I Know Who You Are

No Hesitation

Interior, Yoona sitting on a chair. Her sweater is torn at the shoulder. Her hair is a mess.

"Let's see," a man says. He's standing on the other side of the room, dressed in a suit and a tie. He's holding an open folder. He starts reading, "Im Yoona, 25 years old, born in the suburbs of Port Town. Most recently a student of the Port Town Science..."

"Most recently," Yoona says, "a prisoner at the Kingsborough camp."

The man looks at her. "Yes, yes," he says. He continues reading, "A prisoner of the regime, apprehended trying to cross the forest leading to one of our hidden outposts." The man starts walking around the room. He reads on, "Questioned by the local commander she has testified, that she wanted to get in contact with her deceased father's allies to inform them about the concentration of enemy forces in the region of Kingsborough, and about the rumors of an impending attack being prepared in the vicinity." The man nods his head. "And that... Along with your name of course. Even just your name, that is enough for us." He walks up to Yoona and gives her the folder. "We only need your signature."

Yoona grabs a pen. "I also said that I want to fight." She signs the document in the folder and stands up. She faces the man. "Against our common..."

"Yes," the man says. "Good, good. Just repeat that when you arrive."

"Where am I going?"

The man smiles. "You will find out soon enough."
 




A small room.

A balding man sitting at the desk says, "Last time, when you were talking about the holidays three years before the war, you mentioned visiting the estate of a friend of your family. What was the name of this friend?"

A female is sitting on the other end of the desk. She says, "Song Jieun." The man looks through the papers on his desk. "But I told you that already."

The man looks at her. "Right," he says. "Right, right, you did." He looks at the papers again. "So this, uhh, this estate. Was it long established? Inherited?"

"I'm not sure, but their family settled in that region before us. And my father knew them even before that..."

Im Yoona is listening to this conversation, in a separate dark room, the girl's voice is coming from a small speaker. Yoona is reading some papers.

"When we moved there," the girl continues, "my father was going to build the processing plant, and their family helped him with a sizeable loan."

The interrogator behind the desk is staring at her. "Now tell me more about those holidays, the day you arrived."

The girl says, "I reached the station late in the evening. It was ten, maybe half past ten. There was a carriage waiting there for me."

"Two-horse?"

"I can't remember."

"Try to." The man moves in his chair. "It's important."

"One-horse."

"The driver?"

"No driver, Jieun was driving."

The man gets up and turns around. He reaches for a bottle lying on the cabinet behind him. He says, "What did this station look like." He starts pouring himself a drink.

There's a small mirror on the wall above the cabinet.

The girl says, "Didn't we already talk about that?"

The man glances at her and then faces the mirror.

The girl finally starts talking again.

On the other side of the mirror, Yoona is there watching them, she's watching the girl's face, it's Krystal Jung.

"See?" a man's voice whispers from behind Yoona.

Yoona nods her head. "I get it," she whispers.

"She's even showing this attitude to us, in here," the man continues. "She's not dumb, she has to know we can off her any time we want, it's not that." Yoona keeps staring at Krystal. The man whispers, "I think it's just the way she is. And now imagine what she's like when she's an officer..."

Krystal keeps on talking, her voice coming from the speaker. She's saying, "The village to the left... Well the road through the woods was shorter but Jieun wanted to show me the lake. Later we would sometimes go to that lake with Jessica."

"Jessica?" the interrogator says.

Krystal is staring him down.

The man behind Yoona whispers, "Right there." Yoona nods her head. Krystal keeps staring. "See, all this information, it's child's play. But if you can just replicate that look..."

"My cousin?" Krystal finally says. "Jessica is my far cousin, I told you, my great aunt was..."

"Okay," the man tells Yoona. "You've heard that enough times, right? Now go get some sun tan."
 




A prison cell, a woman and a man playing checkers.

The sound of somebody coming, they both get up.

The door opens, a guard pushes Krystal inside and closes the door.

Krystal walks across the room. She sits on a stool next to another woman.

The woman is sitting on a bunk, rolling a cigarette. She says, "And?"

"Still the same," Krystal says. She shakes her head. "Third time in a row they keep asking about the same goddamn holidays five years ago." She shakes her head some more. "I'm gonna go crazy."

The woman lights a match.

Krystal shouts, "What the hell is it all for?"
 




A large map, arrows and circles drawn all over it.

A man is saying, "We must organize our attack right here, in the region of the village Shortjoust." He points to one of the circles on the map. "We will transfer most of our forces here."

The man looks up, it's Xiah Junsu. He is wearing a dark blue uniform.

He looks at the other officers gathered around the table with the map spread out on top of it. They're all wearing similar uniforms, except one woman in a black uniform.

"We must breach the rebels' fortifications in this exact spot," Junsu says. He points to the map again. "The armored column must push twenty to twenty-five kilometers within enemy territory all the way to here." He taps the pen on the map.

Some of the officers look at their own small maps in their hands and then back at Junsu.

Junsu says, "Using the element of surprise, we will move up and establish a supply line." He raises his hand in the air. "Shock and surprise," he says, "is the key to the success of our operation." He looks at the other officers. "Is everything clear?"

Yoona and all the other officers nod their heads but Kim Hyoyeon, the one dressed in black standing next to Yoona, opens . She says, "Has the exact time of the offensive been decided yet, General."

Junsu looks at her. "July 7th, 4:30 AM," he announces.

Yoona is listening.

Junsu looks at a few other officers, saying, "Of course, the commanders will receive their own sealed envelopes, which can be opened only after the direct orders have been distributed." He keeps furrowing his brow, eyeballing all the officers in turn. "Our intelligence reports," he says, "that the rebels have already regroupped after their last defeat, and are now attempting to form a defensive perimeter along the Joust stream." Junsu raises his voice, "And therefore only a strike with everything that we have available, will let us accomplish the task set by the corps headquarters." He pauses and then says, "That is all regarding the operational proceedings. And now." He looks at Hyoyeon.

Hyoyeon stands straight and listens.

Junsu says, "Chief Assistant Commissioner Kim will inform all of you about the steps undertaken to secure the safety at the back of our operation."

