worth it

Butterfly Effect

“Nah, I’m good.”

Siyeon swore she regretted saying that as a response to Jina’s offer for a lunch out. Because when the bells rang as a sign that someone entered the café, she saw the person she least wanted to see the most.

“What are you doing here?” Siyeon put down the tray with empty plates and cups on it, the tan male stood in front of her let out a chuckle.

“Why are you here?” Jongin asked her back and tried to approach her but she moved backward, “You aren’t supposed to be here,” Siyeon shook her head and took the tray to behind the counter. There weren’t a lot of customers so they could talk but she didn’t want to.

“Yeah, and you were supposed to living next door to me in Seoul.” Jongin’s word cut through her heart, she wouldn’t have a hard time meeting him if it wasn’t because of what happened three years ago.

-----

Ahn Siyeon met Kim Jongin in the first year of high school, she just moved from Daegu because her father got a teaching job at SNU. Seoul wasn’t a stranger to her but she didn’t know much about the city. It was way different from Daegu, it took her a week to understand how to get to Itaewon from her neighborhood.

“Hey, it looks like this seat is empty.” Siyeon looked up and saw Jongin pointing at the empty seat next to her. It was the first day of school and everyone was still trying to get to know each other.

“Oh yeah, you don’t mind?” she asked him back as he sat down, he furrowed his brows as he put down his bag. “What do you mean? The back seat, last row, near the window. This is the best spot, so yeah I don’t mind.” Jongin answered her. Siyeon laughed a little at his answer. It was quite unusual for a boy to just sit right next to a stranger girl that he never met before without hesitation.

“You’re not here with a friend or something?” Siyeon asked him as she looked around but no one seemed to know him.

“Nah, I just moved here from Gwangju. My dad got a new job at this university so yeah…. How about you?” Jongin asked her back, “Oh, me too. Just moved from Daegu because my dad got a job at SNU so the whole family moved, hey which university your dad got a new job in?” Siyeon was curious because he mentioned the same thing. “Oh, my dad also starts to teach in SNU too! Which department is your dad in?” Jongin excitedly asked her and wanted to be friends with her.

“Economy,”

“You’re kidding right?”

Siyeon shook her head, “No, why?” Jongin smiled at her and said, “My dad also teaches in the same department, I’m Kim Jongin and you?” Jongin stretched out his hand to her.

Siyeon looked at his hand and then shook hands with him, “Ahn Siyeon, nice to meet you.” she smiled at him and they’ve become friends since then. Not only their dad taught in the same department but their houses were close too. He lived a block away from her so they went to school and went back home together. Jongin had two older sisters who were six and eight years apart meanwhile Siyeon is an only child. She only lived with her father because her mother passed away from cancer when she was twelve while Jongin still has his full family with him at that time.

Both enjoyed the same music taste and movies although sometimes Siyeon would prefer action movies while he prefers horror movies. They became so close that SIyeon never realizes her feelings towards him. Along the way, Siyeon met Jina while Jongin met Kyungsoo. The four of them were quite close although SIyeon and Jongin still the closest among them. Jongin would annoy her to go out with him when he’s bored even at night.

“Gosh, I swear I will kill you if you ask me to go see that horror movie like the last time.” Siyeon groaned as she made her way towards him, he was waiting for her while also throwing rocks to her window so she would agree to go with him.

Jongin laughed, “Nah, I don’t want you to cling on to me until we got home and asked me to stay up all night to accompany you until you fell asleep. Nope, not going to do that again.” Jongin shook his head but Siyeon still threw him her suspicious stare.

“So next Monday would be Valentine’s Day and since you’re a girl legally, aw—” Siyeon hit him and he groaned while rubbing his arm where she hit him.

“So what? You want me to help you rehearse to confess or something?” Siyeon asked him randomly and somehow, she managed to guess it right.

“Yeah…. You don’t mind?” he scratched his neck and she looked at him for a while before shrugged, “You owe me a whole week of ddukbogi though.” she pointed at him and he eagerly nodded at her offering.

So, the whole ‘Siyeon is his wingmate’ series started at that particular February 10th on their second year in high school. But she still hasn’t realized her feelings towards him yet and when she did, it was way too late.

