Misfortune

First Loves and Dying Breaths
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie gasps for breath as she enters the clinic. Her mind tries to recall where Dr. Park’s clinic is supposed to be. Nurses stroll by, occasionally sending her a pitiful glance. Patients sit in the waiting area, fiddling with their phones in anticipation of what is to come. Jennie found her classmate, Taehyung walking with his team. The boy sends her his wide, boxy grin.

Jennie rolls her eyes. She could ring Dr. Park’s junior resident again, but that would force her deeper into the mess. She taps her head as if that should fertilize an idea that would help her out.

Maybe it was Clinic B, she thinks. Yes, it was probably Clinic B.

Taking a deep breath, she struts to Clinic B. She ignores the wandering gazes sent her way and searches for a doctor. There is no sign of any. That is obvious; she’s late anyway. Jennie stops before a nurse who searches throw a trolley of medical charts.

“Excuse me, but where is the consultant?”

The nurse stares at her swiftly. “Could you talk to Jongin please? He’s just around the corner in the Inspection Room.”

Jennie nods. Odd…that name is very familiar. Then again, most people are call themselves Jongin as it is a popular name. She steers around the corner and finds the little room with the tiny bed and some medical equipment to measure weights and take blood. There is a tall junior resident inside, reading through a medical chart.

His thick hair is set back with gel, and the fresh scent of expensive cologne wafts off him. Jennie wonders if he is Dr. Park’s resident.

“Excuse me, I’m so sorry I’m late.” She gives him a quick bow, catching the Chanel symbol on his manicured brogues. Wow. Doctors are really rolling in luxury. Her dad is right about that.

Her eyes meet Jongin’s, and she freezes in her spot. As she expects, his expression sours into a shocked one, sharp features contorting with surprise and uncertainty. It takes her a while to recall where she had seen his face before.

A dating app!

Jennie had texted him in the past, and things got busy so she ghosted him. She deleted the app soon after. From the salient shock on Jongin’s face, she knows that he remembers her. Besides, she is one of those people that look the same in real life as they do in photos. As for Jongin, he is strangely more handsome than the photos he shared on the dating app.

“Umh…” he coughs, messing wih his navy tie. “Sorry, what’s your name?”

Awkward. He already knows her name. But Jennie appreciates that he’s pretending they are stangers. Technically they are, but still…

“Jennie. Jennie Kim.”

“Ah yes. Okay. Cool.” His brows furrow. He avoids meeting her expectant gaze. “Actually, you’re not on our team. Are you meant to be in Orthopedics?”

“Umh, no actually.” Jennie frowns, but anxiety whirls in her stomach. “I’m with neurosurgery.”

“Ah okay!” He points his pen at her as if gesticulating his thoughts. “Then you’re with Seokjin. He’s in Clinic A.”

Jennie groans, holding her hand in her hands. “Oh, I bet they’re gonna kill me.”

To her dismay, Jongin chuckles. “Hey, they’re not so bad. I’ll bring you over. Come on.”

She thanks him as he leads her to Clinic A.

“This your first time in a neurosurgery placement?”

She nods. “Yes, I’m a bit bummed that I didn’t get into dermatology. I prefer lighter things. The brain freaks me out.” Jennie shudders as she remembers anatomy class. The brain is a magnificent thing, but she would rather avoid poking around it.

Please…this is so awkward…

“Should have applied for an ortho placement instead.” He eyes her up and down. “Although, it’s probably better for someone…stronger to apply.”

Jennie grits her teeth. “Are you telling me that I look weak?”

His ears turn a bright pink colour, shining against

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter