Follow Me

Follow Me

 

 

The first time he met Captain Jung was when he accompanied his friend Junsu Kim to the Technology Fair installed at his University. Junsu had recently graduated with honors from said university obtaining his Master Degree of Robotic Engineering. His friend was one of the exponents with his final project. He constructed and designed an android that impressed a lot to his evaluators even when he couldn't finish it as he wanted due limitations on materials and budget. The mobility of his android was restricted only to the upper body but he defended his project so well that he was invited to participate at the fair some days later. One characteristic of his project was that his android actually seemed a human being not just at the exterior but at its movements too; projects of that kind had stopped their development for the ethical objections put over them, Junsu nonetheless had had his project well backed at every aspect. That was what deserving of a stall at the Fair.

Robots are common on some areas of society, specially used for National Defense. Junsu's project though, was different and drew attention for the perfection of the external features too, that was the reason why Jaejoong was there that day. He had obtained a similar Degree at University some months ago but at Fine Arts and he collaborated with Junsu designing the face and body for his android in silicone. Jaejoong doesn’t consider he has such outstanding abilities but he uses to be highly praised for his works. After all, what he does is not different to what other men and women from his same field do for a living is what he thinks.

Maybe, that’s the main problem with him, underestimating his own capabilities. Till then, he hadn’t been able to get a permanent job working as an artist nor any important contract and he was desperate because his savings were diminishing considerably and he did his last job, for Junsu, for free as he was helping his friend. He only got to be paid for the materials and tools necessary to work. Junsu insisted, though, on giving him away a complete set of new tools.

Jaejoong was there at the fair, signed up as a collaborator and eating his fill of sweets at the free buffet for participants. He had something very clear, he was going to miss Junsu because he was sure he was going to get a job that day and he was going to stay behind still having instant ramen for dinner at best and old bread on the worse, well there were many people in harder situations.

At evening, when the fair was about to end, the so important people expected to come all day finally arrived. The Fine Arts graduated didn't bother to go with the crowd though, when people moved to watch in wonder a lot of military men most of them wearing their uniforms. He didn't form part of the curious exclamations of people seeing the said men surrounded by their robots arriving in special vehicles and motorcycles. He could see the reflection of the red lights from the robots' heads on the spoon he had been using to eat a very sweet pie, he loves sweet things and he was taking his time to eat his fill for all the year, besides he had seen the robots before and thinks it was an unnecessary company in this place but he knew it was a part of the fair itself as the final design for the automates was created by a work team from the same university.

Jaejoong only paid attention again when someone said Junsu's name. It was so silent to be a crowded place that he could hear the questions and explanations from every stall so he didn't miss it. He went as near as he could to his friend's stall holding and munching a cinnamon roll, ignoring or giving dirty looks to the people looking at him with disgust to him and the trail of crumbs he left behind.

Then he saw him. The man wasn't wearing a uniform but a brown coat, black pants and boots with exotic design. He came with a court of robots and men looking all the same except by the helmets and the bright red lights. He was pretty young to have the rank people said he had, so he had to be really good skilled. He was not only young but handsome too, is what people was breathing the most. But nothing of that is what drew Jaejoong attention not even the fact that he was able to turn on the urn were Junsu's android was, just by touching it which made Junsu slightly flinch. What his breath got caught in his throat. It was like if Junsu's android had got out from its confinement and was looking at his creator standing on its own and talking to him.

The man asked many questions to Junsu, politely ignoring people whisperings due the obvious resemblance. When he finally asked about the design of the external features, Jaejoong saw himself being pushed to the front next to Junsu by his friend's colleagues forcing himself to swallow the last piece of cinnamon roll he was eating and standing uncomfortably next to Junsu with the feeling that his lips were covered in sugar trying to the remains as discreetly as possible.

He was introduced as a collaborator and didn't say much because the main interest is on the internal design, of course and Junsu did a formidable job presenting his project. Jaejoong was rather disappointed because he didn't cause any effect on the straight face of their interlocutor. For a moment he was hoping that the secret desire of his heart was true, that Yun Park was actually alive in the form of this man talking to them and was going to recognize him too because there was no way Yun could act so indifferently to him.

Later he told Junsu the story about the face, it was the result of a popular program to generate faces introducing some data from some years ago. He tried it once and the accuracy of the result was so great for him that he used it over and over again as the model for many of his works be it painting, pyrography, sculpture or any other. He knows that it was just a casualty and that the faces from that program came from a data bank.

Two weeks after his graduation ceremony, Junsu received a job offer and surpringsinly Jaejoong too.

Jaejoong thought about the opportunity very carefully. He had been living on his own since his mother remarried some years ago and she decided to sell the house they had. She remarried with a very eccentric man who lives in a boat and they are currently traveling around the country where their boat allows them to go. Jaejoong has a tiny apartment of his own but it’s far away from what he had imagined his life would be. He hadn’t have to think too much, specially when the light bulb of his bedroom exploded leaving him in darkness remembering him that his savings were thinning a lot these days despite of having only frugal meals.