-----

It was the senior prom and they were talking about who the four of them were talking about who they’re taking or going with.

“Nah, I’m not going….” Jina murmured as she just played with her fried rice, “What? Why?” Siyeon quickly asked her as Kyungsoo and Jongin threw her worried look.

“No, I just have a better offer than prom. My grandparents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary so they’re taking all of us to Onna Village in Okinawa. So…. Yeah, prom is nothing compared to that. Sorry,” Jina shrugged and the other three threw her some nasty looks.

“Yeah right, who am I supposed to go with then?” Siyeon complained as she finished her lunch, “Yeah, I’m taking Yeri to the Prom. Sorry,” Jongin apologized but she just nodded it off. “You can go with me, I’m not going to bite you or something. But can’t promise you a prom experience though,” Kyungsoo offered Siyeon. “Fine, I just want to dress up for once anyway.” Siyeon nodded to his offer,  more like seeing you in a tuxedo.

“Okay, then I’ll see you guys at the wedding. Don’t forget to bring souvenirs,” Jongin pointed at Jina who raised her hands acknowledging his request.

Jongin was dating Yeri, a cute pianist from the school’s orchestra. They got closer during a group project and somehow things turned out great for them. Siyeon was happy because Yeri was a sweet girl and none of them heard anything suspicious about her. Yeri wasn’t close with Siyeon and the others but she would greet them whenever they meet and not your typical clingy girlfriend because she would prefer having lunch with her friends.

“Wow, are you sure you really just want to dress up not trying to attract some of half dozens of the athletes in our school?” Kyungsoo commented as soon as Siyeon walked down the stairs. He was waiting in the living room with her dad, “My baby girl has grown up,” her dad stood up and approached her. SIyeon just smiled as he hugged her, “Your mom would be proud,” Siyeon smiled hearing him talking about her mother.

“We’ll be back before the curfew, sir.” Kyungsoo said but the older male shook his head, “Go have all the fun you could have. Exams will be hell so might as well as used it wisely,” they laughed together at her father’s witty remarks.

“We’ll have fun, don’t wait up for me.” Siyeon said as they were leaving, “Nah, I got two hundred papers to grade plus five theses to revised. I’ll probably still up when you’re home but don’t be so confident that I’m waiting for you.” as usual her dad always managed to crack jokes at any time.

“Bye, dad.”

“Bye, have fun!”

Kyungsoo’s driver dropped them off in front of the building just like anyone else and then left, “Seriously, were you this tall?” Siyeon threw him a look when he walked by her side.

“What do you mean?” Kyungsoo asked her back as they waited in line to enter the big gym that turned into a prom venue by the prom committee.

“I’m sure you used to be shorter than me or is it because you always stand right next to Jongin?” Siyeon thought about her height difference with him, “Lady, you are shorter than me. Admit it,” Kyungsoo threw her a weird look as he wrote down their name on the guestlist book.

Siyeon just shrugged it off and then entered the gym after one of the committees explained where the foods and seating area for them.

“Wow, you were not kidding when you said you want to dress up.” Jongin commented when he and Yeri walked towards SIyeon and Kyungsoo, “Oh my gosh, that’s a beautiful dress!” Yeri exclaimed and SIyeon smiled, the latter was shorter than her so it was like having a younger sister complimenting her look.

“Thank you, yours is beautiful too.” Siyeon smiled, “When did you arrive?” Kyungsoo asked Jongin ad the two guys engaged in a conversation.

“Where is Jina? I haven’t seen her yet,” Yeri looked around and Siyeon shook her head, “Nah, she’s going on a trip with her family to Okinawa so she kind of ditched this.” Yeri gasped. Siyeon just shrugged, “She is something,” they both laughed.

“Are you hungry yet?” Jongin asked Yeri as he put his arms around her waist and the girl shook her head in response, “I want to say hi to my friends there, you’re coming?’ Yeri asked and Jongin nodded. “See you,” Jongin smiled at both of his best friends before he went to the other side of the room to look for Yeri’s friends.

