I had, I have plans

In Time.
“(Text) Gerald Anderson: Hey, u forgot your sunglasses in my car…”  

 

Just as she realised, Kim sighed. She smiling knowing she would be seeing him again. He was really nice, she felt like she’s known him for so long. She decided that she would give him a call in the evening. In the late afternoon, Kim headed over to Josie’s house to help out with pre-wedding plans. Josie has been her best friend since high school and they’ve gone through so many things together.  It was Josie who helped who stuck out for her during the last three years, helping her get her life back…

 

“Kimmy, so you’re telling me; you finally grew a pair and talked to Gerald? You guys had a date today?!” Josie exclaimed.

 

“Josieeee. It wasn’t a date; I simply paid back his favour. I felt bad. He’s a nice guy and it’s not like I’m interested in dating at the moment. Work calls and I just don’t have time and interest for that. Friendly meeting I’d say.” Kim knew she felt something different about Gerald. She couldn’t quite pinpoint what it was but she knew, eventually, it would come around.

 

“If I didn’t know any better, you left your sunnies in his car on purpose.” She joked and giggled. “Just so you can see this lover boy of yours.”

 

“Shut up you. Besides, he’s way too busy for anything like that. You know relationship wise…”Kim fiddled with the different materials for the entourage.

 

“Well, of course you know.” Josie teased once again.

 

For the rest of the afternoon, they continued to discuss and arrange the wedding preparations. Josie prepared dinner, without her fiancé as he was out of town for a business trip. Catching up with each other’s happenings, Kim was glad that Josie was still there for her. Her family had moved states and she would rarely see them. Occasional phones calls were made but it didn’t suffice for their lack of presence. To Kim, family meant a great deal of importance but she couldn’t bring herself to move with them. Her life was here, in Sydney. She simply couldn’t leave…

 

That evening, Kim got home exhausted from her busy day. It wasn’t as much as walking around that tired her out but it was her engaged conversation with Josie and their plans for the future. It engrossed Kim that Josie had finally found a man in her life. At the age of 20, she fell pregnant with her first boyfriend but he fled the scene, finding out about their situation. At the age of four, Josh has grown to be a smart and talented child. Kim admired that Josie didn’t let such challenges break her down. Kim could only hope that she can be as strong as friend.

 

After cleaning up, Kim relaxed on the sofa with a cup of honey green tea in her hand. She remembered to give Gerald a call…

 

“Hello? Kim?”

 

“Hey, I got your message earlier. Sorry it must’ve slipped off my mind.”

 

“Nah, don’t sweat it. Did you want me to drop it off sometime soon or?”

 

“Oh no, it’s alright. I don’t want to bother you. I’ll pick it up sometime this week. If that’s alright with you, I mean, whenever you’re not busy.”

 

Somehow, Gerald was surprised that Kim gave him a call. She simply could’ve texted back. He like hearing her voice, it seemed to him that it brought a sense of solace, although he couldn't explain why. With Kim's suggestion of coming by to pick up her sunglasses, Gerald thought it wouldn't be harmful to ask if she's join him for dinner. Hopeful with his idea, he took a breathe and asked her.

 

"How about you come by on Friday? Around 6.30pm? If you don't have anything planned that is. I'll prepare a small meal." He mentally crossed his fingers hoping she would agree. Gerald heard Kim take a breathe. Maybe he suggested too much? Kim pondered on his invitation. A dinner wouldn't hurt right? He was just being friendly. Kim convinced herself with his kind invite.

 

"Oh alright, I'll bring dessert." She smiled. It would be lovely seeing him again. Having the chance to speak to him earlier today made her realise this is what she's been missing all these years. Someone who showed gratitude for her existence and made it known she was somebody. Somebody who deserved to be treated importantly. Who would have known? A president of a significant constructions company was paying attention to her, asking her to dinner. It was a nice feeling.

 

Friday night was taking too long for Gerald. Surprisingly, he was thankful for the workload he needed to finish as this gave him the chance to take his mind of things and stay busy. He couldn't wait to see Kim again. It's been so long since he felt this way before. All that he can say was that, the feeling of loving someone is challenging but definitely worthwhile. He has decided that, whatever it takes. He will feel that way again. That he promised himself.

 

5:55.

 

6:10

 

6:20

 

6:25

 

6:35

 

Gerald began to pace. What if she forgot? What is she couldn't make it? What if her car cra--. He didn't want to think too much about. Stop it, stop it. It's just traffic. He calmed himself.

 

6:42...

