2.

Ding Dong

Weekends has arrived, for Chorong that was the slowest week of the month. Just like a little girl waiting for her birthday, she never been so anxious for the arrival of the day, there was no deny that she did have sleepless during the weekdays and couldn’t stop praying for Saturday to arrive, and also the first festival she would be ditching her besties and going with Eunji, and it was the part that made her restless.

“Unnie stay still.” Bomi asked her for the umpteenth time, but it was impossible when your heart beating frantically, thinking about spending time with Eunji, and to make in worse, the brush Bomi using to help her putting on makeup was tickling. “Just a little more.” A final touch from the YouTuber and on top of that, wearing the outfits recommended from the famous influencer, Naeun, everything was perfectly in place.

“You look perfect.” said Bomi and Naeun in unison as they looked at Chorong proudly from head to toe. A pale pink sweater accompanied with a pair of ripped jeans, simple yet fashionable on her. Lastly, a little make up made her already delicate features stand out. Chorong was not used to take care of her looks, much less to drag attention, but for that particular day she had the desire to look good, to look beautiful, and more than anything, she wanted to hear those words from that certain person.

Chorong looked at the time on her watch, it was almost the time and she didn’t want to make Eunji wait. “Thank you, I’m going.” She took the small bag with her phone, and the other two simply followed her to the exit. When she was about to open the door, “Good luck on your date with Eunji.” Bomi mocked and Naeun giggled beside her. She turned to see her housemate who was looking her with that I might be a fool but I know all your sins smile.

“H-how did you knew?”

“I have my contacts.” Bomi’s vague response to Chorong, perhaps Eunji told Bomi herself because she remembered that she had not mentioned to anyone including her besties that she was going to date Eunji. Chorong had forgotten that it was actually with her housemate Eunji usually spent time with and both of them were buddy since diaper. But at that moment, Chorong did not have time to think about other stuff, so she simply left the subject and finally opened the door.

“And it’s not a date!” Chorong screamed. To think of a date with Eunji, strangely make her nervous about it.

 

 

Eunji had planned everything in details so that the next few hours with Chorong would be perfect. She had checked the weather was at its finest; She spent hours in front of the mirror deciding her outfit, studied game tricks online to make sure she will win something for Chorong. With the help from Bomi, Eunji get to know Yongsun, who appeared to be Chorong’s bestie. Yongsun helped Eunji lot, coached her on everything that Chorong likes and dislikes, adding pieces of information to the details she already had about Chorong during their small talks at the café and from someone helped her in secret. Nothing could go wrong, only if she had more courage, because she had thought to finally confess her true feelings to Chorong.

Eunji was standing on her tiptoes, cursing inside, wishing she was taller in the moment, scanning as far as she could to search of a single person, but only waves of unknown faces. Even after having thought of meeting at the least crowded street, just that day they really had to close the road. Eunji looked at the time, it was five minutes past the agreed time, thanks to Bomi’s message that told that Chorong had already left the house, but that it even made her very uneasy. Eunji feared the other girl was having bad time in the crowds, Eunji knew Chorong didn’t like crowds. Decided not to move from the agreed spot, but the thought of Chorong lost in the crowds already start making Eunji feeling paranoid, almost making Eunji run crazily, looking for her. It was an almost, a small tug in the corner of her shirt cancelled it.

Eunji’s chin almost fell to the floor and she felt her mind haywire in a second as her eyes on the figure behind. Boldly scanning Chorong from head to toe, amazed by the beautiful view in front of her. Eunji had never thought that Chorong could look prettier and perfect than she already was, but she was speechless. Once her eyes reached Chorong’s face, she could feel her heart was about to explode; the other girl could not meet her eye, the flushed cheeks plus her innocent expression, was purely adorable.

“Y-you are beautiful Chorong.” Eunji’s voice came out excessively soft. “Sunbae. I-I mean Chorong-sunbae.” Eunji quickly corrected herself as soon as she realized she was talking informal and saw Chorong startled, causing all her sense to return and her cheeks turned reddish.

“Thank you.” Chorong replied with a timid murmur. “Sorry for being late, there were a lot of people and I had hard time finding you.”

“No worries.” Eunji couldn’t stop taking perfect picture in her mind, hoping that Bomi was there helping to record all of them, or her brain and eyes would do their work properly record in her memory every second with Chorong. “Let’s go.”

Although they already been through the period of time where it was awkward to be alone with each other, but the air that day felt more different than usual. The voices and other sounds felt distant, as if everything around them had disappeared, only concentrate on the person they had next to each other. Eunji was having hard time, her eyes as if having their own mind, would occasionally steal glances at Chorong, who immediately turned her head to look back, discovering Eunji staring, and making her returned her gaze to the road in front. Eunji had to be thinking of something to say, not behaving like a creep, looking at Chorong.

“Want to try the dart-balloon before we get in?” Eunji pointed out energetically, it was a part of her plan to impress Chorong. Eunji is good at archery and that merely dart throwing game was a piece of cake to her; Eunji will show her skill and get some plushie for Chorong. She thought positively and confident.

“Sure.” Chorong replied and following Eunji to the game.

 

 

One round after another, “ONE MORE TIME!” Eunji demanded for the fourth time, she tried to aim the centre balloon that will reward them with the biggest plushie, failed as the rest of her throws fell in another place. Eunji couldn’t leave things like that, that was so embarrassing, and she couldn’t afford to let Chorong to see her in that state, trying hard to regain her dignity.

Chorong discovered Eunji competitive, but she found it adorable. “Can I try?” Chorong who observed Eunji from behind, already knew from the beginning that with Eunji’s slightly shaky aim, she is not going to make it.

