honest. He will tell you himself if he wants.” She turned towards a cherry blossom tree and fondled one of its branches. “You will hear about him in town and around the temple, I’m sure. Don’t let the people of Turquoise influence you though. They are not very fond of him and suspicious of foreign folk in general. You have to be careful if you spend the night outside.”

“I’ll make sure to stay cautious,” YunHo declared and folded his map before he put it away.

Hanne ruffled through her hair. “Now I’ve spoiled the mood of these beautiful trees. I’m sorry.”

YunHo laughed softly. “No need to. I’m thankful for your advices.” A slight smile played around her lips before she joined ChangMin and watched over her stallion.

 

*

 

The sun had long passed its peak when JaeJoong had deemed his drawing presentable and thus they continued their way through the forest. In comfortable silence they advanced further and reached the purple temple at night-time. The sisters welcomed them with open arms and served them a warm meal. Sated and deeply grateful they sank into their provided bedding and easily fell asleep.

The following days YunHo trawled through the temple’s vast archive with ChangMin as a translator by his side. JaeJoong on the other hand was joined by Hanne when he wandered time and again through the garden and the cherry blossom trees nearest to the temple in search of an adequate subject.

Being on their own most of the time, ChangMin didn’t just browse for data on Vernice’s flora and fauna for YunHo to use, but took the opportunity to find any kind of information about the ominous prophecy Brother JongWan had mentioned back in the white temple. It took him a full three days before he found something remotely useful.

YunHo was seeking the lavatory to stretch out his legs a little when ChangMin came across a yellowed pell dated back 350 years in a section of turquoise origin. He settled onto his knees in front of the desk, stacked with a handful of parchments and YunHo’s journal, and carefully unrolled the document. He squinted his eyes a little at the tiny ancient lettering and jotted down a few notes into one of the journals the sisters had provided.

His eyebrows were furrowed when he stumbled over the mention of the Kingdom Charcoal and concentrated fully on the following lines. He was completely unaware of YunHo’s return.

“You found another one?”

ChangMin was startled tremendously and turned wide-eyed around to see YunHo settling down next to him.

“By the looks of this ever growing pile of parchments I’d need another four weeks to work through it,” YunHo exclaimed with a soft chuckle and picked up his quill.

ChangMin swallowed. “I- No. This is about something else,” he mumbled before he focused onto the pell once again.

YunHo stared at him for a few moments, pondering. He let his quill drop back onto his journal. “Don’t tell me- Did you find something about-” He stopped abruptly and looked around the archive. When he was convinced that no one was around to listen in on them, he continued in a whisper, “The prophecy?”

ChangMin simply nodded. “I’m not perfectly sure about the precise content yet because the lettering is very old and has become mostly unreadable over the years, but it does mention the Kingdom Charcoal and a prophecy.” He turned to look YunHo in the eye. “If possible I’d like to reach the emerald temple as soon as possible.”

YunHo blinked at him. “The emerald temple? How come?”

ChangMin stared back onto the pell. “The source of the mentioned passage is an emerald monk, Brolis Vilius, and I hope to find something more specific at the origin. I have to admit though that we would need some more time in Emerald since my knowledge of the language is not on a high level.”

YunHo blinked at him in silence. “I see,” was his only response after a few minutes before he turned to his notes. “Then I will leave you to your discovery. I hope you don’t mind if I interrupt for translation matters though.”

ChangMin laughed softly. “Certainly not. Otherwise we wouldn’t be able to leave before the next year.”

YunHo protested vehemently before they broke into a joyful laughter and continued to work on their respective documents in high spirits.

 

*****

 

They stayed in the temple for another week in which ChangMin had been awfully tight-lipped whenever YunHo had asked him about the prophecy during their spent time in the archive. Silently they had agreed on not sharing any of it with JaeJoong until they were perfectly certain about the prophecy’s content.

Their departure from the temple and Hanne’s pleasant company came with the rising of the sun. Wistfully they bid one another goodbye and were in each other’s arms in a warm hug.

“Have a safe journey,” Hanne announced with a small smile as she wiped away a tear. “And make sure to greet TaeYong from me. I also hope to hear from you.”

YunHo grinned when he patted her shoulder. “Certainly. Next time you hear from us, we will have a lot to tell.”

Laughing heartily she hugged him once more. It wasn’t long after that they left the temple and started on their next journey through the entity of Cherry blossom Grove.

“They said we won’t see the end of the forest before three weeks have passed. And by then we will as well have already crossed the ancient border to Turquoise. You think they’ll be right about it?” ChangMin wondered aloud when the trio walked along the sandy path leading through the abundantly covered grove.

YunHo hummed whilst JaeJoong looked expectantly at him. “Well, Hanne as well as the honourable sisters know this forest best, so I assume that they are right about the three weeks.”

ChangMin sighed. “As much as I like these trees, I really hope we won’t take that much time to reach our next destination.” YunHo laughed at that and JaeJoong couldn’t suppress a snort either.

Slowly but surely they advanced through the forest, time and again seeking shelter for the night a little off the path beneath a tree or a cave they stumbled upon, and more than once continued through the thicket in hopes to find some animals to take notes of.

One late afternoon they stumbled upon a meadow of wild lucerne populated by latticed heath. JaeJoong was immediately drawn to this natural spectacle and was completely lost in his sketching. Same was for YunHo who immediately got down to taking notes of the purple clover and its flittering residents.

ChangMin on the other hand made himself comfortable beneath a tree and gulped down a swig of his water. He was dozing off shortly after. Lost in the land of dreams he started up when something brushed against his shoulder. Drowsily he looked around, furiously blinking at the sudden awakening, and tried to reorientate himself.

It had already started to darken when YunHo moved over to ChangMin and slumped down next to him. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to wake you,” he apologized softly when the younger had jerked from his nap.

ChangMin yawned contentedly and stretched out against the tree. “’s all right,” he replied sleepily and shook his head a little to fully wake up.

“I’ve been wondering,” YunHo started softly when he leaned back against the tree and had ChangMin turning to him with a hum. “Why don’t you tell me what you found out about the prophecy?”

ChangMin swallowed the lump in his throat. “Because it’s nothing specific,” he mumbled when he looked down at his fingers. He had been contemplating to tell YunHo about the snippets he was able to make out in the ancient lettering but at the same time had been too insecure about the vague content.

YunHo furrowed his eyebrows. “If it’s nothing specific why did you mention the pell in the first place?”

ChangMin glared at him. “You asked, if I may remind you. And it is not in my nature to lie.”

YunHo raised his hands. “I didn’t want to offend you. My bad.” Sighing he ruffled through his hair. “It’s just driving me crazy to think about what you said and not knowing what all of this is exactly about.”

With a frustrated sigh ChangMin buried his face in his hands. “Very well,” he mumbled before he looked at YunHo. “Just to make myself clear, I am not completely certain about the actual content. I really have to see the emerald original.”

YunHo straightened against the tree. “I’m aware of that.”

ChangMin nodded curtly with his lips pressed into a thin line. “Like I mentioned in the purple temple, the passage of the prophecy was indeed about Charcoal. Or better said it might be intended to be.” He rummaged through his jute bag whilst YunHo furrowed his eyebrows.

Might be?”

“Well it’s just a translated abstract and in ancient lettering. It gives a lot of interpretative possibilities. Just listen carefully.” ChangMin cleared his throat before he read from his journal, “Nurtured with coal the Ash-born will see the light of day and will bring forward the rise of the new phoenix and the black curtain will be obliterated for eternity.”

A long silence came over them with ChangMin’s words hanging in the air. YunHo was pondering about them when ChangMin closed his journal. “I believe there are at least two ways to interpret this abstract.”

“Two ways?” YunHo asked flabbergasted and stared at ChangMin.

The younger hummed. “It’s just a theory, but I believe the Black Emperor easily understood it in a way that someone born in Charcoal will be this mysterious Ash-born and will bring down his reign. This probably led to Charcoal’s obliteration.”

YunHo scowled when he thought back to the Ashen Desert. “What about the second one?” he asked softly, his voice a little strained when he remembered JaeJoong’s tears.

ChangMin leaned back and looked up into the sky. “Actually I think it is far more likely that with this specific obliteration of Charcoal the mysterious Ash-born was literally born. Just like a real phoenix, you know.”

YunHo’s lips parted slightly. “For Vernice’s sake I hope that your theory will prove to be right.”

ChangMin smiled softly. “I hope as well. I just don’t know how we are supposed to find this mysterious Ash-born.”

“That’s indeed a good question,” YunHo mumbled and fell silent when JaeJoong slowly came over to them with a content smile on his lips.

That night YunHo lay wake when he had dreamed of a conversation he had long forgotten to have witnessed. He tossed and the forest ground and couldn’t find sleep. His gaze fell onto JaeJoong peacefully sleeping next to him. A soft smile tucked on his lips when JaeJoong coiled up under his cowl. He reached out and let his fingers brush gently over the other’s cheek. JaeJoong pursed his lips lightly before he nestled down deeper.

YunHo’s palm lingered on JaeJoong’s cheek and his index finger continued to caress over his cheekbone gently. Slowly he fell asleep with a lingering thought in the back of his mind.

‘It cannot be him. It’s just been a dream.’

 

*****

 

As presumed by Hanne and the Sisterhood it took them three weeks to cross the entity of Cherry blossom Grove. Exhausted they sank down at the Verdant Current and lay on the grass.

JaeJoong was the first to rise after a while and walk with feet through the fresh water. He stopped once he was knee-deep in the river and disposed of his shoulder bag and cowl at the riverside. Lying on his back ChangMin watched him upside down with furrowed eyebrows.

“What’s he doing?” he asked and craned his neck further.

YunHo closed his eyes with a soft smile as he folded his hands behind his head. “Taking a bath. We smell like animals if you haven’t noticed.”

ChangMin scrunched his nose when he turned back at YunHo. “Now that you mention it.” YunHo laughed heartily before he dozed off and was followed suit by the younger.

One after the other they refreshed in the clear water and after a light meal of roasted fish they put out their small fire before they continued on their way towards Town Turquoise. A day passed, then two and every now and then they came across a lonely traveller or a fully packed merchant. None was all too talkative nor did they seem to take any notice of the trio.

They spent their nights off the trade route with YunHo and ChangMin taking turns in standing guard and had to change places twice when rustling and muffled voices had caught their attention.

JaeJoong had quickly dozed off against YunHo’s shoulder when they resettled in another grove of linden. They had decided against a bonfire and thus only the moon shed some light through the canopy.

“I never thought about it, but do we actually have any coins? I doubt we will be as lucky in town than we were thus far without finances,” ChangMin muttered when he lay next to YunHo and looked up at the moon.

YunHo hummed softly and carefully rummaged through his bag. “You probably forgot that I paid Hanne’s mother for the supplies,” he mumbled as he retrieved a small pouch that tinkled between his fingers. In the sparse light he tried to count through the coins. “It’s not much but it should last for a low priced accommodation or two and some supplies before we reach the turquoise temple and Hanne’s acquaintance afterwards.”

ChangMin closed his eyes with a sigh. “That’s not very much.” He had dozed off before YunHo hummed in agreement.

They reached Town Turquoise in the afternoon the following day and paused right in front of the closed gate when a booming voice echoed through the air.

“Arrêter, étranger!”

Surprised they looked up and squinted their eyes against the sun when they tried to make out the man. He was dressed in a highly decorated uniform and shot them a distrustful glare.

“Quel est votre désir en ville?” he inquired sternly and immediately the trio was greeted with two armed guards.

ChangMin stepped forward. “Je suis Frère ChangMin. Peut-on parler en Crimson?” he asked fluently and looked the captain on top of the gate in the eye. The old man nodded after a moment and ChangMin promptly nudged YunHo’s shoulder. “Tell them who we are and what our purpose is,” he whispered before he stepped behind him.

YunHo nervously took a step forward and rummaged through his bag hastily. “I am YunHo, student of Master Mok, and,” he swallowed thickly, “I am on a mission to categorise and index Vernice’s flora and fauna on behalf of the Black Emperor’s aide.” His fingers were shaking when he held up the official assignment.

One of the guards looked up to his captain and with a curt nod stepped closer. He read through the document with a grim expression and let his eyes wander over ChangMin and JaeJoong. “Who are your companions? It says nothing of an added party.”

YunHo swallowed and quickly retrieved his other documents. “The monk to my left is my assistant, Brother JaeJoong. The aide approved of his help as you can read here.” The guard read through the handed document and squinted at JaeJoong who bowed politely in greeting. “And the monk to my right is Brother ChangMin. He joined us at the white temple for translating matters.” ChangMin bowed as well.

The guard regarded his greeting with a scowl. “He is not approved though.”

YunHo and ChangMin shared a quick glance. “The aide mentioned in his approval of my assistant that I might add another party for research,” YunHo declared and pointed his finger at the relevant passage.

Grumbling the guard read through the document once more. “Vous dites la vérité,” he called out after a moment and turned back to his post.

Anxiously YunHo and JaeJoong stared at the guards and ChangMin by turns who simply nodded. The gate slowly creaked open and revealed the streets of Town Turquoise.

“You may pass through,” the captain announced loudly above their heads. Their shoulders noticeably slumped when they took a deep breath and, bowing in gratitude, they walked past the guards.

“This was unexpected,” YunHo whispered when they moved slowly through the busy streets. Here and there they were eyed with open distrust.

ChangMin shrugged. “Not very. Hanne did mention that the people of Turquoise have grown suspicious over the years.” JaeJoong nodded affirmative and tentatively looked around. The scrutinising and openly suspicious stares made him very uneasy thus he kept very close to YunHo and ChangMin.

“Now that you mention it,” YunHo muttered and propped his chin onto his palm with furrowed eyebrows. Lost in thought he brushed over his chin and bottom lip.

They walked through the town’s streets in silence and every now and then they stopped by sleeping accommodations. More than once they were turned down for searching an available room for just one night and just as much declined out of financial reasons. The sky around them visibly darkened and their stomachs made clear their emptiness.

“How about this one?” ChangMin called out when another pub serving as an inn fell into his eyes at the end of the road.

YunHo hummed and cocked his head. His eyebrows furrowed. “Are you sure? It doesn’t look very inviting.”

ChangMin gave the building a thorough look-over when they came closer. YunHo was right. It didn’t look very comfortable nor particularly inviting. The facade was coming down on some spots already and compared to other pubs it equalled a shabby dive.

YunHo sighed. “I think we’re out of options, aren’t we?” JaeJoong scowled at the building and nodded reluctantly. ChangMin agreed as well. Determined they stepped into the pub and were greeted with a vast bouquet of different smells. Any conversation at the bar stopped immediately and many pairs of eyes glared at them.

“Bonsoir,” ChangMin greeted the staring men and carefully strolled over to the bar. “Nous recherchons un logement pour la nuit. Est de parler au propriétaire?”

