Vagabond, Pt 1

SNOEWGDI : Side Story Collection

The wind roared in her ears as she drove down the empty highway underneath the blazing sun. The surrounding desert was vast and endless as the waves from the earth constantly tested her senses and mind. She's been driving for so long that time held no meaning. The only thing that kept her going was that there was no going back from what she had done. As much as she wanted to be back in Byul's arms, there was nothing left for her now. She made her choice.

But, at least all roads lead somewhere. 

The sun barely started to set when the highway finally led her to its next destination. Another small desert town. From a distance, it just looked like a small speck on the horizon. And, for a brief moment, Yong was certain that the small speck would grow bigger as she got closer but that was a lie. If anything the speck just spread out more.

Like the wind, her bike roared through the town and echoed off whatever buildings were there. Most of which looked abandoned, but there were some that seemed to be well taken care of. No people were in sight even though the parked cars gave indication that there was life here. The buildings were made of brick and few were made of wood. There was a staple bar, general store, motel, and gas station all along this one strip of road that connected this desolate town to the veins of the other cities and to the rest of the country. This town made her hometown look like a mass metropolis. 

Her mind blank, her body was on autopilot. There was nothing for her here. Afterall, Mak told her the fight would be two towns over and this is just the first one. This town is just for the hopeless that are bound to the desert and her unbiased nature. The desert swallows dreams and guards secrets. The perfect place to run away and get lost in. The perfect place to repent.

She was halfway through the town when her eyes finally focused back on the road in front of her. The heat waves blurred everything around her.

"--"

In the middle of the road was a mangy dog that Yong jerked instinctually in order to avoid hitting the canine. But in doing so she lost control of her bike and immediately tumbled onto the hot cracked pavement. The machine that was her bike, a trusted ally already on its last legs, scraped against the road with a maddening metallic screeching that as her own body was thrown against the pavement she only thought about the price of the repairs if her bike survives. Hell, in a town like this, is there a place that can repair her bike? Will anyone even have the skill to fix it?

Eventually both human and machine came to a stop. With a groan, Yong slowly started to get up. Being the boxer that she was, her body was tempered. Being thrown against pavement and ragdolling for a little bit was nothing. With knees and hands still on the burning road, she looked over to where the dog was. 

Yong couldn't help but freeze in place. The dog looked tired and beaten. There were patches where no fur grew like scars. The face of the dog was old and haggard. But it was the eyes that caught Yong's attention. The dog's eyes were bright and aware and stared at Yong with such an intensity that she felt judgement being cast. Within the dog's eyes, Yong saw her soul.

Her hair was long and disheveled. Her jeans have long since faded and have begun to tear at the fringes and at the knee. Her shirt, which already was beginning to tear, became ripped and torn after being thrown across the road. But her own eyes are what froze her in place. 

Her eyes were soulless and desolate. 

Byul always said that her eyes shone as bright as the sun on a clear day. But now it was just like looking at a dead star. In the back of her mind, she wonders what would Byul say if she could see her now. Maybe Byul would mock her. Maybe Byul would pity her. Maybe Byul would do nothing. Maybe maybe maybe. It's always maybe.

Maybe she should've stayed.

Maybe they could've talked.

Maybe if she told the truth then Byul wouldn't have had her hopes and dreams so high.

Maybe, if she wasn't scared, then they would still be together.

The dog continued to stare before letting out a huff and walking off. It's judgment has been made. 

The only thing Yong could do was sit there for a while longer before the sun painted the landscape orange and red.