First Day at Pandai

I Give You My Blessings

Kotoko gets an acceptance letter from Pandai, Japan’s famous gaming company, to work as a summer intern for her sophomore year in college. She is ecstatic and can’t wait to join the team and create world-famous games for everyone. 

 

The night before her first day at Pandai

Kotoko POV

“I can’t wait to finally apply all that I learned in school to make real games that will sell in the market. I’m going to make world famous games like Angry Bird and all the children will recognize me. I will have to make merchandise for my characters and they will all sell really well. I hope my supervisor will be nice and teach me everything. I’m too excited and I can't sleep~~” 

 

Kotoko happily imagines what will happen this summer and falls asleep an hour later.

 

At Pandai

Kotoko went through orientation with 2 other new interns and eagerly took down a lot of notes. She wrote everything that is being said and made sure not to miss anything. The building is amazing with the lobby full of game displays and well-designed interiors. Kotoko couldn’t help ohh-ing and ahh-ing at everything she put her eyes on. 

 

The orientation leader took them to the cafeteria where food is free for all employees. Kotoko tried not to stuff all those delicious-looking food in and remain conscious of her behavior, as her desire to leave a good impression and earn a full-time position at Pandai after she graduates. She had a fun time chatting with the orientation leader and the other two interns.

 

It is now time for them to separate into different departments and meet their supervisors who will train them for the whole summer. Kotoko hopes she gets a friendly supervisor who will become a mentor-like friend. 

 

The other two interns are brought to the marketing and advertising department. Finally, Kotoko is brought up to the 7th Floor, which is the R&D department. Kotoko’s eyes lit up because she is one step closer to becoming a game designer which she has been dreaming of since young. The orientation leader brings Kotoko all the way to the other end of the floor where there is a large office. She couldn’t see the inside because the shades were down. The orientation leader knocked politely and they heard a “come in” signal. The leader opened the door and introduced Kotoko as the new summer intern to the guy with his head buried in a stack of papers. The leader gave a polite smile to Kotoko and handed her a business card with contact details incase Kotoko has any questions. The leader left the room and Kotoko awkwardly stood there for 3 minutes until the guy looked up at her. 

 

Kotoko POV

“Did he forget that I’m standing here? Should I make my presence known? I don’t want to distract him or make him lose his train of thoughts. I should just keep standing here silently. Hmm he looks about my age, just more neatly dressed. He looks very concentrated on his task. He doesn’t look very friendly but maybe I’m just judging too quickly.”

 

Naoki POV

“Sorry for the wait, welcome to Pandai. My name is Irie Noaki and I will be your supervisor for this summer. Here is your task. Research our competitor’s new released game Tom’s Adventures and list out all good points and limitations of the game. Interview 5 players of the game to get their opinions and learn the user experience. I want this tomorrow morning. You can go back to your desk.” Naoki handed a packet to Kotoko and looked back at his computer, which was his way of dismissing her. 

 

Kotoko POV

Kotoko didn’t get a chance to speak nor get a chance to introduce herself. She was shocked that she was expected to finish her first assignment by tomorrow morning. Heck, she doesn’t even know where her desk was. She just accepted the packet he signalled to take and quietly left the room. Kotoko was slightly nervous that she might not do a good job and disappoint Naoki. She walked around a bit on the floor to find her desk. Other people were all immersed in their work and working hard on their tasks. She finally spotted an empty desk by the window with a piece of paper saying “Aihara Kotoko.” Kotoko sat down and opened her laptop to research everything about Tom’s Adventures. It’s been 4 hours and Kotoko has a pretty good idea what the game was about and how it was doing in the market. She found out where the PC rooms are and decided it will be best to go there to interview players of the game. It was 8pm but the Tokyo streets were still very lively. Kotoko had a notepad and pen in hand with a determined look. 

 

“I can do this and will impress Naoki tomorrow. Fighting.” 

 

Kotoko went through 5 PC rooms and searched for anyone playing Tom’s adventures. She finally finished interviewing 5 people after 4 hours. It was midnight and Kotoko went back home and prepared for bed. She was excited to share her findings with Naoki tomorrow.