Selfish, Childish, Immature... Love?

Solarium
Please log in to read the full chapter

Moonbyul read the scrap of paper splayed in her palm with intense scrutiny. The writings are, "Look behind the trash can of the first common plant filled with sunlight."

 

The first sunlight of the day means it should be in the morning. The first common plant, public places? Now where is this public place and which one is it?

 

A flick of recognition clicked as she rushed to the north wing, running along the pedestal to reach the café with the tastiest corndog of Jeonju.

 

--

Did you find it?

 

“Yes, it’s in my hand now.” Her focus was solely strapped on the brown envelope, ignoring the grimy hands after digging behind the trash cart in the alleyway behind the café. “Although I didn’t really get why we have to go Nancy Drew on this now.”

 

My apologies, Moonbyul-nim. We cannot risk it. The attention is getting worse. There was an uproar. Those higher-ups who usually reserve Noonim’s for her… services… demand for her or they will withdraw all the ongoing investment.

 

With the word "services" on her jaw tightening and judging from the slight stutter, Kyung must have shared the same sentiment.

 

“But are you sure with this destination? As far as I know the brat who’s chasing after Hyejin and all the gangs are there.”

 

Exactly why. Sajangnim wouldn’t expect us to transport noonim to the tiger’s lair. At least for now. We have our own card to play Moonbyul-nim, so don’t worry. Your job is only to keep moving.

 

“Leave it to me. Now, take care of yourself.”

 

Will do, Moonbyul-nim. Wish you all the best of luck!

 

Kyung put the telephone away as his eyes observed the total silence in the room. Eighteen people inside didn’t mutter a word as their ears caught the sound of increasing noise from sajangnim’s room.

 

It was followed by a gunshot.

 

“Quick!” Right after the shout, one of the men barged in and dragged out one of their men, now covered in blood with a hole in their chest. Quickly shutting the door, he was brought to the medical bay to get further treatment on the gunshot wound.

 

“Duck!”

 

All the men crawled under the office desks as a barrage of bullets rained from the same room, littering the door with tiny holes. It ends as quickly as it began and for a long time, no one dares to show themselves, bracing for deferred shots.

 

“He’s at it again.”

 

“Hyung, are you alright?”

 

Kyung grunts. “I’m fine. Just wait here until he’s done with whatever he’s up to right now.”

 

--

 

The crowd at the airport never really died down. People were moving back and forth minding their own business. No one really pays attention to a pair sitting at the corner of the waiting room. Pulling the hoodie closer to cover her eyes, she sneaks a peek at the other girl, laying her head on the top of her shoulder and snoring softly. Reaching out to put a black hat on the top of her head, Moonbyul became flustered when realizing it was the movement that makes her companion awake. “Hm? Is it time to go now?”

 

“I’m sorry.” It came straight out of . “It’s all too sudden, you didn’t even have time to put on the leg properly… Is it still swollen?”

 

“Just a bit, but nothing a lotion can’t fix.” She frowns in an attempt to chase away the wooziness. She takes a look at the passport that has been forged by the boys and put together with the plane ticket, the crease in her brow becoming more apparent as she identifies the destination country.

 

 

AMA AIRLINES

ECONOMY CLASS

FLIGHT           XX 2489

FROM              BUSAN / GIMHAE

TO                   TOKYO / NRT

 

“I remembered that you have to move to that house because of some Japanese gang, and now we escape there?”

 

“I trust Kyung and the boys though.” Hyejin answered absentmindedly, slipping the ticket back inside the passport. “But about that gang, don’t trust the boys. It isn’t that grave actually.” She yawns. “They were always too much when it comes to my safety, so I can’t really say anything about it.”

 

“But—”

 

“Never mind that.” Hyejin yawns even louder and quickly puts her head on Moonbyul’s shoulder, this time snuggling closer. “There’s still an hour before the departure time. Let me catch some sleep.”

 

There is no direct route from Jeonju to Japan. As soon as Moonbyul got the message, she ran to the motel, woke Hyejin from her slumber (that girl really slept everywhere), rushed to the train station, taking two stops and another bus straight to Gimhae International Airport, which is located in Busan. Moonbyul totally agrees that Hyejin deserves a short nap.

 

But as Hyejin nuzzles and rests her head even closer, to the point where Moonbyul can count the number of lashes fluttering  in the slowest motion, she wonders if there’s any chance to retract it back. She suddenly went stiff before looking down at a neck-snapping reflex. A tanned hand smoothly slides inside, entwining itself with Moonbyul’s pale ones to give it a good grip, along with a good case of a mini heart attack.

 

Looking helplessly at two hands now intertwining on her thigh, all kinds of thoughts went fervently.

 

This is her friend. Her high school friend whom she met after a while. This weird touchy-feely is just her style of showing affection. A girly affection. Girl Besties. BFF. Yup. And this is their holiday, which is totally normal! Of course. This is simply a holiday trip with a friend she reconnects with after years. That’s the premise she’s going with. Everything’s peachy.

 

But that doesn’t stop Moonbyul from ceaseing her state of Roman statue stiffness for some time, didn’t dare to budge or look to the side to acknowledge that their faces were getting even closer upon contact. Hyejin’s body, which naturally emanates warmth, still didn’t lose any of it even after morning. Cuddling inside that warm place must be really nice—

 

Okay. She should wake her up and ask her to sleep during the flight instead. Right. Why did she not think of that in the first place?

 

Moonbyul opens before the voice of the announcer cuts, addressing the departure.

 

--

Stretching her entire body and cracking her knuckles, Hyejin rises into a satisfied grin. “That was the best nap I've ever had in a long time. Didn’t you think so, Byulyi?” She turned around to face Moonbyul, who by now was trapped in a dazed, intoxicated-like state. “Byulyi!”

 

“Huh? Oh, yes. Yes, I will have a good sleep.” Supposed to be. It’s supposed to be a good night's sleep if not for the other girl to keep snuggling at her, nudging closer, and as if it wasn’t enough, she lifts the armrest and moves even closer, snaking her arms around Moonbyul’s waist before covering themselves under the blanket provided by the airline. She didn’t expect Hyejin to be such a cuddler.

 

In short, it was the longest one hour and fifty-three minutes she had ever experienced. Is it? It is. The way her lashes fluttered, the flowery scent as accidentally kissed her hair during slight turbulences (happened for quite a few times), the warmth that she didn’t want to be away from for a long while—

 

“Byulyi!”

 

Moonbyul’s eyes becoming as wide as saucers as she regards Hyejin, whom by then had already crossed her arms in a reprimanding manner. “I said, should we try looking for an inn now? It is quite late.” She shook her head and clicked her tongue. “You seem to be out of it since we got on the plane. What is it?”

 

Moonbyul waved her hands dismissively, a little too quick to her liking. “No, nothing! I guess I just need a little rest. Let’s just go, shall we? I’ll try to find the closest inn, maybe we can wait at the bus stop.”

 

Hyejin let out a light, airy laugh before putting out her hand and grasping Moonbyul’s palm, seemingly unaware of the latter’s muffled squeal. No one knows whether she noticed Moonbyul, who was already looking at their conjoined hands with slackened jaw as she pulled her forward with larger steps. “C’mon then! We might be able to catch a bus quicker!”

 

--

 

It was late at night and nothing was in sight. Not even cars, which were already naturally scarce to be found in this country, are even less so when it is late. Moonbyul kept looking at her sneakers while swinging her steps forward, unsure when to start a conversation. “So—” They start at the same time, looking at each other. Moonbyul quickly turned somewhere else. A chuckle can be heard. “You first.”

 

“I’m sorry. I forgot it’s too late for any bus to operate. Now, we have to walk to the nearest inn.” She raised one brow upon realizing the grip on her hand got tighter. Hyejin… scowled at her? “Why are you keep saying sorry for doing nothing you should be sorry about?” Hyejin really didn’t get it. The girl has been acting weirdly since this morning, but you didn’t hear it from her. “Besides, I get to walk with you…”

 

“Huh?”

 

“This leg is really convenient, though.” Hyejin deflected, a little bit stuttered this time. “I didn’t use it for years but it works in all the right places. That grandpa really is something else.”

 

“The maker’s an old man?”

 

“A grumpy one. But you’ll like him immediately. He must still be in Japan, I’m not sure though.”

 

“Sounds like a cool guy already.” Moonbyul beamed. This walk is near the river, with nothing else in sight. A place where they don’t have to answer to someone else. A place where they don’t have to prove anything to anyone. They can just walk side-by-side, bant

Please log in to read the full chapter