“Go ahead.” Eunji did not object at all.

Three attempts were enough for Chorong to get the centre target cleared, then she managed to clear the rest without much greater effort, not missed a shot, all of them accurately hit the targets, leaving the people seeing watching aside, the seller, and especially Eunji astonished. Not expecting that delicate girl have so much skills. “My brother and I play dart to decide who do the house chores.” Chorong explained Eunji while carrying a huge teddy bear.

Now they were sitting on the wide field, far from the crowds, but close enough to enjoy the performance by the musicians. Ice cream in each one’s hand, that all Eunji managed to treat as she overspent her money, yet she still managed to win a small panda key ring, that strangely was the one Chorong seem happiest when receiving from Eunji.

“Isn’t it good?” Chorong asked with concern as she saw Eunji had barely touched hers, the ice is melting.

“Still can’t believe you saw me in such a shameful situation.” The moment she really hoped the earth could swallow her. Eunji said looking sideways at Chorong, but Chorong tilted her head in confusion, throwing more darts at Eunji’s heart. “I swear I’m really good in those games, just today I failed spectacularly.” Eunji had to explain, and surely at that moment Chorong should had think of her as a failure.

"I don't know what you mean," Chorong replied. At first Eunji thought the older was simply being kind, but couldn’t find any trace of lies in her words. "because I've been having a lot of fun. Thank you for inviting me, Eunji." Chorong added with a radiant smile from side to side that took away Eunji’s breath.

Eunji just stared at her, Chorong was not only beautiful, but also funny, and sometime will let out her high-pitched laugh, just like a dolphin, that only made Eunji fall for her even harder. That feeling had become more overwhelming, and she couldn’t contain in anymore, decided not to hide anymore, she had to make things right, confessed to Chorong face to face.

"Sunbae." Now she had all her attention, but the more Chorong looked at her with expectation, the more stuck the words were in . She could hear her heart rumbling loudly in her chest, shouting at her to let out those three words. Eunji had to stop being a coward and confess once and for all. "There's something I have to tell you."

“What?”

“Eeh, I-I like...” Eunji couldn’t, the words just were stuck in and she was already despairing, but just when she tried to continue, the fireworks shoot across the night sky, and painted in with colours. Chorong was shocked by the loud explosion; Eunji took the chance, gently pulling her arm, pulling Chorong closer to her, sudden action made her blushed and proceed to cover the senior ears. “Thanks.” Chorong mouthed as a new tingle attacking her whole body.

After the firework show ended, Eunji thought she could never do it, a small idea came to her mind "I-I was about to tell you that I have a performance next weekend." If everything went according to how she had imagined it, she might feel confident enough to confess.

“I would like you to come and see me, and after it, please let me tell you something that I have kept since a long time ago." said Eunji politely.

Chorong watched her in silence for a few seconds as if she wanted to read her thoughts, making Eunji feel she was about to get a rejection, and if that was the case, she wouldn’t have enough strength to confess, "Okay." Chorong answered along with a faint smile.

 

 

An hour later, they were walking back to Chorong's dorm, which despite of having refused to Eunji’s offer on walked her back, the youngest was very insistent. On their way back, Chorong felt that something had changed between both of them, in spite of continue speaking naturally, the tickles in her stomach had become unbearable as if they wanted to say something to her in despair, and if perhaps her hand would touch with one of Eunji’s, her heart seemed to want to escape from her chest. In the distance, Chorong could easily see the façade of the house, causing that without realizing it her steps become more relented but which Chorong didn’t notice, Eunji had done hust the same thing almost as if they had agreed.

“See you then.” Eunji said goodbye, they were in front of Chorong’s dorm. Immediately, a feeling of emptiness attacked, Eunji wanted to spend more time with Chorong while Chorong felt there were many things she wanted to do with her, wanted to listen more from the human jukebox singing to her, but not only to that, selfish desire grown in, Chorong wanted Eunji to see her and only her.

“Eunji-ya.” Chorong didn’t know where she gained that courage, leaned in with her eyes shut, the soft touch of Eunji’s cheek hit against her lips with a delicate peck. “Thank you for today.” Not looking at Eunji’s reaction, Chorong rushed towards her dorm and the door shut in front Eunji, leaving Eunji surprised with her sudden bold action that set her heart on fire.

The door slammed shut, and her back pressed against the wood unable to move, just thinking about what had just happened was enough to make her heart went crazy. Hurried footsteps headed in her direction, Bomi was the one who came to her with Naeun, an expression of concern on their face, the concern grew when they saw the older completely stunned with her hand resting on the knob as if she had seen a ghost. Never seen her housemate in such state of shock, “Unnie, what happened?”

“Did Eunji do something?”

When Bomi mentioned the name, Bomi knew she had hit the jackpot. Chorong’s eyes met with her, reflecting a mixture of fear and happiness, her reddish cheeks, hand covered and her back slowly sliding down the door, Chorong had discovered all the answer to all of her question, the reason of her frantic beating heart.

“Bom-ah…” After a few seconds, she continued with a trembling voice. “I-I like Eunji.”

“What are you going to do then?” Bomi couldn’t contain her smile and sighed in relief. Bomi was aware of the situation, of course she knew Eunji’s feelings towards her housemate, and now that Chorong feeling the same. Her work was almost complete, she just needed to give both of them a bit push.

“I-I don’t know… What should I do?” After all, it was the first time Chorong felt that way towards someone.

Noticed her inexperience, “It’s simple. Be yourself.” Naeun advised.