Siyeon looked at them and how everyone looked at them, they had such a beautiful relationship that there’s no way you didn’t adore them. But then she felt something she never felt before, the feeling of wanting to have it with Jongin. She’s the first one who befriended him, why can’t he looked at her the same as he looked at the other girls or at least like how she looked at him.

Damn you, feelings.

Kyungsoo looked at Siyeon who just kept silent, he looked at her and then moved to the couple in a blue tuxedo and gradient blue dress.

“Hey, you want some food?” Kyungsoo patted her shoulder and she turned around, “Huh? Yeah, fine….” Siyeon smiled and then they went to the opposite side of the room.

There’s no secret that Jongin and Yeri would win the prom king and queen, even Siyeon voted for them.  But she had this unsettling feeling about the two of them being together although she’s been nothing but supportive during these three years. Jongin has four exes already and she was always there, being a supportive friend during his early relationships and after he broke up a couple of times.

“You do know we don’t have to stay here until the prom’s over, we could go anywhere my chauffeur won't mind.” Kyungsoo offered her, “Nah, we do know they’ll win so might stick around until the announcement.” Siyeon declined politely and then asked him to go with her to their other circle of friends. They engaged in a lot of conversation although almost forty percent of those conversations started with asking where is Jina.

“And she thought no one would notice she’s not here,” Kyungsoo murmured as they were sitting on a table along with several a=other people, Siyeon laughed along with that statement. She was taking a sip on her soda when she saw Jongin and Yeri dancing in the middle of the room. They looked really happy, a perfect couple she might say.

And you’re just his friend, his best friend.

Siyeon didn’t know she spends how many times staring at them but she knew it was quite some time because Kyungsoo patted her shoulder as he stood up.

“Do you want to go have something to eat? I mean, I’m craving for Brooklyn the Burger Joint. You sure you’re not coming?” he offered her, she looked at him before looked at the dance floor where almost half of the students were.

“You don’t want to stay?” Siyeon asked him, don’t want to be the reason Kyungsoo missed the prom experience.

“Nah, we’ve been friends for years and you still going to ask me that?” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and SIyeon just laughed, Kyungsoo told her to wait because he was walking up to Jongin and whispered something to the male.

Jongin widened his eyes and then looked at Siyeon who was still sitting, then nodded reluctantly. Kyungsoo patted his shoulder before coming back to Siyeon and then they left the prom. Kyungsoo called their car and the black Mercedes came.

“The usual burger joint, Jae.” Kyungsoo said and the chauffeur nodded at his words, Kyungsoo leaned back and then focused on his phone. He’s not the type of person who enjoyed loud parties or crowd, he preferred curling up in front of the TV while watching some sitcoms or experimenting in the kitchen with his playlist of jazz songs.

“You like him,”

Kyungsoo suddenly said without looking at Siyeon, she looked at him and threw him a questioning look.

“What?”

“No—Wait, you love him.” Kyungsoo raised his left hand and then took his attention off his phone to look at her, Siyeon frowned and then looked away.

“Pfft….” she whistled, trying to get rid of his suspicion but it was too late because Kyungsoo just let out a chuckle.

“God, why didn’t I realize this sooner?” Kyungsoo shook his head in disbelief, “No one knows, no one should know.” Siyeon shook her head as she looked outside.

“When?” Kyungsoo asked her again to know more about this new information he just found out, “After he asked Seyoung out,” Siyeon tried to answer that in her lowest volume possible but the slow jazz in the background didn’t help to conceal her answer.

“That was four relationships ago with breakups in between, why haven’t you told him?” he asked her again, didn’t understand with Siyeon’s choice.

“Because he doesn’t love me like that and why ruin a good thing? I don’t want to make things awkward,” Siyeon shook her head at the thoughts of telling Jongin how she feels towards him.

“What’s the worst thing that could happen anyway?” Kyungsoo asked again as the car pulled up at a burger joint, Siyeon straightened her back before getting out of the car and then turned to him.

“I could die,” she raised her shoulders and Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at her words, “You know, having a feeling is not wrong. You can’t blame feelings,” he adds as he closed the car’s door and walked to the almost empty burger joint with her.

