Vagabond, Pt 3- END

SNOEWGDI : Side Story Collection

The only sound that echoed through her spartan apartment was the soft rubbing of pen nub to paper as she scratched out another dead end. Her only companion was the lamp that highlighted her failures. Multiple lines of words and strips of paper, all crumbled and ruined, reflected her state of mind. One year after college and yet no job to show for her efforts. 

One year after college.

One year after Yong left. 

The moment Yong entered her mind, Byul growled and shook her head. She was doing so well in keeping Yong out of her mind.

Taking a deep breath, she regained focus on her shambled life. 

She looked through all the marked off leads again and pulled out those that still remained. Those that still let her have a sliver of hope. Even if only barely. But, she's gotta do what she's gotta do. She's been telling her parents that the hunt is good and that she's just ultra selective and that's why it's taking so long. Despite the lies, it feels better than letting them know the truth and facing their worry. After all, she made it through college despite all the barriers and earned that highly sought after degree, so what is this but just another barrier to overcome?

But it was so much more than some other barrier. 

It was something to show. 

It was the evidence she needed to tell all that laughed at her ambitions that it was not all for nothing. That there was something feasible in it instead of a waste of time and valuable money. 

Byul sighed as she gathered the mess and pushed them over the edge and straight into the trash can. Maybe she should take a part time gig just to pass things over. Make some connections while still hunting for that opportunity. Especially since it's been harder and harder paying for rent and food.

She got up to move the trash can and debated on whether she can afford to eat tonight or maybe save the money for a different day. The soft rumbling from her belly told her what she needed and it aligned with what she wanted but her wallet told her otherwise. 

"Huh, maybe Yong was right.....Maybe I should've invested some time into gardening...." Byul muttered without thinking.

And like that, Yong invaded her mind with a vengeance. 

Standing in the middle kitchen, trash can barely lifted off the ground, Byul's mind raced with possibilities in a flash. 

If Yong was here, Yong would be encouraging her.

If Yong was here, Yong would be doing everything she could to support her. 

If Yong was here, Yong would be working her off to ensure that they don't starve. 

If Yong was here, then everything would be alright. 

The soft knocking at her door rattled Byul out of her haze and brought her back to the harsh reality. For a brief moment, she thought she was just hearing things. She's not one to receive visitors late at night anyway. 

Standing still and hearing nothing, Byul put down the trash can and quietly made her way back to the table. Maybe someone got the wrong door. Maybe, maybe, maybe. 

As she got to the table, the knocking came again. This time harder. It was obvious that whoever was out there came for her. As ominous as it was, Byul crept towards the door. A list of possible suspects raced through her mind but none made sense. It was Sunday night at 10pm, who the hell would be at her door?

Unlocking the bolt but leaving the chain, Byul peeked outside to see who intruded. 

And her world froze.

"Hey...."

The once loud, confident, stern, loving voice she knew was gone and in it's place was something meek and tired. It was the voice of a person who went through trials and tribulations of unknown proportions. 

"Yong...." Byul whispered. Uncertain in what she was seeing was true. 

In front of her was Yong, but not the proud Yong she knew. 

Yong's hair was short and disheveled. It was clear that there was no upkeep to it and in some places it looked caked together by some unknown substance. Yong's frame looked small as it was engulfed in ill-fitting, oversized clothing. Her jeans were faded and it was beginning to fringe and had permanent stains. The shirt she wore bore various stains and was beginning to tear and rip. The oversized leather jacket shared the same look and damage. The same damage also extended to the boots she wore. 

But it was Yong's face that made Byul's heart freeze and ache. It was the opposite of what she had always seen. Something she never wants to see. 

Yong's bright eyes were dark and had dark circles underneath. Various cuts and bruises still remained on her face. Part of was a bit swollen and there was an obvious cut above the lip. Her nose was slightly crooked and there was a Band-Aid that went across the bridge. 

"Byul, I--"

Before Yong could utter another syllable, Byul slammed the door at once. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Out of all the places that Yong had slept, this was the most comfortable. Despite being on concrete, there was something comforting in being underneath a roof. Yes, she was still out in the open, still in front of Byul's door, but she would rather be here than out in the elements again.

And here she will stay. 

But, despite the comfort, she still had her senses about her. For the remainder of the night, she was only half asleep. Fully aware that she may need to move at a moment's notice. 

It was only when the sun began to rise did she fully relax and let her senses slip. For what felt like an eternity, Yong finally had a short moment of blissful sleep. 

When she felt a presence did she jerk awake. It took her a moment but she got her bearings straight and looked at what disrupted her rest. 

Looked straight into the soft brown eyes of the love of her life. 

She opened to say something, but Byul shook her head and held out a cup of fresh steaming coffee. The gesture was obvious. One step at a time. 

Looking at Byul then at the coffee, Yong sighed and let out a small smile. She stared into Byul's soul as she reached out to grab the cup. The warmth was radiating and comforting like Byul's equally small smile. 

Before her hand touched the cup, she hesitated. A brief moment of doubt. A doubt that soon was vanquished as Byul gently moved the cup forward into her hand. She could have just grabbed the cup there but she needed to let Byul know her intentions. Her purpose. And there was only one way to get that message across since words aren't enough. 

Yong grabbed the cup and enveloped her hand around Byul's.