First Date

First Loves and Dying Breaths
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The buzz on her phone dissipates her longing. She stares at Jimin’s message and almost squeals in delight. He agrees to go for coffee on the Saturday, provided that he picks the place. Jennie clutches her phone as she swiftly begins to type.                   

            “Did you hear me?”

“Huh?” Jennie quickly glances up from the desk. Dr. Park quirks a fine brow, his aquiline nose giving him a haughty impression of a man who wishes the guillotine for her. Jennie hopes her hand hides her phone. “Sorry Dr. Park.”

            From the corner of the room, Seokjin shoots her a dramatic glare with a clench of his jaw and a worrisome furrow of his eyebrows. Jennie flinches, hoping her face is not as red as the Dr. Park’s burgundy tie.

            “I asked a question about the scan here.”

She stares the film, hypnotized. It surely is a mystery why a tumour could creep up in any region of the brain. Again, her mind wracks for answers, and she tells him the correct position. Dr. Park almost grunts, sorely disappointed that she evades yet another opportunity from his claws of death.

            “Correct,” he says, without a smile or a twinkle in his round eyes.

That calls Jennie’s day to an end. Finally, she can focus on the weekend and decide what to wear when she goes to meet Jimin. The first thing she ought to do, is ring Jisoo and tell her about the imminent date.

            “See you on Monday, Seokjin,” says Jennie.

“Yeah whatever,” he says. He turns swiftly the other way, and struts off in such a way that it gives Jennie second-hand embarrassment

            “Freaky Fish Guy,” she whispers, grinning to herself.

She brushes off his sardonic behavior and proceeds to text Jisoo. There are many things to discuss. Her outfit would be start. Indeed, Jennie spends the rest of the evening perusing her wardrobe. She throws her clothes to the floor, one after another. She counts up to thirty outfits.

            “I’ve got nothing to wear!” she screams, stomping her feet and pulling at her hair like a madwoman.

“Calm down woman!” Jisoo tells her from the end of the phone. “Tell me do you have red?”

            Jennie guffaws. “Why red?”

“Look, take my word of advice.”

            Says the strange nerd that chases after butterflies and believes in poltergeists…

In any case, she takes Jisoo’s word and finally prepares her outfit. The rest of the night, Jennies uses a clay mask to leave her skin smooth and supple. She washes her hair with a chocolate scented perfume. Everything is set in motion.

            Everything except her ability to fall asleep. Jennie usually sleeps in the blink of an eye, but that night, she is overcome with anxiety. She twists and turns on her bed, and before she knows it the sun rises.

            Jennie curses under her breath. She wakes up, tired and exhausted. Her reflection shows her the sleep-deprived darkness under her eyes and an emerging pimple on her chin. “Darn it!”

            Thank goodness for make-up. That does wonders to a woman’s beauty. She transforms from an ugly maid into a confident princess. Jennies opts for Jisoo’s outfit: a red turtleneck ribbed jumper, and black jeans. She throws on a red leather jacket to finish the outfit. Her hair is straightened and she adds a bit of eye-liner to accentuate her eyes.

            Besides, Jimin likes her eyes.

 

 

The café fills with throngs of friends and couples. Jennie taps her foot. Her heart thumps against her ribcage. Her palms are sweaty. She tries to come up with many scenarios and how she would greet Jimin once he arrives.

            “Hey.”

Jennie sits up straight and opens . However, the sight before her leaves her breathless and stuttering.

            Jimin smiles in all his sunshine, cotton-candy and lollipop glory. He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter