Time Heals All Wounds

Solarium
Please log in to read the full chapter

“That’s right, Hyejin-sshi, try to get used to the shape and what it looks like.”

 

 

Her hands are continuously rubbing the bandaged stump, or what remains of what was once her right leg. It was the weirdest feeling ever, but a sudden jolt almost caused her to cry in pain. That splitting feeling again. It is an attempt to make sure she gets used to feeling this as part of her body as a whole, but the handling can be excruciating at times.

 

 

The explanation came about in the nature of phantom pain, and how it can range from months to even years for some people to feel as if part of their body is still there. After ensuring the team is dispatched in case Hyejin is still not comfortable enough with the whole process, there is not much to say as she left the VIP room with a click.

 

Finally being left with some privacy, she seizes the opportunity by exercising on the bed, putting a pillow on her knee and starts lifting it over and over in order to move the joints and putting less pressure on her other parts of the body. If she didn’t get any better at pain control, what awaits will be a lifetime of her leg splitting over and over.

 

She may have promised, but that will not let emptiness overcome her.

 

Realizing that her stump is getting bigger as it swells, Hyejin takes it as a sign to wrap it up, putting the pillow back on her head and covering herself with a blanket from head to toe.

 

--

 

“Do not let your leg hang down on the edge of the bed like this, Hyejin-shi. It will make it even more painful, and the swelling will get even worse.”

 

The nurse is nice enough to explain in detail and address every question attentively. The pain Hyejin experienced recently didn’t miss her either.

 

“It’s a phantom limb pain. A feeling as if the body part is still there. Some need medications, but at this stage, since it’s too early to decide, we will have to see.”

 

Transferring Hyejin from the bed onto the wheelchair proves not to be an arduous task, and the nurse proves herself to be nice once again as she fills Hyejin in on where they were going. “We have arrived.”

 

The light is almost dim as the room is wide and filled with various equipment for therapy. A physiotherapist took it from there and let her go to the gist of it.

 

Any technicalities on how to utilize the wheelchair, including the stump board.

 

How to use the toilet.

 

How to rise again in case she fell to the floor.

 

How the compression socks will help ease the occasional swell that will occur later.

 

It was all fundamental to her life after this but everything just passed her by. It's a little bit difficult to take things seriously if you were to be confined for life.

 

But Hyejin has always been a student who goes by the book.

 

She attends therapy diligently, heeding all the advice, exercising in bed and lifting her leg several times before it all becomes too exhausting. Soon, everyone warmed up to her. Something that she never got used to as they see her as this quiet girl that listens to every instructions and didn’t mind spending time listening to the kids blabbering about their day and giving them candies. Yes, the kids are as well, losing parts of their body due to various reasons. How a smile can still carve their face at the sight of candy she will never understand.

 

A month has passed as her eyes check on what transpires in front of her; one of the patients braving steps on his first day of trying the prosthetic leg that had been created that day. With a frown marring across his face she could just tell it wouldn’t be an easy feat for a first-timer. He has to be brave and swallow it up just like everyone else, thriving through the struggle.

 

Suddenly her mind turned to the question asked by one of the kids the other day.

 

“I will have a new leg, noona.”

 

Hyejin rub the kid’s cheek gently. “That’s nice. When?”

 

“The day after tomorrow. Mommy said I have to try it on and get used to it quickly to see whether it will fit me or not.” He frowned in such a cute way that never fail to make Hyejin gush over him. “You have to be there to see it okay?”

 

“Will do.” But the kid is pushing her into the pinkie promise so she gladly obliges.

 

“Where’s your new leg, noona?”

 

It was a bit of a rude awakening that she expected but not quite sure how to feel about it.

 

That man, despite the promise, will always cling to his nature as a sick and twisted mind. Thus leaving her confined to a wheelchair and crutches and disabling any chance of getting a prosthesis. She will have to live her life incomplete, devoid of a body part that he had stolen.

 

It was numbin

Please log in to read the full chapter