goodbye-ish

The Last Summer of the Boys

"Oh Kunnie!" Renjun teased in a sing song voice, and Kun turned to glare at him. 

"What." 

"Today's the day." 

"What day? What are you even talking about? I have no idea," Kun completely and totally lied.

Renjun sighed and rolled his eyes. "It's the last day for the caterers to drop off food, idiot." 

Qian Kun is a lot of things, but one thing he isn't is an idiot. He knew. Oh, he knew starting from a week ago that Xiaojun and his father were dropping off the last of the food two days before camp ended. Kun honestly didn't know how to feel about all of it. On one hand, the public humiliation involved with whatever he had with Xiaojun would be over. No pestering from the other kitchen staff and literally every other counselor and even Xiaojun himself. But on the other hand...there was a reason Xiaojun and his stupid eyebrows made him so flustered, after all. Despite everything, Kun was going to miss him. It was especially rough since all of Xiaojun's flirting and his embarrassment had led to literally nothing. Maybe...maybe the two of them could steal a quick moment, in private, for a proper goodbye. No, no, Kun thought, retracting his idea as just the thought of it literally made him blush. The other boys would surely find them and humiliate them, once again. Even otherwise it was far too scary, and Kun's job when it came to romance was to be afraid. 

"You know what that means, Kun," Yangyang teased, Kun shaking his head and returning to the real world. He began to just ignore his friends and try to organize the kitchen.

"I wonder how it's gonna go," Hendery piped up. "Will there be a gentle, longing look? A soft stolen kiss? Or another very public passionate makeout session?" 

"Wait wait wait wait wait," Kun interrupted, frozen in place. "Another make out session?" 

Yangyang scoffed. "Don't you remember?" Kun continued to look at him in confusion. "Two nights ago when we were all super drunk...the dining hall...him straddling you in the little kid chairs...." 

Renjun, Yangyang, and Hendery could immediately tell Kun didn't remember a second of that, and quickly burst into laughter. 

"You guys aren't making this up, right? Are you guys pranking me?" Kun cried. 

"You really don't remember?" Renjun answered, and Kun slowly slid down onto the ground. 

"I always black out when I drink," Kun whined, and everyone just laughed harder. 

"I'll just say you seemed pretty into it," Yangyang teased. 

"No no no no no no no," Kun mumbled as his friends all cackled around him, just as the kitchen door opened. 

And the voice Kun wanted to hear least and most in that moment spoke. "What's so funny?" Xiaojun asked the kitchen staff, wearing a little smile. Kun could only spare the briefest of glances at him before putting his face back in his palms. 

"He didn't remember you two made out a couple nights ago and we just reminded him now," Renjun explained. 

Xiaojun gasped, fake angrily. "How could you? It was so hot!" 

Kun just groaned loudly. "How did it even happen?" 

Xiaojun scoffed. "Well, that I don't remember." Kun groaned again and Xiaojun walked over to the corner of the room where Kun was crouching on the floor, stretching out a hand for him. "Don't be embarrassed," he spoke, more softly than usual. "From what I can tell your friends do that sort of all the time." 

Kun snorted, managing a smile. "True." He grasped Xiaojun's hand and the shorter boy helped him stand, giving him a blinding smile that made Kun blink. 

"Help me with the boxes?" he asked. 

"Yeah," Kun answered breathlessly. 

It was surprisingly quiet when the two walked out of the kitchen, down to the truck where Xiaojun's dad was settling the boxes of food onto the grassy ground. Kun said a polite hello and with a grunt, the two boys lifted the boxes. Kun was surprised by the silence; he hadn't thought Xiaojun was a quiet person, but it seemed natural. Maybe he didn't know the delivery boy as well as he thought he did. 

"Are you sad to go?" Xiaojun finally spoke up. Maybe Xiaojun was talking about the camp itself, but Kun was sure he knew what Xiaojun was really bringing up. 

"Yeah," Kun admitted, a rare moment of vulnerability. "Especially because nothing...nothing ever really happened. Wait- I take that back. Something did happen. I just can't remember it." 

