1.

Ding Dong

Fingers flying across the keywords, her glasses resting on the tip of her nose, the study lamp beside her lit the last stack of weekly report she had to finish. She had spent her precious weekends finishing her homework and typing reports for the student council. That is how busy the student council secretary was. Park Chorong, third student in Soel National University. Maybe, her work would have been easier if it weren’t because of the laughter from the next room. When she finally had a room for herself, she thought she had gotten away from dealing with her awful ex-housemates, not until the new first year, who is bright and bubbly, yet loud moved in. Yoon Bomi.

As if her housemate’s voice wasn’t enough to break her inner peace, since noon she had heard someone else’s voice which she failed to recognize, another friend, Chorong easily deduced. Unlike like her, Bomi, the famous Youtuber. Everyone know her, even though it was just her first year. But the voice she heard didn’t match with any other she had heard before. Is definitely not Namjoo, who positively won’t agree on the YouTuber’s unwise idea to drink boiled beverages.

Her patience gauge almost reached its limit. Using her headphones, hiding herself under the bed sheet, and even trying to finish the reports in the bathroom, she tried by all means to ignore the noise, yet she couldn’t concentrate. She had enough. Her small feet brought her to her housemate front door and her fist knocking the wood, she already had in mind what she would say to her housemate and Yoon Bomi would have to listen. She waited for a couple of seconds, her arms folded, her feet tapping impatiently, perhaps she didn’t knock it hard enough for her housemate to hear so she raised her fist once again to knock, but before she could do it, the door opened and surely it was not her housemate behind it.

A moment ago, she had the lines clearly in her mind, now she had forgotten it. The girl standing in front her was definitely someone she never seen before, even she did, it would be impossible to forget someone like that. Because of the breathtaking appearance. Her shoulder-length black hair, fair skin completing with her slender figure that could easily know that she was hitting the gym often.

“You are Bomi’s housemate, right?” A silvery voice caressed her ears, she knew she was asked something by the stranger but her mind had already lost its focus, her eyes concentrate onto the stranger’s deep eyes.

“Bomi went down to buy drink she needed for her YouTube content; she should be coming back right now.” The girl’s lips curved upward and Chorong could clearly feel how her heart starts pumping chaotically as her mind went blank. Even her anger had vanished and was replaced by nervousness, then embarrassment as she began to mumble inaudible words.

“Pardon, I couldn’t hear you.” The situation worsens as the stranger leaned in to hear clearly and Chorong was not ready to see her in that close proximity. Chorong didn’t know what to do, before she would perform a shoulder throw to the person, but now she was froze on the spot.  On the verge of losing her mind.

“Rong unnie.” Finally, her housemate’s loud voice saved her frantic heart. Bomi was walking towards them with two bags of beverages. When she saw her housemate, her brain regained its function and now remembered the reason she was there standing in front of the door. “Unnie, do you want to join us? Eunji is here helping me to film my YouTube content.” Bomi said, alternating glances between her friend and her housemate.

So, the stranger is called Eunji. “I’m doing my reports, please don’t make so much noise.” Chorong asked politely. “Okey Dokey.” Bomi responded, interjecting Chorong between Eunji. The door then began to close, but before it closed completely, out of the corner of the eye, she could still see the presence of the other girl, who with a warm smile waved her hand toward her, and Chorong couldn’t do anything other than responded with a nod.

Going back to her room, Chorong couldn’t even focus on her report, because her mind was filled with that attractive smile. The weird feeling in her chest she couldn’t ignore. Recalling back, she couldn’t help but felt embarrassed thinking that how was the image that Bomi’s friend had seen, and why was she cared so much about it.


 

“Unnie, Eunji and Namjoo will come for dinner tonight.” It was the first thing Bomi said as she entered their dorm, after putting her boots in the shoes rack. “I already ordered food delivery, let’s eat together.” Then Bomi rushed to the bathroom for a quick shower.

Since the beginning of the semester, Jeong Eunji began visiting Chorong and Bomi’s dorm frequently after giving Bomi a ride back, more specifically visiting her friend since diaper. But this is the first time, she came for dinner. Usually Chorong wouldn’t care much about Bomi’s visitors, but Jeong Eunji is in different case.

The doorbell sound filled the house a few minutes later. “Unnie, it must be the delivery guy. Can you help me received it? Eunji already paid for it.” Bomi shouted from the bathroom, interrupting the comfort she found lying on the sofa listening music on her iPod.

“Coming.” Chorong responded with apathy, and made her way to the entrance. “Hi, Chorong-ssi.” Is not the delivery guy, is Eunji who just done parked her car. Eunji greeted her with formality. Chorong somehow noticed Eunji seemed to feel uncomfortable around her, even though they had met few times in the university.

“Hi.” Although Chorong is usually introverted, but whenever she had Eunji in front, she seems more timid than usual. Chorong brought the guest to the dining table, and coincidentally Bomi came out from the quick shower, saving Chorong again, from the awkward silence. Chorong mentally noted to thanks Bomi later.

Few minutes later, the sound of doorbell rang again, and it was Namjoo who came in with the group’s favorites, chicken feet. Then, they started to set the table and the conversation was brought there. Chorong and Bomi who are working in the kitchen, but her eyes were always stolen by Eunji’s presence, detailing her smile as she chats with Namjoo or came in to disturb Bomi, the gentle swing of her hair as she walks, all of it was simply amusing for her. Chorong sighed deeply before crossing the kitchen to put the dishes on the table.

“I thought only Bomi and I are the chicken feet mania.” Eunji was amazed as the group finished the dish in no time.

“Actually Rong-unnie is the biggest chicken mania among us.” “She can finish 3 persons serving by herself.” Surprisingly it was Bomi and Namjoo who answered from across the table, then sending a playful smile to each other, while Chorong tried to shoot both of them with her glare. Chorong hates to be the center of attentions, and is obvious that the duo had done it on purpose.

“Really?” Eunji halted the battle of looks by getting Chorong’s attention. Eunji was looking at her and inly at her, and there it was again the switch of Chorong’s frantic beating heart was again, it beat so hard as if it can rip her chest, blood circulated, and her face went tomato red. Chorong couldn’t maintain eye contact with Eunji.

“Yes.” Her voice was so tiny that she feared that Eunji couldn’t get her, but in burst of bravery Chorong turned her eyes to the figure that made her so anxious.

“Then I should really bring you that restaurant Namjoo recommended, they have to best chicken feet.” That attractive smile curved again, as if happiness were overflowing and Eunji’s eyes had a different shine. Even her voice sounded different.

A silence settled in the air, Bomi and Namjoo were amused at the scene, sensing that she will have more opportunities to tease them, but soon Bomi broke it up. “You know Namjoo never wrong with food recommendations.”


 

It was already the fifth time she looked at the time on her phone. The voice of the lecture reading slides in front of the class, the slow pace reading by the lecturer in his fifty only caused the weight of Chorong’s eyelids gained heavier sentences by sentences. Looking around, her friend Changsub, Kibum, mostly the guys had already lost the battle with sleepiness, her besties, Irene and Yongsun, was playing with their phone. Chorong really wanted to focus like Seohyun, but after the lecturer changing the slides and started another round of babbling, she knew she lost.

Looking out the class, a silhouette caught her attention. In the group who was busy setting up and decorating the stage for the upcoming university festival, the figure she could recognize easily. The only thing that her eyes could see was the smile and joy that came from Eunji’s eyes as she messing with her friend on the stage, playing with the mops. Chorong discovered that Eunji loves to fool around with friends same as Bomi, no wonder they went along so well. Even with distance, Eunji stand out in Chorong’s eyes no matter how far or how surrounded she was.

Maybe it just her luck or something else, Eunji looked up to Chorong’s direction and something inside Chorong told her that in fact Eunji was staring at her too. Eunji raised her arm, and started to wave to her direction. Seeing from afar, is like an excited waving its tail to its owner. Confirming that she was waving at her, Chorong quickly felt her face burning as she was caught staring, but thanks God that the bell saved her and allow her to run out the class for air, leaving Irene bewildered by her action.