"This morning," Hyoyeon says, "I ordered all young people in town to be deported westwards for forced labor."
 




Street in town, a lot of shouting, soldiers in black uniforms herding people along towards the back of a truck.

Yoona walks by, in her dark blue uniform, she watches for a moment as a soldier pushes a young boy forward with the of his rifle.

"Move it," he's shouting.

Yoona walks down the street.

Somebody yells, "Everybody against the wall!"

A couple more trucks are getting filled with people.

Yoona walks on up to the next crossing and looks around.

Goo Hara is coming this way. She smiles when she sees Yoona, she is dressed in a blouse and skirt, carrying a huge suitcase. Yoona walks up to her, they grab the suitcase together and walk on.

Hara isn't smiling anymore when they reach the crossing. They stop and look ahead.

There's some more shouting. A young man is trying to escape, he runs away and turns the corner, running the opposite direction.

A soldier yells something, the young man keeps running. The soldier fires a long burst with his submachine gun. The man drops dead on the empty street.

Hara links her arm around Yoona's, they start walking again. They pass the group of soldiers guarding the nearest truck full of people and move on.

There's blood next to the young man's body when they walk by.

They walk on. Yoona whispers, "Couldn't you have waited with this?"

"Stop! Stop right there!" somebody shouts behind them.

The sound of boots running.

Yoona and Hara glance at each other. Yoona reaches for the pistol.

A soldier runs by them, he keeps running. Yoona pulls her hand away.

The sound of the soldier still running and then stopping.

They stop too. Hara whispers, "Those radiolocation trucks are out day and night." Yoona looks at her and then glances around. Hara says, "I'm moving the radio station over to Jihyun."

They watch the soldier as he passes them on his way back, his rifle pressed against a man's back, pushing him forward. They wait a moment.

"Okay, I'll be there in the evening," Yoona says.

Hara nods her head and starts walking away. She turns around to look at Yoona, smiles, and walks away.

It's started raining. Yoona goes the other way, she looks at the sky. She starts walking faster.

She notices somebody on the stairs at the door of the next building.

Yoona walks up, it's Min Sunye. She's dressed in a formal blazer and skirt, with a red cross badge on her chest.

Yoona comes closer, they stand facing each other, Sunye two steps higher than Yoona. Sunye says, "Who was that?"

"Who?" Yoona says and smiles.

Sunye smirks. "What do you mean who. That girl."

"Ahhh," Yoona says. "That girl." She looks over there and then back at Sunye. "I don't know, she was carrying a large suitcase, I helped her."

"A local?"

"Not sure, haven't asked her that."

Sunye smiles. "Pretty?"

"Aww, come on." Yoona laughs.

A nurse appears in the door. She says, "Doctor, there is a phone call for you."

"Yes," Sunye answers. She looks at Yoona again. She says, "Are we seeing each other tonight?"

"Of course," Yoona says.

Sunye smiles.
 




A huge attic full of old junk.

Nam Jihyun covers the window with a cloth, the room falls dark. She walks away from the window. "Okay," she says. "We can start."

Yoona lights a match and puts it to the oil lamp on a pillar, it starts burning.

Yoona turns around. "Write," she says.

Hara is sitting at the desk, the radio station set up in front of her. She is looking at Yoona.

Yoona says, "From YNG7." Hara starts writing. "The regime plans an attack... On July 7th... At 4:30 AM in region B3... Possibility to precede their attack... with artillery fire... Estimated coordinates prediction, version A... From B3, 17 30... to B3, 24 32... Version B... From B3, 10 27... to B3, 14 30... Version B less likely due to damaged roads... Okay, encode and broadcast it." Yoona turns away.

Jihyun is watching her, leaning against the pillar.

Yoona tells her, "I checked. Those radiolocation cars are indeed on the move again. Be careful."

Jihyun says, "You be careful too."

Yoona nods. "Oh, Hara," she says and walks up to the desk. "I got a real scare because of you today." She leans on the desk.

"Because of me?" Hara says.

Yoona nods.

"Ah, I get it," Hara looks down and wants to start writing again.

"No, you don't," Yoona says. Hara looks at her again. "It's not about the round-up. When I was talking to you my girlfriend spotted me."

"Girlfriend?" Jihyun says. Hara smiles.

"What, can't I have a girlfriend?" They all giggle. "A couple officers are even jealous about Min Sunye, she's a great girl. But she tends to get jealous too." Yoona and Hara start laughing.

"Listen," Jihyun says. "But those radiolocation cars. Couldn't we somehow..." Yoona stops laughing. "Get rid of them?"

"We'll see, but..." Yoona looks somewhere. "It's damn risky." She looks at Jihyun. "Anything big is absolutely out of the question. There's an NSS special group in town, you know that."

Jihyun shrugs. "Maybe a fire in the garage."

"Mhm," Yoona says. She nods her head. "And you know what would be the result?" She stands up straight and looks at Jihyun. "A massacre." She walks over to the pillar. "A massacre of the local population. Kim is only waiting for a pretext."
 




Morning twilight. An officer looks out from a window in the fortification.

He walks over to the desk with the phone and radio station, the radio operator looks at him.

He turns around, walks up to the two officers analyzing a map spread out on a table.

He goes to the window and looks outside again.

The phone rings. The radio operator picks it up, the officer snatches it away from his hands.

"Yes sir," he barks. "Yes, go ahead... Yes sir." He hangs up.

He walks over to the map, everybody is looking at him.

He says, "All right. We are ready. The concentration of forces is finished. The enemy has made no move."

An explosion is heard outside, all the officers turn their heads.

Two more explosions. The first officer looks at his watch.

More explosions. He walks up to the window, the explosions keep coming.

He turns around and shouts, "They've gone crazy, the attack was to start 4:30!"
 




"What?!" Junsu is holding the phone, he gets up from his desk. "The rebel forces?" he shouts. "Half an hour before our offensive!?"
 




An entrance to a building, busy street, an armed guard in a dark blue uniform beside the door.

Kim Hyoyeon is pacing this way and that in front of the guard, dressed in her black uniform.