There was another powerful reason too of why he was standing next to Junsu waiting for the vehicle that was going to pick them up, days later. He had discussed the matter with his friend, the day they went to sign their contracts. He wanted to know if it was possible what his wild imagination created, if Yunho Jung could be his Yun pretending to be another person. All the point of views against his crazy theory that his friend presented him were useless. It has always been difficult for him to change his mind once something gets into his head and a part of him was waiting for that vehicle just to check if his assumption was correct or not. Most of him, however, was there because the pay offered to paint a high relief mural wall was excellent and it was high time that he could earn good money with his profession.

They were taken to a military base located in an extreme of the city, out of the city in fact surrounded by trees were the special unit on charge of Captain Yunho Jung was installed.

"How depressing," it was the first thing Jaejoong said after being left in their new shared bedroom for four in a sort of separated private unit that has its own tiny living room and other two bedrooms with four people each. "I thought we were going to be taken to a modern base with all the commodities I don’t have in my rundown building. I thought that I was going to be free of having to climb up stairs every day.”

Junsu laughed at his pouting friend. “But this place is really nice. Didn’t you hear? It has an analog design because it’s planned to remain like it was almost the same more than three decades ago at least.”

“Well… damn to the person who came up with that brilliant idea. What’s the use of having so many robots and special vehicles if you still have a stove to cook your food instead of one of those modern gadgets that almost everyone –who’s not a pitiful artist like me– has at their houses.” Jaejoong huffed and sat on his bed. He actually didn’t have many things so he finished really quick accommodating his belongings. “I wonder if we’re going to have new roommates soon. They’re going to be nerds too for sure and they’re going to hate me too like our other housemates.

Junsu laughed again making his friend laugh too despite of his annoyance. “It’s because you called them ‘nerds’. You have to remember that not everyone understands your way of thinking and they thought you were mocking them.”

“But you know that’s my way to say they are really smart… you are a nerd too!”

Junsu laughed once again. “You need to give them something to make up for that.” He finished accommodating his shoes and sat on his bed too. “Have you already talked with the person on charge of your assignment?”

“Yes, the relief mural wall they want me to do is really huge. I’m going to be engaged here for a very long time which will be great. When I finish and with what they’re going to pay me, I’m going to be able to have my own workshop with a real atelier instead of having my works all piled up in a room of my apartment. Can you imagine?”

“I’m happy for you. You have been struggling for too long to get an opportunity like this one but it’s seriously going to take you a lot of time.”

“That’s good too. I’ll have plenty of time”

“As long as you’re not thinking on following Captain Jung here and there –by the way, people say he’s going to be promoted soon, it seems that he’s really brilliant– if you do that… you’re going to go crazy with curiosity.”

 

 

 

----------o----------

 

 

 

Jaejoong has acquired this new habit of waking up at six in the morning as he started to feel like he can progress with his work much more and much better with a fresh look and renewed energy, this day nonetheless, he woke up even earlier due the loud snores from the new roommate he and Junsu welcomed on Monday. On his way to the 'Honor Room' of the Military Base where he alone is on charge of doing the high relief mural wall, he looks outside one of the windows located on one of the stairs landings and can see the sun starting to rise colouring the scenery in front of him including the backyard that he can see form his spot where there is a jogging track. He's enjoying the sight right now, even more when he notices Captain Yunho Jung stretching before starting with his morning exercising routine.

It's time for him to accept it. He can't keep denying it to himself anymore. Just when he finds himself outside looking at the way the man's back muscles moves, mouth watering, breath hitching, he knows that, like Junsu has been telling him, it's not only that he wants to approach the man for the issue regarding his past but that he likes the man. He likes him a lot, in a way he didn't like anyone since years ago or maybe never.

He sits on the short spaces used as bleachers and watches the other man training. There was a time when he used to train often too but lately he wasn’t as interested as he was in the past. He has been working at this place for three months already and he had other extra assignments related to the restoration of sculptures from this one and other places.

If Yun was still around for sure would have the same type than Captain Jung without the cranky part of course. Jaejoong is starting to lose count of how many times he was scolded by the man already, well, it’s not that there’s no reason every time thought. He smiles to himself remembering his own antics like letting all the horses running free just because he wanted to see the robots in action as he knew they didn’t hurt the animals or the chaos he made at the kitchen after organizing a food fight or how he managed to leave his footprint on the ceiling of his bedroom. Yun probably would have enjoyed some of those things and he would have scolded him too for others.

If only Yunho was Yun…

 

 

…...

The first time Jaejoong saw him was the day his mother took him to the temporal amusement park installed in the town. At that place there wasn’t many opportunities to do something fun so the kid was really excited to go. He wanted to try all the rides at the park, from the carousel to the phantom train. His older sister refused to go saying that all of that were old and boring rides and that the park arrived to their town because it was already dead. Jaejoong didn’t understand totally what she was trying to say and didn’t really care; the only thing he could think about it was that he was going to spend an unforgettable afternoon with his best friend before this one left the city.