“Yes, I blame me for not realizing anything sooner and not saying anything sooner.” Siyeon said again and Kyungsoo could only exhale, he could never win an argument against her.

They entered the burger joint, it was almost 12 so it was empty, only a man with his laptop in front of the window and a couple on the other side of the room.

“Cheese Skirt burger and soda?” Siyeon nodded and headed to an empty seat while trying to settle her dress, it was weird enough for them to slip out of the prom and eat in a burger joint. It is kind of hard to settle her dress in the restaurant’s seat. Kyungsoo was still ordering when Siyeon heard her phone rang.

Jonginini

She looked at the caller’s ID and decided to let it rang until it died down by itself. The queen and king for prom might have been announced by now and he would beg them to come back.

“He called?’ Kyungsoo came to their seat and SIyeon just nodded, “And he’ll call me too, soon.” Kyungsoo fished out his phone from his pocket and he was right. After Siyeon’s phone stopped ringing, his phone started to ring with ‘Jong out’ caller ID.

“Jesus, still the in and out jokes?” Siyeon looked at the display name on his phone and the owner just laughed, “So you won’t say anything to him?” she shook her head.

“And I expect you to do the same,” he looked at her before finally nodded, “Deal,” he rolled his eyes and a few moments later their foods arrived.

-----

But no matter how great the people in a relationship were, it still won’t work if they didn’t try hard enough. Yeri was sent to Berklee by her parents to pursue her music career, both her and Jongin maintained a long-distance relationship for almost a year during the first year of college but then with all the distances and new environment they drift apart slowly before breaking up a month before their third anniversary.

Not with Siyeon, Kyungsoo, and Jina though. The four of them managed to get into the same college with two different majors in the same department, school of business at Yonsei. Jongin and Kyungsoo majored in management while Siyeon and Jina majored in accounting. They weren’t aiming to get into the same university but last-minute options somehow worked for them.

Time goes by and then they graduated a year apart, Jina and Siyeon graduated faster than the boys. The world of work was tough, they went to work for different companies but still managed to get together on their birthdays. Jongin made them all promise to always celebrate their birthdays together until they die.

“So, are you going to tell them about that girl from the café last week?”

Kyungsoo mentioned it during Jina’s 25th birthday in her apartment, “Oh, really?” Siyeon looked at Jongin who just shook his head at the attack.

“I just asked her for a date yesterday, not a big deal. Just like any other date I have,” Jongin said as he wiped his mouth with the napkin, “No, you don’t smile like a fool if it’s just like any other date,” Jina stood up to get more pasta for them from the kitchen.

“Aye,”

Kyungsoo and Siyeon raised their hands, agreed with Jina’s words. “Good luck,” Siyeon said and Jongin thanked her. Then his phone rang and he left the dining room to take it.

“Words of encouragement, seriously?’ Kyungsoo raised his brows at Siyeon who quickly kicked his legs, afraid that someone might hear it. She still hasn’t told Jina, Kyungsoo was the only one who knew about her feelings towards Jongin.

“What should I do? Told him not to go on a date, saying bad things about the girl that I don’t even know the name, or bluntly tell him my feelings and then ruin everything? No thank you, I’ve been doing a real good job hiding it for almost ten years.” Siyeon asked him while trying to keep her voice low, watching Jongin who was still on the phone.

“Yeah, and I’ve been dying to talk to someone else about this for seven years. You’re killing me,” Kyungsoo retaliated and Siyeon sighed loudly.

“I know I wasn’t supposed to know,” Jina came back with the big plate of pasta and sat next to Siyeon, “But I kind of knew about your feelings,” Jina whispered the words and Siyeon frantically looked at the birthday girl.

“What? How?” Siyeon asked her, Jina looked at Jongin who was still in the balcony to talk on the phone. “Well, remember the night after graduation when you crashed here and I told you that you were drunk?” Jina recounted that event and Siyeon thought about it for a while.

“Oh my God, I didn’t….”

“Sorry, I told you that you blabbered everything but you didn’t believe me so I never talk to anyone. BUT YOU?!”

 Jina turned to Kyunsoo who almost chokes on his meatball, “How could you?” Jina asked him while trying to lowering her volume again after Siyeon pinched her arm.