She stops and turns around, there is a sound of a car coming.

Hyoyeon walks down the stairs to the street.

The car stops, Yoona gets off. They face each other.

Hyoyeon says, "The rebels have anticipated our attack." Yoona looks at the entrance and then back at Hyoyeon. "And they reclaimed a good couple kilometers of ground too."

Yoona says, "The old man's not going to our hair for that." She smiles a little.

Hyoyeon smiles too. "I don't think he's getting his hair either."

They walk up the stairs and enter the building.
 




Interior, a big rolling map on the wall.

"Ladies," Junsu says, "Not without reason have I called both of you here." He starts walking forward. "The events that took place today have added a dark spot on the reputation of our division." He sideeyes Hyoyeon as he passes her. He looks at Yoona. "We have to erase that dark spot," he says. "And before that happens, we have to find the guilty party."

Hyoyeon says, "My special group is at your service, General."

Junsu turns to her and says, "Yes, but I'm not interested in special groups, it's not my business, just do your job." He turns away, takes a few steps and raises his voice again. "But what I am interested in is the information leak." He stops and looks at both of them. He starts walking forward and shouts, "It is unthinkable, that a rebel assault in this exact spot, and half an hour before the advance of our tanks, should be attributed to coincidence." He stops right in front of Yoona and looks at her. "What do you think about it Jung."

"I agree with you, General."

"That is not enough," Junsu shouts. "You," he tells Yoona. Then he looks at Hyoyeon, "And you, Chief Assistant Commissioner Kim. You two have to show me exactly, which way information known only to my seven officers has made its way to the rebels." Junsu pauses. He says, "Of course I am not suspecting anybody. But the enemy is awake."

"General," Yoona says. "If I may..."

"Go ahead," Junsu says.

"The information about the planned attack was also known in the corps HQ." Yoona looks at Hyoyeon and then back at Junsu. "Of course I am not blaming anyone over there, but..."

"I do not rule out even this possibility. But..." Junsu walks away towards his desk. He looks at Hyoyeon. "We have to start from our own backyard."

Hyoyeon says, "Yes, General."

"Jung." Junsu walks up to Yoona again. "You are a young officer. You have recently graduated the ArmPol school. I think that on this case you should be subordinate to Chief Assistant Commissioner Kim, as she is the more experienced."

Hyoyeon smirks behind Junsu's back.
 



 
A room, several desks, soldiers in dark blue uniforms with headphones on.

Hyoyeon enters, walks to the back of the room where one of the soldiers is holding a phone receiver to his ear.

"And?" Hyoyeon says.

"Nothing, they're not transmitting at all. Complete silence."

"What about the cypher?"

"There was a message from HQ, they haven't been able to break this cypher either." Hyoyeon nods her head. The soldier continues, "We didn't have enough data. If we had caught the whole dispatch..."

"I understand," Hyoyeon cuts him off. She nods her head again and then walks a few steps away. She says, "Was Lieutenant Jung here?"
 




Interior, flowers and an ashtray on an octagon table, a window with closed curtains, music playing.

Yoona is buckling her pistol belt.

Sunye enters the room with a tray. "What," she says, "You're already leaving?"

"Yes, I have to go," Yoona says.

"How come," Sunye walks over and stands in front of Yoona, "You're working? Kim hasn't told me anything about that." She puts the tray on the table.

"Oh, you discuss my schedule with Kim now?" Yoona says and smiles. "Wouldn't it be easier to ask me?"

"Yes, well," Sunye looks down at the table. Yoona is watching her from behind. "She called me over today." Yoona stops smiling. "For something a bit like a questioning. She was asking if I haven't noticed any strange behavior..."

"In me?" Yoona says.

Sunye laughs a little. She turns around to look at Yoona. "No Krystal, not you." She looks forward again. "She asked in general, about everybody. And besides, what would be the reason to go on asking questions about you." Yoona moves in front of Sunye. "She probably understands, that we are in love with each other."

"That's funny," Yoona says, "She never mentioned she was going to question you."

Sunye shrugs. "That's what her job is about, it was just a formality." Yoona looks down. Sunye lowers her voice. "And if there was anybody who might not trust you completely..."

"You would be the last person Sunye, wouldn't you?"

They look at each other.
 




Hyoyeon enters Junsu's office.

Junsu is standing by the rolling map. He turns to Hyoyeon and says, "What have you got for me, Chief Assistant Commissioner?" He stands sideways, right in front of Hyoyeon, and listens.

Hyoyeon says, "My superior at the corps HQ, Inspector Park, reports that the leak could not have originated over there."

Junsu looks at her. He says, "Too bad." He starts walking. "That would've made our task a lot easier," he says.

Hyoyeon follows him to the cupboard.

"You see, it is pretty important to me..." Junsu puts a cigarette in his mouth. "Chief Assistant Commissioner Kim..." He lights it. Hyoyeon stands behind him and snaps her heels together. Junsu turns to look at her. "That you find this, this chatterbox."

"So you think it's just carelessness?"
 
"What else could it be," Junsu barks and turns away from Hyoyeon again. "I can't suspect the seven officers forming my immediate surroundings."

Hyoyeon says, "You are in a lucky situation, General." Junsu looks at her. "Unfortunately, I have to suspect everybody."

Junsu smirks. "So eight officers," he says. He takes a drag off his cigarette. "Eight, including me."

Hyoyeon frowns. "Inspector Park," she says, shaking her head, "rules you out."

Junsu takes the cigarette out of his mouth, he slams his fist on the cupboard. "What?!" he shouts. He turns around to Hyoyeon. "You had the temerity to enquire? About me?" Hyoyeon stands at attention. Junsu screams in her face, "You are forgetting yourself, Chief Assistant Commissioner Kim! How dare you!"

Hyoyeon is leaning backwards. She says, "I am sorry General, but you have mentioned your name yourself."

"Enough talking," Junsu shouts. "I want concrete results."

"In that case," Hyoyeon says, "I suggest organizing, as soon as possible, maybe even today, another meeting. In the same line up as before."

