Chapter 7

Still I Remember

 

 

“Woohyun, correct me if I’m wrong but I am a little confused.” Howon break the silence that morning on the breakfast table. Woohyun lift his head at the man opposite of him, a silent plea for him to continue. “Aren’t you sharing a room with Sunggyu hyung?”

 

“Yeah?” Woohyun replies, puzzled.

 

“But why I saw you coming out from Sungjong’s room this morning?”

 

That caught everyone’s attention. Sunggyu’s chopstick had stop from picking up the pieces of food, he looks from Woohyun to Howon to Sungjong then to Woohyun, waiting for his answer. Myungsoo and Dongwoo look between Woohyun and Howon, and then they look at each other, bewildered. Sungjong avoided Sungyeol’s question’s eyes on him, faking interest on his breakfast instead.

 

“Oh, you saw me? You woke up early…” Woohyun says nonchalantly.

 

“It doesn’t matter. But you, why did you coming out from Sungjong’s room if you’re sleeping in the same room with Sunggyu hyung?”

 

“It was freezing in the room last night. I can’t withstand the cold so I went to sleep on the couch in the living room. But Sungjong saw me and he offer me to sleep in his room so I won’t catch a cold this morning,” Woohyun replies.

 

“You went to sleep on the couch?” Myungsoo asks, voice unconsciously louder than he intended.

 

Woohyun nods. “I was just lying down when Sungjong caught me,”

 

“Yeah, it was freezing cold last night. May be the cold air from the lake? Your room and our room facing the lake after all,” Sungyeol says. “I woke up a couple of times because it was too cold,”

 

“So…you’re sleeping in Sungjong’s room?” Dongwoo asks.

 

Woohyun nods.

 

“Thank god. You will definitely get sick if you’d sleep on the couch. You can’t handle the cold very well, Woohyun hyung,” Myungsoo says worriedly.

 

“I didn’t, so don’t worry,”

 

“But why Sungjong’s room?” Howon asks, annoyed that everyone seems fine with Nam Woohyun sleep in other man’s room beside his boyfriend, no matter what his excuse is. “Why not sleeping in Dongwoo hyung and my room or…” Howon glance at Sungyeol and Myungsoo. “Or Sungyeol and Myungsoo’s room?”

 

“Because it was Sungjong who found me?” Woohyun asks back, shrugging. “It was Sungjong caught me try to sleep on the couch so he offer me to sleep in his room. If Sungyeol found me, I’m sure he will ask me to sleep in his room too. If you found me…well…I doubt you will offer me your room.”

 

Sungjong smirk at Woohyun’s answer. Sungyeol snicker but thankfully no one but Myungsoo notice. Myungsoo kick Sungyeol’s foot lightly. But he himself smiles evilly behind his chopstick.

 

“But why Sungjong’s room? If Sungyeol’s room as cold as yours, our room should be warmer. You can just come to our room,” Howon says, not dropping the subject.

 

Idiot

 

If this is a comic, you can see a bubble of the word coming out from Sungjong, Sungyeol and Myungsoo’s head. And Dongwoo’s too.

 

“I can’t just knock on your door and crash in your room,” Woohyun says tiredly. “Did you not hear me? I said I went to sleep on the couch when Sungjong saw me so he offers me to sleep in his room. If you saw me, you might do the same so I can sleep in your room and not Sungjong’s,”

 

“But…”

 

“Enough, Howon.” The ever so silent Sunggyu finally stop the ridiculous exchanges. “Just cut it out,”

 

“But hyung…”

 

“Enough. Eat your food,” Sunggyu orders and the young men at the table quickly eating and finishing their breakfast. Woohyun smile plainly at Sunggyu as the oldest look at him with an unreadable expression on his face.

 

Woohyun is doing the dishes when Sunggyu walk up to him and stand beside him. Without another word, Sunggyu pick up the freshly done dishes and he dries them up with a clean towel.

 

“Why did you go out of the room last night?” Sunggyu asks.

 

Woohyun sighs. He thought the subject had stop the second Sunggyu asks Howon to drop them. But apparently Sunggyu himself didn’t seem satisfied enough with his explanation that he came to confront him about it in the pretence of helping him when he was supposed to go play with the youngsters.

 

“It was freezing cold in the room last night, hyung. How many times do I have to say?”

 

“But you didn’t have to get out of the room.” Yeah. Sunggyu didn’t understand why Woohyun feel the need to walk out of their shared bedroom. He can just wear his sweater and layers of blankets to make himself warm.

 

“Because I was so cold and my boyfriend didn’t care if I died freezing. He just asks me to put on my sweater and more blankets but I know it won’t be enough for me so I left to search for a warmer place,” Woohyun says, a hint of frustration in his voice. 

 

Sunggyu’s hand stops moving. It was his fault. It was his fault? Woohyun had cry about the cold last night but he just brush him off. Because he was so sleepy and he didn’t want to deal with Woohyun’s childish whining. He was not only shrugged Woohyun off of him when the younger want to hug him, but he dare to give stupid suggestion? He knows Woohyun prone to get sick in chilly air. He wants to hug him to seek warmth from his lover. Well, even though it’s not cold, it’s not wrong to hug your lover to sleep right? I mean, when was the last time Sunggyu get to sleep in the same bed with Woohyun?

 

Sunggyu wants to kick himself. How can he be so heartless? Woohyun need him but he push him away.

 

Sunggyu put away the last dishes he dries off. He turns off the faucet, surprising Woohyun. He grabs Woohyun’s hand and pulls the smaller into his arms. A hand wrap around his waist and a hand brushing his hair.

 

“I’m sorry. I’m really sorry, Woohyunie. I was so insensitive last night. I’m sorry. Please forgive me,” Sunggyu whispers in his ears.

 

Woohyun lift his arms to circle around Sunggyu’s waist as he buried his face into Sunggyu’s shoulder blade. Yeah. Sunggyu feels warm, even warmer than Sungjong. He wants to cries but he knows Sunggyu would be upset with him again. So he tries very hard to hold in his tears and just bask in Sunggyu’s love as the older pulls him tighter in his arms.

 

------------

 

The boys are playing at the lake. Sunggyu take the boys to venture around the lake with the small boat his older cousin had. There’s a swan boat too but only Dongwoo wants to ride them so he swear he will do so after they’d done with the boat. 

 

Only Woohyun and Myungsoo are not riding the boat with the others. Myungsoo wants to take a walk at the hill and Woohyun offer to go with him. So the two childhood friend walks under the trees with the sound of chirping birds in their background. Myungsoo taking photos after photos as Woohyun looks around and waits for him.

 

“Wow, hyung. What kind of bird is that? This is the first time I see them,” Myungsoo says excitedly. “I bet you I can open my own exhibition. This so fantastic.”

 

Woohyun smiles as he left Myungsoo with his camera. Something caught his eyes and he move his feet to walk closer to the tree.

 

“Hello there,” Woohyun greets a squirrel on the branch.

 

He knows that squirrel. It’s Woohyunie Squirrel. It sits on the branch with its back on the tree trunk, looking bored and tired. But the moment it saw Woohyun, it straightens its body and just watch the human Woohyun looking at him.

 

“So…you’re alone too huh? Where’s Gyugyu Squirrel?”

 

Woohyunie Squirrel slump its body back on the trunk, frustrated with the question ask.

 

“Why? What’s wrong? Did you guys get into a fight?”

 

Woohyunie Squirrel turns around, his back on Woohyun, as if he refused to hear Woohyun talk about its friend.

 

“Woohyunie Sq…”

 

“Hyung, are you talking to yourself?”

 

Startled, Woohyun turns around just in time to see Myungsoo’s face just an inch from him.

 

“You surprise me, Myungsoo,” he says, palm on his chest.

 

“You did too.” Myungsoo looks around before he looks at Woohyun back. “Who are you talking to?”

 

Woohyun lift up his head to look at the lone squirrel. Myungsoo followed his eyes. Woohyunie Squirrel turns his head to glance at the humans below.

 

“Wow, a squirrel.” Myungsoo quickly lift up his camera and a photo taken. He lowered his camera slowly. “But why did he look so sad, hyung?”

 

“Sad?” Woohyun look at Myungsoo slightly then at the squirrel. “So you guys did have a fight, huh? That’s why you’re alone. That’s why you look sad,”

 

“Huh? What are you talking about, Woohyun hyung?” Myungsoo look at the older. “Are you talking to the squirrel?”

 

Woohyun shakes his head, refused to explain to Myungsoo. “Let’s go.”

 

Woohyun move his feet as Myungsoo quickly follow after him. Woohyunie Squirrel just looks at the retrieving humans, feeling sadder to be left alone again. Not long after that, Gyugyu Squirrel runs up to it and throw its short arms around Woohyunie Squirrel, making the Woohyunie Squirrel smiles again.

 

-------------

 

It’s silent in the bedroom that night. Both Sunggyu and Woohyun change their clothes quietly. The air feels awkward and chilly. Sunggyu didn’t know what to say, remembering he was being a jerk the night before. Even though he had apologized in the morning and all seems well between them, it still feel…stiff.

 

It was always like this every time they got into a fight. It will be a little too quiet until one of them starts talking first. Usually, it was Woohyun because he can’t stand the awkwardness between them and he work like a charm to make Sunggyu smiles again.

 

But tonight, Woohyun didn’t voice a word. He was quiet since he came back from the hill with Myungsoo. Sungyeol jokes that it was not Woohyun, the real Woohyun had swap with a hill spirit to haunt them. It makes Dongwoo shudder in fright and runs to the house, forgetting about his swan boat. Like yesterday, Woohyun spend his time in the kitchen or just sitting on the pool chair watching the others play in the water.

 

“We’re going back tomorrow. Time flies so fast,” Sunggyu says, can’t stand the silence any longer. He had lies on the bed with Woohyun beside him, both on their back, facing the ceiling.

 

“Hurm…” Woohyun replies, pulling the blanket to his chest.

 

Sunggyu turns his head to Woohyun. “Are you cold?”

 

Woohyun keep still for a moment, feeling the air. “It’s cold but not as cold as the night before,”

 

“That’s good then…” Sunggyu turns his head to the ceiling again. He doesn’t know what to say anymore but it was too awkward to just shut his eyes.

 

Sunggyu was startled when he feels Woohyun’s arm around his torso. He looks at the younger, already with his eyes close and his face buried in his shoulder.

 

“Good night, Sunggyu hyung,” he whispers.

 

Sunggyu smiles. He lowered his lips and kiss Woohyun’s crown head. “Night, Woohyunie. Sweet dream.” Then he shut his eyes, trying to find sleep.

 

It’s not as cold as the first night. But Woohyun feels warm hugging his Sunggyu hyung to sleep, even though Sunggyu didn’t hug him back and still like a log.

 

-------------------------------

 

How is it?

Is it bad?

Please leave some comment.