Technology was advancing a lot every time but it didn’t reach all the corners of the country at the same time and this place was generally one of the last ones still living a lot like in the past, that was the reason why his grandparents arrived there, because they didn’t want to live in a world that they understood less every day so they chose one of the most isolated places they could find. Despite of everything, it seemed like if the time of having a lot of the things people used to imagine for the future were still a faraway dream. Jaejoong was expecting specially anxious for the day when flying ships or teletransportation were something of every day to anyone’s reach and so he wouldn’t have to walk to school every day but, almost two hundred years after Wright Brothers’ flight, that was still impossible and for other things like androids, those were still reserved only for some circles, still away of being able to be available to anyone and of course, specially teletransportation, was still a dream so the boy was resigned to keep walking and keep dreaming.

His mother had the dream to leave the town and go to the capital city or any other city that could save her from the boredom. With her parents already deceased, she didn’t feel guilty anymore. Her hopes were on her husband that got a job in another city and was working hard to be able to take them with him.

Jaejoong was ten by then and he only wanted to have fun. His best friend was going to move out of the town because his parents worked for the government and they already got a new position that required their presence in another city. He thought that his sister was stupid for not going with them to the park, he had a great day and felt so full of cotton candy he was dying to go to his room and sleep his tiredness away.

The ten years old boy had just finished brushing his teeth when his mother called him asking him to come downstairs and greet their new neighbors. Jaejoong was a good kid so he obeyed despite being terribly tired and went to the pair of strangers and greeted them politely, then they introduced him to his son; a timid boy four years younger than him looking at him hidden behind his mother.

Since that moment Jaejoong knew that the little boy took a liking on him. That day, while his mother was at the living room chatting with his new friends, he went with the kid to his bedroom. The boy didn’t talk too much; he almost didn’t say a word except for when he asked if he could run his fingers through Jaejoong’s hair. The older boy was dumbfounded by the strange request but he let him do it. It was the first time he saw the six years old boy smiling and he decided he liked his smile. Little Yun was going to accompany for a long time.

 

 

The departure of his best friend was a serious blow in his life but he still maintained contact with him and still had other friends. Jaejoong didn’t lose time mourning over things he couldn’t change and always tried to pull out the best of every situation so he accepted the constant presence of Yun around him. At first he tried to shoo him away with all his might but at the end, he got used to the little boy following him everywhere. His other friends used to look at him curiously at first because the boy didn’t talk to anyone but Jaejoong but with time, they got used to him too.

Over the years, Yun learned to open up to other people too but still, he spent most of his time following Jaejoong. It seemed he looked at the older boy like a hero and was marveled every time whether he did the simplest of things or things actually deserving of admiration. Jaejoong was the object of his admiration and he was proud of being called his friend.

In the other hand, Jaejoong was facing many changes in his life too, being the main of all them getting to know his father was never going to take them with him because he already had another family and was living the best of lives with them. Jaejoong hated him and his new family and his sister locking herself in her room and running away with the first guy who talked nicely to her, and hated his mother while she was venting her anger on him. They reconciled after, after all, it was just the two of them then.

Jaejoong was eighteen and about to graduate from school when his mother got a promotion at her work. It wasn’t a big one but it was enough to improve their way of living and implied for them to move to another city after his graduation. He didn’t want any other thing more than to leave that boring town where nothing ever happened and be able to tell his father he never needed him so he could take the check he sent every month to clean his conscience and go to the hell.

He was at that age when everything around him was a bother in no time and he made the target of his frustration to his loyal admirer. He liked to send him to do absurd errands just to make fun of him with his new group of friends, whichincluded some new guys arrived to the town during his last year at high school. Many of his old friends left one by one, the same as his best friend from his childhood.

One Sunday morning, Yun appeared in front of him telling him he had something very important to talk about with him. Jaejoong, who was surrounded by his friends, told him he could do it at noon when he was going to be back at home but the fourteen years old boy didn’t budge causing the other boys mocking Jaejoong which irritated the older guy who ended yelling at Yun telling him to go back home and that he would go at noon if he felt like it.

He didn’t go, not because he was busy doing something with his friends but because, as his friends told him, the boy needed to learn a lesson.

When he was back late at night, his mother told him that Yun and his parents left the town for an emergency. He was feeling bothered because he didn’t have the chance to know what was the so important thing Yun wanted to tell him but he forget it soon.

The fourth day after his neighbors departure, he woke up to find his mother crying, she told him they had had an accident and their bodies got lost in the sea. Later, remains of the adults’ bodies were found but nothing about the boy.

There wasn’t a lot of information about the circumstances but they got to know that Yun’s father was involved in some cloudy business with the wrong people. When people entered their house, they found it empty. It was as if the family would never have been there, not a trace from them in the property.

Jaejoong often wondered if the reason of their departure was that so important issue Yun wanted to talk about to him or if it was a different matter. The only thing he knew for sure was that he missed the boy and to think on him made him incredibly sad, after all, Yun was the only constant in his life he could think about besides his mother.

……

 

 

He hadn’t realized how important was the boy in his life till he was gone and regret wasn’t enough to describe the feeling of despair he feels even today after twelve years, every time he recalls that the last memory from him he gave to Yun was being yelled and embarrassed in front of his friends.

When he and his mother moved out coincidentally to the same city where the accident occurred and even more after entering the university in the same city, he got used to visiting the place from where the car fell to pay his respects and expect something. Deep inside him, a part refused to believe that Yun was dead. Sometimes he felt ridiculous because he stared at the water as if waiting for the boy who followed him everywhere in his hometown to appear.