Junsu turns away, "You really seem to be suspecting people from my closest environment." He looks all around and takes a drag off his cigarette.

"I just don't believe in miracles, General," Hyoyeon snaps. Junsu puffs out some smoke. "If this... this chatterbox is among them."

"Among us!" Junsu shouts. "Among us, you wanted to say! You were present at that meeting too."

"I... rule myself out," Hyoyeon says. Junsu puffs out some more smoke in her direction. "If he is among them," Hyoyeon says, "this radio station, which has been quiet for the last three days, soon after that hoax meeting it will broadcast a corresponding dispatch."
 




Junsu's office. Map spread on the table, officers in a circle around it.

"And so," Junsu says, "the attack will take place tomorrow at 7:30. This time we must take the rebels by surprise. The commanding officers will open the sealed envelopes at 5 AM."

Hyoyeon says, "Will there be enough time to concentrate our forces, General."

Junsu says, "The HQ chief guarantees that."
 




Jihyun is looking outside the attic window. She says, "Okay, you can go if you want." She walks up to Yoona. "So you think that this meeting was a provocation, yeah?"

Yoona exhales some smoke. "I am sure of it." She stubs out her cigarette and looks at Jihyun. "They wanted to check if the information got leaked by one of the officers present at the previous one." She grabs her cap. Jihyun wants to say something but Yoona continues, "What I told you about the real placement of their forces, you will broadcast all that tomorrow." Jihyun nods her head. "Whatever time you want, but after 7 AM." Jihyun nods again. "Today not a single word."

Yoona puts on her cap and walks to the door. They exchange smiles with Hara, Yoona leaves.

Hara goes to the window.
 




Interior, old furniture, scraped walls.

A soldier in a black uniform looks behind a picture hanging on the wall. He tears it off and throws it on the floor. The glass frame breaks. He steps on it, he picks up the flower pot from the ground.

An old man watches the soldier as he pulls the flower out and looks inside the empty pot.

The soldier throws the pot back on the ground and turns to the wardrobe, there's some things lying on top of it. A huge alarm clock, some clothes. The soldier looks through it, then opens the wardrobe. It's full of clothes, he throws a few things out.

He turns around. Hyoyeon enters, in full uniform, with a young man in a suit and a hat behind her.

Hyoyeon says, "And?"

Another man in plain clothes comes up from a different part of the house. He says, "In five other houses on this street we found nothing. But here..." He shows Hyoyeon a small device. Hyoyeon takes it. "This. That's why I sent a messenger."

Hyoyeon moves over to the old man. She stands in front of him.

She shows him the device. "Do you know what this is?" she says.

The man looks at it for a moment. "No," he says.

"Oh, you don't know," Hyoyeon says. She moves a few steps, the broken glass is creaking under her boots. The old woman standing in the corner looks at her. "Maybe you know anything about this?" Hyoyeon says. "What's this thing doing here?"

The woman starts stuttering, "I-I think... I think our daughter, she, uhh, she used to uhhh..." Hyoyeon is nodding her head. "She made all those various things and she, ummm, she played with..."

"Yes, your daughter, and where is she now?"

The woman shakes her head. "I don't know. S-she, she left when the war started. She didn't say a thing. Not even a letter."

Hyoyeon turns around. She walks over to the soldier. "Where did you find this?"

"In the kitchen, inside the rubbish bin," the soldier says.

Hyoyeon smiles. She turns around. She walks up to the woman again.

"Since the start of the war you haven't had the chance to take out the trash right?" The woman is looking down. "Those various things," Hyoyeon says, "it was a radio station." She stops smiling. "You were hiding spies in here."

"No, madam," the man says from behind.

Hyoyeon turns to him. She yells, "Don't play a fool!" The man glances at her. She says, "There was a radio station here. When and where did they go?"

"There wasn't anybody here," the man says.

"Listen pops," Hyoyeon looks him up and down, "You know that if we take you with us..." She grabs his shirt and pulls his face closer. "There won't be much left of you."

"We didn't do anything," the man says.

Hyoyeon slaps him across the face, he loses his balance and sits on the bed behind him.

"Jesus Christ," the woman starts muttering. "Please..."

Hyoyeon moves to her. "This was just a starter. Tell him to talk."

"Madam, we are poor people..."

The man stands up. Hyoyeon turns to him. "Talk," she says. "When and where did they go?"

The man says, "We won't say anything."

"Uh-huh," Hyoyeon says. She turns away. "So that means you do have something to say about it." She nods her head and pouts. "Okay then." She moves towards the door and stands next to the soldier and the two guys. She looks at the old man. "Your skin wouldn't even make a pair of shoes for us." She smirks. "And we will find out anyway." She turns around and tells her men, "Move."

They all walk out.
 




Outside, the three men walking behind Hyoyeon.

One of the guys in plain clothes says, "I don't get it, this was the only trace."

Hyoyeon tells him, "You are dumb I know them they won't talk."

The man clenches his fist. "I'd make them talk."

"You'd kill them and they wouldn't say a word," Hyoyeon says. She stops and looks at the men. "If they know where the radio station is, one of them might go warn them." She tells the other guy in a suit. "You stay here. Keep an eye on them."

"Yes ma'am."

The young man stands at the corner. Hyoyeon and the two other men get on the car.

"Discreetly," Hyoyeon says and closes the door.

The guy moves a bit further away.
 




The old woman moves across town carrying a wicker basket. The guy in the suit is tailing her. They reach a three story red brick house, with a wooden attic built on top, situated a bit further away from the street than all the other houses.

The woman enters.
 




Interior. Hyoyeon throws her cap on the coatrack on the wall. She turns to the soldier in a dark blue uniform.

"Contact the General," she says.

"The General is busy right now," the soldier replies.

"He told me I should even wake him up at night if I had to."

The soldier picks up the phone receiver. "What, have you found this radio station?"

"Yes." Hyoyeon smiles. "Luck was with us."
 




Yoona is walking down a street, some people pass her by.

She stops, there's some noise nearby. Somebody is shouting, "Never mind, take whatever you have with you and let's go."

Somebody else shouts, "We don't have time, move it."

Yoona walks closer.

There's a truck and a couple jeeps next to a garrage, soldiers in black uniforms are getting on.

"Lee!" Yoona calls one of them.

He runs up and stands at attention.

"What's going on here?" Yoona says and looks around.

"We're going on a mission."

"What mission?"

He says, "We've located that radio station of theirs." Yoona glances at him and then looks at the trucks again. "Haven't you heard about it yet Lieutenant?"

Yoona looks at him. He stands straight again. "I have," Yoona says. "And you're talking way too much."

"But, Lieutenant, it's not like I'm saying this to..."

Yoona points with her head. The soldier snaps his heels together and then runs away.
 




Street crossing, an ambulance turns left. Sunye is the passenger.

She looks out through the window and frowns, she spots somebody in the street. It's Hara, she goes in through an open gate. She approaches the red brick house.

The car passes, Sunye can no longer see Hara. She looks ahead again and sighs.

The car keeps moving.

Sunye is looking outside. She spots Yoona, Yoona is walking very fast, looking back over her shoulder.

Sunye tells the driver, "Stop the car please. I will go back by myself."

She gets off the car and watches Yoona. She follows her.

Sunye sees Yoona entering the brick house. She walks over to the other side of the street. She watches the house from there.
 




Jihyun opens the attic door. Yoona enters.

"You have to run," she yells. "They're coming." She goes inside.

"Pack it up," Jihyun says.

Hara looks at them. She grabs the antenna.

"Don't pack," Yoona says. "Just take it downstairs, move it."

They stop, there's a noise. Cars coming.

Jihyun looks out the window.

Soldiers are jumping out of the truck.

Hyoyeon is waving her arms around. "What's the matter," she's shouting. "Move it!"

The soldiers are moving across the yard.

Yoona is looking out the other window. She turns to Jihyun. "The cyphers!"

Jihyun walks up to the table, she grabs some pieces of paper. Yoona gives her a lighter.

Hara runs to a cupboard. She picks up a submachine gun. She moves to the window and aims. She fires two bursts. One soldier drops dead. The rest seek cover.

Yoona picks up another submachine gun, she opens fire from the other window.

The soldiers return fire, Hyoyeon and her assistants hide behind the jeep.

Machine gun bullets penetrate the wooden walls of the attic, Hara gasps. She slides down to the floor.

Yoona stops firing, she looks over there, she sees Hara lying on the floor. She ducks down, there's more bullets coming. She tries to return fire again.

Jihyun runs up to Hara. She looks at her for a moment.

She picks up her gun and drops to the floor, there is a lot of incoming fire.

She crawls away on the floor towards the middle of the attic. She reaches inside a basket and picks up a grenade. She sits up and wants to use it. A bullet hits her before she can pull the safety out. She collapses.

Yoona moves away from the window, there is more and more gunfire.

Outside, Hyoyeon is firing her pistol from behind the jeep. Sunye runs up to her. "Chief Assistant Commissioner," she shouts, "What are you doing? She is in there!"

"What?" Hyoyeon fires another shot, "Who's in there." She aims again.

Sunye grabs her arm. "Krystal is there," she shouts. "Krystal Jung." Hyoyeon looks at her. "She went to see that girl."

Hyoyeon is still looking at Sunye. Then she turns around.

She shouts, "Hold your fire."

"Hold your fire!" her assistant yells.

The firing stops. Everything is quiet.

"Jung!" Hyoyeon shouts. "You are surrounded you have no chance!"

Sunye looks at her and opens .

Hyoyeon smirks. "You have three minutes!" she calls out.

Inside, Yoona creeps up to a window. She aims and fires a long burst.

Hyoyeon ducks down. A house window behind them is hit and breaks.

Hyoyeon's assistant peeks out from behind the jeep, he aims his rifle.

"Stop!" Hyoyeon shouts. She gets up. "I want her alive." She looks towards the house again. "We'll wait for three minutes," she says. "Prepare the smoke grenades."

The assistant turns to his men.

Hyoyeon looks down on the ground next to her. She flinches, there's a grimace on her face.

Inside, Yoona is running around the place. She looks this way and that. She checks the walls. She finds a back door but it's barred shut with big pieces of wood nailed to it.

She runs around some more.

Finally she finds a few loose wood blocks at the back of a huge old wardrobe, there's enough room to hide in there.

Outside, Hyoyeon looks at her watch.

Inside, Yoona is taking off her uniform.

Outside, Hyoyeon still staring at the house. She checks her watch again. She gestures to her men to move forward.

Inside, Yoona is writing a note with a pencil. She signs it, Krystal Jung.

She grabs the grenade and pulls the safety out.

Explosion. Hyoyeon watches the smoke coming out of the attic window. She shouts to her men to move faster.

A soldier enters the attic, he fires at the body on the floor.

More soldiers run in. They start searching the place. One of the soldiers approaches the old wardrobe. He checks the clothes hanging inside with his gun barrel. He doesn't find anything and moves on.

Hyoyeon enters, pistol in hand. She walks up to the radio station. She slams her fist down on top of it. She grabs the antenna and rips it out.

Her assistant notices the piece of paper on the floor. He picks it up and gives it to Hyoyeon.

She starts reading it. "You win, Kim," she reads. "I'm glad that I..." she mumbles the rest of the way through. She keeps reading and finally reads the last two words out loud: "Krystal Jung."

She puts the piece of paper in her pocket.

"Here, Chief Assistant Commissioner," a soldier calls out.

Hyoyeon moves forward. They all look down at the floor.

"Grenade," her assistant says. "She ripped herself apart."

Hyoyeon steps closer.
 




Junsu's office.

"Ad acta," Junsu says and throws the folder on the desk. Hyoyeon is sitting there, facing him. Junsu sits down at his desk. "It won't bring us any honor," he says. "The fact that it had to be our division that the mafia had placed their spy in."

Hyoyeon picks up the folder. She says, "What is most painful, General, is that it was ArmPol in particular." She ties a knot on the folder. "And only the vigilance of the National Security Service has made the spy's liquidation possible. The Chief Inspector himself demands a special report on that matter."

"Yeah," Junsu nods his head. "Oh, well," he says. "I can already congratulate you on your promotion. You suspected her."

Hyoyeon shrugs her shoulders. "She was checked at the ArmPol school, but in NSS," she says, "I was taught not to trust anybody." Junsu is smiling. "And especially not to trust the most exceptional officers, General."

"That's overdoing it," Junsu says.

"The principle holds true, General," Hyoyeon says. "The fabulous Krystal Jung proved to be a rebel, a mafia descendant. She left us a souvenir in the form of a farewell letter."

"Ad acta," Junsu snaps. "I would rather not return to the affairs of a person, that for months has been leading us by the nose."

Hyoyeon smiles. She says, "The NSS will not be led by the nose for too long, General."

Junsu looks down at his desk. He shakes his head a little. "Who would've thought," he says. "She was so... likeable."

"Well," Hyoyeon says, "you have to admit General, that it was a well planned, and uhh, well executed job."
 




Interior. Krystal's interrogator is on the phone.

"Yes," he says. "Yes, of course she's here... Yes. Yes, I understand." He hangs up.

Yoona is sitting in a chair. The man turns to her.

"Well," he says. "You're clear. The pigs are just on the outskirts of town. Last chance to go back."

"Nah," Yoona says, "this is too good of an opportunity."

The man smiles. "All right."

"Should be easier this time. And," Yoona says. She looks somewhere. "I have learned a lot during those few months there." She looks at the man. "I'll be more careful."

"Your choice," the man says. "And remember, you can count on us."

The door opens, another man looks inside, he's carrying some clothes.

The interrogator tells him, "Come in."

The guy walks inside, he gives the things to Yoona, saying, "These are her clothes." He turns around and leaves.

The interrogator says, "Listen, those people in that cell have seen her around for months. It's your only alibi."

Yoona says, "And her?"

"Don't worry, she's coming with us."

Yoona nods her head and looks down.

The man smiles and hits her shoulder, she looks up at him. "We won't give up, take it easy. We'll be back sooner or later."
 




The guard opens the door to the cell. "Get out, qui..."

Yoona slams a chair on his head, he collapses.

One of the other prisoners picks up his rifle, she aims it.

"Don't," Yoona pulls the rifle up. "Don't make noise."

The guard on the floor opens his eyes when they run out of the cell.
 




Interior, Seohyun is on the phone. She is wearing a black uniform, her cap is lying on the desk.

"Yes," she says. "Yes, I have them all here... Of course Inspector." She listens for a little more and then hangs up.

She turns around and walks over to the center of the room. Yoona and the three other people are lined up, standing at attention.

"So you are telling me," Seohyun says, "That you were all being held in this mafia jail for months and that you finally escaped just now." She walks up to the man and looks at him. "Is that it?"

The man nods.

Yoona says, "Yes, Chief Commissioner."

Seohyun and the other prisoners all look at Yoona. Seohyun walks up to her. "You are answering like a soldier," she says.

"I am a soldier," Yoona says.

"A soldier?"

"Yes ma'am."

"And they put you in jail? Not in some prisoners camp?"

"It's a long story, actually," Yoona says. "I graduated the ArmPol North secret academy." Seohyun is staring at her. "When the rebels reclaimed the area they sent all my family east. But I managed to escape the transport. They caught me when I was crossing the border." Yoona smiles. "They caught me in plain clothes. Of course they interrogated me intensely, but..."

"We will talk about that," Seohyun interrupts. She turns around and starts walking, saying, "Your name."

"Krystal Jung," Yoona says.

Seohyun spins around and looks at her. "Krystal Jung."

"Yes."

Seohyun keeps staring. "I have heard that name before."

"Maybe my father, he had a small estate and a processing plant..."

"No no." Seohyun shakes her head a little.

"Maybe my uncle Songmin. He was a judge in..."

"No no, it's not that." Seohyun tips her head a little. "But I will try to remember what it was." She turns away, still staring. Then she tells the other prisoners, "And your names?" She starts walking along the line.

"Kim Sunjae," the man says.

"Song Wookyung," the woman says.

"Kim Yuhyo," the other woman says.

Seohyun stops at the end of the line. She turns around to look at them. "Yes," she says. "I hope that you understand. I can not let any of you free right now. Not until I am absolutely certain of your identity."
 




Interior, grated windows.

A man in a black uniform asks Kim Sunjae, "When did you meet Jung."

"In March, or April," Sunjae says, "I can't remember exactly."

"Have you seen her every day?"

"Yes, practically every day. At first only outside. Then we lived in the same cell. But even before that I saw her a lot. Krystal was assigned to delivering food to the cells in this whole place."

"I understand," the officer says. He sits down at his desk. "Please go on."

"Well, those rebels probably suspected that I work for intelligence, but fortunately they had no proof." Sunjae smiles. "And they can't have caught my partner. They would have confronted us or something."

"Yes." The officer looks down. He nods his head. "But let's go back to Jung for a moment."

Kim Sunjae raises his eyebrows.

The officer says, "Can you say, with all certainty, that between March, or let's even say between April this year, and December when our forces captured that town, that during this time Jung has not left the prison?"

Sunjae looks down, then to the side. He looks at the officer. "I can swear."
 




Seohyun is facing the window. "So it all started when you made a joke in a restaurant," she says. She turns around. "Is that right?"

"I was drunk," Kim Yuhyo says. "It wasn't even a joke. I just said I'm sure the rumors are true, and that the owner of the restaurant is a conspirator. They took me away the same night. And well," she says. "It's not like I was the only one."

Seohyun says, "Your family is coming today. If the cross examination is successful..."

Yuhyo smiles. "Then I have nothing to worry about."

"Now, I have one more question for you." Seohyun keeps looking at her. "Please think carefully about your answer. This is really important to us." She walks up to Yuhyo. "You said that you were taken away in July, right?"

"Yes."

"Did you see Jung? Back then?"