 

Ding dong.Thank God! She's finally here! He had thought the worst of circumstances. Gerald walked over to the door and opened it. He saw Kim standing before him in a mustard maxi skirt with a black blouse. Her loose waves rested beautifully on her shoulders and her make-up was so natural you could barely notice it. Phenomenal. Gerald thought. He has never met anyone like her. She was tough and strong but elegant all at the same time. He didn't realise how long he'd been staring at her. Her mind blowing beauty literally took his breath away. It embarrassed him to stare at her like that, she was just so fragile. Clearing his throat, coming back to reality; Gerald welcome and escorted Kim inside his house. She had made a cookies and cream cheesecake.

 

"Welcome to my humble abode." He joked as he showed her where the kitchen was. Kim placed the dessert by the kitchen bar and wandered around. She admired the details in the house. Everything was clearly well thought of, each corner of the kitchen was so admirable. She loved everything about it. Goodness, she hasn't even seen the rest of the house.

 

"Lovely house Gerald. It's so..." Kim tried to think of the right word. "Perfect." She almost whispered it.

 

"Thank you, it's been inspired by a lot of things I've come across and experience. I wanted it to be just the way w--, I had imagined it." He smiled, happy that she loved the place.

 

"But!" She exclaimed, noticing something.

 

"Oh, there's always a but!" He laughed.

 

"No no, nothing negative. I'm just saying; take no offence but, it's just so so big. Two? Three storey? I'm sure it's much more than a bachelor's den. Don't get me wrong, a CEO like you deserves such luxury." Kim had a point.

 

Gerald simply smiled. "I had, have plans..." He walked over to the grill to fetch dinner.

 

"Ooh! Smoked salmon! My favourite!" She clapped in excitement.

 

"I know." Everything on the dining table was perfect. The arrangement, the flowers, there were even candles lit up. Kim was sure it was vanilla. She loved vanilla.

 

"You know?" Her eyebrow arched. How can he possibly know such trivia?

 

"I mean, I presumed so. You ordered a smoked salmon bagel at the cafe right?"

 

Wow, he had a good memory.

 

As they ate throughout dinner, Kim and Gerald shared stories about how their week went. Kim discovered his family was in Italy, she told him that she knew how it feels like, to have your family far away. She couldn't comprehend how he was still single, not even a form of love interest in the past couple of years. It surprised her that Gerald didn't think of settling down. He was, after all, big boss of the company. She knew better than to ask him though, he might be concealing something from that past. Something she respected to let him keep.

 

"My goodness. That was delicious. I don't remember eating so much potatoes my whole life! Are you sure you cooked that?" She laughed, leaning back onto her chair as she took a sip of the '97 Sauvignon Blanc.

 

"You don't trust my cooking?" He arched an eyebrow.

 

"I'm kidding. I'm surprised how you had time to do this, a busy bee like you must have a lot of time on their hand!"

 

"I'd say otherwise, I left early today. I worked extra hours all week, I'd agree that I deserve a reward." He winked.

 

"I see... Well, Mr. Anderson. CEO of 4one9, I award you the best-smoked-salmon-cook ever. That, I promise you is true."

 

They toasted and drank. After a little more chatting, Kim sliced the cake and they sat in the lounge room for a much more comfortable atmosphere. Gerald had brought out a couple more drinks from his collection. Kim admired how organised he was, everything was arranged chronologically and she realised how much he must've spent on wine alone.

 

"Kim this cake is extravagant. I don't think I'll have any left for tomorrow. It's just too good!" He ate some more.

 

"Don't fret, I can always make some more." She winked. She was flushed. The wine must be taking effect. Gerald could see her porcelain skin turn a tinge of pink. She looked beautiful as ever. "Oh it's getting hot." She remarked as she flipped her hair into one side. Leaving a bare left shoulder, Gerald saw that she had a tattoo between where her collar bone met her shoulder. He was surprised with such view, he didn't expect Kim to have a tattoo. The more he got to see her, the most he discovered the quaint little trivia's she had.

 

"Tattoo?" He couldn't quite make out what it said...

 

"Ah yes, long long story. It says 'Speranza', Italian for 'Hope'." It means a lot to me." She smiled weakly.

 

"You are one interesting woman Kimberly. Every time I see you, I discover something quite whimsical." He said. His eyes completely locked on hers.

 

"I could say the same thing about you Mr. Anderson." She moved closer.

 

It must be the wine. They both thought but regardless there was now barely any space between them.

 

"There's nothing formal about it when you call me that. It sounds too y instead." He moved closer.

 

The closer he was the closer she felt like kissing him. There was no turning back. Kim could feel him breathing. His warm breath was landing on her soft, lips. If he moved once more their lips would touch. He did. He kissed her and Kim reciprocated much fervour. Once he felt Kim kiss her back, Gerald let loose the passion he's been holding in. He couldn't stop. Nothing was going to stop him now... It was, tantalising.