A small stubby man eyed the three hauntingly with distrust. “Il se tient devant eux,” he croaked and let his eyes wander over his present guests. The conversations resumed immediately.

“Très bien,” ChangMin sighed in relief and motioned to YunHo and JaeJoong that they found the right person in charge. “Nous sommes en transit et avons besoin d'un endroit pour dormir. Est-il possible de louer une chambre?”

The innkeeper looked at him appraisingly. “Je ne peux vous offrir qu'une chambre simple. Je prends habituellement 4 pièce de monnaie pour une nuit, mais puisque vous trois avez insisté sur 7.”

ChangMin grumbled. “Un instant s'il vous plaît.” He turned towards YunHo and JaeJoong. “He’s got a single-bedroom and wants 7 coins for one night.”

YunHo pondered about it for a moment. “That should be all right. Is there any possibility to get a meal as well?”

ChangMin turned to the stubby man once more. “Je suis d'accord. Est-il possible d'avoir un repas chaud?”

Grumbling the innkeeper nodded. “Un souper est inclus. J'ai le cuisinier préparer trois portions.” He stretched out his hand demandingly.

ChangMin elbowed YunHo. “I believe he wants instant payment.” YunHo nodded and handed the man 7 coins. Without another word he vanished into a room behind the bar.

Unsure YunHo looked after him. “Don’t we get a key or something?” he whispered. JaeJoong shrugged and stayed close by his side while ChangMin tried to figure out the situation.

“He mentioned that he would tell his chef our order. Hopefully he just went to the kitchen.” He turned to his companions with a shrug. “Let’s find a seat and wait.”

Walking past the mostly male guests they found an empty table in the corner of the bar and quickly settled down. YunHo enfolded the map to pass the time and guided his right index finger over their upcoming route.

“The trade route leads directly from here to the turquoise temple. We just have to use the eastern route when it splits here.” He tapped onto a crossroad and moved his finger to the right.

ChangMin furrowed his eyebrows. “How long will it take to reach the temple?”

YunHo hummed. “I’d say three to four days.” JaeJoong’s finger joined YunHo’s on the map and brushed over an unspecified spot in the northern region of the Verdant Current. YunHo smiled. “I’m not sure how long it will take to reach there, but we will probably move directly through the landscape to reach TaeYong.”

A glass shattered and immediate silence followed. Surprised YunHo looked up whilst ChangMin and JaeJoong looked astonished around.

“Qu'est-ce que vous avez dit?” a bulky man growled and rose from his chair.

ChangMin raised his hands in defence. “Pardon. Il ya un problème?” He motioned for YunHo and JaeJoong to stay calm when the taller man stepped towards their table and was joined by two others.

“Vous paries. Qu'est-ce que vous as à faire avec ce mec? Les amis de ce criminel ne sont pas les bienvenus ici.”

ChangMin furrowed his eyebrows. “Je ne comprends pas.”

The trio grinned and clenched their fists. “Nous sommes très heureux de vous montrer ce qui arrive à ses amis.”

Flabbergasted ChangMin stared at them and instinctively rose. Confused YunHo and JaeJoong rose as well and got hold of their belongings.

“Que se passe t-il ici?” the innkeeper croaked at his return and slammed a wooden bowl onto the bar. Its steaming indefinable content splattered onto the surface.

The bulky man turned around and glared at him. “Ils sont amis de TaeYong, ce criminel. Vous n'avez rien perdu ici!”

The innkeeper regarded ChangMin, YunHo and JaeJoong with a wary glance. ChangMin motioned for YunHo to stay quiet while he tried to figure out the situation. To his surprise the stubby man shrugged.

“Ce ne sont pas mes affaires. Vous avez payé une nuit et je vous l'ai donnée. Vous êtes les bienvenus si cela ne vous convient pas, JiHoon.”

Grumbling the bulky man chucked a few coins onto the ground and stomped out of the pub. He was followed by a handful others and thus the room quickly emptied. Dumbfounded ChangMin sank down onto his seat whilst YunHo and JaeJoong eyed him in confusion.

“What happened?” YunHo asked after a while.

ChangMin shook his head. “I’m not sure. They just really lost it when you mentioned TaeYong.”

A wooden bowl landed ruggedly on the table. “Not say name,” the innkeeper croaked in broken Crimson and glared at ChangMin. Two other bowls were placed in front of JaeJoong and YunHo who meekly thanked the chef with a bow before said one left the scene.

ChangMin furrowed his eyebrows. “Pourquoi?”

The stubby man only shook his head. “Je ne dis rien. Je veux que vous sois parti à l'aube.” With that he threw a rusty key onto their table and made his way back to the bar.

Confused they blinked at the key. Sighing ChangMin got hold of it. “It seems that Hanne was right. The people really are not fond of him.”

“Seems so, albeit I didn’t understand half of the conversation,” YunHo muttered and grimaced at the content of his bowl. “What was that supposed to be?” he whispered and picked at his meal with his spoon.

“I’d say some kind of stew,” ChangMin replied with furrowed eyebrows. “Hopefully.” JaeJoong scrunched his nose when he smelled at the lump in his bowl. In the end their hunger helped it down and their sleepiness let them handle the narrow space of their accommodation.

 

*

 

As requested by the innkeeper, the three left the pub with the rising of the sun. To their misfortune the local market was run by none other than the bulky man of the former night and thus their intention to restock their supplies was declined. Opting not to cause another argument, they left the town with their remaining provisions and wandered northeast towards the turquoise temple.

Due to the weather turning from one extreme to another and the landscape consisting mostly of uncultivated valleys, their supplies of food quickly dwindled. The long journey towards the temple debilitated them greatly and thus they reached the turquoise Brotherhood after five days instead of three.

Dutifully the monks of the turquoise temple took them in and let them rest in their quarters whilst nursing their weakened figures. Two days went by before they were fully recovered and could resume their original task. To their surprise they were watched with every step and thus ChangMin didn’t attempt to look for any parchment dealing with the prophecy.

JaeJoong didn’t feel very comfortable around the monks joining him in the bamboo grove near the temple’s grounds and thus he spent most of his time near YunHo and ChangMin. YunHo’s notes on the turquoise flora and fauna grew slowly but steadily.

As expected, the brothers were very tight-lipped about anything related to TaeYong and dismissed their attempt to learn his actual whereabouts persistently, both in their preferred mouther tongue and Ebony. When asked once again during the night before their departure, the leading brother of the temple sighed in resignation. “Comme vous le souhaitez. Je vais vous montrer où le trouver.”

ChangMin’s face lit and he immediately gained YunHo’s and JaeJoong’s attention. “Vraiment?”

The monk nodded. “Oui.” ChangMin hastily motioned for YunHo to get hold of his map. The aged man squinted his eyes before he moved his finger. “Voici un chemin à travers la bambouseraie. Si vous les suivez pendant cinq jours, vous atteindrez un petit ruisseau.” He halted for a moment and furrowed his eyes.

“Quel est le problème?” ChangMin asked when the older monk didn’t speak.

“Êtes-vous sûr de vouloir aller chez ce délinquant? Je serais plus à l'aise si vous alliez au village de Petrol pour traverser la rivière.” He pointed to a small spot south of the Verdant Current and parallel to Town Turquoise.

YunHo furrowed his eyebrows. He wasn’t quite sure what the monk had said but seeing ChangMin’s grim expression he shook his head vehemently. ChangMin regarded his refusal with a curt nod.

“Je souhaite que nous puissions prendre votre suggestion à cœur, mais YunHo veut jeter un œil aux roses Bleu Nuit. À notre connaissance, TaeYong est le seul qui les élève,” ChangMin declared and by the mention of the night blue roses, YunHo and JaeJoong nodded eagerly.

The aged monk sighed wearily. “C'est vrai. Mais tu devrais faire attention quand tu le rencontres,” he responded and moved his finger northwards along the river. “Sa cabane est ici. Du petit ruisseau, c'est environ quatre jours.”

ChangMin bowed. “Merci beaucoup.” YunHo and JaeJoong bowed as well before they bid the turquoise Brotherhood goodbye.

 

*****

 

It lasted five and a half days before a small river crossed the scenery, just like the aged monk had told them. They moved to the other riverside and settled down for the night on the vast open valley. One after the other they took their night watch whilst two would be able to rest. With the rising of the sun they restocked their water supplies and, after a light meal, continued westwards across the uncultivated landscape.

With every passing day the westerly wind increased, often joined by heavy rain, and the nights had quickly cooled down. When they finally reached the area where TaeYong was supposed to be living, they were completely chilled to the bone and still drenched from a nightly downpour.

“Four days of rain. Four! If we don’t find a warm place soon then we surely will die of pneumonia,” ChangMin complained and promptly JaeJoong sneezed. “There! See? That’s exactly what I was saying.”

JaeJoong rolled his eyes and rubbed his sleeve over his nose.

“Don’t overreact. It’s just a snee- Achoo!”

Disgusted ChangMin scrunched up his nose. “Thank you very much for sneezing into my face.” Grumbling he rubbed over it.

JaeJoong stifled a gurgling laugh whilst YunHo chuckled sheepishly. “Sorry for that. I didn’t mean to.”

“As if,” ChangMin mumbled and waltzed past them. Amused the two followed quickly. They continued on their way and with passing time a small building grew in the distance.

“Si vous aimez votre vie, vous vous arrêterez immédiatement.”

ChangMin halted abruptly when he heard the hollering grim voice and motioned for YunHo and JaeJoong to stop immediately. He swallowed when a man of smaller stature neared them with a musket in his hands. The sun had gradually tanned his skin and his black hair had grown straggly.

He scowled at them, his lips pressed into a thin line and a nasty prominent scar ran along his left cheek. He stopped right in front of them, his musket directed at ChangMin’s heart, and eyed them suspiciously. “Qui êtes vous?”

ChangMin raised his hands in defence and didn’t dare to step back. “Je suis Frère ChangMin et ce sont YunHo et Frère JaeJoong. Puis-je vous demander si vous êtes TaeYong?”

The man narrowed his eyes in on ChangMin. “Pourquoi veux vous savoir?”

ChangMin quickly turned to YunHo. “Give him the letter,” he whispered before he looked back at the other man. YunHo hastily got hold of Hanne’s letter and let his journal drop in the process.

TaeYong squinted his eyes. “Que suis-je censé en faire?”

“C’est une lettre d’Hanne. Elle nous a envoyé vers vous.”

Surprised TaeYong raised his eyebrows. “De Hanne?” he asked and lowered his musket a little before he took the letter from YunHo’s shaking fingers. “Ne bouge pas,” he demanded when he turned sideways and unfolded Hanne’s writing. He quickly scanned through the content and paused every now and then.

Once he was done reading, he drooped his musket. “You speak Crimson?” he asked with a light accent and turned to them still scowling. Tensed all three nodded. He let his eyes wander over them. “And you want to see Bleu Nuit.” He nudged his head to the left where a wide field of night blue colour ranged over a hollow near the lodge.

YunHo clutched his journal when he glanced over to the field. “Yes, if possible.” He shut his mouth immediately when TaeYong looked him in the eye.

“If possible, we would like to cross the river as well,” ChangMin added sheepishly with a small smile. TaeYong narrowed his eyes on him before he glanced at JaeJoong in the back. JaeJoong lowered his eyes and looked away.

TaeYong kept his eyes on JaeJoong for a moment. The crease between his eyebrows softened lightly and with a hum he turned around. “There won’t be any river crossing over the next few days.” Bewildered the trio stared after him when he gestured at the cloudy sky. “There’s a monsoon coming and I don’t intend to drown in the Current.” He moved over to his lodge and impatiently waved his hand.

Nervously they followed after him. “He’s not very fond of people, indeed. I wonder what Hanne wrote in her letter to convince him,” ChangMin muttered. He shivered when a breeze brushed through his drenched cowl.

“It is obvious that something happened to him, and Hanne did mention that he is sweet-natured despite his gruffness. We should trust her,” YunHo replied and looked over his shoulder when JaeJoong tugged on his coat. “What’s wrong?”

JaeJoong furrowed his eyebrows and set his eyes on TaeYong’s back. He slid his finger lightly from the corner of his right eye over his cheek and clenched a fist over his heart.

YunHo’s eyes softened when he ruffled through JaeJoong’s cropped hair. ChangMin raised an eyebrow. “What did he say?”

A sympathetic smile tucked on YunHo’s lips. “There’s something melancholic about him. Whatever happened to him has broken his heart.” They fell silent when they reached TaeYong.

The smaller opened the door of his lodge. “Come on in,” he grumbled and gestured inside. His eyes followed them closely and once they settled in the small yet spacious building, he shut the door. “Get rid of your drenched clothes,” he declared and rummaged through a wooden box next to a fireplace.

Wordlessly he threw each of them a woollen blanket before he put a few logs in the middle of the sooty area. With just a few movements he ignited a lambent flame. “It should get warm soon. Just give it time,” he mumbled when he crossed the room towards a small kitchenette. “Put your clothes on the line. Just make sure they don’t drip onto the fire.”

Dumbfounded they looked at the jute line tightened above the fireplace. YunHo was the first to get rid of his clothes, shivering a little at the coldness, and looked about the room. “Excuse me, but where can I find the lavatory?”

“The door on your left,” was all TaeYong replied whilst rummaging around in the kitchen. A small fire was crackling in the oven and heated up a large pot.

JaeJoong let his eyes wander through TaeYong’s lodge while ChangMin made himself comfortable in front of the growing fire. The kitchenette was small but neat and the sparsely furnished room they were in apparently served as a dining room. Empty flower pots rested peacefully on two windowsills and a vase filled with withered roses stood on the worktop near the oven. Their petals had a gloomy sable colour and were spread over the wooden surface. JaeJoong’s eyes followed the small hallway leading to the lavatory and paused at a wooden door at the end. It was considerably lighter in colour than the remains of the lodge and seemed to be much younger. His eyes locked with YunHo’s when the latter exited the toilet.

He cocked his head when he strolled over to JaeJoong. “What’s on your mind?” he asked and looked over his shoulder towards the light brown door.

JaeJoong simply shook his head with a small smile and went to the lavatory. Scratching his head YunHo looked after him. He shrugged after a moment and settled down next to ChangMin.

By the time JaeJoong returned from the toilet, TaeYong had set the table with four bowls of steaming fish stew. Relieved he sank down on a chair, once he put his clothes on the line, and lowered his head in gratitude whilst YunHo and ChangMin voiced their thanks.

TaeYong’s eyes lingered on JaeJoong for a moment as he waved it off. “I don’t particularly like people starving on my property,” he commented before he sipped on his stew.

YunHo blinked at the top of his head. “Guess we’re lucky then,” he muttered and started eating as well. Silently they gobbled down TaeYong’s fish stew and drank the water he had provided.

Munching on a piece of halibut ChangMin let his eyes wander through the building. “You’ve got quite a large place. Are you living here alone?”