"Oh, yes, of course." Yuhyo shrugs. "I was even in the same cell with her a lot of the time. We were all worried about her actually, she spent hours in their interrogation room every single day, and nobody really knew what exactly they wanted." They keep looking at each other. Yuhyo laughs a little. "She even said a few times, like for example they would make her talk all day about her aunt's reumatism. Things like that."

"Haven't you noticed some..." Seohyun says, "Some change in her?"

Yuhyo looks down. She frowns. She looks at Seohyun. She finally says, "Ahh, so you think she might have broken down? During their questioning?"

Seohyun walks away to the window again. "Maybe," she says.

"No," Yuhyo says. "Jung was always tough. Her honest beliefs have helped us survive. She always believed, both in our Leader and in our victory," Yuhyo says. "And well, it was her, she attacked the guard and made our escape possible."
 




Portrait of the Leader on the wall.

Seohyun looks somewhere. Hyoyeon is standing right next to her, saying, "We had to get this folder delivered from the central archives all the way in Westhill." Seohyun blinks. She looks at Hyoyeon. Hyoyeon is smiling. "I never imagined it might be needed again. It never crossed my mind I would meet the person who was the victim of that damn mafia imposter."

They're both looking down. Down at the floor.

Seohyun says, "Unbelievable." She glances at Hyoyeon, Hyoyeon is smiling at her. She looks down again. "It's really unbelievable."

Somebody is knocking on the door.

They look at each other, then towards the door.

Hyoyeon touches Seohyun's arm. She whispers, "Let's see how she reacts when she sees me." She moves towards the door.

"Come in," Seohyun says.

A soldier opens the door, Hyoyeon is leaning back against the wall, hidden behind it.

Yoona walks in, the door closes behind her.

She's looking at Seohyun. They're not saying anything.

Hyoyeon is watching her from behind. Then she smiles and says, "Jung!"

Yoona turns around, she looks at Hyoyeon.

Hyoyeon stops smiling.

Yoona says, "Yes?"

Hyoyeon blinks a few times. She frowns. Then she says, "Side profile," she waves her hand in the air.

Yoona is not responding.

Hyoyeon shouts, "Stand sideways!"

Yoona turns around to Seohyun. She says, "Excuse me Chief Commissioner, but I am an Armed Police officer. And I can not recall being on drinking buddy terms with this lady!"

Hyoyeon smiles behind Yoona, she walks up to her. They look at each other.

Hyoyeon says, "My apologies."

Seohyun smirks. Then she steps forward, saying, "I think we can show miss Jung the folder of the rebel agent that we have caught a few months ago."

"I'm not sure you know this agent's name," Hyoyeon says and keeps smiling.

Yoona shrugs. "How could I know?"

Seohyun shows her the folder.

Yoona frowns. She grabs it and opens it.

Seohyun says, "Do you have a sister?" Yoona runs through the pages in the folder. "A twin sister. Or maybe you know somebody who looks really similar to you."

"I think..." Yoona says. "I think I'm beginning to understand." She closes the folder. "Somebody stole my name." She nods her head. "Yes, now I understand, I finally understand everything. Those neverending interrogations... They told me to describe my entire life in tiniest detail!"

Hyoyeon and Seohyun aren't saying anything.

Yoona is breathing fast. She says, "It's horrible."

"Please don't be agitated," Seohyun says. "The perfidy of the mafia is something we have come to know very well."

Yoona says, "But you do believe me, I hope?"

Seohyun looks at Yoona. Then at Hyoyeon. "Yes," she says. "We believe you." She glances at Yoona and says, "You see, we can not be deceived. We have this special..." she looks down and pouts. Then they look at each other with Hyoyeon and they both smile. "We have this special device, to detect lies. The best lie detector in the entire world." Seohyun looks at Yoona. "It is called NSS."

Yoona takes a moment to answer. She says, "This is my only hope." She pauses again. She says, "Immediately after my case is closed please send me directly to the front line. The rebels must answer for..."

"All right Jung," Seohyun says. "But for now, please go back to your quarters." She takes the folder from Yoona's hands. "Oh, and even before that." She puts her arm around Yoona. "Please sit down." She leads her to the desk. "Here, please."

Yoona sits down at the desk. Seohyun gives her a piece of paper.

"Please write," Seohyun says. Yoona is looking at her. Seohyun grabs a slip of paper and reads, "You win, Kim." Yoona keeps looking. Seohyun gestures to the desk, saying, "Please, go ahead."

Yoona grabs the pen. She leans over the desk and starts writing.

"I am glad," Seohyun reads, "that I was able to obstruct you just a little bit." Yoona keeps writing. "I did it all for my family, my mafia family. Krystal Jung."

Yoona stands up, she slams the pen on the table. "I will not sign this," she shouts.

Seohyun and Hyoyeon both look at her.

Seohyun puts her arm around Yoona, saying, "Relax, Jung." She smiles. "It's just a formality. Your doppelganger left us her card."

Yoona looks at the slip of paper in Seohyun's hands.

Seohyun says, "There's absolutely no need to worry. We have terrific forensic handwriting examiners." Yoona looks at Hyoyeon. Seohyun keeps smiling. "Please," she taps her hand on the desk.

Yoona sits down again. She signs the document.

"All right," Seohyun says, "you may go."

Yoona stands up, she walks out.

Seohyun closes the door behind her. She looks at the two papers and pouts. Hyoyeon is watching her.

"In my opinion," Seohyun says. "Hmmm... They're different." Hyoyeon frowns. "No, they're definitely different."

Hyoyeon says, "I am sorry, Chief Commissioner, but..." Seohyun looks at her. "Neither of us are experts on handwriting. We should let our specialists do their work."
 




Interior, an elderly man is playing solitaire on a table. His knees are covered with a blanket.

Somebody knocks at the door.

"One second," the man says.

The knocking continues.

The man walks up to the door and opens.

Two officers in black uniforms enter. One of them says, "Professor Jung?"

"Yes," the man says.

"Get dressed please," the officer says. "You will go with us to the capital."

"What?" the man says, "This must be a mistake. I am a judge in the..."

"This is an order," the officer says.
 




Yoona is sitting on a chair, she's covered with a white cloth. The hairdresser approaches.

"Not good," Yoona mutters. "They're still keeping an eye on me, but that's not the problem. They took a sample of my handwriting."

"And?" the hairdresser asks. She runs her fingers through Yoona's hair and looks in the mirror.

"I left them a note. That previous time. If their experts..."

The hairdresser grabs Yoona's face. She pulls her chin up. "Keep your head up," she says. "I will let aunt Sue know."
 




Interior, decorated furniture. A long, white table with many chairs.

An elderly man pacing across the room, this way and that.

"It's lunacy," he says.

Krystal's interrogator stands by the door, looking down.

The man continues. "It's absolute lunacy," he says. "They have experts and those experts will find out." The man puts his hand on the table. "They will find out, do you understand? I want to know who decided to do this. Who is responsible."

"It..." the interrogator says. "It was her own decision. And s-surely those guys over there must be convinced that, uhh, that our agent is dead. And that this is the real Krystal Jung."

"But who let her go? Who?" The man slams his fist on the table. "Now if those examiners do their job well my granddaughter..."

"W-we will send our people over there, sir, we are trying to reach them right now. We will do everything we can."
 




Seohyun's office. Twilight. A desk lamp is pointed at Yoona's face.

Seohyun walks over to the desk, she leans down on it, smiling. She looks at Yoona's face, saying, "I am sorry Jung." She says, "We had to."

There is sweat on Yoona's brow. She says, "I hope that was the last questioning."

"Yes, I believe you," Seohyun says. "We have all believed you." She smiles again. She points to the pack of cigarettes lying on the desk. "If you smoke you may now do so."

Seohyun walks over to the door and turns on the lights in the room. She makes sure Yoona isn't looking.

She knocks on her own door and says, "Come in." She opens the door.

Judge Jung walks inside followed by Hyoyeon.

Seohyun and Hyoyeon are watching.

Judge Jung turns to look at Yoona.

Yoona is lighting a cigarette. She puts the match in the ashtray. She turns around.

She looks at Judge Jung for a second. She grabs the chair, stands up. "Uncle?" she mumbles. "Uncle Songmin?"

Judge Jung smiles. Yoona runs up to him, she throws her arms around him.

Judge Jung looks at her. "Krystal," he says. "Krystal."

Hyoyeon and Seohyun glance at each other. They smile.
 




Train station.

Lee Chaerin strolls down the platform, leather trenchcoat, black hat.

A man in a uniform grabs her shoulder. She stops and looks at him.

The man says, "Documents."

They stop by a newsstand. The man opens Chaerin's ID, he looks at the picture. Then at Chaerin.

He looks around and then whispers, "Doctor Park lives in South Avenue 38, appartment 18. Second floor."

Chaerin nods her head.

"Between one and three PM there should be nobody home."

"Does the doc..." Chaerin says. The man looks at her. Chaerin lowers her voice. "So what do we want, an ambulance? Maybe a hearse?"

The man says, "We want his signature."

Chaerin smirks. She grabs her ID.
 




Seohyun's office. Two coffee cups on the desk. Two empty glasses.

Hyoyeon sitting by the desk watches Seohyun opening a bottle.

Seohyun says, "For me, the case is crystal clear. The testimony of Jung Songmin," she pours two drinks, "was the last piece to the puzzle." She sits down.

Hyoyeon sighs. She grabs her glass, smiling. She says, "They haven't seen each other for six years."

Seohyun reclines back in her chair. "I appreciate your alertness," she says, then raises her glass, "Deputy Commissioner Kim."

Hyoyeon smiles and bows her head.

Seohyun says, "But aren't you taking this too far?" Hyoyeon stops smiling. "I don't mean the fact that Jung Songmin has recognized his niece, but rather that Krystal has recognized her uncle."

"Well," Hyoyeon says. She raises her glass. "Well it's not out of the question that their intelligence..." She looks at Seohyun. "And we do know by now that they have an organized and able intelligence service." She takes a sip from the glass. "It's not out of the question that they found photographs of Krystal Jung's family."

"Yes, of course, of course," Seohyun says. "And I doubt those gangsters would be dumb enough to just send us an exposed agent anyway."

Hyoyeon laughs.

Seohyun says, "Well this way or another..."

Somebody knocks on the door. They both look at it.

Seohyun says, "Come in."

A soldier opens the door and walks inside. He stands at attention, holding an envelope.

"I told you I'm busy," Seohyun says.

"The answer from doctor Park has arrived," the soldier says.

Seohyun gets up, she walks up to him and grabs the envelope.

She says, "Get Jung over here."

The soldier snaps his heels together and turns around. He walks out.

Seohyun opens the envelope.
 




The soldier leads Yoona down the corridor. He opens the door, Yoona enters Seohyun's office.

Seohyun and Hyoyeon both look at her. They put their glasses down on the table. Hyoyeon gets up.

"Yes Jung," she says and walks up to Yoona. "There is no way to change your handwriting." Seohyun gets up from her chair. "It would betray anybody."

Yoona keeps looking at them.

Hyoyeon walks up closer. She says, "Congratulations, Jung." She reaches her hand out. "Sincere congratulations." Yoona shakes her hand. Hyoyeon puts her arm on Yoona's shoulder, saying, "The dependable doctor Park has decided."

Yoona smiles. She says, "I had no doubts whatsoever."

Seohyun comes up to Yoona, she gives her a full glass. "Please accept my congratulations too." They look at each other. "As soon as this evening, we will file a motion for you to get your officer's rank back. And, we will take care of your wish to be transferred to the front as well."

"I will do everything," Yoona says, "to clear my name of the disgrace."

"Actually," Seohyun says. "Your knowledge of the ways of our enemies." She looks Yoona up and down. "Their slang, their relationships and the whole situation over there." She looks at Hyoyeon and smiles. "We could benefit a lot from that."

Yoona says, "There are many ways to serve one's homeland."

They raise their glasses.
 




A knock on the door.

"Come in," Yoona's grandfather says.

The mafia interrogator enters. He says, "Sir, allow me to report..."

"Just say it."

The man smiles. "YNG7 is broadcasting once again."