"I'm with you. I'm ing disappointed." Xiaojun turned to see Kun deflate and quickly shook his head. "Don't blame yourself though, alright? Please don't." 

Kun relaxed just a little at that and the two made their way back into the kitchen, setting the stuff down. Since there were only a few days left of camp they only needed two boxes worth of food. Which was good for Kun's already sore arms, but not good for his heart, as much as he didn't want to admit it. 

Renjun, Yangyang, and Hendery were both watching Kun and Xiaojun from the corner of the room, refusing to come any closer and do their work. Kun sighed; he'd chew them out later. 

"I guess this is goodbye," Kun said with a sad chuckle, staring down at his shoes. 

Xiaojun smiled and immediately the mood was lifted, and Kun cursed himself for being so ing whipped. "I don't know about that. Where do you go to school?" 

"UC Merced, why?" Kun answered quickly. 

Suddenly, Xiaojun's jaw dropped, and he began to laugh. 

"What?" Kun cried in confusion. 

"I go there too." 

Now it was time for Kun's jaw to drop. "No...." 

Xiaojun chuckled. "Yup." 

"Wait, wait, what? This camp is nowhere near UC Merced...and plus, I-I've never seen you around before..." 

"What grade are you in then? I'm gonna be a sophomore next year," Xiaojun explained. 

"Well...I'll be a junior..." 

"So that's why." 

Kun could kind of sort of hear Yangyang, Renjun, and Hendery laughing in the background, but most of his brain was occupied. This was a wrench in his thinking that he absolutely did not imagine was going to happen, and more than anything he was confused. 

"There's no ing way...this can't be..." Kun trailed off. 

"Well it is," Xiaojun said with a smile. 

"It's fate!" Yangyang yelled from the corner. 

"For once that kid is right," Xiaojun spoke. 

Kun just stared at his shoes. 

"You know...now that we're stuck together and all...I think it's time you and I went on a date." 

Now Kun was even more shocked, quickly looking back up at Xiaojun with wide eyes. He spluttered and tripped over his words, nothing understandable coming out of his mouth. 

"Come on Kun, you can't deny at this point it's gotta happen. Why not? I mean, you think I'm y. I think you're y. You're a good kisser, and somewhere in your subconscious you know I'm a good kisser. You like my eyebrows a little too much, I think you're cute and a little uptight but that makes you even more cute. We met at this summer camp that's completely unrelated to our school and started something up having no idea we'd see each other in the fall." Xiaojun sighed. "You're smart, I'm smart-" 

"Xiaojun!" Kun shouted and Xiaojun froze, the two boys facing each other so close they could almost feel each other's breaths on their faces. "Xiaojun you don't have to convince me! I wanna go on a date with you!" 

Just then the kitchen door flew open and everyone turned to see Xiaojun's father awkwardly standing in the doorway. Yangyang, Hendery, and Renjun immediately burst out laughing again. Kun turned a bright red and there was even a slight blush on the tips of Xiaojun's ears. 

"Uh, hey dad," Xiaojun spoke, Kun and him taking a step back from each other. 

"Hello," his dad slowly answered. "I, just, wanted to thank you all for good work this summer and say goodbye. But...I guess you're busy." 

"Sorry, sir," Kun mumbled. 

"Thank you as well for delivering the food! The most important part of a functioning camp," Renjun said, stepping up to the responsible plate as Hendery and Yangyang giggled in the corner. "Hopefully we can work together next summer." 

"I'll be there in a sec," Xiaojun said, and his dad waved goodbye to everyone, going back to the truck. Once he was gone, Xiaojun started feeling around Kun's pants for his phone before pulling it out of his back pocket. 

"What are you doing?" Kun mumbled, a little shell shocked to react any more. Xiaojun typed something in, then handed the phone back to Kun. 

"See you in the fall," he said, throwing Kun a wink and waving goodbye to everyone else before heading out the kitchen door. 

Kun stood, frozen for a moment, before unlocking his phone. He could see that Xiaojun had made himself a contact and called himself to get Kun's number. Kun sighed deeply when he saw Xiaojun had entered his contact name as 'your future boyfriend'. God, Kun was so ed.