“Do you want to join me?” Captain Jung makes Jaejoong pay attention to his surroundings again and what a way to come back to reality with the y man in front of him wiping his sweat with a towel. The sight is better up close and makes the artist swallow hard.

“Maybe other day… I don’t think I can follow your pace just yet.”

Yunho looks at him amused stopping his glance for a moment on Jaejoong’s apple hair. “See you later then.”

Jaejoong watches him disappear towards the showers and breathes deeply to calm his nerves. That man has a strange and powerful effect on him every time he sees him and now that he has finally accepted what he feels for him, he knows perfectly well why it is.

After staying for a long moment observing the sky over him, he suddenly remembers a detail about Yun, he had a scar on his thigh from a small incident in which both were involved. If only he could check whether Yunho Jung has such a scar or not. And then he realizes that surprising Yunho in the showers is the perfect opportunity to do it, so after a few minutes to meditate he decides to enter the place.

The always composed and collected Captain Yunho Jung finishes showering and while he dries his body with a large towel, he thinks on the man who was observing him earlier, the one who has been making him lose his composure over and over again. Ignoring him isn’t an easy task, specially when he’s breaking the rules over and over again. They even have been bickering a lot and he doesn’t like the feeling of losing control.

Yunho secures the towel around his waist and dries his hair with a smaller one that he then puts on his shoulders. Going out in the direction of his locker he meets Jaejoong face to face.

Jaejoong eyes him from head to toe humming appreciatively. “What about going to swim you and me?” he wiggles his eyebrows playfully and smiles to his astonished interlocutor. “Or a massage. I’m very good massaging but I’ll have to inspect you thoroughly first…”

“What?!” Yunho gets to say coming back from his stupor. “Why?”

“Because Yunho, I like you,” Jaejoong says suddenly feeling brave, “I don’t know since when, maybe since the day of the Fair maybe the day you listened to me when I talked to you about my father or-”

“Jaejoong… are you confessing to me while I’m practically and-”

“Yes!... I mean, I am. Are you going to-”

“This could be more dangerous than you think,” Yunho pushes him against the tiles of the wall making him tremble with the cold contact and puts his arms at each side of his head. “What if you get scared in the way? Are you sure you want to get involved in the games of grown-ups, have you matured already? Don’t hesitate anymore. You want it then, don’t you? You and I, whole through the night.” His breath hits Jaejoong’s face who whimpers helplessly feeling the hot closeness of Yunho’s body that’s making his own body react.

“I mean it,” Jaejoong says finally. “I like you,” he adds as firmly as he’s able to speak trying to convey what he feels.

Yunho smirks but not in a mocking way, it’s more like a daring expression. “Jaejoong, we’re not kids anymore. You should think very well what you wish about.”

Yunho leaves him and goes away. Jaejoong can hear the sound of his laughter while his racing heart recovers bit by bit his normal pace. He’s totally sure that he wants to discover the truth about Yun and that he wants Yunho Jung as a part of his life too.

They’ll have a chat after, now it’s not the time because Jaejoong knows Yunho is going to come out from the lockers room and with his usual “Follow me”, he’s going to be surrounded by his robots appearing from who knows where and if he satys there to see it he’s going to feel the other one even more unapproachable and he doesn’t want that, not today when he had not just discovered and accepted his feelings but he had the courage to confess too.

Sometimes he wonders how it will feel like to be one of those robots following him everywhere, witnessing almost all his movements. Maybe some day, he thinks smiling, he’s going to be the one obsessed with me too.

 

 

 

----------o----------

 

 

 

Five months since he started working and he still didn’t make any important progress with Yunho, aside from a couple of deep conversations and Jaejoong is frustrated so he accepts the invitation from his new friends from his workplace to go for some drinks that night as t’s his day off. None of them is military so there’s no worry to anyone to be punished, except for Jaejoong because he’s staying permanently at the building of the Base and he can’t arrive drunk.

They are having a really good time at a nightclub sharing some light drinks when someone proposes to play a game. That someone is none other than Changmin. Said guy is a fake cousin for Yunho’s father and Changmin’s grandfather became close friends when Yunho was a teenager. Yunho’s sister was almost twenty years older than him, he was some kind of a miracle baby. The cousin is a cocky very smart bastard who never stops himself of checking up Jaejoong shamelessly until making him feel weird. It’s not a secret that he took an interest on the artist and he flirts openly with him. He’s not unpleasant at all but he definitely needs an attitude adjustment. Besides, Jaejoong is interested in someone else already and that someone is younger than him but four years older than Changmin.

With no little disappointment, he received from Junsu the news about a very young Changmin being the creator of the program he used years ago to simulate the adult appearance of Yun and that in effect, he had used a bank of images some of which belonged to his close familiar surroundings. Maybe everything wasn’t anything more than a coincidence from the beginning, is what he thought after knowing the news.

And there he was, a little drunk already playing a silly game of dare or punishment and having fun even when he was punished ten times already including one by Changmin that made the entire table burst in whistles.

He had a great time but returning to the Base when he barely could walk straight was a really difficult task. Changmin made the arrangements to help him to get there, as he wasn’t in conditions to drive him as he’d liked to.

