Ten Years Later

The Last Summer of the Boys

Johnny arrived home from work at five in the afternoon, all six of his and Taeil's cats giving him a glare before going back to whatever they were doing before. He could hear the sound of gentle piano wafting through the windows and walls and Johnny smiled, making his way to the back of the house. 

Inside he found his tiny husband sitting at the computer, creating the next beautiful song. 

"Hi," he said sheepishly. "Didn't hear you come in." 

"Hello darling," Johnny answered, kissing the top of Taeil's head. 

"How was work?" 

Johnny shrugged. "The kids are adorable, as always." 

"I don't know how they don't get on your nerves." 

"I am a kindergarten teacher. I signed up for this ." 

"How's Sicheng?" Taeil asked. Sicheng happened to be the other kindergarten teacher at the same school as Johnny. 

"Actually, he and Yuta are picking up their kid today." 

"Yes!" Taeil cried. "More babysitting gigs!" As Johnny and Taeil decided to have a family of cat babies instead of human babies, they had become the designated babysitters for their friend's kids. 

Johnny leaned down to peck his husband's lips. "I can't wait." 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey kiddo!" Taeyong said affectionately, ruffling his son's hair. "Are you ready?" 

"Yes papa!" Louis answered, carrying a big suitcase in his tiny hands. Ten and Taeyong's youngest son, Louis, had just turned five. Now that it was June, that meant it was time for his first summer at Camp Purple. They lived far away that they would have to make a multiple day road trip of it, but it was worth it. 

"I'll take care of him I promise daddy," Tommy, their eight year old, said firmly to Ten. 

Ten kissed his son's head. "I know you will. You always take care of Louis." 

"That's my job! I'm the big brother!" Tommy answered, hoisting his and Louis' luggage into the trunk of their car. Ten and Taeyong watched on as their kids babbled with a smile. 

"Why are our lives so ing perfect?" Ten whispered so the kids wouldn't hear. 

"I know. We got so lucky. But...I'll miss them so much..." Taeyong said, looking down at the ground in utter sadness. 

"But you know what? It's been about eight years since we've had any alone time," Ten mumbled with a smirk. 

Taeyong grinned and winked at his husband at that, and turned to the kids. "Alright, time to go!" 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh my god," Sicheng mumbled shakily. He and Yuta were at the state house, holding hands tightly as they waited. It had been a long process, but finally they were ready to take their daughter home. 

"It's gonna be amazing," Yuta said softly, squeezing his husband's hand. "I took a month off of my forensic scientiest job. We can just be with her and each other." 

Just then the state ward turned the corner, carrying a little girl in her arms. Yuta and Sicheng immediately teared up at the sight, and the ward smiled at them. 

"Say hello to Bella," she said, the two men cooing over their little girl. 

"Hi Bella," Sicheng said. Yuta was crying too hard to even speak. 

The one year old girl seemed antsy but happy as the couple played with her. And when the state ward eventually passed Bella into Yuta's arms she immediately calmed down, snuggling into his chest. 

"Congratulations," she spoke softly as Bella's eyes began to flutter closed, her head on Yuta's chest and Sicheng's hands petting her hair. 

"She's gonna to have a childhood nothing like mine: the best ever," Sicheng mumbled. 

~~~~~~~~~~

"No we have to deliver it at 9:30 am! Not 7:30 am!" Xiaojun cried. 

"Are you kidding? That is after the camp opens!" Kun yelled back. 

"But the campers haven't even arrived yet! It's just for the counselors!" 

"How the hell are we still dating?" 

At Kun's outburst, Xiaojun's angry expression turned into a chuckle. Slowly, Kun smiled back at him until the couple were giggling loudly with each other, just standing in the middle of that big semi truck full of fruit. 

To both of their surprise, the pair had actually hit it off when they got back to school. Xiaojun had been right, he was Kun's future boyfriend, and within a month they were together. And ten years later, they were still together, occasionally to both of their chagrin. 

But usually it was like this. They had taken over Xiaojun's father's delivery business, running it happily together. Bickering was their thing. They would be alright. 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Hi love," Doyoung spoke to his husband, stepping into his office. 

"Hi," Jaehyun answered. "How were your kids?" 

Doyoung sighed. "Didn't do the assigned reading. So...same as usual." They pulled out their matching lunches and began eating. This was the perk of working at the same high school (Jaehyun as the counselor, Doyoung as an english teacher): they could have their lunches together. 

Jaehyun sighed deeply. "I got another love note." 

"Another?" Doyoung cried before sighing. "I got one last week." 

One of the downsides of working at a high school is that them, being the youngest and most attractive teachers, got a lot of attention from the students. 

"What do you think the student body will do when they find out we're married?" Jaehyun asked with a chuckle; they'd decided to keep their relationship a secret, as a fun little game. 

"Be very confused, probably," Doyoung answered.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Yuta and Sicheng are getting their adopted kid today," Yukhei said, putting on his exercise clothes and sparing a brief glance at his phone. 

"No more surrogates in our group I guess," Jungwoo answered, a toddler in both of his arms. "They must have learned their lesson from us." 

Three years ago, Yukhei and Jungwoo had decided they wanted a kid, so they had hired a surrogate. But by complete accident the mother had gotten pregnant with quintuplets. Jungwoo and Yukhei couldn't bear to let any of them go, so now here they were, three years later, with five kids. Jungwoo had to quit his job and become a stay at home dad, but they loved it, no matter how chaotic the house was. 

Yukhei looked around at the mess on the floor, grabbing his keys and phone to go out to his job as a personal trainer. "Why don't you text Johnny and Taeil to see when they can take the kids?" 

