Welcome Back, Welcome Home

The Last Summer of the Boys

Doyoung and Jaehyun were finally done setting up camp. Now they could take a moment, silent as they sat around the dining hall, waiting for everyone else to arrive. 

After all of these years, they were running the summer camp, together, that they had spent so much time at as teenagers. It had been a while since they had all been back; as they all stopped going once the oldest in their group couldn't be campers anymore. They had waited so long for everyone to be able to be a counselor, and now that summer was finally here. It felt a bit surreal. 

"God I missed this place," Jaehyun said softly, reaching for Doyoung's hand.

"Me too," Doyoung answered, looking around at the faded walls and the ugly plastic tablecloths that had once been so familiar. Luckily the two of them could take this time to reminisce. Since they went to college together during the school year, they had been able to prepare most stuff at college. Everything else had been done in the early morning here at camp, driving down at five in the morning to get everything ready. 

"And we're the directors too," Doyoung added worriedly. "Do you think we'll do a good job?" 

"Of course. I mean, who else is responsible enough to run a whole camp?" 

Doyoung smiled. "True." 

"Anyone in here?" A friendly voice shouted. Doyoung and Jaehyun immediately grinned. 

"Johnny! Taeil!" They yelled, the four boys running to hug each other tightly. 

"It's been way too long," Doyoung said.

"It has!" Taeil answered. They pulled away to look each other over; after all they hadn't seen each other since their high school years, and now all of them were in college. Doyoung and Jaehyun shared a smile; Johnny, who was already a giant, had somehow grown taller, while Taeil remained the same height. 

Noticing their giggles, Taeil pouted. "I know I'm still short, please don't rub it in. Dating Johnny is a reminder enough." 

Everyone burst out laughing, Doyoung and Jaehyun beckoning them to sit down at those old tables. 

"How have you been? What have you both been up to?" Jaehyun asked. 

"We've been going to college together, after this summer we'll start our last year," Johnny explained. 

"What's your majors?" Jaehyun asked. 

"I'm doing education, and he's a music theory major," Johnny answered. "We got an apartment together a couple years ago-"

"Oh, we're getting an apartment together in the fall too! How is it?" Doyoung asked. 

"Oh my god, so much better than the stupid dorms," Taeil explained. 

"The privacy is so nice, if you know what I mean," Johnny added. 

"Yes. That," Taeil agreed. "But really we got it so we could have pets." 

"Jeffery and Fluff-Fluff!" Johnny cried, whipping out his phone so he could show Doyoung and Jaehyun photos.

"Our cats. This is the first time we'll be away from them for more than a few days. We left them at a friend's but I'm honestly a bit worried." 

"I miss them already," Johnny spoke forlornly. 

Doyoung and Jaehyun shared a look. 

"Anyways, what about you guys? So you're getting an apartment in the fall?" Taeil asked. 

"Yeah," Jaehyun said proudly. "We go to school together too. He's an english lit major and I'm in for human resources." 

"Someone had to be the practical one," Doyoung added. 

"Eeee!" A loud voice screamed. The four boys turned to look at the door when suddenly, a large person toppled them into a giant hug. 

Doyoung pulled away from the hug to look this person over. "Chenle?" He spoke with surprise. 

"Hi guys! Omigosh I missed you all so much!" He yelled. 

"We did too," Jaehyun answered affectionately. "How old are you now?" 

"Seventeen! Gonna be a senior this fall!" 

"Is this the right place?" A quiet voice spoke up, and everyone else looked up. 

"Jisung!" Chenle screamed, running over to him. He looked like he was about to hug him until he stopped himself in his tracks, a bit of pink dusting his cheeks. 

"H-Hi Chenle," Jisung said shyly. "I missed you a lot..." 

"I missed you too!" Chenle answered, and Doyoung could see the hesitation in his eyes. 

"Are they still not..." Jaehyun whispered before Jisung poked his head around. 

"Hi guys! Wow, you all look exactly the same," he said. Taeil glowered. 

"You...you do not. How old are you now?" Johnny asked. 

"Sixteen," Jisung answered with a smile. 

"Come back here you two," Doyoung said with a smile, and Chenle and Jisung raced over. 

"You both look so grown up," Taeil commented, and the others voiced their agreements. 

"Oh my god stop!" Chenle whined and giggled. 

"You guys are still so embarrassing," Jisung added. 

"So, where's our cabin? Aren't Jisung and I in the big group this year?" Chenle asked. 

Doyoung and Jaehyun shared a smile. "So...we thought it would be weird if some of us were campers and others were counselors. We didn't want anyone thinking we were playing favorites," Doyoung started. 

"We needed some more staff anyways, so we just thought you guys could... be counselors too. Now I know it's technically against the rules, but the camp has the money to pay you guys a little bit under the table, and no one would have to know. Does that sound good to you?" Jaehyun asked. 

Chenle and Jisung shared bright smiles. "That's perfect!" Chenle said. 

"Yeah, gonna make some money," Jisung added quietly. 

Suddenly, their ears all perked up as they heard voices coming from outside of the dining hall. 

