Chapter Four - Let’s call a truce

A Matter of Taste

After his heated confrontation with Jaejoong, Yunho returned home, the feeling of defeat weighed on him heavily. 

He’d moved back home soon after hearing his father was sick. It was weird coming back, especially when things had ended so bitterly between them. Yunho hadn’t been able to go into his father’s room since he’d passed away, but after he read the review and fired Yoochun, he didn’t want to be anywhere else. 

That was when he found his old yearbook, neatly tucked away on his father’s bookshelf. And for some unknown reason, he felt compelled him to look through and reminisce a time when things were simpler for him.  

As he sat on father’s bed, he flicked through the pages and cringed when he came across an old picture of him with his fellow football teammates. His hair had been overly styled, and his teeth were crooked. And yet, he was still popular. 

It was then that he saw it, in bold letters: ‘Kim Jaejoong’. Yunho inspected the picture closely, there was something familiar about the boy in the picture, particularly his the doe shaped eyes, plump lips and white skin. He had delicate features, almost feminine, but he looked cold. “It can’t be” he gasped, as the realisation dawned on him. 

He had met Hero before. Only he wasn’t Hero back then but a former student at his high school, Kim Jaejoong. 

His whole body was shaking, consumed with anger. All he could think about was why? 

Yunho rushed into his room and his laptop. His eyes darted across the screen as he searched ‘Hero’ and ‘Kim Jaejoong’ in an attempt to make sense of everything and join the dots between the two. Now as he read over the review again with this new-found knowledge, it was all he could focus on. 

Before his mind could catch up with him, Yunho stormed out the house. His head was working at a hundred miles a minute, but he thought only of one person — Kim Jaejoong. 

As he looked back on the interaction, Yunho shuddered with embarrassment. He slumped back in his bed and tried to erase the past few hours from his memory. “You idiot” he groaned into his pillow. 

The thought of the day ahead couldn’t be more daunting. He had so much to prepare. There was the matter of finding Yoochun’s replacement, something he never expected he’d have to do. While Yoochun was lazy, he was still a decent chef. And he couldn’t afford to be firing staff at this moment in time, especially with the pending publication of Jaejoong’s review. 

That was another thing. He needed to protect the restaurant for the aftermath of the review. Once word gets out that his restaurant received a bad review from the ‘one and only’ Hero, people would be less likely to visit that they currently are. But he was going to fight. 

He wouldn’t let it fail. He couldn’t. 

 

Jaejoong checked his watch for what seemed like the hundredth time. He stood impatiently in the school courtyard. “Late again…” he grumbled, as he started to stuff the remaining books in his backpack and prepared to leave. 

“I’m here!” A voice called out from behind him. 

“Yeah… almost an hour late!” He yelled back, not bothering to turn around. He continued to walk off, despite hearing the heavy footsteps get closer. “I told you, I don’t care if you had practice or if you were too busy with your friends. You need to be on time” he continued, as the boy caught up to him. 

Yunho squatted beside Jaejoong who had stopped walking. “For a small guy, you walk fast” he said, panting heavily. 

Jaejoong waited for him to catch his breath, and once they were facing each other before he said, “If you’re not going to take this seriously, then let’s just end this now. I’ve got assignments of my own to get done, not to mention studying for finals”.

But despite his firm tone, Yunho didn’t seem bothered nor concerned. Instead, he wrapped an arm around Jaejoong — much to his disapproval — and chuckled lightly, “I’m sorry Jae. Heechul started a conversation with me as I was leaving class and you know how he likes to talk forever!”. 

Heechul does like the sound of his voice, Jaejoong admitted to himself, but quickly dismissed it. What had caught him off guard was how the other boy had seemingly given him a nickname, Jae. “Not my problem” he replied curtly, as he shrugged his arm off him. 

“Ok wait! I’m sorry… I promise I’ll take it seriously from now on. I need help. Please?” Yunho begged. 

It was his face. The way he looked at him, his dark eyes boring into his own. Yet again, Jung Yunho had caught him off guard. Jaejoong rolled his eyes and looked away, “fine” he sighed. 

Jaejoong felt himself being pulled into a hug. His face now smothered against Yunho’s chest. He stood still and felt his shoulder twitch slightly from the sudden embrace. 

“Thank you!” Yunho exclaimed. He felt the small boy squirm in discomfort and pulled back instantly. “Sorry. Was that too much?” He chuckled nervously, rubbing the back of his neck. 

“A tad bit, yeah” Jaejoong grumbled, “let’s just… keep the touching to a minimum” he added. 

That made the other laugh. It was a warm and hearty laugh, one that sounded different from when he’d laugh at one of his friend’s dumb jokes or even when he’d laugh at some of the female students’ poor attempts at banter in hopes of winning his affections. It was genuine. 

Yunho held his hand out and grinned, “how about we call a truce. I promise to start taking things seriously if you lighten up a little. Deal?”. 

Jaejoong looked at the outstretched hand sceptically. “I don’t see why I need to agree to anything. You’re the one who needs my help” he scoffed. 