~~~~~~~~~~

Jeno and Jaemin, although far from their high school days, were leaving such a building in Jaemin's car. 

"I think we did well, right?" 

"Right." 

The two had built a career out of their worst conflict: they worked as part of a youth education group, giving teens ed and discussing abstinence and readiness. Their decision to wait had changed everything, made everything better, and they hoped they could help young people as much as they had helped themselves. They always liked taking things slow: they weren't married, didn't have any kids, and were just debating even getting a dog. But they were still together. And everything felt just right. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Far away in a high rise in New York City, Donghyuck was just coming home from work. Only it wasn't the late afternoon, it was one in the morning. But Mark was still up. 

"Hey love," Mark said groggily, looking up from his laptop and scattered papers. 

"Still writing?" Donghyuck asked, kissing his husband's cheek. 

"Yep. I dunno how I'm going to top the last play." 

"Cast me!" Donghyuck cried, holding Mark tight. 

As soon as college was over, Mark and Donghyuck had moved to New York City, fulfilling their respective dreams of writing for Broadway (Mark) and being on Broadway (Donghyuck). Everyone had laughed at them but somehow, they had both been successful. They were truly living the dream. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Jisung and Donghyuck always got home from work at the same time, but going to different apartments in the same building. Like Donghyuck and Mark, Chenle and Jisung worked on Broadway too, although Chenle was a vocal coach and Jisung was a choreographer. 

"Hi love," Jisung said, throwing open the door and looking around. He looked down at the floor, confused out of his mind, when he saw his boyfriend kneeling there. He chuckled. "Wh-what are you doing?" 

With a nervous look in his eyes Chenle pulled a box out of his pocket, opening it to reveal a simple silver band. 

"Jisung, will you marry me?" 

Jisung threw all thoughts from his mind; the weirdness of proposing at one am in their messy apartments with no fanfare, and just smiled. It was so damn Chenle and all he could do was lean down and peck his boyfriend, no, fiance, on the lips. 

"Of course...of course." 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Who's gonna pick that up?" Yangyang asked, pointing to an abandoned can on the ground. 

Hendery scoffed. "You." Yangyang rolled his eyes and stuffed it into his pocket. "Still haven't gotten rid of your rich boy ways." 

"You should be thankful for my rich boy ways! Where would Camp Purple be without it?" 

Hendery sighed. "True." 

The pair were actually at Camp Purple, walking hand in hand between the cabins and the grass, late at night. Five years ago the owners of Camp Purple, two former hippies, had gotten too old to run the camp and decided to retire. Nobody wanted to buy the camp and it was about to go out of business until Yangyang swooped in and spent most of his trust fund to buy the place. Now they owned it (Hendery by proximity of being Yangyang's boyfriend), just checking it out before camp started the next day. They shared a smile. This place meant so much to them; it was where they fell in love, where their best friends fell in love. Now it was theirs forever, safe forever, for more kids to find friendship and love until the end of time. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: and...there it is! Wow. I cannot believe this whole trilogy is officially done. I've worked so hard on it and it's weird yet cool to think it's really, truly complete! Thank you so, so, so much to everyone who read, commented, subscribed, etc. You all mean the world to me and truly keep me going as a writer. I truly love and appreciate you all. 

Quick note about the text: a lot of people asked me about jeno's uality, aka whether he was ace or just not ready. I decided to leave the ending ambiguous bc I think both scenarios deserve representation, and it's really up to your interpretation as the reader. I hope that's satisfying enough~!

What's next for me as an author? Many things! To start, I saw a comment asking to see what would happen when mark's friends finally realized donghyuck was real and not made up and...i wrote a tiny little one shot of it! You can find that here or on my ao3. 

The next story I'm going to write is a edited repost from another account of mine, about the dreamies having a wild summer together in the summer before college. You can find that here or on my ao3

I'm also going to be writing a couple oneshots, so keep an eye out for those! I won't spoil to much but there will definitely be a nomin, a kunten, and a dojae! 

Thank you all so much again for taking this journey with me. I love you all so much and can't wait to see you on the next story!

Love, 

RainbowDonkeys