“She told me not to say to anyone, why didn’t you say anything? Jeez,” Kyungsoo wiped the corner of his mouth, “Wow, well now we know. Can’t you just please tell Jongin? Oh my God, I could die.” Jina closed her eyes while leaning back on her chair, relieved after saying it out loud.

“See?” Kyungsoo tilted his head towards Jina while looking at Siyeon to prove his points, Siyeon looked at Jongin who was still on the phone.

“After this girl,” she said and Jina sighed while Kyungsoo just continued to eat more pasta to swallow his words.

But she was wrong, there was no after. Jongin somehow managed to settle with this girl called Yang Miyeon. In three years, Siyeon caught herself with Kyungsoo and Jina clapping at his engagement with the said girl. Miyeon rarely spends time with them because she prefers a date just her and Jongin, she worked as a chef so she prefers spending her time in the kitchen or where she worked rather than hanging with them. That was weird enough but none of the three brought it up to Jongin because they don’t want to disturb his relationship with his partner being unavailable around them.

Siyeon smiled at them while sipping her drink, “Oh yeah, someone’s getting drunk tonight.” Kyungsoo muttered as he looked at Siyeon. “Stop it, let the girl drink.” Jina defended the girl who just laughed at their argument.

“I’m not driving you two back, not after that after-party I invited you two to.” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and Jina hit his arm, they always fight here and there but it managed to lift up Siyeon’s mood somehow.

“Why don’t you just tell the guy? Like, come on. It’s been, what? Nine girlfriends, one fiancée and you’re still here.” Kyungsoo turned to look at Siyeon, he was serious.

“Oh yeah Kyungsoo, telling the guy about my feelings towards him is the best engagement present anyone would ever get.” Siyeon sarcastically replied back and Kyungsoo groaned in frustration, “Seriously, you can’t take the sarcastic crown from me. You can’t,” Kyungsoo threatened her but Jina and Siyeon just laughed at him.

“Hey guys,”

Jongin approached them with Miyeon, they were mingling around to approach the guest and thanked them for coming.

“Hey, congrats man. You really did it,” Kyungsoo hugged Jongin and then Miyeon, “Thank you for coming, I know I didn’t really spend time with you guys but Jongin told me a lot about you all that I feel close with you guys.” Miyeon said to the three but mostly looking at Siyeon and Jina. Siyeon smiled and Jina frowned because she sensed something.

“Yeah, but that’s okay. You’ll stuck with him forever so you’ll probably stuck with us too,” Jina said and Miyeon laughed at that, “Congratulations, you are very brave to be with him.” SIyeon said and Jongin threw her a look.

“And crazy,” Kyungsoo added, “Probably something loose in your head?” Jina said too but they all just laughed. “Right, thank you for being here guys. It means a lot,” Jongin said to them, Siyeon smiled while looking at the groom-to-be. She knew she shouldn’t do it because she felt a stare from the woman right beside Jongin.

Miyeon was throwing her looks but Siyeon dismissed it because Miyeon talked with Jongin and Kyungsoo, then the newly engaged couple bid goodbye as they needed to greet the other guests.

The party ended a little after eleven, none of the three get drunk so Siyeon drove Jina while Kyungsoo went home by himself as they arrived with different cars before.

“You know, it might be just me but…… I don’t think Miyeon is…… I don’t know, forget that I ever said this.” Jina shook her head while scrolling through her phone while Siyeon trying to get out from the parking lot. “You got weird vibes from her?” Siyeon asked when they were finally on the road, “Yeah, you got that too right?! Oh, please don’t let me be the only one who got it,” Jina looked at Siyeon who just chuckled.

“I don’t know, we never really got a chance to sit down and hangs, all these years.” Siyeon shrugged, “Yeah, can’t believe Jongin is marrying her.” Jina nodded along.

“You can’t blame feelings,” Siyeon added and Jina looked at her, “You do know that it applies to you too, right?”

“Oh, shut up.”

-----

Everything went as usual until that cold December when Siyeon’s father passed away in his last class of the semester.

“I’m so sorry, honey.”