 

 

“That’s for today’s meeting.” The fourth-year senior announced and the members of student council started to pack their stuff and left the meeting room. Chorong is getting busier as she was appointed to monitor the preparation of university festival. Nonetheless, it’s Friday, Chorong will stop by her favorite place, before returning to her parent house for the weekend. Twenty minutes of bus ride from the university to her neighborhood, Chorong was already close to her destination, and it was none other than her favorite music café. She discovered the café last summer. That café was different from others, hidden away from the hustling city, simple on the outside, inside was filled with aroma of freshly brew coffee and various of LPs and albums to choose to listen inside. An area to relax yourself, a small corner where you could get all the biscuits, and some board games were located in another small corner. The main point is the place was not crowded, so it just like a utopia for Chorong. The first thing she did after entering the café was ordering her favorite coffee, and then went to look for some LPs and albums to listen while reading her favorite book, Miracle at the reading area. Melodic, soothing voice caressed her ears, all with a smile from ear to ear as she enjoys her me time, it was in those moments that Chorong could truly says she was happy.

Her happiness ritual had to put into an end when she received message from her younger brother, Chanyeol, texting her that it’s about dinner and she should be on the way back. Chorong paid for coffee by card as she returned the mug. She texted back Chanyeol as usual while waiting, but her card was not returned.

“I’ve always wondered why you never look at me when you pay, Chorong-ssi.” That voice, that chuckle. “Aren’t you afraid that I key in an extra zero?” Chorong felt her whole body tensed, and slowly turn her attention to the smiling barista, it was actually Jeong Eunji who was behind the counter. “Hi.” Eunji greeted again when she saw no reaction from Chorong.

“Ya! What are you doing here?!” Realizing her rude question inevitably Chorong felt ashamed, “Sorry, I’m just a bit surprised.”

“No worries, this café belongs to my family, so I usually help a lot after class.” Eunji said as she returned Chorong’s card, but Chorong’s mind was still trying to process everything.

“Did you attend me before?” Chorong asked, no matter how she tried to recall, she did not remember having seen Eunji before.

“A few times, but you always on your phone texting when you are paying.” Now what tormented her was to know how long Eunji has been watching her from aside.

“You must think I’m rude.” Chorong said timidly.

“Not at all. You looked cute when you are focused reading and humming to the song, it’s really fun and beautiful to watch you.” Eunji replied instantly, make Chorong’s face turned red. “Is not like I’ve been watching you every time you were here. Now, you must think I’m rude.” Eunji spoke really fast, so fast that she sounded like a rapper, almost biting her tongue. “Guess we are tied now.” Eunji tried to joke as there was an awkward silence between them. Chorong laughed a little at what Eunji said. “Yes.” As soon as the word left her tongue, the ringing of her phone on her hand, reminded her it was almost dinner time.

“Your family?”

“Yes, I didn’t realize it was so late. I have to go now.”

“Let me walk you home.” Eunji walked out from the counter, inside her wishing that the time with Chorong can passed a bit slower.

“It’s not necessary, you have a café to take care too.”

“It’s not a big deal. I can close it a little earlier today, after all you are the number one client.” Eunji winked at her as she gave one of her dazzling smiles, there’s no way someone can refuse if she does that. “Please just let me do it.”

“If you insist so much.”

 

The way home was the most pleasure route she had in a long time, Chorong got to know more about Eunji. Chorong discovered that Eunji can be a good radio DJ as Eunji could make her enjoy with the simplest conversation; talking about how she and Bomi met, her favorite color, her favorite song, Chorong think she could sit for hours just to listen Eunji’s talk. Chorong didn’t even feel the need to force herself to find any topic of the conversation, the words flowing out naturally as she told Eunji about things she faced in university, her favorite book, she was slowly stepping out her comfort zone, and she must admit that she likes it.

Arrived at the entrance of Chorong’s parents house, and somehow a kind of disappointment felt by both. The only thing missing was the farewell. A little hesitating, Chorong turned her body to face Eunji. “Thank you so much for accompany me home.” Chorong tried to put her best smile. “Even though it was short, I had a lot of fun.”

“I enjoyed it too.” said Eunji, her gaze still on Chorong’s. “If you are free, we should really pay a visit to the chicken feet restaurant Namjoo recommended. You will definitely like it.”

Chorong thought it had been boring for the younger girl to spend time with her, but it was just the opposite, and now Eunji invited her to spend more time together. “Sure, I would like to.”

“Great.” Eunji unable to contain her joy, “Well, see you then.” She said goodbye before resuming her way back, repeatedly looking back and waving at Chorong, almost bumped into the streetlamp.