TaeYong paused immediately, as did JaeJoong. His eyes fell onto their host and lingered a brief moment. TaeYong’s features softened, his eyes drooping together with the corners of his lips. JaeJoong had to lower his eyes.

“Yes,” TaeYong replied softly and rose from his seat. He left his half-full bowl on the table and stepped out of his lodge.

ChangMin stared after him. “Did I say something wrong?” he wondered and furrowed his eyebrows.

YunHo glanced at JaeJoong and lowered his eyes. “I believe you broached a sensitive topic.”

“Oh,” ChangMin mumbled abashed and picked at his stew before he resumed eating. By the time they had finished their meal, TaeYong hadn’t returned. The fire had gradually heated the dining hall and had dried a few of their garments.

JaeJoong had thrown YunHo’s coat over his undergarment and busied himself with washing their used dishes in a tinny barrel. Time and again he let his eyes gaze out of the window in hopes that their host would return. The night blue field lay perfectly in his line of vision. At other times he let his eyes linger on the empty vase.

“Shall I clear away his bowl as well?”

Ripped from his reverie JaeJoong looked over his shoulder at YunHo. His eyes lingered on TaeYong’s bowl for a moment before he shook his head.

YunHo moved over to the window of the dining hall. “Seems like a storm is coming up,” he muttered and turned around when ChangMin closed the door of the lavatory behind him. He gave the younger a reassuring smile. “Don’t worry. I’m sure he’ll return before the storm hits the lodge.”

JaeJoong had finished cleaning the dishes in the meantime and let his eyes drift to the window once again. His face lit when he caught a glimpse of TaeYong coming out of the field. His gaze was set to the darkening sky as he walked towards the lodge and a bouquet of night blue roses lay in his arms.

YunHo and ChangMin were startled when the door opened and sighed relieved when TaeYong stepped in. The latter grimly ignored the two and set his eyes onto his bowl still standing on the table. His gaze softened a bit as he clutched the roses to his chest.

“I-” ChangMin called out and immediately halted when YunHo grabbed his wrist. Confused he turned to the older and furrowed his eyebrows when YunHo simply shook his head.

TaeYong regarded them with a scrutinising glare before he turned to the kitchenette. He didn’t pay any attention to JaeJoong when he walked past him and put down the bouquet of roses to get hold of the vase. Startled TaeYong paused at the weight and looked inside. His features softened for a brief moment whilst staring down into the fresh water. “Thank you,” he muttered as he turned towards JaeJoong.

JaeJoong smiled at his gentle voice and bowed before he left the small kitchen. TaeYong blinked after him for a moment before he arranged his roses in the vase.

A rumbling thunder roared through the afternoon and whipping wind swept across the lodge. In the split of a second a heavy downpour pattered onto the roof. Alarmed YunHo, ChangMin and JaeJoong looked up and feared that the wooden top would break any minute.

“That’s quite a storm,” YunHo muttered astonished and subconsciously moved towards the closest wall.

“It’s just a forerunner,” TaeYong responded calmly when he got hold of his bowl. “The monsoon will reach us tonight. You won’t be able to leave this house for the next four days,” he declared whilst pouring the remains of his stew into the large pot.

YunHo swallowed and looked around uneasily. “How often does this happen?”

TaeYong turned around and leaned against the worktop. “Once a year in a span of three months. It causes havoc by a few days or weeks. It greatly depends on the current weather.” He looked out of the rainy window into the darkness. “You’ll be safe in this house.”

Sighing YunHo sank down onto a chair. “I really hope so.”

An amused smile tucked on TaeYong’s lips until his eyes fell onto JaeJoong. He followed the younger’s line of vision. “Don’t worry about the roses,” he muttered and caught JaeJoong by surprise. He folded his arms and cocked his head when JaeJoong blinked at him. “The hollow serves as a natural barrier. They’ve been safe from the monsoon ever since my-” He paused and looked away. “Ever since they were planted,” he concluded after a moment and kept his eyes to the window.

JaeJoong’s eyes lingered on TaeYong’s profile and were inevitably drawn to the deep scar running across his cheek. Considering the margin of the wound, it seemed to be from a dagger or even a sword. And it must have been burned to reduce any inflammatory site. He looked up when TaeYong turned his face and locked eyes with him. Immediately he lowered his gaze.

TaeYong stemmed from the worktop with a sigh. “I’ve got a small room where you can sleep. Don’t expect anything fancy though. I’ve only got two straw mats.”

“It will do just fine, thank you,” YunHo pressed when he rose from the chair. ChangMin was still embarrassed from the scene during their meal and didn’t dare to say anything but a meek “Thank you”. They followed TaeYong along the small hallway in silence towards the light brown door.

JaeJoong wasn’t sure whether YunHo and ChangMin took notice of TaeYong’s hesitation before he opened said door and led them inside. The subtle smell of mouldy fabrics and wood stain stood in the small room and a fine layer of dust had taken over any kind of furniture. Here and there a spider had sought shelter and build its web. The chamber was obviously unused and served as nothing but storage.

Without another word TaeYong turned and vanished into the adjoining room to their left. He shut the door before any of the three had time to cast a look inside and quickly returned with the two mentioned straw mats. “I hope these will be enough.”

YunHo accepted them gratefully. “They will be.”

TaeYong nodded a little strained. A morose expression crossed his face when he glanced into the room. “Don’t make a mess. Please,” he muttered and turned away.

Confused YunHo and ChangMin stared after him before they paid attention to their sleeping quarter. ChangMin raised an eyebrow at the stack of unused furniture resting in the right corner.

“Don’t make a mess he says.” He snorted and shook his head when he helped YunHo with the mats.

“Don’t question him,” was YunHo’s only response before they continued to set up their place for the night.

JaeJoong carefully moved about the room in the meantime and looked at it closely. A surge of melancholy overtook him just like during their first encounter with TaeYong. At first glance this room seemed unfinished more than just unused. The furniture, where Yunho and ChangMin found a handful of dusty pillows, rested in the right corner in an unloving manner and seemed out of place. His gaze wandered over the timbered walls. They were handcrafted and indeed younger than the remains of the house. His fingers ran along the planks when he stepped to the left side. A subtle warmth tingled in his finger tips.

He closed his eyes and paused for a moment. This room had been built with care and love, and yet it felt deeply … lonesome. JaeJoong furrowed his eyebrows. Inside these walls love was attended by grief and sorrow. Unsure he opened his eyes and immediately they fell onto a single object beneath the only window of the room. It was the only item completely covered by a white cloth. He caught his breath and hesitated a moment before he let his fingers run along the clothed outlines. He gave a sudden sob and buried his face in his hands.

Bewildered YunHo and ChangMin looked at him. “What’s wrong with him?” ChangMin asked softly when JaeJoong fell sobbing onto his knees.

YunHo furrowed his eyebrows in worry. “I’m not sure,” he breathed and walked over to JaeJoong. He crouched down next to his shaking figure and eyed him closely. A trail of tears ran along his cheeks and were encased with his hands. Wordlessly YunHo draped his arms around JaeJoong and held him close. Sobbing the smaller buried his face in the crook of YunHo’s neck and wrapped his arms around him.

YunHo buried his fingers in JaeJoong’s cropped hair and rocked the latter back and forth in a soothing manner. He shushed softly into his ear and let his other hand run circles on his back. It took a few minutes before JaeJoong calmed down and loosened his grip on YunHo’s gown. Embarrassed he turned from YunHo and wiped away his spilled tears.

YunHo stayed by his side. “What happened?” he asked softly and earned a light shake of the head. He hummed thoughtfully. “That bad?” JaeJoong looked sadly at him and nodded. His gaze drifted to the clothed object for a brief moment. “You don’t want to tell me what this is,” YunHo stated and deeply grieved JaeJoong lowered his head.

YunHo sighed. “Okay.” He ruffled gently through JaeJoong’s hair. “Don’t burden yourself with it, you hear me?” he whispered into his ear and hugged him tight. JaeJoong nodded into the crook of his neck before he disengaged from him.

 

*

 

That night it was JaeJoong who wasn’t able to sleep. He didn’t mind the roaring storm outside as much as the dreadful thing across from him. His eyes always again drifted back to the white cloth and let sadness and grief resurface.

Sighing he turned away and set his eyes onto YunHo’s back. It rose steadily and YunHo’s even breathing accompanied ChangMin’s deep one. He extracted his fingers in another attempt to grab onto YunHo’s gown but he pulled back once again. He didn’t want to trouble YunHo’s sleep any more than his own.

Carefully he slipped from the straw mat and shivered all over once his coat slipped from his shoulders. Hugging himself he moved carefully towards the door and silently opened it. Snugly warmth greeted him when he stepped into the hallway and he was still able to hear the crackling fire. He paused on his way to the lavatory.

TaeYong stood at the window of the dining hall and looked into the stormy night. He turned around when JaeJoong shuffled over the bare ground and eyed him calmly. JaeJoong’s eyes were drawn to a fine necklace around TaeYong’s neck. It was a little tight for him and probably had belonged to a female once. He the fine jewellery gently and turned a night blue blossom between his thumb and index finger.

An apologetic smile scurried over TaeYong’s lips. “You’ve seen it, haven’t you?” JaeJoong eyed him warily. “The cot.”

JaeJoong swallowed a lump and nodded.

TaeYong lowered his eyes and let go of the necklace. “You voiceless really have a keen perception,” he muttered and smiled dolefully. Surprised JaeJoong opened his eyes wide. TaeYong looked at him for a brief moment before he turned to the window once more. “She always knew what was on my mind as well.”

Silently minutes were passing before TaeYong turned from the window with a sigh. “Take some of the blankets if you rather want to spend the night in here,” he muttered when he walked past JaeJoong into his room. JaeJoong wished him a mental good night and followed his advice. He snuggled into two woollen blankets near the fireplace and immediately fell asleep.

 

*****

 

Contrary to TaeYong’s prediction, the monsoon lasted only three instead of four days. Sceptically he eyed the almost cloudless sky as he led YunHo and JaeJoong towards his field of roses. ChangMin collected a few herbs from around the lodge in the meantime.

“I wouldn’t set sail just yet. We should wait for another few days and watch the weather first.”

Deep in thought YunHo only nodded. He was already engrossed with the night blue roses. The deep blue practically glowed from within the hollow and stretched across two wide fields surrounded by shrubs and evergreen conifers. On a closer look a subtle hue of black mixed with the deep blue.

“Beautiful,” he commented whilst already taking notes. “Have you planted these roses?” he asked excitedly as he leaned over the rare flowers.

TaeYong enclosed one of the blossoms lovingly. “My wife,” was all he responded gently before he turned from the field and made his way towards the river.

YunHo looked after him, bewildered. It was the first time that the older had shared something so private. Well, no. He had to correct that. It was the first time he shared something of personal content with him. JaeJoong had already become close with the older man a few days after their arrival. He didn’t question his friend about it, nor about JaeJoong’s preferred place of rest. Yet he had to admit that he felt a little left out.

Lost in his thoughts he advanced further in to sea of night blue roses. A small clearing grew in the middle of the vast field and he found JaeJoong kneeling in front of an object. He neared the other carefully and caught a glimpse of a stone. It was slender, had a smooth surface and splintered edges. A single rose was carved deep into the surface and had already been a little weathered.

Devotional YunHo sank down next to JaeJoong and set his eyes onto the tombstone. The inscription had suffered a little more than the rose and thus he couldn’t make out its content, but a fresh bouquet of night blue roses rested to its foundation. When he lowered his gaze to pray for the deceased, like JaeJoong, his eyes fell onto a small carved rattle. Deeply grieved he prayed for the deceased child as well.

A subtle breeze brushed through their hair. YunHo opened his eyes and immediately they were drawn to the wooden rattle once more. Gently JaeJoong’s fingers brushed over the weathered toy.

“Do you want to tell me about it?” he asked softly and looked up. JaeJoong flashed him a mild smile. YunHo cocked his head and returned the smile. “I get it. You don’t want to betray his trust.”

JaeJoong kept his smile when he looked at the grave once more. It was answer enough for YunHo.

In mutual silence they continued their documentation of Bleu Nuit until ChangMin called them for lunch.

 

*

 

A few days later the wind had gradually calmed thus TaeYong approved to cross the river with his fishing boat. He provided a stock on supplies, mostly dried fish and roasted nuts, and an additional vessel for water.

TaeYong declined any help in rowing and brought them carefully over the Verdant Current. Penned up in the small boat it swayed a little from one side to another and seemed to affect ChangMin on a nauseating level. TaeYong rowed a little more careful to not worsen the younger’s seasickness and thus they needed about an hour longer than planned to reach the other side of the Verdant Current.

They set ashore in the early evening hours and JaeJoong helped ChangMin out of the boat. He led the younger to a rock and let him rest against it whilst moistening his sweaty face with fresh water.

TaeYong handed YunHo the provisions and set his eyes onto JaeJoong. “You need to take good care of him. Even among the voiceless he is special,” he muttered with a soft smile scurrying over his lips.

YunHo furrowed his eyebrows. “You don’t have to tell me,” he muttered and flashed TaeYong a confident smile. “I know what to do.”

Astonished TaeYong looked at him. He snorted and to YunHo’s surprise fell into an amused chuckle. “The confidence of youth. C'est magnifique.”

Puzzled YunHo blinked at him when TaeYong made his way over to ChangMin and JaeJoong. With a huff he regarded the tight hug the older shared with his friend. He realized the stupidity of his jealousy when the parting became especially hard on JaeJoong and left him gazing sorrowfully onto the current even as TaeYong had long been out of sight.

YunHo put his arm around JaeJoong’s shoulder and held him close. “We gotta go. We might be lucky and reach the oak forest before nightfall.”

Wearily JaeJoong nodded and let YunHo take him by the hand leading him across Emerald’s meadows.

 

*

 

Night befell them earlier than expected and thus they rested in the midst of a meadow of wild flowers. At the crack of dawn they woke up and got rid of several blades of grass and insects scrambling over their clothing. Dutifully they documented the several species before they continued on their way.

Their route towards the oak forest led them through a vast scenery of meadows and fields lying waste. They looked for villages in vain and not a single person crossed their path. Despite its largeness the former Kingdom Emerald had always been sparsely populated. Since the dawn of time the oak forest had claimed most of the landscape and over centuries it had gained in size.

With advancing time the entity of the forest enfolded before their eyes and ranged over the horizon. They halted in front of some trees and took the time for a short nap. A crow’s call ripped them from their slumber and left them a little disoriented. Drowsily JaeJoong produced a quick sketch of the black bird before it spread its wings and flew into the sky.

After a light meal they advanced into the grove. The thick canopy caught any sign of light and thus the sun shed a shimmering green through the depths of the forest. The chirping of birds and curring of doves accompanied them on their way through the thicket and they encountered a vast variety of species. Animals of any size and a handful of flowers and bushes presented themselves and thus it took YunHo, ChangMin and JaeJoong four days until they reached the centre of the large grove and with it the green temple.

Surrounded by magnolia shrubs the impressive building sat enthroned on a small raising where a streamlet s along. Exhausted they scaled the small hill and neared the entrance. They paused in front of the gate where a majestic wooden crow welcomed them and lowered their heads in respect before entering the temple’s grounds.

Aside from chirping birds it was completely still around them and thus they carefully advanced through an inner courtyard. They passed a vegetable patch and encountered a young monk. Surprised the boy looked up when their shadows darkened his vision.

He stood up, a small rake and shovel in his hands, and lowered his head in greeting, “Sveiki, Broliai iš pietų.”

The three followed his greeting with a light bow. “Labas, Broli,” ChangMin responded in clipped Emerald. He furrowed his eyebrows in thought before he addressed the young monk once more, “Mes vykdome imperijos misiją ir prašome prieglobsčio.”

A melodious chuckle pearled from the shorter boy’s lips and he hid an amused smile behind his gardening tools. “Eunsincheoga anila pyeon-uileul uimihandago saeng-gaghabnida [I believe you mean accommodation, not hideout],” he replied in perfect Ebony. ChangMin blushed and nodded in agreement. The younger put down his gardening tools and wiped his mucky hands on his dark green cowl as he stepped forward. “Yocheong-eul jesi hal su issdolog Brolis Hannibal-lo delyeogagessseubnida [I will take you to Brolis Hannibal so that you can present your request].”

They thanked him and followed him inside, encountering a few brothers on their way through the temple who eyed them curiously and greeted them in passing. An impressive archive soon enfolded before them, rather a library, and they followed the boy awestruck past the rows of ceiling heigh shelves filled to the brim with parchments, pells and bound books.

He led them to a corner facing an open garden where an aged monk sat cross-legged on the patio and was deeply engrossed in a book. The cropped top of his head was still of light brown colour and a bumblebee was rotating around it.

The younger monk motioned for them to wait a moment before he walked over to the older Brother and knelt down next to him. “Brolis Hannibal,” he addressed the other and lowered his head, “Atsiprašome už trukdymą, bet kaip svečiai mes turime brolių iš pietų.”

The older gently closed his book. “Jūs sakote iš pietų,” he replied with a deep smooth voice whilst rising to his feet.

“Taip,” the boy said and stayed on his knees.

“Geuleom heugdan-eun hwolssin deo jagyeog-i doel geos-ibnida, naneun midseubnida [Then Ebony will be much more eligible, I believe],” Hannibal concluded with perfect pronunciation and turned around with a mild smile.

YunHo, ChangMin and JaeJoong bowed in gratitude. “Maeu salyeo gip-eun, Brolis Hannibal [That’s very thoughtful of you, Brolis Hannibal],” YunHo replied with a slight accent.

Hannibal waved it off still smiling. “Naega hal su-issneun choesohan-ui gongsig eon-eo sayong. Hyeongje nim, uliege mueos-eul gajyeo obnikka? [Using the official language is the least I can do. What brings you to us, Brothers?]” he asked and let his maroon eyes wander over each of them.

“Je ileum-eun YunHo ibnida [My name is YunHo],” YunHo introduced himself and stepped forward with his assignment in hand. “Nae maseuteo Mog-eul daesinhayeo naneun Beo niche-ui dongsigmul-eul giloghaneun hwangje immuleul suhaenghago issseubnida [On behalf of my master Mok I am on an imperial mission to document Vernice’s flora and fauna].” He gestured to his right. “I yeohaeng-eseo naleul dowajuneun JaeJoong-hyeongje wa ChangMin-hyeongje ibnida [These are Brother JaeJoong and Brother ChangMin who assist me on this journey].”

Hannibal nodded with a hum. “Algess-eoyo. Yeojeong-e daehan memo oeedo chamgohal hyeonji sawon-ui gilog bogwansoleul chaj-eusibsio [I see. In addition to your notes along your journey you seek the local temples’ archives for reference as well, I assume].”

“Majseubnida. Geugeos-i na-ege neomu mugwansimhaji anhdamyeon, naneun doseogwan juwileul dol-a danigo sipseubnida. Jeongmal nollabseubnida [That’s right. If it’s not too insolent of me, I would love to roam around your library. It’s really striking].”

Hannibal laughed softly. “Sasil-ibnida [That it is, indeed].” He motioned for the young monk next to him to rise. “Brolis Vilius,” ChangMin paused at the name, “chinjeolhago sonnim-eul uli sugsolo delyeogaseyo [be so kind and lead our guests to our sleeping quarters].” He turned his attention back to YunHo, “I gin yeojeong-i dangsin-eul keuge jichyeossda go hwagsinhabnida. Swieo la. [I’m sure this long journey exhausted you greatly. Take a rest.]”

Relieved the three lowered their heads. “Jeongmal gamsahabnida [Thank you very much].”

 

*****

 

The Brotherhood of the green temple was small but very obliging and offered a helping hand to YunHo and his companions whenever needed. ChangMin used the chance and engaged in coaching of the emerald language to strengthen his understanding whilst YunHo slowly advanced through the library’s content with Brolis Vilius by his side whenever ChangMin was unavailable.

A few days into their research ChangMin stumbled upon an aged book amongst a pile of diaries. By the look of its yellowed and slightly ripped parchments it was of very old origin thus he handled it very carefully. He caught his breath once he opened the first page and identified it as a diary of the Brolis Vilius he had discovered at the purple temple, dated back over 350 years.

Excitedly ChangMin took the diary and carried it with him ever since. Every spare hour he would read the ancient writing and take notes when he came across an interesting passage. YunHo had asked him once about his current reading and left him to his discovery when ChangMin had mentioned its content.

Often he sat on the patio of the library and indulged into the writing. One afternoon he finally reached the passage he had been hoping to find. In the meantime YunHo and JaeJoong had wandered off into the forest in company of the young Brolis Vilius to document a few of the local species and thus he was able to fully concentrate on the text.

His eyebrows were furrowed when he tried to make out the fine handwriting that had blurred greatly on a few pages and mumbled to himself a few words he was able to make out. “Keturi … g-” he squinted his eyes, “gyvenimai … maitinamas anglimis … p- … pe-” He raised his head with a start, eyes wide open. “Pelenai gimė!” he exclaimed and stared astonished at the word.

“Aswi aeswi [Ah, the Ash-born].”

ChangMin turned at the smooth voice and gaped at Hannibal who approached him with a musing expression.

“Naega majimag-eulo deul-eossdeon ji kkwae sigan-i jinass-eo [It’s been quite some time since I last heard of him],” the older muttered and sat down next to ChangMin. Lost of words he simply blinked dumbfounded at the older who let his eyes wander to his reading. “Brolis Vilius-ui josang ilgileul chaj-assseubnida [I see you found the diary of Brolis Vilius’ ancestor].”

ChangMin looked down onto the book. “Geuui josang [His ancestor],” he mumbled and couldn’t help but imagine the young monk.

Hannibal nodded with a gentle smile. “Ne. Geudeul-eun ttohan gongtongjeom-i manh-eun geos gatseubnida. [Why yes. They also seem to have a lot in common],” he declared when he looked into the garden. “I gajog-egeneun hogisim-iissneun geos gatseubnida [It seems that curiosity runs in this family]”

ChangMin gnawed on his bottom lip. “Mul-eobwado doelkkayo [May I ask something]?”

Hannibal turned to him with an encouraging hum. ChangMin looked the older in the eye.

“Geuga eongeub han-i yeeon [This prophecy he mentions],” he paused a moment at Hannibal’s scrutinising gaze and his lips, “geuneun jeongmal wonbon-eul ilg-eossseubnikka [has he really read the original]?”

Hannibal looked at him for a moment before he leaned back with a hum and folded his arms. “Geuneunhaessda. Naega silsuhaji anh-eumyeon geuui ilgiedo eongeubhaeyahabnida. [He did. If I’m not mistaken it should be mentioned in his diary as well]”

ChangMin furrowed his eyebrows. “Jeongmal? [Really]” he asked sceptical and turned the book in his hands from one side to the other.

Hannibal extended his hand. ChangMin cocked his head and blinked at the outstretched palm for a moment. He glanced back onto the book before he handed it over. Carefully Hannibal skimmed through the pages and paused on the former page of the one ChangMin had been reading. It was awfully blurred and Hannibal had to raise the book to have a closer look. He squinted his eyes. “Geulsseyo, ilg-gi eolyeobgo mandeulgiga swibji anhseubnida [Well, it’s not very legible and hard to make out],” he commented and put his finger on a line before he showed it to ChangMin.

The younger leaned over and squinted his eyes. He could decipher a few single letters and a word here and there, but couldn’t grasp the content at all. He shook his head and leaned back with a sigh. “Naneun jeongmallo geugeos-eul mandeul su eobs-seubnida. [I really can’t make it out]”

An understanding smile tucked on Hannibal’s lips. “Injeonghal su-issneun salam-eun geoui eobs-seubnida. Wonlae munguleul seonhohabnikka animyeon ohilyeo beon-yeog haessseubnikka? [Only few can, I have to admit. Do you prefer the original wording or rather have it translated?]”

Relieved ChangMin returned the smile. “Ganeunghamyeon wonbon. [The original, if possible]” He got hold of his journal and quill.

Hannibal looked down at his writing utensils. “Naneun dangsin-eul wihae geugeos-eul jeog-eul su issseubnida [I could write it down for you],” he offered and gladly ChangMin accepted. They moved to a table and immediately Hannibal wrote down the original passages mentioning the prophecy. He furrowed his eyebrows whilst writing, “I seong-guui naeyong-ii seongbyeog bakkat-e eongeubdoeeoseoneun andoendaneun geos-eul yeoleobun-i algo issgileul balabnida. [I hope you are aware that the content of these particular passages should never be mentioned outside these walls.]”

ChangMin straightened on his knees and swallowed. “Mullon-iya. [Of course]” Hannibal raised his eyes for a moment and looked at him. With a hum he returned to his task at hand, “Joh-eun. [Good]”

 

*

 

It should take them two weeks before they worked through the entire library and documented any information about the local flora and fauna. ChangMin didn’t share his progress on translating Brolis Vilius’ record until he was finished.

On the night before their departure he lay awake whilst the entity of the temple was fast asleep. He tossed and his futon and looked at the wall and a slumbering YunHo by turns. Sighing he remained on his left and looked at YunHo. Furrowing his eyebrows he lifted himself on his elbow and gently shook the older’s shoulder.

“YunHo,” he whispered and nudged his shoulder harder when the other grumbled. “YunHo, wake up,” he whispered a little louder and peeked over YunHo’s shoulder when JaeJoong shifted behind the taller. He waited a moment until JaeJoong lay still again and tried to wake YunHo once more.

Groggily the older grumbled under his breath and turned towards ChangMin. His eyelids fluttered when he peeked sleepily at the other towering above him. “Chammin whad,” he drawled and blinked heavily. A fierce yawn erupted from his lips and he shivered beneath the covers.

“Sorry for waking you but I need to tell you something,” ChangMin breathed and shifted a little closer to YunHo whilst lying down.

YunHo hummed sleepily and closed his eyes. “Can’t it wait till tomorrow?” he breathed and snuggled deeper into his pillow.

ChangMin gnawed on his bottom lip. “The prophecy’s keeping me awake.”

“Prophshi?” YunHo drawled when he buried his nose in his covers. It only lasted a minute when he jolted up. “What?!” he exclaimed in a mixture of drwosiness and being wide awake.

ChangMin shushed him and motioned for him to lie down again. “Be quiet,” he breathed and looked around once more. Relieved he sank back onto his pillow. YunHo’s sleep-laden eyes were lingering on him inquiringly. “You remember the diary I found a few weeks ago?” YunHo’s eyebrows furrowed before he nodded slowly. “I found the passage about the prophecy I mentioned back in the purple temple. It wasn’t very legible but Brolis Hannibal was so kind to write down the full original.”

He paused a moment and locked his eyes with YunHo. The latter’s eyes had widened and lips parted in anticipation. “I finally managed to fully translate it.”

YunHo swallowed. “What does it say?”

“First of all, the original prophecy must be in the golden temple of Saffron. Brolis Vilius had been there when he came across its content,” ChangMin explained softly and had YunHo listening very attentively. “He didn’t capture the entire prophecy in his diary but a fracture he found very promising for Vernice’s future salvation.”

YunHo caught his breath. “Go on.”

ChangMin nodded. “I’ll try to cite word-for-word.” He shifted on his futon to get a more comfortable position. “A span of five human lives shall pass until hope will resurface in voicelessness. In flames nurtured with coal the Ash-born will see the light of day.” Reverent silence befell them when ChangMin paused. “He did mention something about the rise of the new phoenix and the downfall of Ebony’s reign, but it wasn’t as specific as the part of the actual prophecy.”

The even breathing of the monks accompanied their pondering silence. “So your theory was right,” YunHo whispered after a while and had ChangMin furrowing his eyebrows in confusion. “The Ash-born was born when Charcoal was burned down.”

ChangMin’s face lit in recognition. “Right, I said that.”

Sleep overtook them fast afterwards and let them fall into a deep slumber. YunHo was once again visited with a long forgotten dream.

‘What’s distressing you, JaeHyun?’

A sigh. ‘I’ve heard rumours.’

‘Rumours?’

‘Yes.’ A short silence. ‘Master Mok, is it true that the Black Emperor destroyed Charcoal because he feared a voiceless being born?’

A pregnant silence followed. ‘Where did you hear about this?’

‘The market of Town Crimson.’

A thoughtful hum.

‘Master Mok, please.’ A desperate whine followed. ‘I have to know if it is true.’

‘What is it exactly that you’re worried about?’

Rustling of clothing and a strained sigh. ‘My son.’

‘JaeJoong?’ A surprised notch followed by silence. ‘What does he have to do with this?’

Someone leaned heavily onto a wooden table. A muffled voice, ‘You know I found him.’

‘I remember, yes. It was a true blessing for the both of you.’

‘Indeed.’ A fond sigh followed again by silence.

‘Well?’

Subtle gnashing of teeth followed by a soft whisper, ‘I found him right after the disastrous fire.’

‘I don’t understand.’

‘I found him on Charcoal’s ashen remains.’

A surprised intake of breath.

‘He was unharmed.’

 

*

 

When YunHo woke up the following morning he was deeply confused. He was awfully tight-lipped throughout the provided breakfast and their departure, that JaeJoong tugged on his coat once they left.

A little disoriented he looked over his shoulder. JaeJoong’s eyebrows were furrowed and head cocked to the side. ChangMin watched the scene closely and matched JaeJoong’s inquiring expression.

YunHo ruffled through his own hair with a sigh. “It’s nothing. Don’t worry.” JaeJoong folded his arms and pursed his lips as he narrowed his eyes in on him. He stepped back and raised his hands. “It’s nothing, I swear.”

JaeJoong twisted his mouth and stared at him briefly. Sighing he turned away and poked into YunHo’s arm. Smiling softly the latter rubbed over it and followed after JaeJoong and a confused ChangMin southwards through the forest.

YunHo kept his thoughts to himself after that, only letting them resurface at night. ChangMin, likewise, didn’t mention the prophecy outside the green temple just like he had promised Brolis Hannibal. Unfortunately JaeJoong had a special ability to know when something was amiss and thus he kept pestering them for the following days.

At times he would glare at them when they didn’t share their troubling thoughts with him, at others he would leave with a huff. His mood gradually worsened the further they closed in on Ebony’s ancient borders looming behind the great Amber Lake. He was unusually unsettled at night and barely caught some sleep.

Any attempt of the other two to converse with him he grumpily ignored and caught YunHo by surprise especially. The situation escalated one night, after several sleepless nights for JaeJoong, when they once again were chased out of a village of mistrustful people.

“Glad we didn’t run into imperial guards again,” YunHo gasped when they found a secure place for the night in an abandoned barn.

JaeJoong waved about with his hands in an aggressive manner and clicked his tongue.

ChangMin blinked at him in wonder and YunHo raised an eyebrow. “I definitely will not translate this for you,” he declared and halted JaeJoong from getting hold of a parchment. “Will you please calm down? What is even wrong with you?”

JaeJoong glared at him and puffed his cheeks. His eyebrows furrowed in thought before he irritatedly shook his head.

“Is it possible that you’re sensitive to Ebony’s reigns?” ChangMin asked after a while and had them both gaping at him. He shrugged his shoulders. “Well, you’ve been edgy ever since we crossed the ancient borders and you haven’t slept at all.”

JaeJoong clicked his tongue and narrowed his eyes in on the younger.

YunHo let go of his wrists. “There’s some truth in it.” JaeJoong gestured vividly with his fingers and more than once poked YunHo’s chest. “Hey, hey. It’s definitely not just because of that.” He gently cupped JaeJoong’s face. “You’ve become awfully pale, you know,” he breathed and thumbed over the deep circles under his eyes.

Confused JaeJoong stared into YunHo’s eyes and leaned against him. He trembled slightly.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with you,” YunHo replied when JaeJoong clutched onto his overcoat. “I think ChangMin is right though. These lands are not good for you.”

They decided to not spend more time in Ebony than necessary in hopes that it wouldn’t affect JaeJoong any more than it already did.

 

*

 

It took them five days before the black temple and the town walls of Great Ebony loomed in the distance. They had stayed away from any possible village on their way and with each passing day JaeJoong’s lack of sleep had taken more toll on his body.

By the time they finally closed in on the stony sanctuary with the setting sun, JaeJoong’s knees gave way and he collapsed completely devitalised. YunHo had rushed over to his side and carefully held him in a sitting position. “You okay?” he whispered and brushed a few strands from JaeJoong’s sweaty forehead. The black haired shook his head weakly as he leaned heavily against YunHo’s chest.

YunHo’s eyebrows furrowed when he put his palm on JaeJoong’s forehead. “You’ve got a fever,” he muttered and looked at ChangMin. The younger gave a curt nod and immediately wetted a small sized cloth YunHo handed him.

Gently he dabbed JaeJoong’s forehead and looked worriedly at the older. His breathing was anything but stable and he trembled against YunHo’s figure.

“The temple’s right over there,” ChangMin muttered and pointed at their destination. “You think you can make it?”

JaeJoong gave a gurgled whine when his head dropped against YunHo’s shoulder.

“What are we going to do?” ChangMin asked YunHo whilst his eyes were lingering on JaeJoong.

YunHo didn’t need to think twice. “Could you take over?” he asked and gently pushed JaeJoong a little forward, who protested with a grumble as his head fell forwards against ChangMin’s shoulder.

“Sure,” ChangMin muttered and let the wet cloth and his water bottle drop when JaeJoong was on the verge of dropping to the side. “YunHo, what are you?” he inquired softly with furrowed eyebrows when YunHo pulled off his overcoat and shoulder bag.

“I’ll carry him,” YunHo declared before he knelt behind JaeJoong and put the garment over his trembling shoulders. “Fasten this around him,” he declared and his feet. “Put him on my back. I hope he can still hold onto me.”

ChangMin did as told and carefully turned JaeJoong around. He put his weakened arms over YunHo’s shoulders and supported his back.

“Okay, JaeJoong. You have to hold onto me tight, you hear me?” YunHo mumbled and cast a short glance over his shoulder.

JaeJoong groaned softly in response as he buried his face in the nape of YunHo’s neck and instinctively embraced his shoulders.

YunHo smiled. “That’s it,” he praised and took a deep breath. “ChangMin?” The younger hummed. “I’ll stand up now. Make sure he doesn’t fall off.”

“Of course,” ChangMin replied and steadied JaeJoong when YunHo slowly but surely rose to his feet. He clasped the hollows of JaeJoong’s knees with his arms and carefully hoisted him up a little until he found a solid footing.

YunHo heaved a deep breath. “All right. Let’s go.” JaeJoong had fallen into a feverish slumber by the time they reached the temple and sought for shelter. Despite their general distrustfulness, the black Brotherhood welcomed them and took care of their sick companion.

 

*****

 

JaeJoong slept through a total of three days in which YunHo and ChangMin used any time they didn’t sit beside him in the temple’s archive under strict surveillance. Seldom they explored the landscape nearest to their accommodation as the accompanying monks, first of all, didn’t want them to wander off too far. Second, they really didn’t want to leave JaeJoong alone despite him sleeping like a log. His fever had finally eased and his tossing and turning had come to stop over the past three days and thus it was only a question of time when he would wake up.

YunHo and ChangMin let their eyes wander over Ebony’s landscape and Great Ebony in the west one afternoon whilst musing about JaeJoong’s condition. It was the only private matter they dared to talk about within the temple’s walls and, even more so, in YunHo’s mother tongue Crimson.

“I’m glad that he’s finally on the mend. Just when I think to that first night and his feverish spasm,” ChangMin muttered and shivered at the memory.

YunHo sighed and turned from Great Ebony to the eastern landscape. “I feel you on that one,” he breathed and let his eyes wander. In the distance he could make out a familiar range of mountains. Immediately the picture of Hanne and her stallion flashed before his eyes and a smile tucked on his lips, “Syrinbjerge.”

ChangMin grinned. “You kept it in mind.” YunHo grinned back at him and turned at a scoff behind them.

“Ulineun geudeul-eul Jajusaek san-ilago buleubnida. Igeos-eul myeongsimhasibsio [We call them Jajusaek-san. Please bear this in mind],” the middle aged monk reminded them in his mother tongue with a stoic face. The notch in his clear voice, however, didn’t tolerate any other option.

The two lowered their heads. “Mullon-iya [Of course],” they replied in unison and halted their conversation. Instead they made their way back inside and reached JaeJoong’s bedside just as the black haired stirred.

He groaned when he turned his head from one side to the other and stretched out beneath his covers. A gurgling noise left his lips when he yawned fiercely, ChangMin casting a look over his shoulder whilst YunHo checked on JaeJoong’s forehead. Thankfully the watchful brothers had left for a brief moment to prepare a light meal for their recovering patient.

YunHo smiled down at JaeJoong when the latter’s eyes fluttered open. “Good morning, sleepyhead.”

JaeJoong blinked drowsily at him. His eyebrows furrowed when he looked a little around and the crease between his eyes deepened when he couldn’t make out his surroundings.

“We’re at Ebony’s temple,” YunHo explained and leaned a bit back when JaeJoong turned to look at him. He blinked furiously and bent his head a little down. “You’ve been asleep for the past three days.”

JaeJoong’s eyes widened and he jolted a little up. With a groan he sank down again and held his head.

Gently YunHo patted the top of his head. “Take it easy,” he mumbled, “you’ve had a horrible fever.”

ChangMin rose from his kneeling position. “I’ll just take a look if the brothers have prepared something to eat.”

JaeJoong blinked sleepily after him.

“He’s been worried as well, you know,” YunHo mumbled and ruffled through JaeJoong’s hair abstractedly. JaeJoong’s fingers closed around YunHo’s wrist gently as he stared at him apologetically. YunHo simply smiled and patted his head until ChangMin returned with a tray and a handful of the brothers on his heels.

 

*

 

JaeJoong recovered gradually and after a few days he had enough strength to join YunHo and ChangMin in their research. Mostly he just sat next to them and skimmed through a pell here and there instead of producing one of his sketches. His hands, and fingers especially, were still to weak to hold his pencil for a longer time and trembled greatly under too much strain.

His current inability to draw was not his only concern though. At first he thought that the ebony brothers kept an eye on him because of a possible relapse. With passing time it felt though as if they were examining him closely.

YunHo furrowed his eyebrows over the shaky note he had slipped to him before he carefully cast a glance onto the two monks that were observing them. Indeed he found the second to be more intrigued with JaeJoong than their doing. He quickly scribbled a response underneath JaeJoong’s note.

You think they figured out your voicelessness?

JaeJoong nodded subtly when he glanced onto the piece of parchment. YunHo’s grumble caught ChangMin’s attention.

“What’s wrong?” he asked curiously. The two monks in the back straightened and narrowed their eyes in on their soft conversation.

YunHo glanced over his shoulder when he leaned a bit over. “There’s a word I don’t understand,” he declared and showed ChangMin the particular passage on the parchment.

Confused ChangMin stared down onto JaeJoong’s note atop the parchment YunHo was working on. “Oh that,” he exclaimed and lowered his head a little to scribble something. “That means root vegetable.”

We should leave once JaeJoong regained some of his strength

“Of course!” YunHo stated and slipped the note back to JaeJoong when he leaned a bit over. “Now the passage about radish makes sense.” They all shared a quick glance before they focused onto their respective readings.

The monks in the back had relaxed on their knees again.

 

*

 

It was JaeJoong who just two days later pressed for them to journey on. Despite being still a little wobbly on his legs, he found their stay in the black temple more and more insufferable. He felt uneasy around the monks and YunHo and ChangMin feared that the brotherhood would catch up on JaeJoong’s growing dislike.

Thus they left the temple on the third day after JaeJoong’s awakening and just a few minutes later were stopped at the massive gates of Vernice’s first capital Great Ebony. The group of guards didn’t bother to hide their aversion and distrust when their captain grumpily inquired about their purpose in town.

Snickering resounded among the other guards upon YunHo’s poor pronunciation when he explained their purpose and handed the captain his documents. The slender man eyed the papers languidly and didn’t bother to make haste.

JaeJoong inched closer to YunHo and lowered his head when he became aware of a bulky guard’s scrutinising stare. He clicked his tongue disdainfully. “I yeonkkoch haechung jung hana in beulli heu. [Blegh, one of these lotus vermin again.]” He spat onto the ground in disgust.

JaeJoong clutched at YunHo’s overcoat and unconsciously moved closer behind his back. With growing concern YunHo eyed the captain and hoped that he would finish controlling his papers and let them pass.

Disapprovingly the slender man let his eyes wander over them. His lips twitched with aversion. “Geunyang yeohaenghago sipni? [You just want to travel through?]”

YunHo gulped and nodded. A snide comment interrupted his answer, “Machi gippeum-eul wihae yeoyuleul gajil su-issneun geoscheoleom. [As if they could afford staying for pleasure]” Approving bellowing followed the comment.

“Geudeul-eun simjieo jeulgeoum ilaneun dan-eoleul algo issseubnikka? [Do they even know the word pleasure?]” Another bellowing erupted and had the group of guards shaking with laughter.

YunHo tried his best to ignore them and answered the captain, “Ye, geunyang yeohaeng jung-ibnida. [Yes, just travelling through]”

The captain scrunched his nose and handed YunHo back his papers. He turned from them and snarled at the top of the gate, “Geudeul-i tong-gwahaja! [Let them pass]” Seconds later the massive gate creaked open and revealed Great Ebony.

Tensed they went through and were immediately surrounded by ear-deafening racket.

Grumbling ChangMin followed after YunHo. “This is worse than Town Turquoise,” he complained and hoped that none of the people crossing their path was able to understand Crimson.

“Indeed,” YunHo agreed and bumped into a middle-aged man. “Mian haeyo [I’m sorry],” he apologized with the hint of an accent and lowered his head.

The man, dressed in fine brocade of the Sapphire region, arrogantly looked them up and down. “Ganeun gos-ejuuihasibsio [Pay attention to where you are going],” he declared in a snobbish tone and held his head high when he passed them. “Haechung. [Vermin]”

Taken aback the three stared after the flouncing man.

“Well, aren’t they just …” ChangMin commented and grumbled when a young nobleman, by the looks of it, bumped into him without any word of apology, “pleasant.”

“Let’s just get out of this crowd,” YunHo suggested when yet another woman almost ran them over and glared at them for standing in the way. “If we’re lucky we might even find an affordable accommodation before night comes down. We won’t cross the entity of Great Ebony in the next three days anyway.”

ChangMin’s eyes widened as they moved against the crowd. “Three days?!”

YunHo simply nodded and instinctively grabbed JaeJoong’s hand behind him to keep him close in this sea of people. “Yes. My master once mentioned it. Either way we should cover as much distance as JaeJoong is able to handle.” He looked over his shoulder. “You let us know when you’re at your limit, you hear me?” Pouting JaeJoong simply nodded.

They weaved through the large gathering on the streets, passing a handful of noble looking accommodations and taverns, and crossed a huge marketplace were merchants offered their goods for sale.

They had left the bustling activity behind them by the evening and found themselves in a quieter district filled with several housing lodges. Tired they followed a promising sign along a small alley and stumbled upon a guesthouse led by an elder lady. Suspicious at first, she questioned them and agreed to let them stay for the night. It cost them half of their remaining finances but gifted them with a bed each and the possibility to take a warm bath after a journey lasting for months.

By dawn they left their cosy accommodation and had already reached another district with the rising of the sun. Few townspeople were out that early in the day and by the looks of their attire they seemed to be in a district particularly reserved for craftsmen. Time and again they came across patrolling guards and more than once YunHo had to show his papers and answer their inquiries. After yet another verification of their purpose in town, YunHo registered JaeJoong’s heavy breathing.

“Are you okay?”

JaeJoong furrowed his eyebrows and regarded his question with a shrug. YunHo grumbled over his response and ignored JaeJoong’s protest when he felt his forehead.

“You really don’t look well,” commented ChangMin when JaeJoong insisted to continue on their way. The spikes of the Sable Fortress were already looming over the roofs of the town when they neared the centre of Great Ebony at a slow pace.

YunHo halted. “You didn’t sleep,” he exclaimed calmly and had the other two stopping as well. Sheepishly JaeJoong turned away. “Am I right?” YunHo asked softly and had JaeJoong nodding with a resigned sigh. He scowled at his friend and gently flicked his forehead before he grasped JaeJoong’s hand.

Wordlessly he led him towards a fountain they had previously passed and sat down in front of its stony pedestal. Confused JaeJoong sank down next to him and found himself immediately pressed to YunHo’s side.

“We take a break right now,” YunHo declared when he made himself comfortable and gently laid JaeJoong’s head on his shoulder. “You try to sleep. No arguments.”

Despite pouting at the overprotective treatment he didn’t object and tried to relax against YunHo’s side. He shifted around a little to find a comfortable position and had YunHo put his arm around him without a word. Sighing into the crook of YunHo’s neck JaeJoong closed his eyes.

ChangMin had sat down on the wall of the fountain in the meantime and got hold of his journal.

YunHo looked over his gathered notes likewise with one hand whilst his other absentmindedly over JaeJoong’s shoulder. A small smile soon spread over his lips when JaeJoong’s deep and even breathing echoed in his ear.

They stayed in this position for the remains of the forenoon and didn’t really register the curious stares of the craftspeople passing by. When JaeJoong threatened to slump forwards in his deep slumber, YunHo laid him down onto his thigh instead. Gently he ran his fingers through JaeJoong’s regrowing black hair whilst ChangMin got rid of his overcoat and spread it over his figure.

Three hours passed before JaeJoong awakened quite well rested and, after a light meal, they continued on their way through town. Their relief over JaeJoong’s improved condition didn’t last however.

When they reached the impressive Sable Fortress, the toast of the capital and domicile of the Black Emperor, JaeJoong was overrun by a surge of queasiness. He stopped short and tried to suppress the urge to vomit. Calm and deep he breathed through his nose whilst pressing his right palm over his mouth.

Concerned YunHo and ChangMin halted as well. His friend cupped his sallow cheeks and eyed him closely.

“You’re cold,” YunHo muttered and thumbed along JaeJoong’s cheekbone. “This really reminds me of ChangMin in TaeYong’s boat.”

ChangMin didn’t even protest when JaeJoong immediately trembled and held onto his middle with his left arm. Alarmed they quickly escorted him towards the small river surrounding the massive stony stronghold.

Exhausted JaeJoong dropped onto his knees and leaned a bit over the water. YunHo held him by his shoulders when he tried to freshen his face. His gaze fell onto the Sable Fortress reflected in the clear water and immediately the queasiness gained the upper hand over his body.

YunHo gripped his shoulders tightly when he slumped forward and vomited into the river. YunHo and ChangMin ignored the disgusted whispers around them when townspeople as well as guards were passing as they took care of their sick companion.

“There, there,” YunHo breathed when JaeJoong’s nausea seemed to have calmed whilst he held him tight to his chest. Gently he wiped a wet cloth over JaeJoong’s sweaty forehead who weakly shook his head from one side to the other. He furrowed his eyebrows. “He doesn’t like it here.”

ChangMin took a deep breath. “No wonder,” he mumbled, “This place is making him sick. Literally.” His gaze wandered over the passing townspeople that shot them disapproving and disgusted glares. In the distance his eyes caught a tall man, with a lanky form and a mop of brown hair, watching the scene with quite appalling interest. He didn’t pay it any more attention when YunHo required his help in dragging JaeJoong as far from the stronghold’s grounds as possible.

 

*

 

Relieved YunHo and ChangMin settled onto a wooden chest at the foot of the bed they had tucked JaeJoong in and let their eyes wander about the room they had rented for the night. JaeJoong had immediately fallen into a deep slumber, despite being more asleep than awake when YunHo and ChangMin had dragged him further through Great Ebony than they had intended, and hadn’t even registered the grumpy elderly couple that had agreed to accommodate them in the middle of the night. The narrow yet quite comfortable space lightened their finances of a considerable amount and, to their luck, provided a divan below a small window.

“Will it even be enough for another accommodation?” ChangMin asked softly and leaned his head back a bit. Sighing he closed his eyes. “We’ll probably need another day before we can leave town.”

YunHo hummed deep in thought whilst casting a glance over his shoulder at JaeJoong’s sleeping figure. Gradually the latter’s queasiness had calmed down once the Sable Fortress had been out of sight and hadn’t stopped him from jokingly accusing the imperial monument of affecting his stomach.

YunHo smiled softly at the memory before he was overrun by a surge of fatigue. He straightened his back before he finally replied, “It’ll be enough. Don’t worry.”

“If you say so,” ChangMin mumbled before he yawned loudly. He stood up and moved his head from one side to the other. “Do you mind if I sleep on the divan?”

“Be my guest. There’s enough space next to JaeJoong for me,” YunHo breathed when he leaned a bit against the foot of the bed.

ChangMin simply nodded and doused a candle on the windowsill that had shed a warm light. Another one still glimmered on a night stand and cast a soft shadow over JaeJoong’s features. His gaze wandered into the moonlit night when he prepared his bedding with a woollen blanket. “There’s someone outside,” he whispered when he recognized a figure in the moonlight.

“What?” YunHo inquired softly after a yawn and rubbed over his sleepy eyes.

ChangMin grumbled. “I’m not really sure,” he muttered and furrowed his eyebrows, “but I think we’re being persecuted.”

Immediately YunHo was wide awake and quickly moved over to the window. His gaze followed the direction ChangMin was pointing at and caught sight of a lanky man whose eyes were directed at their accommodation. “What makes you thinking that he is following us?”

ChangMin pondered about it for a moment. “I think I’ve seen him before,” he declared softly and kept his eyes on the stranger. “When JaeJoong was presenting his core to the fortress’ river.”

YunHo snorted at ChangMin’s choice of words before he focused on their possible persecutor once more. “He doesn’t seem to see us though.”

ChangMin hummed. “I think he knows that we’re inside this lodge. Just not which window might be ours.” He averted his eyes from the stranger and sat down onto the divan.

YunHo’s eyes lingered a moment on the moonlit figure before he turned as well. “Maybe they suspect something,” he mumbled whilst moving over to the night stand. ChangMin looked at his back with furrowed eyebrows. “You still remember their reaction on the lotus, right?”

ChangMin made himself comfortable on his bedding and stared at the ceiling, pondering. “And the brotherhood’s subtle interest.”

YunHo halted a moment. “Let’s hope that we’re wrong about it,” he whispered before he blew out the candle and wrapped their chamber in darkness.

 

*****

 

It would take them another two days until they finally left Great Ebony behind them with an empty purse. To ChangMin’s and YunHo’s displeasure the stranger indeed kept following them in safe distance. He slightly fell behind when they crossed the vast valley landscape towards a coniferous forest in search of a sheltered place for the night.

JaeJoong hadn’t recovered from his nausea just yet and still felt a little shaky on his legs. He was thankful when they finally found an abandoned cave and decided to stay until he would regain most of his strength.

Time and again YunHo and ChangMin caught a glimpse on their insistent persecutor when they wandered through the forest by turns in search of food supplies easy to digest and a constant refill of their water.

“I think we should take the direct route towards the golden temple once JaeJoong has recovered,” YunHo mumbled one rainy afternoon whilst wetting JaeJoong’s forehead with a cloth. The latter slept calmly by now and could stay awake for a longer time.

ChangMin agreed with a curt nod. “It’d be best,” he mumbled and hovered over YunHo’s map to take a closer look in the light of their small bonfire. “I also think the Sonnenschein Berge could be of advantage.” He raised his eyes. “If you know what I mean.”

YunHo scowled as he nodded. He put the cloth aside and focused on the map as well. “We still should take a break at the Birch Forest. I’m on a mission after all.” He furrowed his eyebrows. “What was it originally called again?”

“Birkenwald,” ChangMin responded and tapped onto a green area east of the Sable Torrent. “We have to pass through it anyway.” He moved his finger to a pictured range of mountains spreading northwards and stopped in the middle of it. “There should be a pilgrimage route right here. It leads through the Sonnenschein Berge right up to the top and the temple.”

 

*

 

Just a few days later JaeJoong had finally overcome his sickness and was fit enough to continue on their journey. He was in a jolly mood once they left the cave and easily passed it on to YunHo and ChangMin. Chipper they crossed the coniferous forest and for a few hours YunHo and ChangMin were able to forget about the persistent shadow that was following after them.

They reached the Birkenwald after another four days and took a break beneath the leafy canopy. JaeJoong insisted on catching up with his sketches, that had been neglected for far too long, and easily added up to the completion of YunHo’s, by then third, journal.

Whilst drawing on a perfect copy of a white forest flower, which YunHo had explained to be an anemone and ChangMin had called Buschwindröschen, he registered a subtle movement in the thicket. He looked up and turned to his left. Cocking his head in wonder he registered a lanky brown haired man dressed in noble Ebony attire who moved westwards through the forest in a searching manner.

He was more than confused when he mentioned it to YunHo and the latter stopped short and let his journal as well as his quill drop onto the ground. ChangMin raised his mortified eyes to look at him.

YunHo grabbed JaeJoong’s shoulders and stared him right in the eye. “Where did he go?!” he asked with a tremor in his voice. JaeJoong just blinked, a slight furrow between his brows, and pointed westwards into the direction the stranger had vanished to.

Relieved YunHo heaved a breath and loosened his grip on JaeJoong’s shoulders. ChangMin sat down onto the ground with a likewise relieved sigh. JaeJoong scowled at them and folded his arms. They decided to fill JaeJoong in on the situation and quickly his scowl turned into an expression of worry.

“Don’t fret,” YunHo tried to console him and rubbed over his arms. “He’s already moving into the opposite direction so we might have a chance to shake him off.”

JaeJoong frowned.

“This actually requires,” ChangMin interrupted, “that we journey on immediately so we can reach the submontane part of the forest by nightfall.”

Quickly they gathered their belongings and moved northeast through the thicket whilst keeping a watchful eye on their back.

 

*

 

After a fitful night hidden in a montane crevice they continued their journey along the impressive range of mountains with the rising of the sun and crossed the amply meadows of Saffron’s landscape. A few hours in they were quite certain that they had shaken off their persecutor and fully enjoyed the flowery landscape around them.

They crossed a few fields of wheat and barley, a straw man watching over the crops, and to their left a small village enfolded. The sound of playing children echoed in the afternoon air and increased the further they moved forwards. Excited voices neared them soon and quickly they found themselves surrounded by a swarm of agitated and curious children of different ages.

“Wer seid ihr?”

“Wo kommt ihr her?”

“Wollt ihr zum Tempel?”

Like a waterfall the questions poured out of the children’s mouths of which ChangMin was barely able to understand half of their content.

“Was macht ihr denn da?” the warm voice of a woman exclaimed. “Kommt sofort hierher!” The softness in her voice betrayed her harsh tone and thus the children just sheepishly backed off and turned around. The owner of the voice stood on a small hill, her arms on her hips, and had her eyebrows raised. Her light brown hair was braided and framed her youthful face. One by one the children ran over to her when she neared YunHo, ChangMin and JaeJoong.

She halted a few steps in front of them and bent down once the children surrounded her. “Ihr sollt doch nicht mit Fremden reden. Ihr könnt nicht wissen was sie hier wollen,” she declared with a warning tone and raised her index finger.

“Ja, Fräulein SunHee,” most of the children replied in unison. Just a single blond haired boy stubbornly pouted.

“Aber es sind Mönche,” he said with a clear voice and turned to the three curiously. “Genau wie Markus.”

SunHee smiled at him and ruffled through his blond locks. “Du hast Recht, JungWoo. Aber du musst dennoch immer gut aufpassen.” She crouched down in front of him and patted his head. “Und es heißt Bruder Markus, das weißt du doch.”

She sent the children off to play on the meadow in front of the village and rose before she turned around. She bowed. “Ich muss mich für ihre Ungestümtheit entschuldigen.”

Confused YunHo and JaeJoong stared at her before they looked at ChangMin. The latter pondered about his response for a moment. “Ist schon gut,” he replied with a light accent and offered a smile. “Es sind Kinder.”

SunHee broke into a hearty laughter. Still chuckling she lowered her eyes to look at JungWoo who hadn’t followed the other children to play but curiously looked past her voluminous skirt instead. She patted his head fondly. “Das sind sie wohl.”

JungWoo’s big blue eyes were drawn to JaeJoong who likewise looked at the playing children with a gentle smile. The small boy stumbled forward and tugged slightly on JaeJoong’s cowl.

Startled JaeJoong looked down at the blond boy and cocked his head.

“Du,” JungWoo called out and looked up at him. He raised his hand and pointed with his stubby index finger at the lotus patched onto his chest. “Was bedeutet das?” he asked curiously and blinked.

Confused about the foreign words, JaeJoong pondered over JungWoo’s gesture and looked down at himself. He knelt down to be at eye level with the small boy and pointed at the lotus symbol whilst cocking his head.

ChangMin interrupted his advancing conversation with SunHee to help with a translation.

“No need,” YunHo interrupted his attempt and shook his head. A smile spread over his lips when he watched the curious pair. “I think they’ll get along just fine.”

ChangMin furrowed his eyebrows. “If you say so.”

Unaware of the discussion around them, JungWoo nodded eagerly at JaeJoong’s wordless inquiry.

A gentle smile lay on JaeJoong’s lips when he put his left index finger on top of them and shook his head.

A crease appeared between JungWoo’s blue eyes as he cocked his head. A pout appeared on his lips soon after and he stomped his right foot. “Geheimnisse sind doof.”

“JungWoo,” SunHee declared softly and had the boy looking at her. “Sei nett.”

“Aber ich will es wissen.” He stomped his foot once more and frustrated tears gathered in his eyes. “Blöde Geheimnisse.” Startled he turned around when JaeJoong grabbed his hand.

JaeJoong was still smiling when he asked for JungWoo’s attention by raising his left index finger. He pointed once more at his lips, let go of the small hand, and crossed his fingers.

JungWoo’s eyes widened and his lips parted. “Du kannst nicht sprechen?”

Alarmed SunHee advanced forward and put her hand over the boy’s mouth, “JungWoo!” Hysterically she looked around, and relaxed a little when she found no one in the near distance. She removed her hand from the confused boy and sighed. “Es ist unhöflich so etwas zu fragen.”

Crestfallen the boy drooped his head. “Warum darf ich das nicht?”

ChangMin crouched down next to a very confused JaeJoong. “Weißt du, was ein Schweigegelübde ist?” he asked the boy after he had chosen his words carefully.

Pouting the boy shook his head. “Was ist das?”

ChangMin smiled. “Das machen manche Mönch, weißt du. Dann dürfen sie nicht sprechen.”

JungWoo furrowed his eyebrows. “Das versteh ich nicht.”

ChangMin ruffled through the blond locks and smiled gently. “Ich kann dir das leider in deiner Sprache gar nicht so gut erklären.”

JungWoo’s face lit at that. “Dann frage ich Markus.” A big smile spread over the lively boy’s lips. “Mein großer Bruder weiß alles.” With that he dashed over to his friends and joined their play of tag.

SunHee shook her head in disbelief when she rose to her feet, “Dieser Junge.”