Jaejoong tried to sneak in without being noticed and he succeded pretty well thank to his friendship with the guards who acted like if they didn’t see it. After all, not being surrounded by the robots all the time has its advantages. He is thinking that he definitely is going to find out how the offices of the staff are despite if it’s something boring or not because he wants to know about how they use the robots. He can’t help the giggle escaping his mouth when his imagination runs wild at the moment but he freezes in his spot when he meets face to face with Yunho and Yoochun going in the same direction than him, surely in their way to their dorms located at the same floor.

He feels really dizzy at the moment and his sight blacks out. The next thing he knows is that he’s being left in his bedroom with Yunho’s help and that he’s rambling nonstop.

Jaejoong feels really embarrassed the next day when he wakes up with a terrible hangover but remembering perfectly well how he was complaining about his sister and telling Yunho everything about Yun and how much he missed him without forgetting letting him know how much he regretted hurting the boy… after he asked the Captain for a and that’s the reason why he’s unable to look him in the eyes at least for some days after the incident. He definitely isn’t going to drink like that again.

 

 

 

----------o----------

 

 

 

Saturday night and Yunho, Yoochun and Hojun are going to a meeting very important for his Unit. After failing to get in the place through the special entrance that had a malfunctioning and it’s being repaired, they don’t have no choice but to enter through the nightclub located in the ground floor which owner is waiting for them at the suit of the superior level.

Just entering the crowded space, they have the chance to take a look around and they find a group of their workers having fun. Changmin is among them telling them some anecdotes having all their attention.

They would have just passed by quietly but Hojun identifies Jon as one of the group. He had received complaints about the dishwasher evading his duties before but it was the first time he was witnessing himself and he tells the other two.

It’s something fast, in an instant Jon knows that he’s fired, he doesn’t seem affected though or is too drunk to understand it in all its magnitude and he leaves without doing anything really.

Yunho looks at the group after without noticing his own actions it seems, but his cousin notices right away.

“He’s not here. Jaejoong, I mean,” he says smirking, “tough I miss him...”

“And he must be missing you too,” says one of the guys from the table.

“What do you mean?” Yunho asks the guy.

But it’s Changmin the one who answers him, “last time we were having fun together with him too and we even ended kissing…” the men from the table cackle amused.

“It’s because of Jon he didn’t come… it’s the fourth or fifth time he’s replacing him doing the dishes,” says someone else.

Yunho exchanges some words with his companions and quickly leaves the place.

 

 

----------

 

 

Jaejoong almost finishes doing the dishes while chatting with the old cook, Mr. Jones this Saturday late at night. It’s the fourth time since he arrived to the Base that he’s sort of replacing to the dishwasher, a young boy who asked him the favor for the second time this month. The artist didn’t have any problem on giving him a hand as the guy told him his mother was sick and he needed to see her. After all, he likes helping out others from time to time and he enjoys the time in the kitchen chatting with the staff even when he knows he’s not allowed to come to this area. They are the only remaining people in there. The night is pretty cold and Jaejoong wishes the dishwasher can return before it starts raining.

Unexpectedly, Captain Jung enters the kitchen fuming and the old cook doesn’t have to guess the reason of his presence there as he barely directs him a nod and a sign to leave the place and goes straight to Jaejoong who at that moment is drying the last plates before accommodating them on the cupboard.

“What are you doing here?!

“Uhh… putting the plates on their place?”

“Don’t try to be cheeky with me. This isn’t your job! And if you think that I’m going to continue acting like I don’t notice the things you’re doing you’re terribly wrong.”

“Well,” Jaejoong says fidgety accommodating the gloves he just used. “Jon had to go to see his mother I don’t know if you know but-”

“You’re so naïve for certain things. That guy was in a nightclub like he was too the other times he convinced you to do his work with who knows what stupid reason and I saw him there and that’s why he’s fired!”

“What were you doing in a nightclub?” Jaejoong asks annoyed paying attention to Yunho’s clothes just then. He’s not wearing his uniform or one of his usual plain sport outfits that make his and tights looking great, not that Jaejoong wants to be distracted by those thoughts right now. He notices the other man is wearing all black under the same brown coat he had the day they met by the first time.

“What?! That’s not important at all here. You could be fired too, don’t you get it?!”

“Well, I thought he was being honest!” Jaejoong starts to yell too. “Forgive me for trusting people!”

“Everyone knows that he’s a liar! Only an innocent or an idiot would believe him!”

“Stop yelling at me!” Jaejoong takes one of the gloves squeezing it between his fingers angered. “I’m older than you. Have some respect!” Jaejoong stands firmly in front of the other throwing fire from his eyes.

“Then stop acting so childishly! It’s not the first time you do whatever you want and you can’t keep acting like you’re not responsible-”

“That’s not childish. This…” Jaejoong steps away a little, “… is childish.” He finishes throwing the glove he was holding at the face of the Captain who doesn’t manage to react on time. “I didn’t do anything wrong. If something I trusted the wrong person! Sometimes I’m stupid that’s why I like you!” Jaejoong goes to the door stopping while he’s already holding the handle. “You could never be my Yun. He was sweet and kind and smart and you’re like and old, cranky, stupid bastard!”