Jina hugged Siyeon who sat near the altar where her father’s photo was placed, a lot of people came to the funeral but only Jina, Kyungsoo, and Jongin stayed with her until her father was buried. She has been through that before, people saying sorry and hugged her. Trying their best to cheer her up, but back then she had her father to made her stand tall. Now that he’s gone, she felt like she has nobody.

“It was a heart attack,”

Siyeon finally said something after being silent for two days, Jina held her hands. “He didn’t have a chance…. I didn’t get to say goodbye and—” Jina hugged her closely while trying to calm her down. Siyeon hasn’t said anything in the past two days and refused to eat anything.

Siyeon laid her father on his final resting the very next day, Jina had to leave because of work and came with Kyungsoo. Only Jongin was available to accompany her the whole day, Miyeon managed to come to the burial site.

“I’ve been through this before but my mom was by my side at the time, so I couldn’t compare my situation to yours.” Jongin said to her while keeping her close to his side.

“Me too, when I lost my mom, he was here. He did everything while I just sat, staring at her photo, knowing I will never be able to see her again. Now that I’m alone, I don’t know who to turn. I’m so sorry for keeping you here.” Siyeon apologized but he shook his head, “It’s okay, you need me, you need us.” Jongin smiled at her.

For a moment there, she wished Jongin wasn’t engaged to anyone. But the ring on his left hand that has been holding her steady reminded her that she couldn’t do that, even if she wasn’t comfortable with Miyeon, she couldn’t do that to another female.

“I’m so sorry, I just got here. the traffic was quite heavy,” Miyeon apologized to both of them, “That’s okay, thank you for coming.” Siyeon smiled at her.

“Can you stay with her for a moment?” Jongin asked his fiancée and she nodded. After he was out of their sight, Miyeon turned to Siyeon but she wasn’t smiling anymore.

“I know you have feelings for him and I don’t want you to ruin a good thing. Stop doing what you’re doing and leave. I will be married to him in three months’ time, if you want him to be happy, you have to let him go and leave us alone,” Miyeon said without even letting Siyeon to respond. “He keeps comparing me to you in every single thing that I do, say, or wear. He would talk about you or reminiscence on what you guys been through together. I have enough, I don’t need him to tell stories about you. I don’t understand, why do you have to be Jongin’s standard for everything? You’re not even that good or pretty. I don’t want you to jeopardize my happiness with him.”

“If you don’t move, I’ll make sure you disappear from his life.” Miyeon whispered because Jongin was walking back to them, Siyeon looked at her and somehow this woman managed to act in front of her fiancée. Pretending that everything was okay, now Siyeon fully understood what Jina said that night.

-----

“He’s not coming,”

Kyungsoo hung up his phone as Siyeon just put the pasta in the middle of her dining table. “What?” Jina raised her voice.

“Said that he needed to finish a couple things and then talked about the wedding ceremony with his and her family. I don’t’ know, I stopped asking.” Kyungsoo shrugged as he helped Siyeon to distribute the plates.

“This is her first Christmas Eve alone, how could he…..” Jina said but Siyeon just chuckled, “That’s okay, he has more important things to attend to. I’m fine,” she said before going back to the kitchen. She put down her mittens on the counter and sighed, she hasn’t told Jina and Kyungsoo about what Miyeon said to her on the funeral. She didn’t know what to say, it’s no one’s fault. If anyone wants to point whose fault it is, it could be hers.

“Yeah, wait until he got married and then somehow forget us. Dude, that woman is no good for this friendship.” Jina said when Siyeon went back to the dining room and took a seat.

“Let’s not talk about that and I just want to thank you guys for spending this evening with me. It means a lot, really.” Siyeon thanked the two, “Well, I would prefer this than being questioned about boyfriend while getting burnt in Hawaii.” Jina shrugged. “No one’s home, Christmas has been the same with other days so yes, I would prefer to be here.” Kyungsoo said too and they laughed together. Siyeon couldn’t ask for more than this, she was blessed with great friends and that should be enough for her.

Three months after that, Jongin’s wedding took place.