“C’mon! I think we could be friends if you weren’t such a hard ” Yunho teased.

Friends. Jaejoong had never been great at making friends. He was too awkward and shy which was often misinterpreted as him being cold or distant. He reached out hesitantly, and grabbed hand in front of him, “whatever” he mumbled. A small smile formed on those usually pursed lips, and while Jaejoong may not have realised, Yunho noticed.

“You fancy some pizza?” Yunho asked randomly. When he saw the puzzled expression on Jaejoong’s face, he added “I mean… like… we can study at mine. My dad’s restaurant I mean. I can get us a free pizza”. 

“Erm… o-okay” he fumbled. Jaejoong was practically a regular customer there. Mainly because he’d often have to grab last-minute take out for dinner on the way from school, as both his parents worked long shifts and weren’t always able to prepare dinner. But he’d never once seen Yunho there. 

There was little conversation between the two boys as they wandered through the streets, but it was a comforting silence. Jaejoong so often felt like he needed to say something, to avoid people thinking he was disinterested or bored, but for the first time, he felt like he could enjoy the quiet. As he looked over, he noticed Yunho was staring at him. “What?” He asked, starting to feel self-conscious. 

Yunho chuckled softly and shrugged. “I dunno…I feel like we’re gonna be good friends, Jae” he replied. 

Jaejoong sat up suddenly, beads of sweat sat on his brow. He fumbled to turn on the light on his bedside table and reached for the glass of water he’d kept nearby. As he sipped, he thought back to the dream that had woken him. It was a memory from his school days, a memory of him.

The luminous numbers of his clock danced before him, finally slowing down to read: 3:00 am. “” he groaned, falling back onto his pillow. Why was he thinking of this now, he thought tiredly.  

A few days had passed, and yet he hadn’t been able to sleep properly since his encounter with Yunho. He was even a few days behind on his deadline for publishing the review. And while he was being rushed by his team, he’d insisted on holding off. “Not yet” he would say every time. 

But in truth, he wasn’t sure when he would feel ready to publish the piece. What he was waiting for, he had no idea. 

He had hoped that the stubborn man would just admit that the review was fair and honest, rather than further deluding himself into believing it had something to do with their shared past. 

Perhaps, a small part of him was upset. Perhaps. But Jaejoong was not one to let petty resentments override his professionalism. 

He had heard that the restaurant was quickly going under, now that it had lost its head chef and so little customers visit. It would be soon closed, he knew. 

And while this would not be the first restaurant he’d overseen that had soon shut down, he couldn’t shake the inkling of guilt he felt. 

He recalled Yunho’s desperate attempt to sway him, and to an extent, it had worked. He still hadn’t published the piece and his thoughts — both conscious and subconscious — were of him

“Damn you Jung Yunho” Jaejoong cursed quietly, as he flicked off the light. 

 

Yunho was worn out. He still hadn’t managed to find a replacement for Yoochun and began to suspect that some of the kitchen staff held a slight grudge against him for the dismissal. 

Only Changmin and Junsu remained at his side, but they were equally as strung out. They had been working overtime, but their efforts were wasted. They were still so low on customers, even without Hero’s review being published.

It had puzzled him that he hadn’t spotted the review yet. Could it be that the other was waiting for the restaurant to be on the brink of closing before serving his last blow, Yunho wondered. 

“Another day bites the dust” Changmin sighed, as he plonked down on the chair beside Yunho. “Hyung? You eaten yet?” He asked, with a concerned look on his face. 

Yunho simply shook his head in response. He couldn’t eat. He couldn’t sleep. He couldn’t rest; not while knowing that his business was sinking. 

Lost in his thoughts of the day just gone, he didn’t notice that Changmin had left and now returned with a plate of food in hand. “Eat up” he ordered, as he placed the plate in front of Yunho. 

“I hope this isn’t how you serve the customers” Yunho said jokingly, and managed to smile at him — even if it was a small one. 

Changmin was relieved to see the change in expression but could see through the other’s facade. He rolled his eyes and pushed the plate closer towards Yunho, “I’m being serious hyung. Eat. Please?” he urged. 

“Alright, alright! If it will get you to stop treating me like some sad old sap, then fine” Yunho replied begrudgingly, and then took a bite of a pizza slice. 

It was as if he had soil in his mouth. Was his food that bad, he thought to himself. No, not bad, he soon realised. “It’s not the same…” he uttered, unaware he was speaking aloud. 

“What’s not the same?” Changmin asked, slightly perplexed. 

But his words went unheard. Instead, Yunho’s mind had gone back to an unpleasant memory.

“And what do you think you’re going to do out there?!” Yanghyun yelled from the bottom of the stairs. 

Yunho stumbled down the stairs, his duffel bag behind him. “I don’t know. I don’t care. But at least I’ll be away from here” he spat out as he stormed past Yanghyun. 

Yanghyun grabbed him by the collar and pulled him back so that they faced each other. “You think you’ll be able to survive out there all by yourself? Now that you’ve dropped out of school, you have no qualifications. Do you think anyone will hire you? No. You have nothing!” he stated, his eyes now glassy. 

“What you mean is now I can’t become a lawyer like you and mum wanted. Where I’m going, I don’t need school, I don’t need qualifications and I don’t need you!” Yunho shouted harshly. 

As he reached the front door, he felt a hand gently rest on his shoulder. Yunho turned around to see that his father was crying. 

“Yunho-ah… please. It’s not too late, I can speak to your teachers and get you back in. You don’t even know what you’re going to do when you leave, you have no plan” he said, his voice breaking towards the end. 

“I-I do have a plan” he stammered, but then stood firmly and said “Dad… I’m not cut out for the life you and mum had planned for me. It was your passion, not mine”. 

Yanghyun smiled weakly, he knew there was nothing else he could stay to convince his stubborn son. “You don’t have a passion for anything Yunho-ah. You couldn’t find it here and you won’t find it there” he sighed deeply. 

Those words stung him deeply, Yunho remembered. “Min-ah. Can you close up tonight?” He said abruptly. 

Changmin looked confused, “hold on, where are you going?” he questioned, as he watched him slip on his jacket and head towards the door. 

“To see someone… an old friend” Yunho smiled and walked out. 

 

Jaejoong eyes bore into his screen. He’d re-written the same sentence countless amount times, yet he remained unsatisfied. He pinched the bridge of his nose as he felt the beginnings of a migraine. 

“Writer’s block?” Ji-won said, she’d popped her head through his office door.  

“I think so…” he chuckled tiredly, still recovering from another sleepless night. “My Coffee?” He asked hopefully. 

Ji-won stepped in, holding a mug filled to the brim. “Yep” she smiled as she approached his desk and carefully placed it down. “Oh!” she said, pausing at his door, “you also have a visitor. Am I okay to send him through?” she added. 

Distracted by the steaming drink in front of him which he had been aching after — Jaejoong nodded briskly. Now content, he returned to his writing. 

“Is now a good time?” Yunho said sheepishly. 

Jaejoong looked up, his eyes widened with surprise. “Yu- I mean - Mr Jung. I didn’t expect to see you” he cursed inwardly for fumbling over his words. “What brings you-” he started but was interrupted. 

“I need your help” Yunho blurted out. He hated how helpless he felt under the critic’s scrutinising glare. “You were right. The restaurant is failing and…” he sighed heavily before he continued, “…and it’s my fault”. 

Unsure of how to respond to the sudden confession, Jaejoong remained quiet. He watched as Yunho squirmed with discomfort, and tried to compose himself as best he could. And while he managed to keep a straight-face, he felt his heartbeat rapidly against his chest. “So… you thought you’d ask me to help you?” He queried sceptically. 

“You even said it yourself. So here I am… asking for your help” he said firmly, not letting his voice waver. He needed to show Jaejoong that he was serious, that he was passionate. 

Still dumbfounded, Jaejoong shook his head dismissively. “You must’ve misunderstood. I only meant that you should take what I said in the review as advice. I didn’t mean… I didn’t intend… I’m sorry if you got the wrong impression” he shrugged. 

Still, Yunho remained determined. He walked up to Jaejoong’s desk and said “Fine. Then I’m asking now. Will you help me, please?” He pleaded. 

“Are you being serious? How can I help you? I can’t tell you how you should run a restaurant” Jaejoong protested, holding his hands up defensively. 

“Why not? Why else do you write your reviews? Isn’t it because you’re passionate about food. Don’t you write them in hopes of improving and helping struggling restaurants — even if they don’t view it that way?” Yunho insisted. He inched closer, not breaking away from Jaejoong’s gaze. “Am I right?” He added. 

Jaejoong stood up suddenly “So what? That doesn’t mean I’m supposed to coach you. I-” he faltered and turned away, unable to think of a sufficient rebuttal. 

He didn’t know why, but Yunho felt a rush of adrenaline and bravery come over him. Perhaps he just had nothing else to lose, so he was beyond acting shamelessly. He slowly shuffled behind Jaejoong’s desk, and gently placed his hand on Jaejoong’s shoulder. 

As if he had an electric shock, Jaejoong jumped slightly and swerved around to face Yunho. “What do you-” he began, but immediately fell quiet when he saw those sharp features soften with sadness.  

“If my father saw what his restaurant had become, he’d be so disappointed. I’ve disappointed him enough when he was alive… I can’t do it again” Yunho uttered. He stepped back so that he was no longer looming over the other. “Please will you help me…… Jae?” he said finally, his voice breaking slightly.

He couldn’t refuse him. Not even after all these years. “Okay…” he uttered.

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Thank you again for all the comments and to anyone reading the story -- whether you're subscribed or just passing by. Wanted to say please watch out for the swearwords, as AsianFanfics still removes them, even if I don't spell out the whole word. It's super annoying, so if you have any suggestions, please do let me know. 

 

892d1602d543da5e2da67af85930c0d5.gif