Yunho throws daggers with his glare. “Of course not.” He says coldly spitting venom with each word. “I wouldn’t let you manipulate me and according to you that poor kid was a toy you loved to fool to entertain your idiots of friends so… thanks heavens I’m not him…”

"You know what?" Jaejoong says staring at Yunho's face for a moment before going to the kitchen's exit that directs to the second backyard instead of the one that directs to the dinning room to go to the dorms. "You don't need to worry about me being fired. I quit! You can take your job and shove it in-"

"Where are you going?"

"None of your business!"

Jaejoong leaves the place slamming the door and not looking back. Yunho stays in the same spot his eyes lingering on the door through where the other just leave wearing his work pants, a white t-shirt and still the apron he put on to do the dishes. Maybe he's going to smoke or intern in the woods climbing up the wall or he's just going to the stables even when he won't be able to get to the horses as the access is blocked at this hour.

Seeing the heaven covered with clouds and thinking that he definitely went overboard, Yunho decides to go after him. His anger has long subsided and he refuses to think about the fact that what was bothering more than anything is what Changmin told him. If he's lucky enough he'll convince the artist to come back before the rain starts to pour over them. It won't be an easy task because he knows that Jaejoong can be really stubborn.

Yunho finally finds Jaejoong at one of the stables, sitting on the floor near to the few bales of straws piled up there in a space of six square meters at most. It's clear that Jaejoong's intention was to get to the horses but he couldn't so he was even more frustrated.

Rain has started to fall already so Yunho sits on one of the bales as closer to Jaejoong as he can. “We’re going to have to stay here at least until the rain subsides.”

“I didn’t ask you to follow me,” Jaejoong grumbles looking to the other side.

“Are you going to quit for real?”

“No… I don’t have the money to pay the penalty so if you wanna fire me just do it. I don’t care anymore.”

“But I want you to stay. I mean… your work is really great that’s why the commission decided to hire you and-”

“That the face I made for Junsu’s android was your spitting image didn’t have anything to do with it then?”

“Not really…” Yunho says, “it was something deeper. Actually the commission didn’t even know me when your work was sent to them. It wasn’t just because of the android although that was what sealed the deal. They have been seeing your work since way before.” Yunho moves a little closer to the sulking artist. “There’s a reason why they wanted to hire you, a real artist, in these times when so many have everything done with technology. The beauty of art like what you create is impossible to get for other ways because it needs a soul and that’s what your work and your android have… Jaejoong look at me.”

Jaejoong turns his head towards him and their eyes meet and Yunho has the chance to miss the usual spark on those big eyes that now are covered with sadness.

“I’m sorry, Jaejoong. I shouldn’t have told you that-”

“No… you’re right. If Yun was alive, he’d have to be really stupid to come near to me again.”

“I think that everyone do stupid things when we’re young, some worse than others but I’m sure you didn’t actually want to hurt him…”

“I didn’t. And I really wanted to tell him I’m sorry if I did. Yun was very important for me and I don't think all our memories together were bad.”

They stay in an awkward silence for long moments hearing the sound of the rain and the noises from the horses at the back.

Yunho notices that Jaejoong is shivering hugging himself, he must be cold for sure but of course he’s saying nothing.

“Jaejoong, come here.” Yunho tells him standing next to him. “You must be freezing.”

“Are you going to give me your coat?”

“What about sharing? Come on. Don’t be afraid.” Yunho says with a flirty glint in his tone.

Jaejoong looks at him warily before standing up and letting himself being embraced inside the warm of the open coat of the other man. Truth is that he’s cold and he wasn’t going to waste the chance to share the other’s warm for a little. “This is nice.”

“You’re losing weight,” Yunho says running his fingers lightly across Jaejoong’s spine making him shudder before stopping on the apron’s knot undoing it to remove it.

Jaejoong doesn’t answer, he just indulges in the moment trying to calm the thumpthing of his heart.

When they get tired of standing they sit over the straw bales but end rolling over laying on them finally covering themselves with the coat.

"What were you doing in a nightclub?"

"I had a meeting," Yunho says shrugging.

"In a nightclub..."

"Of course not. It was upstairs but we couldn't get in for the other entrance so we had to go for the nightclub. Then I saw some of the guys from our staff there. Like they're common workers you know they can do that kind of things. I noticed Jon was there too and I found out he had been tricking people to take his place and do his duties especially certain guy who happens to break a lot of rules." He smiles and shifts a little on his spot. "Changmin was there too... is it true?" He hates he might be sounding desperate, "is it true that you kissed him?"

"Oh... that." Jaejoong replaces the confusion of his face with an amused expression. "Yeah, it's true."

"I see..."

Jaejoong doesn't like the stiffness of Yunho's voice nor how he withdraws the hand that was touching his elbow lightly. "But it was nothing. I mean, we were playing that stupid game of dare or punishment and he dared me to kiss him or my punishment would be to kiss him so I did it but it was just a peck…”

“Just a peck, huh?”

“Are you perhaps… jealous?” Jaejoong chuckles, “don’t be. It was nothing really, I mean for me it was nothing just like kissing on the cheek to one of those old aunts your mom introduces to you and you didn’t even know about. Wanna try kissing me?”