“Er ist sehr neugierig,” ChangMin replied and rose as well. He halted when JaeJoong tapped on his shoulder. He turned to look at the older who cocked his head, and looked at him just as puzzled as YunHo. “Right, I forgot.” He cleared his throat. “JungWoo was curious about the lotus on your cowl,” he started to explain and immediately had JaeJoong impatiently waving his hand to and fro.

“He knows that,” YunHo chimed in, “What about the argument though?”

ChangMin hummed. “He was wondering whether you’re voiceless.” JaeJoong’s eyes widened as he blinked in wonder. “I told him about the vow of silence. I couldn’t explain it well in Saffron though.” ChangMin shrugged with a sigh.

“Verzeiht,” SunHee interrupted them and clutched her hands before her skirt. ChangMin turned towards her. “Wärt Ihr so gut und bittet ihn um Verzeihung? JungWoo hat es nicht so gemeint.”

ChangMin hummed. “She offers an apology for JungWoo’s question,” he explained and registered with a small smile JaeJoong’s immediate shake of the head. “Es macht ihm nichts aus,” he said to SunHee who sighed in relief.

“Ihr seid sicher auf dem Weg zum Tempel, oder?” SunHee asked after a moment when they watched the playing children together.

ChangMin nodded. “Ja. Wir sind unterwegs, um Vernices Flora und Fauna zu dokumentieren,” he explained and halted for a moment. “Wie unhöflich. Wir haben uns gar nicht vorgestellt.”

SunHee chuckled. “Das beruht auf Gegenseitigkeit.” She lifted her skirt a bit and dropped a curtsy. “Mein Name ist SunHee, und ich kümmere mich um die Kleinsten unseres Dorfes.”

ChangMin bowed his head a little. “Ich bin Bruder ChangMin vom weißen Tempel.” He gestured at JaeJoong who immediately bowed in greeting. “Das ist Bruder JaeJoong vom roten Orden und zu seiner linken ist YunHo, ein Schüler von Meister Mok.” YunHo lowered his head in greeting as well once he heard the call of his name. “Ihm wurde diese Aufgabe in erster Linie zugeteilt.”

SunHee looked at them astonished. “Dann habt ihr sicherlich eine weite Reise hinter euch.”

ChangMin smiled softly. “Und weiterhin vor uns.”

A loud stomach rumble cut through the short silence that had come over them and had everyone taken aback. YunHo burst into an amused snicker when ChangMin looked over his shoulder.

JaeJoong’s cheeks had coloured as he sheepishly looked at the ground and tried to suppress the rumble by holding onto his middle.

SunHee chuckled. “Ich hoffe ihr mögt Knödel,” she simply declared and motioned them to follow her towards the village. Excitedly the children followed after them and quite naturally JungWoo got a hold of the surprised JaeJoong.

In their carefreeness they didn’t notice their persecutor in the distance who had managed to get himself a horse. With a triumphant grin he turned from the scene and spurred the animal through the Birkenwald back towards Great Ebony.

 

*****

 

Unaware of the approaching danger, YunHo, ChangMin and JaeJoong spent three full days at the village in SunHee’s and her husband’s home. They used the chance to fully recover from their journey lasting for months already and dedicated some of their time to learning the language.

The small JungWoo was their constant companion and had taken a great fancy to JaeJoong. The black haired easily returned the boy’s affection and took him to his heart. JungWoo’s cries and huge tears literally broke it when they had to depart.

Crestfallen he ambled after YunHo and ChangMin and more than once ignored their attempts to cheer him up. It wasn’t of any help either that rain had caught up with them on their second day when they made their way towards the pilgrimage route leading through the mountains and forced them to find shelter in an abandoned barn a little off the range of mountains.

The downpour dwindled with the rising of the sun and thus they were able to continue on their journey. By the later afternoon they came across the wooden sign of a temple that led them to a narrow path leading up to the mountains and carefully they advanced along the rocky surface. The pilgrimage route trailed through a vast part of the Sonnenschein Berge and led them through narrow passages as well as drippy caves. Time and again they stayed in these caves for the night, at other times they settled for one of the many crevices.

With increasing height the path became more and more exhausting, and they had trouble to breathe. Despite the view from the mountains over the entire landscape of Saffron’s borders being magnificent, they barely had the chance to really enjoy it. Over the week they had travelled along the pilgrimage route, a wind kept blowing against them and with every step closer to the top became icier. Not to mention the sun that kept burning down on them without mercy.

By the time they had reached the top and collapsed in front of the golden temple’s gate, a mounted troupe of Ebony forces had crossed the Birkenwald and quickly advanced through Saffron’s landscape.

 

*

 

The saffron brotherhood welcomed them with open arms and provided them kindly with nutritions and a place to rest. They were more than happy to let YunHo and ChangMin roam free in their large archive on the second floor of their two storeyed temple. For an easier orientation they were joined by a monk about the same age as them whose blond hair had been cropped to a tonsure typical for the golden temple.

He introduced himself as Bruder Markus and immediately YunHo, ChangMin and JaeJoong, especially, could see the similarity to a small village boy in his features. He was one of the first to eye JaeJoong with a strange fascination that had all three of them confused.

Others followed over the passing days and time and again a monk treated JaeJoong on an awestruck level. He was more than just confused and quite mortified at their treatment. More than once he fled their attentive eyes and tried to regain his composure by looking at the cloudless horizon from the top of the Sonnenschein Berge.

After yet another of these encounters, ChangMin turned to Bruder Markus inquiringly. “Darf ich fragen, warum unser Freund von solchem Interesse für euch ist? Es ist ihm sichtlich unangenehm, das habt ihr sicherlich bemerkt.”

The older laughed embarrassed. “Allerdings. Ihr müsst uns verzeihen.” He bowed deep in apology. “Er scheint unter den schweigenden Brüdern etwas Besonderes an sich zu haben. Viele von uns assoziieren ihn mit einer uralten Propezeiung.”

YunHo’s ears perked at the familiar sounding word and ChangMin was all ears immediately. “Prophezeiung?” he repeated and had the blond monk blinking in astonishment.

“Könnt Ihr uns davon erzählen?” ChangMin asked eagerly and quickly forgot about taking notes for YunHo’s journal.

Markus fidgeted on his knees a little uncertain. He shook his head. “Es ist mir verboten davon zu sprechen.”

ChangMin scowled and huffed. “Das hatte ich befürchtet.” He turned mumbling to YunHo, “They know about the prophecy but he’s not allowed to tell us.”

YunHo simply nodded and paid attention to his reading. His focus, however, was disturbed by a recurring memory and thus instead of taking notes he lost himself in deep thought.

 

*

 

It was just three days later that ChangMin stumbled upon a secluded room hidden in the depths of the archive whilst searching for relevant parchments YunHo could use for his documentation. Curiously he went inside and let his eyes wander about the sparsely lit chamber. The candle in his hand shed some light and he was able to make out a bench and two shelves filled with bound parchments.

He was about to call for Bruder Markus to ask him about this particular room when he caught side of a framed piece of cloth hanging on an otherwise empty wall. Two oil lamps on each side illuminated it and highlighted words of black colour written with wide brush .

He let his eyes wander over the written text and caught his breath.

 

Die ewige Flamme des Phönix wird erlischen und ein schwarzer Schleier wird sich über das Land legen.

Hoffnungslosigkeit und Tod werden den Boden mit Blut und Tränen tränken.

Es werden fünf Menschenleben vergehen bis stimmlos erneut Hoffnung das Land ereilt.

In Flammen genährt von Kohle wird der Aschegeborene das Licht der Welt erblicken.

Umgeben von Flammen wird er den Phönix erneut auferstehen lassen und der schwarze Schleier wird auf ewig niedergeschlagen.

Ewig währender Frieden wird zum Fuße des Flammenden Berges zurückkehren.

 

ChangMin hadn’t yet understood the full context completely but at the mention of the Ash-born he immediately called out for YunHo with the loudest voice he could muster. Awestruck he kept staring onto the prophecy and a few minutes later YunHo waltzed into the room with Bruder Markus hot on his heels. The blond monk was awfully tight-lipped when ChangMin bombarded him with questions whilst telling YunHo about his discovery at the same time.

Eagerly ChangMin jotted down the few lines into his journal and immediately got down to translate them. Being too overwhelmed with the situation, Bruder Markus had left them to themselves and wouldn’t join them in the archive anymore.

Impatiently YunHo waited for ChangMin to complete his translation whilst JaeJoong was still unaware of their discovery and was busy with sketching the mountains’ landscape.

In the meantime, the mounted troupe had reached the pilgrimage route and carefully advanced their horses up the rocky path.

 

*

 

A few days later ChangMin sat mumbling in a corner of the archive and was brooding over his translation. Meanwhile YunHo’s eyes lingered on him from another corner of the archive whilst balancing JaeJoong’s sleeping figure on his back. He had joined them a while ago to get away from one of the younger monks and his awestruck chatter and found himself dozing off soon instead as there was nothing more to do.

Again and again ChangMin read through the original Saffron text and compared it to his translation in Crimson, editing a word here and there, and made sure he fully grasped the context. After a final read he jolted up and raised his journal high, “That’s it!”

YunHo startled and for a moment forgot about JaeJoong slumbering against him when he jolted up as well and ran over to ChangMin.

Confused JaeJoong rubbed over his eyes at the uncomfortable rouse and drowsily scrambled onto his knees. He yawned fiercely when his eyes wandered over to YunHo and ChangMin who excitedly chatted away over a journal in ChangMin’s hand. He cocked his head in curiosity and slowly rose. Yawning softly he walked over to them and slowly but surely caught up on their hushed words.

“Remember, this is a word to word translation. We can think about the supposed meaning afterwards,” ChangMin muttered and cleared his throat when YunHo nodded. “The eternal flame of the phoenix will be obliterated and a black curtain will fall over the country. Hopelessness and Death will soak the ground with blood and tears.” A pause in which ChangMin took a deep breath. “A span of five human lives shall pass until hope will resurface in voicelessness. In flames nurtured with coal the Ash-born will see the light of day. Embraced by flames he will bring forward the new rise of the phoenix and the black curtain will be obliterated for eternity. Everlasting peace will return to the Blazing Mountain.”

A pregnant silence came over them whilst they were processing the spoken words. JaeJoong’s eyebrows were furrowed in utter confusion and ChangMin looked at YunHo who kept mumbling softly to himself.

“In flames nurtured with coal,” he repeated in a whisper and with a side glance became aware of JaeJoong’s presence. His lips parted in recognition and a mixture of endearment and sorrow crossed his features. The crease between JaeJoong’s eyes deepened at YunHo’s lingering gaze and he cocked his head inquiringly.

YunHo sighed deeply.

“What’s wrong?” ChangMin asked just as confused about YunHo’s sudden behaviour as JaeJoong and let his eyes wander from one to the other.

Frustrated YunHo ruffled through his hair. “I think I know who the Ash-born is,” he breathed and looked straight at JaeJoong.

ChangMin ripped his eyes open. “You can’t be serious!”

JaeJoong was more than lost with the entire conversation and gestured wildly at YunHo. The latter gently got hold of his hands.

“Let me explain,” YunHo muttered and searched for JaeJoong’s eyes. Reluctantly the other locked eyes with him. “You know that uncle JaeHyun found you.”

JaeJoong nodded softly.

“But he never told you where.”

Again JaeJoong nodded in hesitation. YunHo let go of JaeJoong’s left hand and gently caressed over his cheek instead.

“I recently remembered it myself, you know,” he breathed and let his hand linger. “Just a conversation between your father and my master when he took me under his wing.”

JaeJoong held onto YunHo’s wrist, his fingers trembling, when he tried to understand.

YunHo swallowed hard. “That time in Charcoal,” he breathed, “You still remember the sorrow, right?”

Hesitatingly JaeJoong nodded.

“He,” YunHo swallowed again, “he found you there.” Silence followed in which JaeJoong as well as ChangMin caught their breath. “After the disastrous fire.”

Shocked JaeJoong’s eyes widened and the blood seemed to drain from his face. His lips quivered when he shook his head vehemently and took a step back.

YunHo urged forwards and pulled JaeJoong into a hug. “I’m sorry,” he breathed into JaeJoong’s ear who was trembling in his hold. “I didn’t know how to tell you.” YunHo’s voice died down in a strangled sigh.

JaeJoong kept shaking his head against YunHo’s shoulder, pummelling his fists weakly at his chest whilst tears kept burning behind his eyes.

“But that would mean,” ChangMin muttered in a strangled voice whilst his eyes lingered on a desperate JaeJoong.

Said one pushed at YunHo’s chest, pulling free from the tight hug, and glared with teary eyes at them. He disagreed vehemently and took a few steps back.

“JaeJoong,” YunHo called out softly. “That’s- that’s not- I won’t let that happen,” he tried to calm them both and glared likewise at ChangMin. “How can you even say that?”

“I didn’t,” ChangMin declared mortified. “That wasn’t my intention!”

JaeJoong had dashed out of the archive and scrambled up towards the lookout at the top of the temple. He ignored YunHo’s desperate calls of his name and just as desperately tried to ignore a flood of memories and revelations pouring down on him.

The voicelessness he had always found soothing.

His parents calling his existence a miracle and blessing.

The constellation of the phoenix he had found fascinating even before he knew the stars.

The sadness overpowering him once he had stepped onto the ashen grounds of Charcoal. And the pain of all its lost lives.

The queasiness of laying his eyes onto the Sable Fortress.

The awestruck treatment of the local monks.

Could it be true? Was he really meant to bring forth the legendary phoenix?

But what about him?

Wasn’t he human? Didn’t he bleed when injured? Didn’t he cry when he was sad? And what about all the love he had to give and gained in return? What about his feelings? His emotions?

Was he really nothing more but a vessel? Was this really his only purpose of being born into this world?

Sobbing he buried his face in his hands as he sank down onto his knees. Desperately he tried to push away the realization that his subconsciousness had known. Had always known.

He jerked from the stairs when he heard hushed voices and scrambled over to the wall of the lookout. He didn’t know whether he should be relieved or not that it weren’t YunHo and ChangMin talking on the lower floor. He furrowed his eyebrows and wiped away his tears when he tried to make out the hushed words.

“Truppen aus Ebony sagst du?”

“Ja. Bruder David war auf dem Weg ins Dorf, als er ihnen begegnete. Er hat sie hierher geführt.”

“Was sie wohl hier wollen?”

Silence overcame the whispering monks. They surely didn’t know why Ebony had sent its forces this way. JaeJoong wasn’t exactly sure about the content of their conversation, but the single word he was able to recognize let him freeze on the spot.

Deep down, he just knew why Ebony had been mentioned.

 

*

 

Unbeknownst to YunHo and ChangMin a dozen of Ebony forces halted their horses in front of the golden temple and demanded entry in company of a young brunette monk.