Chorong laughed and stared at Eunji until she disappeared into a corner while trying to understand that strange feelings in her chest and her lips unknowingly curved upward.

“I’m home.” Chorong announced as she took off her shoes at the doorway, only welcomed by her over-protective brother.

“Noona, you almost late for dinner.” Chanyeol, was the most protective within the Park siblings.

“I’m so sorry, it will not happen again.”

“That’s what you said last time.” He complained as he followed his sister footsteps to the kitchen, helping their mom setting the table.

“That happened too long ago.” After putting the last pair of chopsticks, Chorong headed toward her room to change her clothes.

“And it seems you didn’t learn from it.” Chanyeol continued, but started to notice something strange in his sister behavior. “Your breathing is more rhythmic, your eyes are shining a little more, and you smell a different fragrance. Who were you with noona?” Chanyeol asked curiously with a subtle smile.

“You-you are crazy.” Chorong stuttered as all the blood rushed to her face, felt like her younger brother could actually read her thoughts.


 

Chorong already felt she was dying in the statistics class, the only thing that she wanted at the moment was to eat something and thus perhaps her moods went up when the lecturer announced dismissal for the class. She was already standing with one foot out of the room with her desk mate, Irene and her friend, Yongsun.

“Chorong.” The president of student council’s energetic voice made her steps stop when she was about to escape. Slowly turned her body back, praying to all the gods she knew that it was not what she was thinking, but even Irene and Yongsun were already looking at her pitifully.

“You called me Yoseob-sunbaenim.”

“Would you mind follow me to the student council room. There’s thing I would like to discuss about the coming festival.” From aside, Irene and Yongsun already sent her funny look, laughing at their friend’s misery, leaving Chorong and heading their way to the cafeteria after waving to Chorong. Chorong refrained herself from letting down a heavy sign, but she had no choice but to follow her senior.

“I can’t believe you girls did it again.” Chorong heard a scolding voice coming from the Music Club as she passed by. She can easily recognize it was belonged to Sooyoung, the president doing the scolding, but she couldn’t see the poor students who were getting yell at, but neither Chorong intend to interfere in others problems. “I could expect something like this from Peniel and Eunji, but no you Jieun-ah.”

Over listened to the name she recognized, Chorong stopped her steps. Slowly lean her body back, head to the place where the scolding came from, those eyes were already looking to none other than Eunji. Eunji was accompanied by two others, all three were wet from head to toe, and beside them were about five water guns that could already give you a bath with one single shot.

Water droplets dropping from the tips of Eunji’s hair, her wet white shirt clung a little on her, revealing her definite torso, thanks to the sunlight on the scraps of the water on her skin, her skin was gleaming. Eunji smiled mischievously as if she was proud of the mischief she was involved.

Feeling a strong gaze up on her, Eunji turned her head toward the door where Chorong at. Her smile deepened as she caught Chorong watching.

“Eunji-ya, are you listening to me?” Sooyoung’s stern voice caused Eunji to put her focus back on her, but the smile still didn’t leave her lips. Chorong giggled at the sight of the trios with their bowing heads. After recording the image in her head, Chorong finally left the place.

Chorong walked slowly towards the council room that was located at the end of the corridor, she still couldn’t let the last sight go. It was somehow graceful and captivating for her, and realizing the influence that Eunji had on her, by having seen her for only a few seconds, Chorong can felt like her chest going wild again. For the past few weeks, Chorong visited Eunji parent’s café, staying for hours as usual, and when Eunji was there, they would talk about anything, the time with her was never enough as both of them are getting closer.

“Chorong-sunbae.” Her mind went back to its place when the exalted voice of that person who was just in her mind called her name. Eunji ran up to her. “There is something I want to ask.” Eunji said nervously.

“Is it important?”

“Yes, it is.” Eunji took a step closer to Chorong, then closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Chorong had found that when Eunji is nervous, she often closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, and that’s just what she was doing now. “I-I have an extra ticket for the upcoming music festival this Saturday. A-and would you like to go with me?”

Chorong had to analyze every word to be able to believe what she was listening was not imagined. Eunji invited her to one of the biggest music festivals in town, indeed Chorong would have to go with Yongsun or Irene cause their favorite singer are going to perform.

“I would love to.” Chorong answered naturally.