Yunho laughs making Jaejoong deep inside think on Yun’s laughter. “Would you like to see where Junsu works and the rest of the building?” he evades the issue.

“I already know almost all the building even some places where I’m not allowed.” Jaejoong says mischievous, “I don’t know if I want to see the crowded basement where Junsu works…”

“You think his team works in some kind of 1984’s office? Because you’re wrong. I’ll show you someday.”

They still talk for a while. For Jaejoong it’s a nice change from their usual bickering, it’d be even better if they were making out but well, being able to snuggle against the heat of Yunho's body, it's already gain.

When he’s already at his room, he goes under the covers quickly fighting his desire to wake up Junsu right away to tell him about his day and to ask explanations about his secret work place but he finally decides to try to sleep better and kicking Junsu’s in the morning.

 

 

----------

 

 

Jaejoong wasn’t expecting to be picked up by a Yunho wearing biker pants and a simple black long-sleeved turtleneck shirt that highlighted his anatomy in the right places to make Jaejoong remember that impossible-to-resist power that that man wields over him. “I’ll steal you this morning,” that’s the only thing Yunho tells him before taking him with him away from his mural.

Jaejoong doesn’t have enough time to think that his gray overall, isn’t the best outfit for a first ‘date’ even if it’s only to see some boring places usually out of his reach. He is led to the underground passage that leads to the modern offices of the technology center where Junsu works. He can hardly believe that there is such a place so close to the old building where he does his own work and of course he believes much less that his great friend has not mentioned any of this to him.

This place goes far beyond how he had been imagined at the beginning. Surely life in these facilities would be much more comfortable because everything is controlled with special panels that facilitate the simplest tasks; even cleaning that is carried out by robots. It's wonderful; however, Jaejoong can't help but feel a bit suffocated after a while. The feeling of being watched and strictly supervised at every moment is overwhelming; after all, living more analogically might have its advantages even if he has to go up and down stairs every day, instead of using the existing system in that modern building that gave the feeling of floating for a few seconds, very different from a regular elevator.

The other building may be old but despite the high security -which he has been able to evade a few times himself-, he can have privacy, which seems impossible in a place like this where the exact location of each person is known in every moment.

Despite of everything included the curios glances some of the people working there directs him, Jaejoong really enjoys his visit. He knows that Yunho is just being nice to make up for yesterday. He knows he’s stuck, he doesn’t know what else to do to make his feelings get to Captain Jung. He confessed already and tried to convey his feelings but still no progress. Maybe I just should give up, he thinks, if all of this is futile at least I can save myself from a broken heart… I’m still on time.

“What is inside of that pretty head of yours?” Yunho asks him when he’s leaving him back at the old building after they had a quick lunch.

“Don’t call me pretty! I am but don’t call me like that,” Jaejoong huffs annoyed.

Yunho laughs openly making him smile, “didn’t you call me pretty before?”

The smile leaves Jaejoong’s face too soon. “Yunho… what is this? Can I hope anything?”

“Are you sure you want to jump into this jungle?”

“I’m not anymore… you were right when you said that I was going to get scared. I am scared. I fear to get into this too deep I won’t be able to get out and I-”

Yunho’s phone rings interrupting them. “Let’s talk about this later.”

Even when Jaejoong wants to say something else he doesn’t do it. He hears that Follow me and soon the Captain is surrounded by his usual of robots. He sees him go riding his motorcycle not too long after when he approaches to the window. Junsu was right again but he feels he’s not just going crazy with curiosity but with frustration too. There’s something there, he can feel it but it’s not enough. “Damn it! Why do you have to be this y…” Jaejoong says slamming his forehead in the window.

 

 

 

----------o----------

 

 

 

He was jealous. It doesn’t matter how he see it, he was terribly jealous after Changmin told him he kissed Jaejoong. He was at that kitchen before realizing it and he was angry, not only because the artist disobeyed the rules once again but because he just knew about his cousin and him.

It has been two weeks since the day he took Jaejoong to know the other building after the couple of hours they spend at the stable. He has been crazily busy these days and he didn’t have the chance to exchange more than a few words.

Yunho thinks a lot about Jaejoong lately, since he saw him at that Fair in fact, with his lips covered in sugar looking unbelievably tempting. But something prevents him of letting his feelings overflow. Can he really trust the other? It’s very clear that they are very different and if their unending fights are something to tell, any relationship aside from boss and employee will be really difficult. He likes to have things under his control but the older man is like a constant challenge able to pulling out people’s true colors, his own true colors.

On the other hand, there is the Changmin matter. He is totally obsessed with Jaejoong and Yunho doesn't like that at all. It is not the first time that both are interested in the same person but Jaejoong is different.

“I’m going to the city, do you want something?” Changmin brings him out from his reverie entering his office, “today is my day off so I taking my boyfriend with me and we won’t return till Monday, so, won’t miss us,” he adds winking playfully.

“What boyfriend?”

“Like if you don’t know. So lucky our days off are the same.”

“Changmin,” Yunho is next to him at the door with a couple of strides. “Stay away from him. I don’t understand your obsession but just stay away from him.”