The elder and headmaster of the brotherhood welcomed them at the gate together with Bruder Markus and another middle aged monk of tall stature. “Annyeonghaseyo, geuleiteu heugdan. [Good afternoon, members of Great Ebony]” He bowed in greeting, followed by the monks to his side, and continued in fluent Ebony, “Eotteon un joh-eun sanghwang-e ulineun dangsin-ui jonjaeui myeong-yeleul bij-jigo issseubnikka? [To what fortunate circumstance do we owe the honour of your presence?]”

A highly decorated captain dismounted his black stallion, followed by his soldiers and guards, and spat onto the ground when he neared the old man.

“Muso-eum sseulegileul sumgigo issdaneun somun-i issseubnida. [Rumour has it that you’re hiding voiceless scum]” He spat once more and missed the light startle of Bruder Markus. He glared at the elder one. “Eodiiss-eo? [Where is it?]”

Calmly the headmaster returned the captain’s piercing gaze. He shook his head with a gentle smile. “Dangsin-eun teullyeoss-eul geos gat-ayo. [You must be in the wrong, I’m afraid]” He paused a moment which had the captain furiously grumbling. “Ulineun cham-eulo sonnim-i issseubnida. Jegug-ui immuleul suhaenghaneun namjjog-ui gwijog hyeongje. [We have guests, indeed. Noble brothers from the south on an imperial mission]”

“Jal deul-euseyo [Listen, you tottery old man],” the captain snarled and drew his sword. “Dangsin-ui kkoch-i manh-eun dan-eoleul jeol-yaghago yeogie sseulegileul naelyeo noh-eusibsio. Dasi mudji anhgessseubnida. [Spare your flowery words and get these scumbags down here. I won’t ask a second time]”

The old man kept smiling. “Igeos-eun bulganeunghabnida, dulyeobseubnida. [This won’t be possible, I’m afraid]”

“Mueos-eul-yo? [What?]” By the growl of the captain’s voice, his soldiers drew their swords as well. The brunette monk that had led them to the gate scurried over to his brothers in fright and trembled behind the headmaster’s back.

The elder turned to Bruder Markus. “Geh,” was all he whispered and with a soft gesture of his hand he shooed the younger away.

The blond widened his eyes. “Aber-” he wanted to protest but fell silent at the stern gaze of the older monk. Sorrow crossed his eyes before he bowed deep in front of his brothers and slowly advanced away from the scene.

“Geh mit ihm,” the headmaster turned to the brunette who had already tears in his eyes and immediately followed after Bruder Markus.

“Geudeul-i eodilo gago issdago saeng-gaghabnikka? [Where do you think they are going?]” the captain inquired darkly and tightened the grip on his sword.

“Chaleul junbihasibsio. Naneun dangsin-i keob-eul jeulgil su issdago saeng-gaghaessseubnida. [Prepare some tea. I thought you might enjoy a cup]” The headmaster folded his hands before his abdomen and flashed them the gentlest of his smiles.

“Tch,” the captain spat and raised his sword. “Dangsin-eun dangsin-eul gyeolko baeul? [You never learn, do you?]” With a swift gesture of his hand, his soldiers advanced forward.

 

*

 

Once Bruder Markus was out of sight, he quickly hurried through the temple’s corridors and warned his fellow brothers of the coming danger. Frightened the younger ones turned to their older mentors for help and hesitatingly followed after Bruder Markus. The older ones stayed and held the advancing Ebony forces at bay.

Markus parted with his brothers at the archive’s stairs and urged them to follow their hidden trail through the mountains. Many were in tears when they hurried down another staircase whilst the uproar of an advancing battle echoed in the background.

Unbeknownst to the young monk a fire broke lose in the kitchen, when the chef in charge didn’t obey, and quickly ate its way through the neighbouring wooden walls. He tried to shield his ears from the sounds of battle and cries of agony as he advanced up the stairs. Breathlessly he burst through the archive’s door and found YunHo and ChangMin looking around in confusion.

“Bruder Markus,” ChangMin called out. “Wir haben Schreie gehört. Was ist denn-”

“Ihr müsst sofort verschwinden,” Markus interrupted hysterically and ushered them to quickly follow him. Confused they did.

“Was ist denn los?” ChangMin asked and shared a concerned glance with YunHo.

“Truppen aus Ebony. Sie sind auf der Suche nach euch.”

“Bloody hell,” ChangMin cursed and immediately had YunHo’s attention.

“What’s wrong?”

“Ebony forces are taking over the temple. We have to hurry out of here,” ChangMin quickly explained and hurried up when Bruder Markus fastened his pace.

“Wait!” YunHo called out and halted. “Wartet!” he repeated in very broken Saffron and had both ChangMin and Markus pausing as well.

“Was ist denn? Wir haben keine Zeit!” Markus declared impatiently and was about to continue his sprint.

“JaeJoong!” YunHo called out. “We cannot leave without him!”

Breathless ChangMin agreed. “Er hat recht. JaeJoong ist noch irgendwo im Tempel.”

Markus sighed in frustration. “Dann beeilt euch! Wir müssen den Pfad durch die Berge erreichen, bevor sie das Archiv stürmen.” He followed them a few metres back into the main archive and paused horrified at the flames that were advancing through the lower stairs. “Gott bewahre,” he whispered and put his hand over his mouth in despair. A tear rolled down his paled cheeks.

YunHo shook his head to get rid of the horror grasping his body. “We have to hurry,” he declared determined and carefully advanced further. The flames eagerly gorged through the wood and advanced on to the shelves. Centuries of written memories became dust in a mere second.

Desperately YunHo looked about the archive. “JaeJoong!” he called out. “JaeJoong! Where are you?”

He paused when he became aware of his friend frozen in the middle of a spiral staircase whilst his horrified eyes were trained onto the blazing fire across from him. YunHo surged ahead and grabbed JaeJoong’s hand. Still in shock JaeJoong let himself be dragged through the archive and away from the growing fire.

“We have to hurry,” YunHo breathed when they caught up with ChangMin. “Soldiers from Ebony are after us.”

Horrified JaeJoong stared at the back of YunHo’s head as they advanced further through the archive. Heat was rising with the growing fire and soon it controlled the main archive.

“Sie könnten jederzeit von einem der anderen Zugänge eindringen,” Bruder Markus declared whilst gasping for air as he led them further into more secluded parts of the archive. They didn’t pay much attention to their surroundings and had their eyes set ahead.

That was until JaeJoong abruptly paused. YunHo staggered onto his knees at the sudden movement, looking confused at his friend.

“What on-? JaeJoong, there is no time!” he called out and jumped to his feet. ChangMin and Markus halted as well, panting, and staring at them in bewilderment.

JaeJoong didn’t move an inch, his chest heaving with ragged breathing, whilst his eyes were set onto an old piece of cloth. YunHo followed his line of vision.

He shook his head and grabbed JaeJoong’s hand once more. “We don’t have time to think about that yet. I neither want to come across the soldiers nor want the flames eating my ,” YunHo declared agitated and tried to drag his friend further.

JaeJoong, however, stood solid and frozen. He couldn’t read a word on the cloth but he just knew what it was. The ominous prophecy. The prophecy of the phoenix. His prophecy. Startled he blinked furiously when his shoulders were gripped tightly. Slowly he averted his eyes and locked them instead with YunHo.

A worried frown had crossed YunHo’s features. “Don’t even think about it,” he breathed and softly shook him. “You hear me? I won’t have you thinking about it at all!”

Agitated Bruder Markus hobbed on his feet when the fire neared through the neighbouring rooms. “Um Himmels Willen, was tut ihr da? Wollt ihr unbedingt sterben?”

ChangMin swallowed hard. “Von ‘wollen’ kann keine Rede sein, Bruder Markus,” he replied softly and registered JaeJoong’s gaze puzzled. He lowered his eyes and uncertainly took a step forward.

JaeJoong got a hold of YunHo’s hands on his shoulders and held them gently. Confused YunHo looked at their linked hands.

“What,” he muttered and furrowed his eyebrows even more when JaeJoong squeezed his hands. He looked up and caught his breath.

A beautiful smile graced JaeJoong’s lips when his keen eyes stared lovingly into his. Tears were b and glistened with the approaching fire behind his back.

YunHo swallowed hard, his lips quivering when he shook his head. “No,” was all he breathed when he held tightly onto JaeJoong’s hands. Tears gathered in his eyes as well. “No, I won’t let that-”

JaeJoong silenced him with a finger on his lips. He gently shook his head as the tears spilled and rolled over his cheeks. His smile faltered a little and made space for a sorrowful one as he brushed his hand over YunHo’s cheek.

“You cannot,” YunHo’s croaked and blinked free his tears. “Please, JaeJoong.”

JaeJoong’s hand lingered a moment on YunHo’s cheek and thumbed away a few of his tears. He lowered his eyes when YunHo’s hold on his free hand tightened.

“I won’t let you,” YunHo muttered and stubbornly shook his head. He trembled with frustration and sorrow when JaeJoong leaned forward. His forehead lay on YunHo’s shoulder and he nuzzled the curve of his neck.

Hesitatingly JaeJoong brushed his lips over YunHo’s before he shoved him away with a determined push. Confused YunHo staggered before he fell onto his bum with widened eyes. Apologetically JaeJoong looked down at him. The beautiful smile returned.

“No!” YunHo called out and jolted forwards. Strong arms held him from behind and he trashed around. “What the- Let go!”

“I’m sorry,” ChangMin breathed into the nape of his neck. “He asked me to.”

YunHo kept trashing in ChangMin’s hold and looked desperately at JaeJoong. “No, JaeJoong. Please!” He shook his head when the latter moved backwards, one step after the other towards the blazing fire.

Forgotten was the approaching danger in form of the soldiers that none paid them any attention when a handful barged through a side door of a neighbouring archive. The fire hadn’t treated them all too kindly with scorched hair and terrible burns.

“Dangsin-iissneun gos-e geudaeloiss-eo [Stay right where you are],” a bulky soldier croaked miserably in his mother tongue whilst his companions collapsed coughing onto the ground. Confused they watched the scene in front of them when they were blatantly ignored.

JaeJoong had moved closer to the fire, the heat already prickling his skin and breaking a sweat.

ChangMin struggled with YunHo in his arms and had a hard time keeping him from jolting after his friend.

“Please, I beg you! Don’t do this,” YunHo called desperately, his voice already raspy and disrupted by sobbing.

JaeJoong flashed him another beautiful smile framed by glistening tears before he swivelled around and jolted into the fire.

“NO, JAEJOONG. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!”

Devastated YunHo collapsed onto the ground when JaeJoong vanished in the scorching fire after ChangMin had loosened his grip in horror. YunHo’s desperate sobbing was overpowered by the crackling of the blaze and confused the soldiers, as well as Bruder Markus, stared at it.

The flames reared up for a moment before a glittering light of bright golden-red colour illuminated the archive and blinded all bystanders. A single flame departed from the blaze and slithered over the ground like a snake. It didn’t scorch the surface and advanced to the soldiers gathered in a corner.

Their piercing outcry ripped ChangMin and Bruder Markus from their blinded trance and, squinting their eyes, they saw them enclosed in a flamy cage. Horrified they watched them burning alive for the split of a second before fine ash trickled onto the ground into a small pile.

A bell-like serenade vibrated in the air when the fire merged scorching into a glittering ball of golden-red flames. Sprinkles of fervour flew about the sooty and singed archive when majestic wings made of crimson blaze spread wide.

Awestruck ChangMin sank to his knees with Bruder Markus frozen to the ground and parted lips, as the legendary phoenix floated right before their eyes.

YunHo was unaware of it all. Heartbroken he had embraced himself and sobbed into his knees.

’YunHo,’ a melodious voice called him softly and for a moment the pieces of his heart were embraced with tenderness and hope.

Confused he raised his head and had to blink a few times to clear his blurry eyesight. For most of his life he had always dreamed to lay his eyes onto the legendary phoenix one day. But with the price that had been paid, he wished that it wasn’t before his eyes in all its majestic and beautiful glory. He had to avert his eyes when instead of the phoenix’s golden feathered head, he saw JaeJoong’s smiling face.

’Do not fret. The boy you call JaeJoong is not lost,’ the voice echoed in YunHo’s head whilst the phoenix twittered a warm melody.

Stunned YunHo looked at the fire bird. “What,” he croaked softly, “what do you mean?”

The phoenix’s glittering brown eyes gazed right into his soul. ’His willing sacrifice split our merged souls and the fire triggered a new circle of life for the both of us.

YunHo furrowed his eyebrows completely lost and blinked heavily. “I don’t understand,” he muttered and jolted when the phoenix spread its wings further.

’You will, the phoenix chimed in his head before it opened its beak and gave way to a soothing and magnificent serenade. Instant relief, hope and happiness flooded them from within their hearts. Heralding its long forgotten song the fire bird advanced through the temple’s roof and took to the skies.

“Wait!” YunHo called out and rose to his feet. “What do you mean?” he desperately called after the phoenix when it was already out of sight and took with it every flame of the formerly scorching fire in form of its tail.

It was ChangMin’s faltering voice that caught his attention, “YunHo, look.”

Insecure he looked over to where ChangMin was pointing a shaky finger. Disbelieving he caught his breath. Tears blurred his vision once more when he became aware of the figure looming where once a blaze had been scorching.

Most of the archive had turned to coal and ash, the walls across from them singed and sooty. In the middle of it all a sparkling transparent casing circled slowly about itself. YunHo didn’t think twice when he dashed towards the looming thing.

He just reached it when it popped open, the shell turning into sparkling fervour and trailing up into the sky, and revealed the figure it had been shielding.

Bare and covered in grime JaeJoong floated in the air a moment before he fell down, right into YunHo’s arms. Disbelieving he stumbled onto the ground under the other’s lively weight and let his eyes take in the scene.

Hysterically he started to laugh, overjoyed with relief and another set of tears. ChangMin joined him in joy and threw his overcoat over JaeJoong’s figure. His eyes were shut tight, but the heaving of his chest and even breathing was all YunHo ever needed to bury his face in JaeJoong’s singed hair with a broad smile.

 

*

 

Many written records exist of the return of the phoenix and its effect on Great Ebony’s downfall. It was heralded as Vernice’s greatest triumph and Ebony’s loss when it reclaimed the Blazing Mountain. Records link the return of the phoenix with the destruction of the Sable Fortress and the obliteration of the Ebony forces and their king.

The Blazing Mountain shone with golden-red flames with the rising of the sun ever since and brought with it peace and prosperity once again over Vernice’s people.

Little did the people know of a significantly involved trio that crossed the Sable Current and travelled through Sapphire. No one linked the young scholar, his partner and a monk on their journey to document Vernice’s flora and fauna with the return of the phoenix.

Only months later a small village at the ancient border of the kingdom Crimson and the slowly blossoming kingdom Charcoal, as well as a temple deeply lodged in Shiroi Mori, became aware of their involvement.

It was kept a secret.

And thus the young scholar and his partner lived happily ever after, as did the people of Vernice.

 

 

end.