Chapter Five

Lost Boys

 

 

 

After Youngbae had returned to Seoul, Jiyong had been visiting the stall every once in a while. He liked talking to Giyeog. The guy was cheerful and funny. They often talked about their day and made irrelevant small talks.

 

He also found out that Giyeog is very much similar to Seunghyun. He had a sweet tooth and loved all kinds of dessert. He also preferred the night than daytime. Giyeog and his halmeoni lived humbly in a small house not too far from the food stall. Every night Giyeog would pull their little food cart back to their home with halmeoni. They don’t own a phone unfortunately and the only way Jiyong can spend time with Giyeog is to visit him at the stall.

 

“I see you here all the time, young man!” Jiyong was drinking his beer when halmeoni came over and sat down next to him.

 

“Oh, anyeonghasaeyo.” Jiyong said, bowing slightly.

 

“Just call me halmeoni, like Giyeog.” Halmeoni smiled and took off her apron.

 

“Neh. Are you closing already?”

 

“Yeah. It is winter, people don’t really visit this late. Giyeog is just cleaning up.”

 

“Oh neh. I’ll finish off and be on my way then.” Jiyong stuffed a few pieces of tteokbeokki into his mouth.

 

Halmeoni chuckled and grabbed Jiyong’s right forearm.

 

“Aish, be careful or else you’ll choke yourself. We’re not in a rush. Giyeog takes a while anyway.”

 

Jiyong just nodded while chewing, unable to say anything.

 

“I am glad that Giyeog met you. The poor boy has been by my side all this time. He doesn’t really have friends, until you came.” Halmeoni sighed.

 

“Giyeog is really fun to talk to. He’s really funny.” Jiyong smiled warmly.

 

Halmeoni was about to say something when a loud sound of pots crashing down startled them.

 

“Yah! Yeog-ah! What was that?” Halmeoni stood up immediately and went to the back of the stall.

 

When halmeoni got to the back of the stall, Jiyong heard Giyeog’s desperate attempt at explaining.

 

“I swear it was a cat that knocked them over! Ouch! Ouch! See, it went that way! Ouch! Halmeoni, stop hitting me! Ouch! Halmeoniiiiii~~~”

 

Jiyong shook his head slightly and chuckled.

 

 

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

 

 

It is already winter and Jiyong was already in his last week of break. He was casually walking towards the food stall when he realised that the stall was not there.

 

That was unusual.

 

Jiyong decided he’ll come back tomorrow and turned around to head back where he came from. He paused when he saw Giyeog walking down the streets, heading towards his direction. The taller man had earphones on and looked like he was deep in thought.

 

Giyeog didn’t have much but during Christmas last year, halmeoni bought him a tiny used MP3 player and earphones. That was Giyeog’s most prized possession and he would always have it with him wherever he goes.

 

“Giyeog-shii!” Jiyong called out.

 

“Oh, Jiyong-shii! Are you here for halmeoni’s tteokbokki?” He smiled as he removed his earphones and stuffed them along with his MP3 player into his hoodie pocket.

 

“Yeah. I’m here to hang out too. Is everything okay?” Jiyong asked, concerned.

 

“Halmeoni caught the cold. You know how cold it can get over the winter and we don’t really have a radiator at home so she’s staying over at a neighbour’s. I just came from visiting her.”

 

“Oh no, do you need any help?”

 

“I’m alright. I am just glad that Mrs Kim took her in for the meantime. God knows she’ll only get worse if she stays at home where it’s always too cold for her.” Giyeog said sadly.

 

Jiyong knew how hard life is for them, depending on just the small food stall for a living.

 

“Are you hungry? Let’s go grab some food. It’s on me.”

 

“Ani, it’s okay I’ll just head home……” As soon as Giyeog said it, his stomach started grumbling and he smiled in embarrassment.

 

Jiyong chuckled and dragged the taller man towards the main road.

 

 

 

 

Notes: Sorry for being MIA for so long. I just finished my final paper recently and the pandemic has been causing a lot of headaches. I couldn't really find it in myself to write much. The next chapter might take a while too and I am really sorry for that. However, I can assure you that I am doing my best to keep writing. Stay safe everyone, and stay positive!