Jina sat in the second row at the church, she looked around but still couldn’t find Siyeon. Kyungsoo was already in the front because he was Jongin’s best man, Jina looked at Kyungsoo and the man furrowed his brows. He’s not good at reading lips so she just rolled her eyes and let him wondering what she was trying to say. Soon, the orchestra started to play and the bride entered with her bridesmaids. Jina sighed, hoping that Siyeon would come because she couldn’t reach her.

At the reception, Kyungsoo managed to find Jina and then looked around.

“She’s not here,” Jina said while gulping her glass of wine, “What?” Kyungsoo’s round eyes just became way more rounded than it was.

“I was trying to tell you this at the church but you can’t read lips for God’s sake,” Jina pinched his arms and he groaned in pain, “What should we tell him?” Kyungsoo asked her and she rolled her eyes. “I don’t know, what don’t you tell me what should we tell him?” she asked back and Kyungsoo tilted his head at her sarcasm.

“Yeah, let’s pretend everything is okay. Don’t tell him yet, let’s think. This goes for both of us,” Kyungsoo said while clapping alongside the other guests as the newly wedded couple entered the reception hall.

“Oh God, I couldn’t reach her.” Jina said while trying to call Siyeon again, “What now? Do you think we need to play a scenario? It’s a diarrhea thing? Work? No, I’m here. Moved? Caught up in traffic?” Jina started to blabber and Kyungsoo gave her a look.

“Yeah, traffic. If she’s commuting from London to Seoul by feet.” He said and Jina groaned, “You’re not helping, should I find another friend to do this? Oh, can you wear a dress and act as if you’re her?” Jina said again.

“Are you actually saying these words?” Kyungsoo looked at her because he couldn’t find the logic in those ideas.

“Oh damn, he’s coming.” she nudged him and Jongin did walk to their direction, Miyeon was catching up behind him but caught up in a conversation with another guest.

“Hey, where’s Siyeon? I haven’t seen her anywhere,” Jongin asked while looking around and the two best friends looked at each other.

“You tell him,” Jina murmured, “No, you tell him.” Kyungsoo murmured back. Jina rolled her eyes and sighed, Jongin looked at the two weirdly.

“What is it?” Jongin asked and Jina took a deep breath to prepare herself.

“She’s not here,” Jina said, “What?’ all the colors from Jongins face disappeared. “We couldn’t reach her at all,” Jina added and Kyungsoo decided to help,

“She’s not coming, she’s missing.”

-----

“And that’s the last thing I heard about you, no calls, no texts, nothing. You just vanished, you deactivated all of your social media accounts. I asked around and no one knows the answer. I know Kyungsoo and Jina know where you are but they didn’t tell me anything, they won’t tell me anything. You moved, your house is now for rent but your tenants don’t know where you are. What happened?”

Jongin bombarded her with questions that she didn’t want to answer, she knew it he knew he would be like this. But her main concern isn’t about him finding out but more to Miyeon know. She looked around but she was nowhere to be seen.

“You shouldn’t be here, you probably should go back to your wife.” Siyeon shook her head and was going to wash the dishes before he grabbed her hand.

“She’s not here, we need to talk.”

Siyeon looked at the face she longed to see for years and she knew he didn’t take no for an answer. So, when Jina came back with another barista, Siyeon quickly let her hand go and looked at Jina who standstill near the door.

“Can you watch the café for a while?” Siyeon asked as Jina walked slowly to them, Jina nodded while looking at Jongin in horror knowing he knew that she already knew where Siyeon was but didn’t tell him anything.

“Hi, Jina.” Jongin greeted her and Jina smiled, “How did you get here?” Jina asked him while he was waiting for Siyeon to put off her apron and took her bag.

“I followed you?” Jongin fished out his phone and Jina nodded, “I’m a fool,” Jina shook her head and went to behind the counter.

Siyeon looked at Jongin and then left the café first with him following her from behind, they walked until they reached the beach. She sighed as she kept looking at the clear sea, she would come out here if she needed to think.

“After my father died, I don’t think I have anything else that would hold me close and strong in Seoul. I didn’t feel obliged to stay in Seoul, I need to move away. I couldn’t sell the house but I don’t want to stay there alone so this is the best alternative I have.”