“I’m not obsessed,” Changmin looks at the other intently, “I told you already that I like him and I’m sure he likes me too, maybe not as much yet but-” his tone doesn’t have his usual playfulness, “I’m being serious this time.”

“I don’t care, just stay away from him!”

“Look, we both know it’s not the first time we want the same and you always end up giving in because I'm your cute little cousin,” he shudders, “forget that last part, please.”

“I never gave in with things I deserved to have. This is not a chess game, this is important! Besides… He likes me…”

“But you don’t feel the same! Aren’t you the obsessed one?” Changmin says exasperated, “is this revenge because of Linda? Are you still mad because you had to get away from her because I liked her too?”

“The thing with Linda was that we were going out, nothing serious, more like a pair of friends, I liked her, you liked her too but the most important was that she liked you so, the one who wasn’t needed in that equation was me, so I stepped aside.”

“That was stupid. You don’t just give in with things you want.”

“We’re talking about people; they aren’t ‘things’.”

“Whatever, I won’t give up just like that when we have such a good chemistry and we even already kissed.”

“Just because you forced him for a stupid game! And a peck isn’t an actual kiss!”

“That’s what he told you?” Changmin laughs out loud. “I’m out.”

He’s alone again and he can’t stop thinking in what just happened. Linda was important for him in the past and it wasn’t easy to forget about her, letting her go wasn’t an act of nobility it was more to save himself from further suffering, he didn’t want to be left aside at the end. It was something like what Jaejoong told him he was wanting to do bout him. It’s something that has been bugging him too.

Yunho leaves his office and goes towards his bedroom because he needs to cool off his head and he wants to get his wallet and go out somewhere away from there.

 

 

That morning, Jaejoong didn’t want to go out despite of being his day off. Lately he doesn’t feel like doing anything aside from working to say the truth, and he feels bored too quickly even at nights drinking with his new friends from his workplace and he doesn’t want to spoil the mood so he declined the new invitation they made him for today.

He was working on the mural earlier so he’s still has his apple hair and is wearing his overall. He has been thinking on his past encounters with Captain Jung, specially these days because they weren’t able to have a proper talk since his date. The only reason why he’s at this hallway he tried to sneak in before is because he remembered a detail from one of those past encounters. The day when he confessed, Yunho told him they weren’t kids anymore and that anymore has been bothering since he recalled the episode so, following Junsu’s advice –kind of, because ‘talking with Yunho about it or ask him directly’ doesn’t include try to get in his dorm without permission– Jaejoong decided to take the chance at this time knowing the owner of the room won’t be there and he can search for answers and start clean a new story after. Something he has very clear is that it doesn’t matter if Yunho Jung is or not Yun Park, he’s already crazy for the man.

 

 

Yunho is about to get to his destiny barely making any noise when he sees that apple hair and he doesn’t care the reason why he’s there nor if it’s the best to do nor anything else anymore. He’s done overthinking everything so he takes Jaejoong by the arm who looks at him surprised and slams him against the wall kissing those lips before they could be opened to say anything and he’s sweet as he imagined he’d be.

After the initial shock Jaejoong responds as passionately as he’s receiving the gesture, it’s him the one opening his mouth first to deepening the kiss and tries to maintain the pace just as fiercely when they are making out in the middle of the hallway without a care if someone comes and sees them. , he’s sure someone saw them already, maybe Changmin or Yoochun because he’s sure someone was leaving the floor an instant ago.

Yunho takes him by the waist, pressing him hard against his body while still kissing him and he is surrendered to his mercy pleasantly. It’s this power he’s unable to resist as he was in a trance enchanted. Jaejoong is catching his breath when Yunho gives him a chance as he kisses her neck and his hands roams over his body.

The artist has time to clear the haze from his mind long enough to realize that as romantic as the idea of ​​letting go of passion sounds, the other idea of ​​being caught making love in the hallway may not be as good after all so, despite how he is and how much they are enjoying the moment he forces himself to be the responsible one this time.

“Yunho…” he starts pushing the other a little, “Are you sure you want to do this?” he says voice coming out hoarse. Please say yes, don’t regret it, he begs internally not wanting to reveal his inner turmoil.

“I’m sure as hell I want you…” Yunho kisses Jaejoong’s neck making him whimper. “Just to be clear,” he says facing the other looking at his eyes, “I like you too, Jaejoong. I’m done denying it.”

“Does this mean that we’re going to swim at the pool?”

Yunho laughs moving away from the other to calm down. “You’re that desperate to see me , uh?”

“Then…”

“I’m going to take your other offer,” he smiles that killer’s smiles that weakens Jaejoong’s knees, “but I’m going to be the one inspecting you thoroughly.”

“I’m eager to see that.” Jaejoong his lower lip seductively. “Yunho… you know that I opened myself to you, I showed myself to you… are you willing to do the same? I want to know what you meant with that

‘anymore’

you said when-”

Yunho gives him a peck and then chuckles amused. “Follow me.”

“Like one of your robots?” Jaejoong says eyeing him suspicious.

“No,” and this time his lips linger a little more over Jaejoong’s. “Follow me, like my lover.”

And they disappear through Yunho’s bedroom door ignoring everything else around.

 

 

end.