Chapter 4

Still I Remember

 

“You’re early,” Sungyeol says as he rubs the sleepiness from his eyes.

 

“Oh, Sungyeol. Why are you up so early?” Woohyun asks, lifting his head from whatever he is doing.

 

“Toilet,” he replies shortly. “What about you? What are you doing?” He looks at the dishes full on the table. There are gimbab, fruits, sandwiches, chicken, rolled omelette, lunch boxes and canned drinks. “Are you going on a picnic?”

 

“Eung!” Woohyun smiles happily. “Sunggyu hyung and I want to go to Han River. So I’m preparing foods to bring with me,”

 

“Good for you,” Sungyeol says, now sleepiness gone. “What about us?”

 

“I left some for you, of course.”

 

Sungyeol grins, showing his gum. This is why he loves his best friend. No matter what the plans for the day, he won’t forget his housemates. They can always order take out, sure. But he had enough outside foods on weekdays. So on weekend, he prefer to eats home cooked meal. And who can cook better between the three of them? Obviously not him.

 

“Sungjong won’t come today either?”

 

Sungyeol shakes his head. “He had group project to do. If you have prepared his share, I can send them over.”

 

Woohyun’s hands stop moving, thinking. “I don’t think I have enough for his friends,”

 

“Who said you have to give his friends? Just make one lunch box and chicken for Sungjong, that’s more than enough.”

 

Woohyun tsk. “That won’t do. It will be cruel to give Sungjong something to eat but his roommates just watching,”

 

“Then, don’t give any. That kid can have canteen meal,” Sungyeol suggest.

 

“You’re an inconsiderate hyung,”

 

“And you care too much. People will think he is your dongsaeng and not mine,” Sungyeol tease as he turns around and left the kitchen.

 

“Sungjong won’t like that…”

 

It was mean as a whisper, but Sungyeol heard him enough and clear in the quiet godly hour. He smirk, knowing full well Sungjong definitely will hate the idea if he was born as Nam Woohyun’s little brother.

 

----------

 

A track field stood in the middle of the university dorm. There are three buildings making a U shape surrounding the field; boys’ dorm on the right, girls’ dorm on the left and canteen in the middle of the dorms. The opposite of the canteen, on the open of the U shape is a parking lot mainly for visitors. University students usually do a study group outside of the field, closer to the parking lot because there are tables and gazebos for group discussion. There are near the canteen too but those would be full and too noisy and too close to a source of food. It’s hard to concentrate when you can smell delicious cooked food all the time.

 

Sungjong and his two friends are walking from their dorm to the parking lot. The girls in their group already book a table and waiting for the princes charming to arrive. When the parking lot comes into view, Sungjong saw a sight of a car exactly like Woohyun’s. He quickens his step, leaving his friends puzzled and following his pace.

 

“Yah, Lee Sungjong!” one of the friend calls when Sungjong went straight to the car rather than the table where the girls at.

 

Woohyun open the car door and get out, smiling his greasy smile at the coming student.

 

“Woohyun hyung,” Sungjong greet.

 

“Hey.” Woohyun side hug him, patting his shoulder.

 

“Why are you here, hyung? Did you wait long? Why you didn’t call me you’re coming?” Sungjong asks, pulling away from the hug.

 

Woohyun laugh. “I came to see you. No, I didn’t wait long, I just arrived. I was just about to call you when I saw you.”

 

Sungjong sighs, relived. His friends come closer, the girls just watching from their table, wondering who the handsome man with the suv car that Sungjong talk to.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo,” one of the boys greet, bowing his head. “I am Son Youngtaek, but you can call me, Tag, hyung-nim.” He looks at Sungjong then back to Woohyun. “Are you Sungjong’s hyung?”

 

“What, no. He is not,” Sungjong answer instead while Woohyun chuckles.

 

“Annyeong. Thank you for taking care of our Sungjongie. I am Woohyun hyung, Sungjong’s hyung’s friend,”

 

“Sungjong’s hyung’s friend …” Youngtaek turns to the other friend. They look like they’re talking with their eyes. Woohyun and Sungjong look at each other, puzzled.

 

“Are you the annoying friend of my hyung?” the other boy asks.

 

“Yah!” Sungjong shout at him, alarmed.

 

Youngtaek quickly hit the friend on his rib.

 

Woohyun widen his eyes, then he chuckles. “Annoying friend of my hyung? That’s what you think of me, Sungjongie? I’m hurt,” Woohyun says, putting his hand on his chest, faking a hurt expression.

 

“No. No. I didn’t say that,” Sungjong quickly clarified.

 

“Yeah. Sungjong didn’t mention his name. But this is the first time we meet Sungjong’s older friend and we never meet his hyung either. If you’re not his hyung, you must be the…”

 

Youngtaek clamp the friend’s mouth with his palm. “Hehe. Sorry, hyung-nim. Please don’t mind him. He just talks nonsense. Please excuse us, hyung-nim. It’s nice meeting you.” Youngtaek bowed his head, forcing the boy he still shut his mouth with to bow with him. And then he pulls the boy away from the car toward the table where the girls are still watching.

 

“Please forget him, Woohyun hyung,” Sungjong plead.

 

Woohyun chuckles again. “So I am the annoying friend of your hyung eh?”

 

“Hyung…” Sungjong whine.

 

No. No. What should he do? It’s his fault to blabber nonsense to his friends. And it’s his fault too to runs to Woohyun as soon as he saw him without making instruction to his friends to not coming with him. What if Woohyun hyung take this to his heart? What if Woohyun hyung sulking and choose to ignore him?

 

Sungjong lift his head when he feels Woohyun’s hand patting his head. The older boy smiles sincerely at him.

 

“Even though I am annoying, you still like me, right?”

 

Sungjong’s smiles found his lips again. He forgot this is Nam Woohyun, a hyung who never take teasing to his heart, a hyung who still like him like his own little brother, a hyung who will never get angry at him. A hyung with a big heart, as big as his smiles.

 

“Yeah. I like you better than Sungyeol hyung.”

 

He chuckles again. “Sungyeol won’t like that if he heard you.”

 

Sungjong put a finger to his lips. “Shh…you don’t have to tell him.”

 

Again, a chuckle could be heard. “Ah…actually, this annoying friend of your hyung came to give you this…” He went to the boot of the car.

 

Sungjong followed, whining. “Hyung…”

 

Woohyun open the boot to shows a picnic basket.

 

“Huh? What is these, hyung?”

 

“Foods, and drinks. I was supposed to go for a picnic but it was cancelled. So I came to give these to you.” Woohyun rubs his hair. “Sorry. It would look like I give the unwanted food to you when I didn’t prepare one for you from the start,”

 

“Picnic?” Sungjong feels his heart drummed against his chest. He doesn’t need to ask who Woohyun plan the picnic with and why it was cancelled. Because one look to his face is enough answer to his silent question. “What did you make, hyung?”

 

Woohyun tilted his head. “Any dish suitable for a picnic. You’re doing group project, right? You can share them with your friends. Ah, but there are only two lunch boxes. But you can still share.”

 

Sungjong look at the basket. The brown rectangular basket full with Woohyun hyung’s home cooked meals. Beside the basket is a cooler bag he knows filled with canned sodas and soju and maybe beers. In the deep inside of the boot are a picnic mat and an inflatable mat. Woohyun came fully prepared, and that person dares to cancel on him?

 

How worse can he be?

 

“Wait a minute, hyung.” Without waiting for a replies, Sungjong turns around and went to the table where his friends pretending not to watch them.

 

Woohyun watch the younger talk with his friends, taking out something from his bag and then come back to his side.

 

“Is everything okay?” Woohyun asks.

 

“Everything’s fine,” he says as he close the boot and pulls on Woohyun’s arm to the driver seat.

 

“What? Yah, Sungjong,” Woohyun calls, puzzled.

 

Sungjong help the older to his seat, putting on his seatbelt for him and close the door. Sungjong then went to the passenger’s seat. “Let’s go, hyung,” he says as he put a seatbelt himself.

 

“Where? What about the food?”

 

“Picnic. We shouldn’t waste the food, hyung,”

 

“What? But…” Woohyun looks at Sungjong’s friends. The students still look at them. “What about your group project?”

 

“I’ve done my part. It’s just to combine them. They will be fine without me as long as I gave them the part. And I’m not the group leader. So it will be fine,”

 

“Aish, you.” Woohyun shakes his head. “Still, you shouldn’t left your group just like that,”

 

“It’s okay, hyung. They understand and they’re fine with it. Now, come on, let’s go hyung. I want to ride a bicycle at Yeouido. And I want to eat hyung’s rolled omelette watching Han River,” Sungjong says excitedly.

 

Woohyun laugh, easily give in. He slides the gear and pulls out from the parking lot, not before honking to the table and wave at them. Sungjong and his friends exchange wave as Woohyun’s car drove pass the university dorm.

 

----------

 

“You’re late. I just thought you’re sleeping over…” Sungyeol’s words die on his lips as soon as he lifts his head. “Yah, what’s wrong? Why are you with Woohyun?”

 

Sungyeol quickly jump to his feet and runs to the entrance. Sungjong knows the passcode to the apartment, being the fourth housemate informally. He had carry Woohyun on his back as he punch in the code and step inside the door when his brother greets him.

 

“Sorry, hyung. Can you take care of this?”

 

Sungjong went to Woohyun’s room, leaving Sungyeol taking care of another man at the door that he just realizes standing there with Woohyun’s basket and cooler bag. The man, he assumed as a man of chauffer services gives the basket and the bag to him.

 

“Sorry for the trouble, and thank you.” Sungyeol says, taking the items. “How much?”

 

“Ah, no. It’s already been paid. I just help to take these things. The kid said it will smell if left in the car overnight,”

 

“Ahh…thank you so much, sir.” Sungyeol says, bowing his head. The man bowed too and then walks away.

 

Sungyeol is at the dining table, taking out the containers from the basket when Sungjong and Myungsoo come to him.

 

“How much did he drink?” Myungsoo asks.

 

Sungjong shrugged. “Just a bottle actually.”

 

Sungyeol frowns as he s the cooler bag. And sure enough, there are plenty of soju and beers left.

 

“Hyung is not drunk. He was just…sad. And I just let him sleep,” Sungjong says.

 

“Sad?” Myungsoo and Sungyeol exchange look. “Why?”

 

“And why did you come with Woohyun?”

 

“I was with him since morning,”

 

“What?” Sungyeol and Myungsoo both shout.

 

“But why?” Myungsoo asks.

 

“Shouldn’t he go to picnic with Sunggyu hyung?”

 

“What do you think?” Sungjong replies through gritted teeth. “I’m sleeping over. You have to send me tomorrow, I have an early class.” He turns around and walks to Woohyun’s room to check on him.

 

“Do you think…Sunggyu hyung cancel on him again?” Myungsoo whispers.

 

Sungyeol didn’t replies. He just looks bitterly at the containers in the basket. He woke up that morning watching Woohyun work to prepare the dishes. The containers all clean with no leftover, thankfully. He sure his little brother eat everything Woohyun brought over. But the foods originally make for someone else. Woohyun was so happy that morning. He can’t imagine how crushed Woohyun felt, to have that someone stood up on him, again.

 

-------------------------

 

How is it?

Is it bad?

Please leave some comment.

 

It starts to get boring, right? Hehe. Sorry.