“Probably also telling me would be a good idea,” Jongin said as he stood right beside her.

“You weren’t at the wedding, I couldn’t find you. No one could reach you, Miyeon kept telling me how you’ve moved on with your life. Telling me that you don’t care about me anymore and managed to make me resenting you for a whole year.” Jongin began to talk and Siyeon kept silent.

“And then I heard her conversation with her friends while I was working home, telling them how she managed to made you go away and leave me. At first, I didn’t know what she was talking about but when I mentioned your name once again, she got so angry and told me everything that she told you….. On your father’s funeral.” Jongin looked to his left and found Siyeon crying silently, the same view he saw on her father’s funeral.

“You are not supposed to be here, we should have never met again. This is a big mistake,” Siyeon shook her head because she knew that he knew what Miyeon said to her. He didn’t need to know that, it should be between her and Miyeon. Even Kyungsoo and Jina didn’t know anything about what Miyeon said to her. She simply said she couldn’t stay in Seoul any longer so Jina volunteered to visit during the weekend. Café was a side job as she also worked as a freelance accountant, it was way better than the busy hustling Seoul and living next door to Jongin and his wife.

“I know what she said to you and you have to stop shielding her.” Jongin begged her but Siyeon still hasn’t looked him back.

“I’ve been searching for you. I’ve looked you up, asked around, hired people to find you. I have to see you,” Jongin said and Siyeon wiped her tears.

“So what? So you can ask why I’m leaving? That’s it? You already know the answer so if you—”

Jongin cut her words by pulling her for a kiss, something he longed to do all these times.

“No, no we can’t do this….. Miyeon—”

“She filled for a divorce, saying I haven’t present because I’ve been looking for you, all these damn times.” Jongin stopped her from talking, “While looking for you I found something else along the way, I found that I love you. You who sat at the back of the class, who lets me stay over before exams, who helped me before asking someone out, who was there when my father passed away, who always wanted to make me happy in ways I can’t describe….. It’s you this whole damn time and I’m sorry for being a jerk, realizing it too late. I’m so sorry….” Jongin apologized.

Siyeon looked at him, still couldn’t process anything that he just said. She looked at him with trembling eyes, “And I understand if you don’t want me here or if you’ve moved on—” this time she was the one who cut him off by kissing him back.

Something she has been dreamed of since the first time she realized her feelings towards him.

“I still love you, it won’t change.”

“So, we can try this?” he asked ad she slowly nodded her head

-----

“About damn time,”

Kyungsoo muttered when Siyeon and Jongin went back to the café hand in hand with smiles on their face.

“Pay up, sir.”

Jina put down the cloth she used to wipe the glasses and asked Kyungsoo who reluctantly opened his wallet, “You putting a bet on us?” Jongin furrowed his brows at the scene.

“Yeah, we were betting on how long she could hold the secret from you. I said everything will be finished today but he said it would be a little longer.” Jina shrugged and then laughed.

“Losing this bet is better than having to seal my mouth for 13 years, thank you Siyeon. Really entertaining,” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes but Siyeon just laughed, “Yeah, me too. These whole six years has been fun, now I know your feelings.” Jina patted Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

“The wait is worth it,” Jongin smiled while looking at SIyeon, she didn’t need anything else other than him and her friends.

It was worth it.

 


 

a/n

I'm so sorrryyy for taking soo long writing this:( studying from home actually kills me with all the assignments but hey, it's better than offline classes;( yes, I hate my major that much lol our leader Suho-nim has gone to the army! I really hope all the members could enlist faster so we can see them again fasterr:(( don't forget to stream to Yours by chanyeol x raisen (ft, changmo and lee hi) (WHAT A PACK OF TALENTED PEOPLE!), Bol4's new album is actually really good (when do bol4 songs not good?), ANDD BAEKBOY IS BACK SOON!

Anyway, I hope you guys like it:( I feel like this is a very lacking story so pleasee do tell me what to improve!:) Thank you and please stay safe, do social distancing and stay at home a lot:D

Until next time!

p.s Already thought about a new story so that might be the reason why this one lacks:( sorry