"Who is it?" Chenle asked. 

"Guess who's back bitches?" A loud voice suddenly yelled. 

"Hell yeah!" A slightly less loud voice added, followed by incessant giggles. 

Johnny's face fell. "Donghyuck and Mark." 

"Woo!" They both yelled, walking into the dining hall hand in hand. 

"Quite the entrace," Doyoung commented. 

"Would I have any other way?" Donghyuck answered. They shared a smile, and everyone leapt up to give them hugs. 

"How are you guys? Did you come together?" Taeil asked.

"No, but we got here at the same time," Mark answered. 

"We spared you guys the lovey-dovey reunion and just did it in the parking lot," Donghyuck added. "And we are great! I'm finally fucking done with high school!" 

"He's coming to my college!" Mark said with pure joy. 

"No more long distance!" Donghyuck cheered. 

"Wooo!" A loud voice screamed, and everyone fell silent and turned to look at the door. Yukhei's massive frame stood there, a pout on his lips. "I thought we were all screaming." 

"Yukhei!" Chenle yelled in his loud voice, and he came into the hall to give everyone a tight hug. 

"How are you?" Mark asked. 

"Pretty good. Just doing my health and fitness major, on the football team, chilling with my frat." 

"Are you excited to see Jungwoo?" Jisung asked with a sly smile. At that Yukhei's face fell completely, and everyone looked around worriedly. 

"Actually we broke up..." he said, uncharacteristically quietly. Doyoung was about to ask more when he heard another person step into the dining hall. 

"What's up guys?" 

"Yuta!" Everyone cried, and he ran over to give everyone a loving hug. 

"How are you?" Doyoung asked. 

"Ah, same old same old," he answered, and everyone looked around. There was a question on their minds that none of them wanted to ask. But they had to. 

"Do...do you know if Sicheng's coming?" Donghyuck finally asked in a low voice.

Yuta sighed deeply. It had been three years since Sicheng had simply disappeared. He stopped responding to texts and calls and even letters; he didn't even open them. Nobody knew what had happened or where he was.

"No," Yuta answered with another sigh. "I know I'd be the person to know, but he hasn't spoken to me either. I've done everything short of marching to his house and asking him where he is." 

"We invited him to come... we're okay in terms of staffing if he doesn't, but....we wanted to leave a place for him," Jaehyun said. At that, Yuta smiled a little bit. 

"Hey guys!" A voice suddenly spoke from the doorway, and everyone looked up and smiled. 

"Jeno!" Donghyuck screamed, and Jeno made a face but laughed. He was about to go and hug everyone when he felt a tap on his shoulder. 

"Baby," a deep voice mumbled. Jeno turned around and his jaw dropped into a smile, looking over his boyfriend of almost five years. 

"Jaemin," he said excitedly before they wrapped each other in a tight hug. 

"It's been so long," Jaemin mumbled. 

"Never again," Jeno answered. "By the way your voice got really deep. I couldn't really tell over facetime..." 

"Do you think it's sexy?" Jaemin asked, pulling away to wink. Jeno stiffened a bit but nodded and smiled. 

"Um, of course Minnie..." 

"Come over and give us a hug!" Doyoung yelled suddenly, the couple laughing and going over to hug their friends. 

"You two are all grown up as well!" Taeil cried.

"We're starting college in the fall," Jeno said proudly. 

"Together," Jaemin added, grabbing Jeno's hand.

"Where are my children?" A voice suddenly bellowed. Everyone turned back to the door to see Taeyong and Ten standing in the doorway.

"Chenle and Jisung!" Ten squealed, following Taeyong's words. "You guys look so grown up!"

"They're in high school now," Johnny spoke proudly. 

"So big and grown up!" Taeyong cried. Jisung and Chenle looked at each other awkwardly.

"Where is my hug?" Ten asked. Jisung and Chenle laughed before running over to give Taeyong and Ten their hugs. 

"I missed you dad," Jisung mumbled before moving away and turning red. "Uh, I mean, Taeyong." 

"You may be in high school now but you're still a cutie," Taeyong answered, ruffling his hair. 

"Okay, but where the hell have you two been?" Yuta finally piped up.

"You two have been almost as bad as Sicheng," Yukhei added, and Yuta looked away uncomfortably. 

"We've answered some calls and texts!" Ten cried. 

"Some," Jaemin mumbled. 

"Well....we've been traveling," Taeyong spoke, and he and Ten shared a sly glance.

"No school?" Doyoung asked. 

Ten laughed. "Hell no!" 

"Who cares now. Just get the fuck over here!" Johnny cried, and everyone shared tight hugs. 

"So nothing has changed at all," a voice that definitely belonged to Renjun said. Without even speaking, Jeno and Jaemin immediately tackled him in a hug. 

"You were supposed to come in with us!" Jeno whined.

"We got here around the same time," Jaemin added. They all stood up and Renjun brushed off his pants. 

"Well, I was dropping my girlfriend off at Camp Pink. You know, the all girl's camp across the lake." 

"Ooh, Renjun's straight, Renjun has a girlfriend, Renjun likes girls," Donghyuck teased, and Renjun gave him a look. 

"How are you still so annoying?" 

"That's my job Injunnie!"

"Just come give us our hugs," Mark interrupted, and he laughed and ran over to give them all hugs. 

"How are you Renjun?" Chenle asked as Renjun found a seat amongst the many people in the dining hall. 

"Pretty good, glad to be out of high school, excited to start college." 

"Is your girlfriend coming to the same one?" Taeyong asked. 

"Yup, and so are these two," he answered, gesturing to Jeno and Jaemin. "Wish me luck." 

"Guess it really does suck being single here," Kun suddenly spoke, standing in the center of all the people in the dining hall. "Nobody even noticed me come in!" 

"Kun!" Everyone yelled, squishing him in a giant hug until he was laughing and screaming at them to get off. 

"I'm excited to be here. It'll be nice to have some fun in my life." 

"Are you in school? What's your major?" Yuta asked. 

"Management," he answered, and Ten made a retching noise. 

"Is everyone here?" Doyoung asked. 

"No. We're missing Jungwoo," Mark said. 

"And Sicheng," Yuta mumbled. 

"Oh that's right," Doyoung responded. 

"Guys, okay, Yukhei and Jungwoo broke up, so when he comes in don't make things awkward," Jaehyun explained. Immediately afterward, they heard the sound of feet crunching on grass, and a little head poked through the doorway. 

"Oh!" Jungwoo spoke in his tiny voice. "Everyone's here!" 

"Jungwoo!" Everyone yelled, squeezing him into hug except for Yukhei, who hung out back at the tables. Doyoung noticed them avoid each other's eyes. 

Once everyone settled down they all sat at the biggest table, crowding around Doyoung and Jaehyun to hear what was about to happen. 

"I guess that's everyone," Jaehyun said softly, but slowly, the noise of panting breaths became louder and louder. Everyone turned around to look at the door, and suddenly, Sicheng came bursting in. 

The dining hall fell silent. Nobody knew what to do, what to say. There was Sicheng, who none of them had heard from in three years, inhaling and exhaling like he'd just run a marathon. Once he caught his breath, he sat up. 

"Yuta," he said softly, immediately running into Yuta's arms. Everyone just watched in shock as Yuta squeezed him tight, no hestitation. 

"What's going on? Where have you been? Are you okay? Why are your clothes so dirty?" Yuta spoke worriedly into Sicheng's ear. 

"I'm okay now," Sicheng said, pulling away from Yuta. "I'll tell you all everything else later. Campers are going to start arriving in a couple hours, right?" 

Doyoung checked his watch. "Yes, but that can w-"

"No, no, it's alright," Sicheng interrupted with a smile. "Give me a hug and then let's get ready." 

Hiding their tears they each give Sicheng a tight hug, welcoming him back. Once they were done Yuta sat Sicheng down next to him, wrapped a protective arm around him, and waited for what was next. 

"Alright guys!" Doyoung spoke up. "We decided everyone's roles in camp a while ago. No switching and no complaining because even though you may not like it, we know what's best for you." 

"Yes, we do," Jaehyun added, shooting Donghyuck a pointed look. He waggled his eyebrows back. 

"Okay, let's start with the age groups! Sicheng's gonna be the five to sevens counselor, Jungwoo will work with eight to nines, Johnny with ten to twelves, Donghyuck with thirteen to fifteens, and Mark with the sixteen to eighteens! Any questions?" Doyoung asked. 

Slowly, Mark raised his hand. "Um, I'm like...barely older than my age group." 

"You'll relate to them better! Moving on," Jaehyun responded. "Next, we have camp caretaking crew! We'll have Kun and Renjun as our camp cooks, and Yuta, Taeyong, and Ten on maintenance!" 

"Yes! I hate kids!" Renjun cried. Kun nodded happily. 

"Sexy shirtless time 24/7!" Ten said, and he and Taeyong high fived. Yuta shrugged but Sicheng smiled to himself. 

"Alright, next up are the, um, other people! We've got Jeno and Jaemin as our lifeguards," Doyoung started, and Jeno and Jaemin shared an overjoyed smile. "Chenle and Jisung running the art shack," he continued, and Chenle and Jisung shared a shy smile. "Taeil will run the store, and Yukhei will be our adventure counselor!" 

"Free ice cream!" Johnny cried. 

"Wait, what's an adventure counselor?" Yukhei asked. 

"Did you make that up to give everyone a job?" Donghyuck added. 

Doyoung and Jaehyun ignored Donghyuck. "The adventure counselor is very important," Doyoung said. "You'll help out age groups when they have activities in nature such as hikes and lake visits that could be dangerous, and the age group counselor needs a bit more help. You can also fill in when people need their breaks, or if any campers don't like their daily activity you can lead them in something else." 

Yukhei thought for a moment before smiling. "Yeah! I'm the substitute!" 

"Alright guys listen up!" Doyoung cried after a panicked peek at his watch. "Campers are coming in two hours! Are we ready to make this the best summer of their lives?" 

"Hell yeah!" Everyone cheered back, and got to work.