Page 5

Directory of Lost Souls | TeukChul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The scorching afternoon is long gone and I'm glad I just decided to sleep through it. I botch my energy to stand so I could open my laptop and read my team's responses regarding the sudden long weekend I declared. Well, technically, it wasn't really I who declared it but Shindong. That man, really. It's fine with me, though. Everyone needs the time to recuperate from the laborious week of the deadline we all faced. I browse through their replies which mainly consists of thanking me and wishing others to enjoy. I send out an email to everyone asking them to turn their emails off and enjoy our much-needed vacations.
 
I turned my laptop off and connected my phone to the bluetooth speaker that surrounds the whole room, even the bathroom. Shindong said that our rooms are the most basic the resort can offer and it left me wondering how exquisite and extravagant looking would be the rooms on the higher tier. I press on the shuffle play button and leave my phone on top of the white dresses, accented with gold plated linings before I make my way to the big bathroom.
 
A note is carefully placed on top of the marble sink, in front of the enormous mirror that occupies the totality of the wall. I turn the tap on to fill the white clawfoot tub lavishly placed beside the tall french window, overlooking the maze garden of Alcatraces. I throw the bath bomb in the tub and it sizzles to fill the bathroom with a flowery scent. I turn the dim light to match the mood of the dusk outside. All the lights outside are , looking like each was taken out from an empire chandelier.
 
I strip and sink to the tub and feel the warm water fill my senses. I rest my body and enjoy the rush of comfort seep with each breath that I take. After a few minutes, I sit up and pull my knees to my chest. I look at the view and there's a picture-perfect art I never knew could exist in real life. So many colors are put together to make a real-life painting. I push my hair with my wet hand and all the loose strands come together in a clump towards the end of my head. That's when I spot a familiar figure wandering inside the maze, blending with the green background–almost one with the view.
 
He walks slowly as though he's warily counting his steps. He turns right with two steps but quickly reverses and continues walking straight. His hands sit inside his pockets; his head low. I espy a man cannily wandering a rabbit warren place in the dark. An odd mixture of curiosity and repose—a sudden equilibrium I've been longing. 
 
Wake up beautiful
Just take it slow
For me to show
 
The song playing in the background suddenly has my heart on my throat. I couldn't quite rivet to my relaxation with the whole scenario playing in front of me. I lose my sanity. How is this feeling again?
 
When light strikes your face
It's love's embrace
How well would you know?
 
I stare at him as he moves between each turn, finally three steps away from the end of the maze. He knows his way out. He looks up and gapes at the stars that are very much visible, hanging pretty low from the dark sky but still fetching.
 
I open the drain and watch as the glittery red liquid slowly goes down. With the liquid's absence, my body is out in the open. I have no idea if the dim light in the bathroom is enough for the eye to see me from outside but when I look out again, he is nowhere to be found anymore.
 
I stand and wear the bathrobe hanging on the wall close to the tub. As if on cue, the song stops and my phone rings. I bet my friends are already looking for me. The sound echoes inside the whole room and I struggle to slowly step out of the tub to avoid any accidents. I'm a clumsy person and the last thing I need right now is a bruised and limp body.
 
"There you are!" Donghae stands as soon as he spots me from the entrance of the resort's dining hall which pretty much resembles the one from the movie Beauty and the Beast. 
 
Grinning, I wave my hand and slightly pull my polo. Donghae throws his arms around me and stays a little longer for the embrace. Shindong laughs as he stands to get food. Donghae pulls out the vacant chair in between them. I look around and a handful of tables are also occupied but the atmosphere still exudes calmness. 
 
"Were you guys here for a while now?" I pick up my fork to get a watermelon from Hae's plate.
 
"Yeah. About half an hour already. Where were you?" He asks, before sipping his avocado shake.
 
I stand, readying myself to get some food. "Was sleeping the whole afternoon. I went straight to the bath when I woke up." I move aside. "I'll just get myself some food."
 
Donghae nods his head so I make my way to the buffet table. Everything is perfectly laid out for the diner's easy access but what catches my attention is the pancake's smell near the bread standee. I look at the cook and ask, "Is that pancake I'm smelling?"
 
"Oh, good evening, and yes, sir. We serve freshly cooked pancakes here. You can give your preferences to her." He points to the girl a few tables beside him who's busy cooking pancakes. 
 
"Thank you," I say.
 
"It's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter