Page 8

Directory of Lost Souls | TeukChul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You're quite early today," I say as I push the door open to let her in. She raises her eyebrows twice before flipping her hair. My receiving area was bathed with her usual musky and cool scent. She tries to remove her high heels and I watch as she fumbles with the strap. I take a look at her perfectly sculpted fair legs and smirked.

"You're not doing this on purpose, right?" She clicks one strap off and instantly removes it from her foot before she hardly looks at me with her eyes, squinting.

"Excuse you, Jungsoo. I'm not crossing any line tonight."

She rolls her eyes and heaves out a sigh. I scoot forward and reaches out to the other strap to help her. Her delicate skin still feels like porcelain under my touch. I smile at myself and straightened my body after freeing her poor ankle.

"Ah, so you really are hitting on me sometimes, huh?" I ask amusingly. She laughs and eyes me.

"That's so ancient time, Jungsoo. Get over yourself."

We both laugh and make our way inside the house. I watch her walk to the kitchen, barefooted. She didn't like wearing slippers inside the house even when I reminded her hundred times that the floor is too cold for her feet. She moves gracefully inside my house that I wouldn't even notice anything different if I wake up to her inside my house. I unconsciously run my tongue over my lips. I put my hands in my pocket and lean against the white couch no one occupies on a daily basis.

She turns and suspiciously eyes me with her confused look. She turns her head and looks at every corner of the house.

"Did you just arrive?" I raise one eyebrow at her question.

"Huh, why?"

"It's weird. Are you not playing any song tonight?" She stretches her arms and reaches out for the pan in one of the mounted cabinets. It's crazy how she notices those little things that I do to keep myself entertained especially when I'm alone. It's even crazier that our tastes in music and other things just match like we both came from the same piece. When my friends come over to my house, the songs I play blends with the heartfelt conversations only the confines of myhouse know. I barely realize
it.

"Sora, how do you know… that stuff?" I pick my phone from the center table where I left it before getting the door for her. She scowls and slams her hand over the cold countertop which she instantly regretted after the pain jolts from her hand. I laugh. Out loud.

"Jungsoo, I'm offended!" She remarks. "That stuff kept us talking. How could I not notice?"

I walk toward the nook and sit on one of the stools as I watch her cook the steak. She pours over the cooking oil into the pan and waits for it to heat up. Sora throws the pot holder at me.

"What, do you want me to write it in my diary too?" I shake my head and she starts laughing. She walks to the wine cellar and picks her favorite Sutter Home Pink Moscato. I always make sure that I have her favorite drink and snacks stocked because these little things are what make her genuinely happy. I feel a sense of pride growing in me whenever she smiles
and walks to the fridge or wine cellar acting all giddy. She throws me a look and raises her eyebrow.

"I'll go with that," I reply.

She proudly smiles and her eyes lit up. "Taste, Jungsoo. Glad you're picking it up."

I scoff before turning serious and asks, "You still keep the diary?"

She moves away and puts the steak on the heated pan. I reach out for two wine glasses and pours for both of us.

"Yeah, I still do." Sora puts her arm over the counter and started playing with her drink, stirring it through circling motion. “I need it for myself,” she says before sipping.

“Do you often have the attacks?” 

She bitterly smiles and stares at a space before shrugging. “Not anymore. I barely have episodes now but… it kind of became a habit, per se? It calms me every time I open the notebook.”

The red notebook I gave her at the start of the year probably has tons of memories and emotions scribbled in it already. When I gave her that notebook, Sora was totally different from how she is right now. I feel like I could give myself a pat in the back for being able to help her through her rough times.

“It’s almost full...” She trails.

“I’ll give you a new one, don’t worry.” I try comforting her through my words but her eyes are too honest to even conceal the worry she’s feeling.

“It won’t be the same, Jungsoo.” She then snaps out of her trance and looks at me. Sora
clinks our glasses and drinks a good amount of wine. 

“Why are we talking about this so
early?”

It’s as if there’s a switch button inside her t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter